Well I guess I'm going to chuck the bike - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 9:47 am Thread Starter

Well I guess I'm going to chuck the bike

I've given it my best shot and I must admit that I'm seriously disappointed in the K1200LT. The bike is almost impossible to handle at slow speeds, taking off from a dead start to a sharp turn you must say a prayer, when you brake at slow speeds there is no feel to the brakes they just grab, when you take off if you don't have the RPM's up and slip the clutch the bike stalls, etc, ....etc.

I've given it my best shot but I can't figure out why anybody who has purchased this bike isn't throwing rocks at BMW.

VernRuth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 9:52 am

You need to get rid of that junk. I notice none of those problems with mine, I don't start giving throttle till after the clutch is out. Maybe you need to try a trike!
post #3 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 9:53 am

The bike certainly provides some interesting challenges to a new owner. Obviously, there are a number of us who've successfully overcome these challenges. Keep trying, the benefits are well worth it! And good luck!

Mike

post #4 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 9:58 am

You're right. It sucks. How much you want for it?

Scott

2000 Canyon Red LTC
"Arizona"
"You are what you are and you ain't what you ain't."
post #5 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 9:59 am

Sorry to hear you're throwing in the towel. The LT is the best there is for what it is intended to do (extended touring), but if urban riding is the majority of your time, probably best to move back to a cruiser like the Valk.
post #6 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 10:03 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofitel505
Sorry to hear you're throwing in the towel. The LT is the best there is for what it is intended to do (extended touring), but if urban riding is the majority of your time, probably best to move back to a cruiser like the Valk.

Funny

My last bike was a Valk Interstate that I put 25K on. Fantastic piece of machinery.
post #7 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 10:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernRuth
I've given it my best shot and I must admit that I'm seriously disappointed in the K1200LT. The bike is almost impossible to handle at slow speeds, taking off from a dead start to a sharp turn you must say a prayer, when you brake at slow speeds there is no feel to the brakes they just grab, when you take off if you don't have the RPM's up and slip the clutch the bike stalls, etc, ....etc.
I've given it my best shot but I can't figure out why anybody who has purchased this bike isn't throwing rocks at BMW.
VernRuth
If you are being sincere and not just trying to ruffle some feathers here, I'd say at least you gave it a try and you should be true to yourself. I caught some flak from some GW dude here because I recommended a Goldwing for easier handling per published reports. Might want to look there.

The LT is not for everyone. I found it a challenge myself at first. But I like a challenge and it's definitely not a boring ride...that I like. And the LT is a cruise ship on long rides, and my wife LOVES that.

For me the LT is it. For you maybe not. There's a lot to choose from out there. Good luck finding one you will fall in love with.
post #8 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 10:13 am

I'm just curious> Did you ever have a BMW tech try the bike out or maybe another LT owner ride it? It may be just like the rest, however if you don't know the prior history there could be something lurking from an accident.
Having said that, after 2 years I still get an anxious feeling making slow left U-Turns with the wife and gear loaded!
post #9 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 10:13 am

Took the training wheels off a little early did you ?

What kind of LT did you get ? Mine certainly handles well at slow speeds, and the brakes are awesome.

Been reading about how to start out from a dead stop here recently, and I've never really paid much mind on how I start out, but made my own observations on the technique last night.

Dead stop, 1000 rpm......clutch out and rolling down the highway at 1500 rpm...no muss, no fuss. Nail the throttle and pay attention, 'cause 2nd gear comes up mighty fast. Put the motorcycle in 5th gear at 35mph, and you WILL get a bogging problem.

The BMW K1200LT is not a generic lifestyle motorcycle, but by the way you are trashing the bike, you most certainly seem to be a generic lifestyle rider.

BMW's are not for posers.

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #10 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 10:31 am

Sorry to hear about your frustrations. It is all about technique and with some good instruction/reading and practice it is really not a difficult motorcycle to ride at any speed. Have you tried a MSF course? You might try one and ask for some help on low speed handeling. Just a thought.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #11 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 10:55 am

I did ride two Goldwings for many years before my LT. 1100 Interstate and 1500 Aspencade. Both were very good bikes for long straight roads. But I did not like them in the mountains. Moved to a LT a few years ago and been very happy very since. I did notice the slow speed handling on my very first ride and I adjusted. I did take a Advance MSF coarse and completed every stage. This helped me to improve on my slow speed skill.

Every year my wife and I take our LT to North Carolina in the spring and Colorado in the summer. The LT just eats up the twistey like no other touring bike I have riden before.

