Need warranty coverage help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 4:10 pm Thread Starter

Need warranty coverage help

As many of you may have read in a previous post, my 04 LT suffered some electrical trauma in the location of the main wiring harness beside your right calf when your on the bike, where all the switches etc. are. I have a warranty through Western Services I think it is that should cover any manufacturers defects. The BMW dealership says that is exactly what caused it. The insurance adjuster says that the damage is "consistent with damage caused by modifications of the bikes wiring system." I have some modifications that are powered off of the map light trunk light circuit. All of my modifications are fused and work as is the map light circuit (fused and it works). It seems clear to me that the damage to the bike is PURELY a manufactures defect. The dealer concurs that he has seen this several times before. Yet the warranty company has denied the claim. Didn't I read about a guys parked LT spontaneously combusting in his garage? Didn't another one burn to the ground in the Philippines?
What is my next step?
Has anyone faced this before? Successfully?
I live in KC and I think they are based out of California so suing them might be a little difficult.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 3:12 pm Thread Starter

Am I the only one who sees a pattern here?

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...highlight=fire
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...highlight=fire
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...highlight=roof
I submit that the LT has some wire harness issues that lead to fire.

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 3:47 pm

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrovarious
As many of you may have read in a previous post, my 04 LT suffered some electrical trauma in the location of the main wiring harness beside your right calf when your on the bike, where all the switches etc. are. I have a warranty through Western Services I think it is that should cover any manufacturers defects. The BMW dealership says that is exactly what caused it. The insurance adjuster says that the damage is "consistent with damage caused by modifications of the bikes wiring system." I have some modifications that are powered off of the map light trunk light circuit. All of my modifications are fused and work as is the map light circuit (fused and it works). It seems clear to me that the damage to the bike is PURELY a manufactures defect. The dealer concurs that he has seen this several times before. Yet the warranty company has denied the claim. Didn't I read about a guys parked LT spontaneously combusting in his garage? Didn't another one burn to the ground in the Philippines?
What is my next step?
Has anyone faced this before? Successfully?
I live in KC and I think they are based out of California so suing them might be a little difficult.
I think this is inaccurate and you can argue that you did not modify the existing wiring, you added to the existing wiring.
Can you specify what got fried exactly?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #4 of 10 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 3:58 pm Thread Starter

Under the right side tupperware there is a conglomerate of wires that run between what I believe to be the main computer and a set of switches. These wires are fried and from what I can tell, it is fairly isolated to this area with some of the insulation just on the front side of these switches showing some heat. However, as stated, the real damage is between the two areas and is made up of several dozen wires that are now black as night.
I suspect that had I not smelled the burning and turned all the power off, that the bike would have been a complete loss.

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA

post #5 of 10 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 5:00 pm Thread Starter

Oh, and I think they may have said "consistent with modifications of this type". Pure BS!

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA

post #6 of 10 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 7:57 pm

Jason, sorry to hear of your electrical fire and the run-around by the extended warranty company. That truly sucks and I would fight them tooth and nail over this.

However, I believe your contention that the LT has "some wire harness issues that lead to fire" is unfounded. Of the three search hits for "fire" that you dug up, two of those are related to gasoline leaks. The third one was a battery fire.

Having followed this group and its previous incarnations over the past eight years, I can tell you that electrical fires like this have been a very rare event. There was one guy in Europe that burned up a wiring harness. I don't think I've heard of one burning up in this country though. You're going to have an uphill battle if you're trying to prove a pattern of LT electrical fires, as I think you'll find the data doesn't support it.

Regards, and best of luck with this.
-joel
post #7 of 10 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 8:08 pm

Your best bet may be to trace the electrical circuit based on your mods and hope that none of the wiring runs through that area of the bike or is fused properly.

If the dealer is standing behind you then send a registered letter to the insurance company and your State's Insurance Licensing board.

Try and be as factual as possible and if the mods were installed properly and were of the kind that any dealer would perform....... You get the idea.

Oh and when you send it to the insurance company, don't send it to just their adjuster send it to several people and make certain that the adjuster sees who is copied.

Another strategy is if you do have a family lawyer or a friend that is a lawyer do basically the same thing but address it to your lawyer seeking advice and copy the isurance company.

Remember
Insurance adjusters are trained to minimize claims in order to save money for the insurance company, not to maximize compensation for you. Insurance companies have no interest in offering you advice concerning your loss or protecting your interests.

They are the first roadblock.

Don't threaten to sue just make it look like you are pursuing a path to a fair settlement.

Good luck

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

Last edited by dronning; Aug 8th, 2007 at 8:19 pm.
post #8 of 10 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 9:43 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog
Having followed this group and its previous incarnations over the past eight years, I can tell you that electrical fires like this have been a very rare event. There was one guy in Europe that burned up a wiring harness. I don't think I've heard of one burning up in this country though. You're going to have an uphill battle if you're trying to prove a pattern of LT electrical fires, as I think you'll find the data doesn't support it.
I only know that my dealer had a box of wiring harnesses 3-5 that look just like mine sitting in front of my bike. And the fact that the dealer acknowledges that he has seen this a few times before. Gas involvement in any automobile fire I do not dispute. It acts as the accelerant. However there must be an ignition source. From what I have seen with my own eyes I have to contend that this is the ignition source. I don't know if there is pattern, there however appears to be one though.

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA

post #9 of 10 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 7:56 am

If the dealer.... a PROFESSIONAL on the vehicle says it is BS, then ask if he will back you up if you do the leg work. The dealer may even have some suggestions about how to proceed with that insurance company.

Filing a complaint with the Kansas I.B. is definitely the way to go. Also, file the "electrical fire event" with the Fed's. Include both in a dispute letter (not an emotional one) to the insurance company.

It's been said and bears repeating.... facts... as that's what will determine the outcome... and give the insurance guys at least a chance to deny your "dispute".

I would invite the Ins. guys to a meeting with you and the dealer to view your machine in it's present condition...

Finally, we have heard your words, but where is the picture evidence? Must get that!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #10 of 10 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 9:40 am Thread Starter

My dealer took photos and the insurance company is out of California and sent a local "adjuster" out to view the bike. Would I not send information to the I.B. in California?

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in