Spray Cleaner help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 4:40 pm Thread Starter
mos

Spray Cleaner help

I use spray cleaner / polish in between washes and when on trips . I used Honda for the last 3 years . Now I have a LT with the BMW windscreen. The Honda cleaner seems to leave a fog on the windscreen. I think it may be the material of BMW windscreen. I am not going to change the windscreen so I need to find another cleaner/ polish . What works for you guys?
Thanks, Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 5:06 pm

Smile Spray Cleaner

Everyone will have some favorites

1. Just soap and water and dry with micro towel.

2. McQuires Quick Detailing spray seems to work well.

Either method doesn't leave a wax residue that I thought I was getting from Honda Cleaner.
post #3 of 16 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 5:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos
I use spray cleaner / polish in between washes and when on trips . I used Honda for the last 3 years . Now I have a LT with the BMW windscreen. The Honda cleaner seems to leave a fog on the windscreen. I think it may be the material of BMW windscreen. I am not going to change the windscreen so I need to find another cleaner/ polish . What works for you guys?
Thanks, Mike
Mike - check this post out; it's in a thread running concurrently with yours. Subject is Brillianize spray cleaner/polisher. Among all the other stuff available for use on motorcycle windshields, and body work, ole Toad has been partial to Brillianize for the past 7 years. Helmet face shield and outer shell will shed bugz mo easier after a good rub of Brillianize. No affiliation - just like the product.

post #4 of 16 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 7:26 pm

Plexus and only Plexus for EVERYTHING!!!

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #5 of 16 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 9:03 pm

I just use mild dish soap and water.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need to stay awake

post #6 of 16 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 9:25 pm

I use Plexus also. Pleased with the results.

Tommy
02 K12 LT - 251,000 Miles and counting
442,000+ BMW Miles and counting
post #7 of 16 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 7:23 am

spray cleaner

Plexis caused my stock windscreen to fog also. I just used hot water and sometimes plain rubbing alcohol to clean it. Never fogged after that.

Ultra LT
post #8 of 16 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 7:53 am

When I got my LT, no matter what I did, it would fog up. the dealer replaced it under warranty (some will some won't). The replacement is by National Cycles. I emailed them and the guy that replied said Honda polish is fine for their shields. What that leads me to is that your shield may be one of the ones that has been hazed before and nothing will change that. Mine would be so hazy on a cool morning that you could not see thru it. It would clear up as the day warmed up.

No matter what, I've been told to NOT use anything with ammonia in it. If you or previous owner did that, you may not be able to get rid of the haziness.

What model, etc, is your bike?

Randy
post #9 of 16 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 7:56 am

I took my windscreen off and washed it with very hot water and dishwasher soap that comes in a foaming pump thingy. SO was a bit miffed that I did it in the shower....but that sucker was ( and still is) hella clean !

I use the same stuff to was the bike with also, it rinses off easy, with no water spotting or streaks.

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #10 of 16 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 8:09 am

I use The Bom, which now goes by Captain Richards Best, or Perfect Detail on my bike and windshield and have never had a problem. They are the only cleaners I have ever used, expect one time when I was on the Coast of Alabama and get salt spray all of the bike and took it to the car wash and hosed it down good. Spray it on, wipe it off with a paper towel, and give it a final wipe with a micro fiber cloth. You can get Captain Richards at www.captainrichardsbest.com.
post #11 of 16 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 8:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlakin
I use The Bom, which now goes by Captain Richards Best, or Perfect Detail on my bike and windshield and have never had a problem. They are the only cleaners I have ever used, expect one time when I was on the Coast of Alabama and get salt spray all of the bike and took it to the car wash and hosed it down good. Spray it on, wipe it off with a paper towel, and give it a final wipe with a micro fiber cloth. You can get Captain Richards at www.captainrichardsbest.com.
Two of my friends swear by this stuff and it will be on my "next to buy" list. One has a Gold Wing and the other is a Yamaha V-Star and they both use the stuff on the entire bike. Shield, seat, plastic and metal. They both look good.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #12 of 16 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 9:28 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Any one of the Quick Detailer work well on the entire bike except the seat and the padding on the fairing.

I use Maguire's Spray Detail myself, always have used their products and 3M.

I just spray the shield let it sit, use a micro towel on it, spray it again and flip the micro and it is usually clean. The more you use it the easier it is to clean. I have Plexus and assorted acrylic, lexan, polycarbonate, cleaners and polishes, but the detailer will keep it just fine. Never use paper towels, always a micro. I carry one for my glasses and goggles, and one for the shield.

I have used it on Clear View, HD, Wind Vest, and now the stock BMW. And as soon as my CBailey gets here, I will use it on that.

On the padding and seat you can use this with great confidence, I use it to the side wall of my tires and have for 8 years now, this stuff it just phenomenal.

http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...TOKEN=84282717

Quick detailer in the biggest bottles I can find, with a bath and a good polish, and then wax every now and then. When it, or I, need it

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #13 of 16 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 11:22 pm

Plexus....never had a problem with it on anything.

I want to die young...at a ripe old age.

Several Triumphs (which I still love)
one Beezer 441
Harley Sportster (which I still hate and was ecstatic to see go)
2003 LT- traded for 2005
2005 LT- traded for deer (dead after the introduction to the LT- both totaled)
2005 LT- sold for a 2008 Gold Wing GL1800
2008 GL1800 Gold Wing
BMWMOA
post #14 of 16 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 2:10 pm

The guys in the ZX-12R forum swear by Protect All. Since I got my ZX-12R 4 years ago, that's all I've used ON THE NON-PAINTED surfaces. I'm very happy with it. What's important to me is keeping rubber and black plastic black (nourished) and protected. Protect All has UV protection so it eliminates a lot of other stuff on the shelf for me.

Has anyone here tried Protect All? It's easily available at any boat or RV store.

On the PAINTED surfaces, they recommend ReJex. It's an aircraft wax and I switched to it because so many ZX-12R people love it.

It goes on easy, comes off easy, stays on a long time, and the surfaces feel slicker than ice on ice. It's amazing.

I've tried dozens of products for paint, and Rejex is the easiest to work for the most amount of protection.

The whole idea behind Rejex is it makes the surface slippery and doesn't allow anything to stick to it. Bugs wipe right off.

Should I try Brillianze or Captain what's his name? Do you think there's any reason to switch?

Thanks.

Mike.
post #15 of 16 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 7:37 pm

Just Water

After replacing two stock windshields, (fog and distortion problems under warranty) I only use water and have not had one fogging problem. If it is real dirty, I just soak a rag and leave it on the windshield for about 15 minutes. Never had a problem this way. Polish and wax are not necessary. Gets the love bugs too.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #16 of 16 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 11:12 pm

Pledge!

All I have ever used on the whole bike. Works great. No problems. Been using it for about 12 years now. I have a 1979 XS1100 yamaha with 96000 miles on it (when the cable is hooked up) that has a windshield on it I bought in 1992. It still looks great. So does the paint. Works great on leather too.
Chuck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in