Doug Meinen
2002 BMW K1200LTC - Titian Silver
1998 BMW Z3 roadster 2.8 - Montreal Blue

Clubs
BMW MOA
BMW RA
BMW CCA
post #12 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 11:41 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo1137
Sorry to hear about your frustrations. It is all about technique and with some good instruction/reading and practice it is really not a difficult motorcycle to ride at any speed. Have you tried a MSF course? You might try one and ask for some help on low speed handeling. Just a thought.
Been there done that! I have been riding a lot of bikes for a lot of years. The 2002 LT was just had a 12K service, new tires, .....the works! I'm not trying to offend anyone but I am amazed that such a "high-end" bike is so difficult to handle. The BMW tech guy told me that he thought the bike was in fantastic shape.

However, I will take some good sound advice I have gotten here and take the bike back to a tech and get another opinion.

Thanks!
post #13 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 11:41 am

Quote:

VernRuth
If you must throw it away, be sure to throw it in my direction! I absolutely loved mine, and had none of the problems you are experiencing. I would love to take it off your hands. Where can I pick it up?

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #14 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 11:52 am

Same here ..... in the early days

I felt the same as you and after dropping it twice in one day, difficult slow speed handling and lots of second thoughts, I slowed down and concentrated particulary hard at intersections and slow speed maneuvering.

Quite frankly, I did not feel really comfortable until I had about 4-5,000 miles on it. That is not to say that I did not enjoy most of the 4-5,000 miles, I just felt that I had to concentrate a little more than would be expected. I found that I had to just be extra careful at stops and turns because the forks will not absorb the front momentum the way a Harley will. Aside from all of the above, I really do feel that there is not another bike on the road that will make me smile the way this bike does. I ride it at all opportunities, short trips and long and always wish that the ride was a little further.

Not trying to talk you into not quitting, just want you to know that you too will probably feel as I do if you give it a chance. You'll look back and be glad that you did.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #15 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 11:59 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I too had trouble with the low speed handling of the bike. It was about a year and 4000 miles before I was comfortable with the LT. Now over 20,000 miles later I can't think of anything about the bike I don't like.

Stevie Shreeve
post #16 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 12:03 pm

bummer, more for the rest if us I suppose What are you going to sell it for. Since you appear to think it is a piece of crap, I hope your selling price will reflect this attitude
post #17 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 12:11 pm

I understand that they have change the front fork to help with slow riding in the newer models. I was told and read in this site about the slow handeling problems but now that I am driving a new model I have no problems. Yes it is heavy but after 11,000 miles so far in my 07 since April, I love it!!! It took time to get used to the waight but now at slow speed, curves, highway, town etc. I love it . Yes other bikes are lighter but not as fun and comfortable. My opinion Try or test drive a newer model if you can in your local BMW and see if that is your solution. I think that the changes were made in 05. Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)
post #18 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 12:13 pm

Talking Who's Chuck?

" Well I guess I'm going to chuck the bike" You would think someone strong enough to "chuck" the bike, would be strong enough to ride it! It weighs +/-900#'s

Sorry to hear it beat you. I guess that's why BMW makes more than one model. If riding it doesn't kill you, the maintenance will! Good luck, ..Chuck!

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448
post #19 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 12:20 pm

Vern,
The LT (any bike) is not perfect. To me, it's a trade off between a ride which I have not experienced on any other bike and it's low speed/stop manner. At 5'7" & a 29" inseam, I prefer to be on the Sportster when sitting still; otherwise, no contest.

Life's short, ride what makes you happy.

Rodney

Rodney

2000 Canyon Red LT [I]
2005 Sportster XLCH 1200C
2006 Mongoose XR250
Make sure your Life Assurance is prayed up. Don't leave home without it.
post #20 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 12:41 pm

Hope you tried riding it with just a little fuel in the tank, nothing in top box and rear pre-load set to almost full out (as in very little to any pre-load). If you have and 02 - 05 can't help you with the brakes. Some very good riders here have said the brakes on the 02 - 05 bikes are either on or off.

I have found that if I ride solo and the pre-load it set much above the red marker on the adjuster - I feel like I am riding someone else's bike and feel uneasy or unsteady on it. I will boost the pre-load a little if I am going to be cornering a lot - just for that. Around town and riding slow, I put it right back down.

It took me several thousand miles of riding ( not highway ) and much slow speed practice before I got comfortable in almost every situation I have run into so far. As a guy told me some time ago - seat time, ya just have to do it.

