'05 LT Weak Throttle Response - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 10:30 am Thread Starter

'05 LT Weak Throttle Response

All;

My 2005 LT has a very weak throttle response when starting out in first gear, or even when rolling at low RPM's. I've read about the "brown wire fix", but it seems the 2005 and later LT's don't have the brown wire.

Any suggestions on how I can improve the throttle response on my '05 LT?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to reading your replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 12:20 pm

Not really sure what your saying your bike isn't doing,,, But remember its a high RPM motor..... For quick acceleration you need to have the RPM up, then you will feel the rapid acceleration you might be looking for... 4500RPM to red line is where this motor plays.............Pete
post #3 of 14 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 1:00 pm

Don't expect the LT to have power until 3K, below that and they do feel a little weak. Above the 3k mark they have plenty of power. I was at a buddy's house a few months ago and he has a new GW he kept talking about the power of the 1800 and how it is a torque monster and makes everything in it's class pale in comparison. So when I left I rolled out the drive way and onto the street and just as I was about 3k I rolled the throttle on and gave a fast pinch to the clutch and to my supprise and his, the LT's rear tire lit up howled and smoked for 20' and when I shifted into second it made a nice loud chip! I called him when I got home and asked him if he thought his GW would do that running on 4 cyclinders, he no longers brags about how powerful his GW is. I know it was stupid but it sure felt good.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

post #4 of 14 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 3:14 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If you really want to get going don't shift out first gear until 60 mph. (It is good to 62 before the rev limiter kicks in). I usuall hit second at 55.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 3:20 pm

Might be helpful to know what your previous bike was (is). The LT will not break any records for acceleration, but it is plenty quick for a full-sized touring rig.

It's not a Ninja.
post #6 of 14 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 8:07 pm

Talking I've got the 05 as well

Hi Chuck,

I agree that "smokin" the tires at a red light requires work.

I can stay very respectable towards the cages and other bikes I run across.

Bottom line is what has been said "Keep the RPMs High". Th ebike has a "different motor" over 4K, USE IT ! !

Learn its Quartks---Love its Quarks

WELCOME TO THE LT

Joe
post #7 of 14 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 11:46 pm

Thumbs up My solution

I have a 05 as well. It is a low-end torque and horsepower availability problem, based on moderate startup RPM’s. As stated in other replies, the LT is set-up to respond to higher RPM’s. As I do a lot of two-up riding I already had the following done

I installed a Remus Titanium exhaust system, with the street canister. This improves low-end torque and provides some additional HP to get you moving. The alternative sport canister provides more torque/HP on the upper end of the powerband. The added benefits: You lose the catalytic unit on the exhaust system, which is quite heavy. Less weight is obviously better. It also makes changing the transmission oil very easy.

Having recently acquired a Uni-go, I am in the process of doing the following:

My LT is at the BMW Dealer right now having the “Rhinewest Performance” 05 Cam Gear set installed to improve the mid-range in both torque and HP. It basically provides the power curve earlier and squeezes more torque and HP out of the LT within the mid-range of the power band. You can see both the Cam Gear set and performance graph here: http://www.rhinewestperformance.com/K1200LT.htm. When I talked to Rhinewest last week I was told that with both the Remus and their cam set I would definitely see a very noticeable improvement in performance. I was already told by the BMW mechanics how impressed they were with a cam gear install they had just recently completed on another LT.

I am also having the Dealer research if there is a “ceramic’ clutch plate available to improve what I feel is the one significant weak link in the LT’s power delivery, a dry clutch. The more aggressive you are with the clutch the sooner you will need to replace it. Especially with two-up riding and pulling a trailer. You are more likely to wear out the engine before wearing out a ceramic clutch. Pretty much standard in most racing set-ups. The service guys are pretty sure there is one so I have my fingers crossed.

With this set-up, I really hope I can ride it like I stole it!!!!!!!!!!!!

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
post #8 of 14 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 12:14 am

Any plans to dyno it after the job ?

