Ok, so I am getting old---- - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 12:01 pm Thread Starter
Prodigal Son

Talking Ok, so I am getting old----

or at least spoiled.
Funny how you don' appreciate many things until they're gone (--paved paradise, put up a ----) . Sorry, I digress)
Anyway, 'horse' is disected (pics to follow soon) and-- I really haven't ridden much in the mid-weight category in a while. (Previous ride to the LT--- H-D Ultra-Turbo) So with the beautiful Texas weather ( and a friend with a spare bike, yeah, I do have A friend) I took a short (brisk) ride to the Hard-8 RTE (South Central) and a post RTE diversion run .(only about 6 hrs of saddle time --- WITH long stops (yeah ,baby Q!!!!!! )mmmmmPIE!!)

Ok, Ill shorten this thing up--I'm [email protected]^% sore today.
I WANT MY LT!! Wah! Wah! WAAAAAHH!!
I had forgotten how much work a hard ride can be on a 500# + ,
"Sport-Tourer" can be.
The LT has ruined me-----plain and simple.
ABS, finger-pressure steering,good riding position, etc, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I had a great time and I AM very grateful for the loaner and would do it again. I just need to get to gym first.

Sooo, I salute you other group members (52 y.o average) that thrash around on the sport-tourers fror a half a day at time.

Gotta , get 'horse' off the table and outta the stable!!

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 12:36 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Hey ed,

Try hustling the LT around a racetrack all day while dicing with those sub-500 pound bikes, after a three hour ride there and another back. That'll make you realize that you ain't as young as you used to be. At least I avoided having to trailer the bike there and back.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 18 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 11:51 pm

Unhappy

Not rubbing it in here Ed...just stating a fact. I dread the day when I can't ride 4 to 500 miles a day through the twisties of southern Ohio on my Ninja...or something similar. AND, wake up the next morning ready for another 500-mile day on it again.

Can I just stay 40 until my number's up?!

post #4 of 18 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 8:36 am Thread Starter
Prodigal Son

I believe had I done it more often or had kept up an exercise program or both I would not have been as sore.
To me the most remarkable thing was --prior to the LT's clutch woes.
I had done a more vigorous ride and NOT felt as abused, in fact I was ready to get up and go again.
Different bikes,different muscles, similar ride,pain this time, none last.

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red
post #5 of 18 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 1:06 pm

Yehbutt - didja have PIE on the previous ride?!?!?!
post #6 of 18 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 1:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by early1
or at least spoiled.

Well I think the "Q" and the pie can make up for the inconvenience don't ya think???

Just amazing how quickly we can become spoiled....LOL

Bruce
Rowlett, TX
2010 Gold Wing
'00 Canyon Red - Sold

post #7 of 18 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 7:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Not rubbing it in here Ed...just stating a fact. I dread the day when I can't ride 4 to 500 miles a day through the twisties of southern Ohio on my Ninja...or something similar. AND, wake up the next morning ready for another 500-mile day on it again.

Can I just stay 40 until my number's up?!

"Can I just stay 40 until my number's up?!"

you really don't want that to happen...........<g>

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #8 of 18 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 7:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
"Can I just stay 40 until my number's up?!"

you really don't want that to happen...........<g>

And why not??? Heh, heh, heh....

post #9 of 18 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 7:50 am

Sometimes when I hop on the 12GS or the 12S and think, 'this is what motorcyle riding is all about' and cast a negative eye towards the LT, well, that feeling of euphoria is indeed short-lived. Damn, that wind is cold creeping around my neck, or, whatever other minor creature discomforts that are all masked on the magnificent LT.

My riding buddy has an HD Road Glide (fixed fairing), 6-speed Baker Xmission, and a Jim's Engine 135hp/130 lb-ft, and it does go. But, compared to the LT it shakes, rattles, and rolls and, well, just isn't the LT.

So, every time I think the LT will be the one to bite the big one when the new GT comes out; NOT SO FAST KEMA SABE (SPELLING?)

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #10 of 18 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 7:53 am

A few of the guys on the K-BIKES.COM site have gotten (allegedly) calls from Germany doing a market research survey on their purchase of either the K12S or K12R. One of the questions asked is the rider's age. A friend of mine has the K12S and he's 66 (I'm 65 in Dec.) and the person doing the survey was shocked at his age.

I told my buddy that if they call me I'm gonna tell the surveyor I am 90! That ought to get a few raised eyebrows!

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #11 of 18 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 7:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
Sometimes when I hop on the 12GS or the 12S and think, 'this is what motorcyle riding is all about' and cast a negative eye towards the LT,

I understand for sure, I got to take a ride on the new Jink mabile, and a friend stripped down HD in fl, made me want to get my Pan up now! I also miss off roading, but what I miss is the pure simplicity of the bare naked motorcycle.

Tom

post #12 of 18 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 7:57 am

The 'naked' bikes are seductive aren't they? Heck, I bought the S without even riding it. It's a blast but if I have to go over 100 miles you know what bike I take. I haven't seen Gary's Triumph, isn't it? Been busy at work and time just flies! I should give him a call sometime soon.

Happy Thanksgiving!

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #13 of 18 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 8:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
The 'naked' bikes are seductive aren't they? Heck, I bought the S without even riding it. It's a blast but if I have to go over 100 miles you know what bike I take. I haven't seen Gary's Triumph, isn't it? Been busy at work and time just flies! I should give him a call sometime soon.

Happy Thanksgiving!
yup it's a trumpet! and it's fun! he won't give the key's back though <grin> Can't blame him, it looks better than when it rolled off the showroom floor!

Tom

Tom

post #14 of 18 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 9:39 am
Bouncer

There's a guy here in Dallas that just traded his K1200RS in for a new K1200S. He just turned 85 and bought it for his birthday. I've ridden with him at the Texas Hill Country Rally and it takes almost everything in my back pocket and a few thing pulled out of thin air just to hang with him. 72 years of riding, of which 20 of it was flat track racing and sidecar racing when he was in Europe, and he's still as sharp as ever. I now know what I want to be when I grow up.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #15 of 18 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 9:44 am

Check my avatar! That's a TORTOISE not a sea turtle! Maybe I really should go to the Pridmore or Code class! heh heh

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #16 of 18 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 4:09 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I thought you were 90, John.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #17 of 18 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 4:14 pm

Seems like you're gonna have to change FROM THE VOICE OF REASON to THE VOICE OF TROUBLE.

BTW, do you know the formula for how old your mistress must be?(Your Age/2)+7 Gee whiz, a 52 year old paramour?

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)

Last edited by jpalamaro; Nov 22nd, 2005 at 4:15 pm. Reason: Parentheses error
post #18 of 18 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 4:18 pm

That 85 year old guy makes me feel real young at 67..I guess I have a few more years of riding left..even tho' my skeptical family and friends are after me to quit..heck, I just got the bike a few months ago and I ain't about to give it up this early!! Ride safe everyone and be careful out there this holiday season..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in