If none of the above helps, ship it to David Shealey to see if he can find out what is wrong - give him about a year to really check it out. Don't think he will charge you much to do the evaluation.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #21 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 12:41 pm

Chuck the bike

Either something is wrong with the bike from a wreck or bent part or it is a case of operator error. I am new to the LT, having just got one this spring but have been riding BMW's since 1993. All much smaller (what isn't) than the LT. I just don't think it is THAT much harder to ride. Yes, at very low speeds, tight space, gravel you have to pay attention but isn't that always the case? Not a totally new learning curve, just different, like they all are. Seriously, you had better sell it as it obviously has you spooked.

I am still amazed at how you can almost throw the big boy into tight mountain corners!

Redrider
2000 K1200LT
2003 K1200RS

post #22 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 1:34 pm

I too have had some problems learning to ride/tame the beast! She is great fun to ride but slow speeds are a challenge. Thanks to all the advice and posts I have been more confident in my riding and have not given up. After 2,ooo miles and a few hurdles we are getting there. The biggest thing that I have found is that I was being to gentle with her and consequently being my own worst enemy. By riding more aggressively we get along allot better!
post #23 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 1:50 pm

Hi Vernruth
You say that you have given it you best shot. What exactly does that mean? This motorcycle isn't like anything most of us have ridden before! If it were most of us probably would be riding something else by now! Have you taken some appropriate training to help you overcome this problem? After having bought mine about 14 months ago after a lay off of 23 years from motorcycling the leap from a BSA Rocket Gold Star to an lt was significant. After 2 days ownership I dropped it and was gob smacked, I had never dropped a bike in my life. I went on a BMW rider training course and dropped it again practising figure of 8 turns at 0 miles per hour. I haven't dropped it since after another 10000 miles. I've had a few close shaves but I've learned both by experience and by taking advice from the guys on this site on how to handle this monster. I hope that you change your mind and conquer your concerns; I guarantee you'll be glad you did!
Good luck
Dave
post #24 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 2:16 pm

I am sure your tired of reeading how good us LT riders are so my advice get rid of the LT and get something you will enjoy riding,

Stay safe

VanO
post #25 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 2:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
I felt the same as you and after dropping it twice in one day, difficult slow speed handling and lots of second thoughts, I slowed down and concentrated particulary hard at intersections and slow speed maneuvering.

Quite frankly, I did not feel really comfortable until I had about 4-5,000 miles on it. That is not to say that I did not enjoy most of the 4-5,000 miles, I just felt that I had to concentrate a little more than would be expected. I found that I had to just be extra careful at stops and turns because the forks will not absorb the front momentum the way a Harley will. Aside from all of the above, I really do feel that there is not another bike on the road that will make me smile the way this bike does. I ride it at all opportunities, short trips and long and always wish that the ride was a little further.

Not trying to talk you into not quitting, just want you to know that you too will probably feel as I do if you give it a chance. You'll look back and be glad that you did.

Dan-Same experiance here...although ,I like others-had a 20+ year lay off from owning(did some woods riding) a bike.

Was so freaked about the low speed handling that I refused to take a test ride(wonder where I read 'bout that )

I have dropped 4 times all with Mona on back ...all at zero mph...3 in the 1st 600 miles...and one around Memorial Day

Day one I rode away from the dealership down a sidestreet realized its a bike( a VERY BIG ONE) to home 20 miles later thru the front yard between the bushes and on to the porch(what was I thinking??)

9000 miles later ..I respect her still-but have a hell of a lot of FUN!!!!

Mike
post #26 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 2:38 pm

You dont see many (any?) women riding the L/T either. Im sure there is a man for your bike close by...
post #27 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 2:52 pm

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaboots
You dont see many (any?) women riding the L/T either. Im sure there is a man for your bike close by...
Actually there are several women who have mastered the LT amongst our membership here, and not all of Amazon stature! But I agree with what others have said, and that is if you're unhappy with the LT, ride something you will be happy with! That is what it's all about.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #28 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 3:02 pm

I can't help but think there is something wrong with your bike's steering. I will admit it is a pretty big bike and the low speed handling is something you have to get use to, but I have never had the problems you are describing. Regardless, I do agree that if you are unhappy with it, you should find a bike that fits you and you are happy riding. It should be fun, not a constant concern.
post #29 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 3:21 pm
was