2011 BMW 1600GTL
2000 BMW R1100R
2008 Burgman 650EX
post #9 of 14 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 12:30 am

I installed the Remus street can and the cams gears from Rhinewest. I noticed right away that it would hit redline faster than before. It is louder and seems to make the bike vibrate more at idle, I think that is just from eleminating the very heavy exhaust system. I ride with custom moulded ear plugs so the noise doesn't bother me and most of my friends really like the new sound. Midrange roll-on is improved and MPG has stayed the same, top speed this last trip was just under 135 on the speedo and 127 on the GPS I did a high speed run on this same road last year and GPS read 123 so it seems the top speed is a little better. If my wife ever decides to ride with me I will probably put the stock exhaust back on.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #10 of 14 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 1:10 am

Probably not. Not looking for the results on paper. Looking for the results in how it performs on the road.

Perry Ridgway

oknplm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornHonker
Any plans to dyno it after the job ?
post #11 of 14 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 1:54 am

Not currently getting any vibration with the Remus? Did the vibration start after the cam gear install? I assume the valves were checked and/or adjusted after the cam gear install? This is a very important step in the installation, especially on the exhaust side. You may also want to check the back exhaust hanger to insure it is tight. I had a rattle that I tracked to the back exhaust bracket about a month after the Remus install. Only noticable when stopped and just needed re-tightened.

For the noise issue I added a 6 inches stainless steel exhaust tip. It actually reduced the sound level for both my wife and I, without restricting the flow. Probably same sound level but it just throws the sound further back and from under the LT. It also keeps the underside of the LT much cleaner.

Perry Ridgway

oknplm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatson
I installed the Remus street can and the cams gears from Rhinewest. I noticed right away that it would hit redline faster than before. It is louder and seems to make the bike vibrate more at idle, I think that is just from eleminating the very heavy exhaust system. I ride with custom moulded ear plugs so the noise doesn't bother me and most of my friends really like the new sound. Midrange roll-on is improved and MPG has stayed the same, top speed this last trip was just under 135 on the speedo and 127 on the GPS I did a high speed run on this same road last year and GPS read 123 so it seems the top speed is a little better. If my wife ever decides to ride with me I will probably put the stock exhaust back on.
post #12 of 14 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 1:33 pm

I was recently with my brother inlaw on his Aprilia twin riding in Oregon, he was blown away when he saw what the LT would do passing several cars up hill (60 to 100 pretty quick) , the LT is a road bike, torquey twins are alot more fun in the city. My wife recently commented on a trip that the LT seemed to be running alot smoother (she said it reminded her more of a Lexus ride) , I believe the reason was that on this trip I rode in 4th more, 5000 RPM is smoother that 3800, these really are high RPM bikes.

2005 K1200LT (Graphite w/gray)
2007 R1200GSA
1979 Vespa 100
1982 Honda Passport
post #13 of 14 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 2:29 pm

Wink Simple $10 Solution

http://www.throttlerocker.com/

I added one of these at the VT Rally last year, and I think it has helped me keep the revs up, with less time spent clutching the throttle in a grip. I can use the heal of my right hand, to add steady power and then work the clutch as is needed with my left. More satisfying. Throw in a slight dragging of the rear brake at slow spend and you've got something now!!

Also trying starting out a dead stop in 2nd gear to experiment a little.

My $.02. These LTs take some getting used to and you got to work with 'em, but how great they are!!

GoldRush
'06 K1200LT - As of March 2017!
'05 K1200LT - RIP - (totaled 7/8/08)
Former Yankee Beemer Member
Former BMWMOA Member
post #14 of 14 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 3:55 pm

Talking

Just got back from the dealer to pickup my LT. Knew right away that it was a nice install by the way the mechanic was smiling upon my arrival. Even with the hot ride home (100+ w/extremely high humidity) I had a smile on my face. Very noticeable improvement. It has a strong pull right from the start and just keeps delivering it to you. Absolutely no hesitation through the power band. Not any louder or any additional vibration either. Will need to find some open road to really open it up. But so far I like the results.

Perry Ridgway

oknplm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in