How do I add a pillion seat on this bike? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 3:03 pm Thread Starter
REP

How do I add a pillion seat on this bike?

I am in the process of buying this bike and need help with the seat. The bike is a great deal but has a single seat. I have never seen this set up and need to know what I can do to change it over. Here is a picture[IMG]Single seat LT[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW K1200LT.jpg
Views:	707
Size:	376.9 KB
ID:	13574  

Last edited by REP; Aug 7th, 2007 at 3:22 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 3:09 pm

Rep, you didn't upload your photo properly. Are you trying to link to an external picture or upload & attach the file?

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
post #3 of 14 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 3:19 pm Thread Starter
REP

Well, I will get this pcture upload right eventually. Here is a small picture of the bike.

post #4 of 14 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 3:21 pm

That Watzit unbolts
Then you'll need a top case with backrest
and a pillion seat
search Ebay

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 3:24 pm

what you have here is a Corbin Smuggler, an expensive add-on/replacement for the rear seat. It is good news in the sense that this thing costs pretty penny and you can sell it.

You should be able tp find a rear seat at www.beemerboneyard.com, or try to exchange your Smuggler for a seat and get some cash on top of it.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 3:27 pm

This is a Corbin Smuggler. Are you sure the previous owner does not know where the original seat & trunk have disappeared.

I think there are Smuggler owners who know what usually happens to the left over parts. Corbin does not take them as trade-ins I guess...

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #7 of 14 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 5:03 pm

I have a trunk the same color as your LT I would either sell or trade.
post #8 of 14 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 5:08 pm
Super Moderator

THe Corbin Smuggler that's on the bike you pictured replaced the stock trunk and passenger seat. You will need to remove the Smuggler and replace it with the stock components. It's not hard to do, but if the bike doesn't come with those parts as part of the sale it's a fairlty significant expense. The trunk alone is about $1300 new, and the rear seat is around $300.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #9 of 14 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 6:45 pm Thread Starter
REP

Thanks to all who have responded. I am new to this bike and did not know what to do with this seat issue. The knowledge of everyone on this forum is incredible and very much appreciated. I will have lots of questions in the near future. Thanks again for the help.
post #10 of 14 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 6:47 pm

I've got a like new rear seat and passenger backrest I'll trade you for the Smuggler - that's worth about $500 new. I think I know where you can get a trunk "takeoff" (basically brand new but never used) for around $600.00 - half price. It will need to be repainted to match your scoot.

The passenger seat bolts on with two screws in about a minute, and the passenger backrest mounts with 4 bolts to the trunk in a couple of minutes.

You don't need to have a trunk - many ride without them and it actually helps to improve the handling by lowering the center of gravity and at the same time reducing drag... a Fort Worth Rack in place of the trunk gives a very finished look and allows a place to strap on waterproof duffle bag. I had double the storage capacity of the trunk with my bag when touring, simply unstrapped it when around town.

You can get them new for about $300 or used for half price. I had one and liked it ALOT!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rack.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	13575  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #11 of 14 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 7:43 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Robert,

Welcome to the forum. You need to click on the "reunion" link at the top of the page. There will be over 500 of us right in your back yard at the end of the month at Tan Tar A resort in Osage Beach for our Curve Cowboy Reunion. Bet you could find some one there willing to swap. Check it out.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #12 of 14 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 8:47 pm

Corbin Smuggler

That is sharp. I like it, but my passenger needs the original.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #13 of 14 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 8:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by REP
Thanks to all who have responded. I am new to this bike and did not know what to do with this seat issue. The knowledge of everyone on this forum is incredible and very much appreciated. I will have lots of questions in the near future. Thanks again for the help.
If you can't find someone to trade and you don;t want/need the smuggler, I'd pass on that bike and look for another.

But I bet someone here would be willing to trade you.

randy
post #14 of 14 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 8:52 am
was

For my .02, check out the retail price on that Corbin set up. I'm guessing that it is worth more than a new top case with backrest and an OEM rear seat. You might want to keep it for solo touring, if that is in your future. +1 on checking with the original owner about the location of the original equipment, but I'm guessing he sold it to offset the Corbin's price. +1 on beemerboneyard for replacement OEM equipment, and there are some strip-n-sell outfits on the big online auction site, as well as owners occasionally selling used parts. Also consider what you want to do with the Corbin front seat. The OEM rear seat will look very different, and you want to make sure that its fitment with the Corbin front does not present any problems.

Or you could require the pillion person to sit in the Smuggler?

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in