Vern, sorry to hear about your unhappy experience with the LT. I also regret the posts that made light of your experience or were simply mean. I see that you've been a member on the site only since July and I'm assuming that the bike is fairly new to you. I remember when I first started posting here, shortly after I bought my LT, someone wrote that it takes a year to feel comfortable with the LT and five to begin to approach its capabilities. If you ride it alot. I've taken some comfort in that thought, as the learning curve was pretty steep for me. I knew how to ride motorcycles, I thought. I didn't know how to ride the LT, I found out. But over time I have learned some stuff on my own, have learned some stuff from riding with others, have learned some stuff from reading articles and books and threads here, and then have had to go out and religiously try to apply what I learned. I think there are lots of people for whom that process is unpleasant, and if you are one of them I applaud your decision to get rid of the bike and find another ride that does not require the process. IMO, there are lots of great bikes out there, and I often wish I could ride them for awhile. But, again IMHO, if you think that by this time you should have mastered riding the LT, your expectations may have been too high. But in the final analysis, it's not about the bike, it's about the ride, your ride, not mine and not anyone else's. Find a ride that makes you grin, and best of luck to you.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #30 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 3:30 pm

As the others have said, it does take time to get use to the LT, but if you do decide to get rid, then have fun and ride safe on whatever your next bike is.
post #31 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 3:36 pm

WOW -4 nice posts in a row.....Whats going on 'round here????

Mike
post #32 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 3:49 pm

You might consider learning how to ride a motorcycle first. And you didn't think 864 pounds was going to be a little bit of a handful until you got used to it? I bet you didn't even test ride it. Duh!
post #33 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 4:00 pm

It took me a long time to even get a partial handle on such a big, ungainly bike and sometimes I wish for my old cruiser with the 27" seat. While I can certainly understand if the fat pig is not for you, I really appreciate mine when I don't want to stop for the day and don't have to. That's why we have vanilla, chocolate and strawberry.
post #34 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 4:47 pm

Worthess bike :)

Yup, your bike needs to be disposed of.
Let me know where it is located and I'll arrange for proper disposal at no cost to you.

Addendum: lest my post above be construed as mean-spirited inspite of the smiley and the wink let me add that my not so obvious intent was to make you think that there are lots of folks who just love this bike and maybe you just haven't figured it out yet.

Quote:

VernRuth

Last edited by CharlieVT; Aug 8th, 2007 at 6:04 pm.
post #35 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 4:53 pm

The best piece of advice I ever received for riding the LT is to keep the front wheel pointed straight as you come to a stop.There are plenty of big, heavy bikes, but the LT unique in that the front end does not compress as you slow down. That gives the front end a "wooden" feel, and it can disrupt your balance. It becomes much worse if the front wheel is not pointed straight.

It's harder than it sounds because if you are like me, you begin turning the front wheel into the next turn as you come to a stop. That way you initiate the process of turning. Try to avoid the "pre-turn" and keep the front wheel straight. It'll help a lot.
post #36 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 4:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
Vern, sorry to hear about your unhappy experience with the LT. I also regret the posts that made light of your experience or were simply mean.
But in the final analysis, it's not about the bike, it's about the ride, your ride, not mine and not anyone else's. Find a ride that makes you grin, and best of luck to you.
What a great post! Thanks for writing it, I agree completely.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #37 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 5:09 pm

Chuck the Bike

The high center of gravity and over all weight of the bike can be an issue and it's something you can't fix. Go check out a Goldwing ... you maybe happier with the lower center of gravity and the lower seat height!
post #38 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 5:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalLT
The best piece of advice I ever received for riding the LT is to keep the front wheel pointed straight as you come to a stop.There are plenty of big, heavy bikes, but the LT unique in that the front end does not compress as you slow down. That gives the front end a "wooden" feel, and it can disrupt your balance. It becomes much worse if the front wheel is not pointed straight.

It's harder than it sounds because if you are like me, you begin turning the front wheel into the next turn as you come to a stop. That way you initiate the process of turning. Try to avoid the "pre-turn" and keep the front wheel straight. It'll help a lot.

This is sound advise..I have to remind myself often not to "pre-turn-especially when tilted any way !!!

Mike
BTW...I'm about 145 Lb. soaked
post #39 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 5:40 pm

Question: Why would anyone sell an LT to a woman?

Answer: So you can watch her dump it at the end of the drive.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #40 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 5:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Yup, your bike needs to be disposed of.
Let me know where it is located and I'll arrange for proper disposal at no cost to you.
Hey, I was first!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #41 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 5:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrovarious
Question: Why would anyone sell an LT to a woman?

Answer: So you can watch her dump it at the end of the drive.
You obviously have not met any of the several ladies from this site over the years who ride or rode LTs. Coni in particular can make many of the men here look silly.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #42 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 5:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
You obviously have not met any of the several ladies from this site over the years who ride or rode LTs. Coni in particular can make many of the men here look silly.
She is certainly phenomenal, in so many ways.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #43 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 6:08 pm

Yup.
The LT is a real PITA at slow speed, and if we try and stop with even a slight turn on the front wheel.

I came from and HD, enough low RPM torque to easily start off from a full stop.

It took a while to get use to my LT, but I eventually got the taking off from a full stop under control. Guess I've learned to compensate for the rest.

But, if I have to stop with a slight angle on the front tire, to avoid someone, many times she goes down--just can't keep her up.

So. Yup. The LT isn't going to be every rider's cup of tea.

Lately, I've been wondering if going to the flatter design of a highway tire might make the LT a little more stable. Whenever I put on a new sport type tires on the front and rear, I'm imediatly impressed by how much easier it is to lean into a corner, and how much harder it is to keep her upright at slow speeds.

Bob
post #44 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 6:09 pm

Is that a brand new bike or used one?
I went through a few sets of tires on my LT and let me tell you, worn tires make that bike a real challenge to handle, then you put a new set of tires and it feels like a dream!

BJ

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2005 LT Gold (traded in for '07)
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
post #45 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 6:10 pm

You need motorman slow school.

Yes, you are what I am looking for. Give me about 4 hours about 2 to 3 days and you would not throw in that towel.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #46 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 6:28 pm

After reading all of these replies and laughing at all of the "mean spirited" ones,

All I can say is:

You're having problems handling the LT and you blame the bike?

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #47 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 6:35 pm

It just takes time to master the LT, but once you do, you'll be a better rider regardless of what bike you ride. The LT forces you to perfect all the fundamentals of riding. I remember when I first got mine and trying to ride through San Francisco with my wife on the back. Man was that scary trying to negotiate the steep hills and rough surfaces. Over time I gotten so use to the LT that I'm splitting lanes, weaving around traffic, feels nimble for me now. In time you learn not to fight the weight of the LT. With the right throttle/clutch and steering inputs the weight somehow disappears with the bike doing all the work. I tell you, it will become second nature for you if you practice enough. The bike handling is amazing for a such a large machine.

If you want a luxury bike that is easy to handle, you might consider the Goldwing. If has a much lower COG and far more low end torque for better low speed handling. Nothing wrong with the newer Wings in my opinion. May not handle as well in the twisties as the LT, but still good in its own right. I saw a video of a guy flogging one through the Deals Gap and you wouldn't believe how fast he rode that thing through those corners. Very impressive.

Nathan
San Francisco, CA
'00 K1200LT
'08 Concours 14 ABS
post #48 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 6:57 pm

Talking

VEM;

Start with a smaller bike and move up.
Alot of us can to steering lock uturns with her.
We can drag pegs one up or two up. The brakes make my race bikes feels like I have no brakes.
Sorry about your troubles. Point the baby south and I will pick it up for you
no charge in Palm Beach.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #49 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 7:01 pm

Geez... Give the guy a break !!! He is frustrated !!! I know how that feels. So was I when I first got it.. So was the guy that owned my bike before me. He put 6 miles on it in 1.5 years and dropped it 3 times.

I don't care how many years someone rides, when you get on the LT, it will be totally different. It is just that simple. I equate riding an LT with snow skiing. I hated skiing the first time I tried it. I fell on my ass so many times, every bone in my body hurt. But, I took some time and allowed myself to get proficient with the basics. Now I am a snow skiing phenatic.

I know exactly how you feel. My suggestion is that you get some help from a seasoned LT rider for slow speed handling or as said take an advanced MSF course with the bike. If your inseam is less then 31", I also suggest that you get the lowered seat from BMW. That will help you flat foot the bike which will help immensely. The more you ride it, the more you will get use to it. I ride mostly one up. You need to master one up before you start taking two up trips with big loads.

If you are not willing to give it more time, by all means, sell it and get another bike. I know someone that is looking for one.. I am sure it will go quickly.

Good luck.
post #50 of 141 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 9:11 pm

"Geez... Give the guy a break !!! He is frustrated !!! I know how that feels. So was I when I first got it.. So was the guy that owned my bike before me. He put 6 miles on it in 1.5 years and dropped it 3 times."

You are right.........its a whole new bit o' work!!!!

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in