No clunk shifting - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 12:03 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

No clunk shifting

When discussing the "clunk", from my 1999 K1200LT with 48K on the clock and no synthetics in the wells (part of the problem, I'm sure), with some BMW riders at a recent RTE, they suggested "preloading the shifter". I asked what preload meant and they, to my satisfaction, explained it to me. From my take, it meant to put pressure on the shifter before a slight lever pull and "blip" of the throttle as I put it in the next gear up. I tried this many times since and I can't find a smooth way of doing this.
What am I doing wrong? I'm a drummer and feel I'm fairly coordinated, but I just can't "feel" the action needed to shift seamlessly/quietly.
Thanks for any insight,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

Last edited by jers99lt; Aug 7th, 2007 at 12:16 pm. Reason: Remove quotes in title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 12:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
When discussing the "clunk", from my 1999 K1200LT with 48K on the clock and no synthetics in the wells (part of the problem, I'm sure), with some BMW riders at a recent RTE, they suggested "preloading the shifter". I asked what preload meant and they, to my satisfaction, explained it to me. From my take, it meant to put pressure on the shifter before a slight lever pull and "blip" of the throttle as I put it in the next gear up. I tried this many times since and I can't find a smooth way of doing this.
What am I doing wrong? I'm a drumming and feel I'm fairly coordinated, but I just can't "feel" the action needed to shift seamlessly/quietly.
Thanks for any insight,
Jer
I don't blip the throttle. Just apply a little upward pressure on the shift lever as you start to pull the clutch lever in. Most folks find that very little clutch lever travel is required to facilitate a smooth gear change. Let the clutch lever out smooth & quick, then roll on the throttle...

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
post #3 of 10 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 2:08 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweintechnik
I don't blip the throttle. Just apply a little upward pressure on the shift lever as you start to pull the clutch lever in. Most folks find that very little clutch lever travel is required to facilitate a smooth gear change. Let the clutch lever out smooth & quick, then roll on the throttle...
Does the same throttle scenario go for downshifting? I was instructed to stay in gear as much as possible, both up and down shifting. When is matching the RPM with MPH needed if the throttle stays constant during a shift?
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

post #4 of 10 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 2:23 pm

I agree with Dave. In fact, I find it even better to put a little pressure on the shift lever before pulling in the clutch on the up shifts. You can feel the shift lever slide into gear just as you pull in the clutch a tiny bit.

Some have also suggested lubing and adjusting the shift lever.

The biggest change was when I went from the factory transmission fluid to Amsoil Severe Gear Synthetic 75W90 oil. I can actually upshift fairly smoothly without even using the clutch, but do anyway.
post #5 of 10 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 3:27 pm
Taz

Jerry - I think you may want to try to make your shift around 3800 to 4000 rpm and do the shift fast if you have the stock exhaust system.
My own style on the down shifting if you were coming off a freeway is to leave the bike in the high gear and coast , use the front brake to get your self slowed down and the last 10 feet before you stop, pull the clutch in and with a light touch on the gear shifter pop on down threw all the gears until your in first. Now you are stopped and if you see you are going to be there awhile put the bike in neutral.
On down shifting while you are riding I just pull in the clutch and tap the gear shift down some what fast.
99LT 138k
post #6 of 10 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 3:54 pm

Do the same thing but, instead of pulling clutch, apply the pressure to the shift, drop the throttle & it will shift. Once you learn this, it will be very smoth. This bike shifts smoother without the clutch than anything else with a cluth.
post #7 of 10 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 6:44 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Time for a road trip

I'll try out all of your suggestions and see what works for me and the bike.
I've also read the other threads on shifting, but they all seemed to drift off into other areas. There seems to be many ways to get the same thing done, but the ultimate goal for me is to always be in gear ,as smoothly as possible.

Thanks for your help,
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #8 of 10 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 7:48 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I have mastered all my other vehicles but this one. I still can't do 1,2 & 3 up shifts that are smooth and seamless. 4 & 5 on the up shift are OK as well as downshifts all the way to first. You'd think I would have it by now after 3 years and 30K. Do you think taking it to 6 grand before shifting has anything to do with it?

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 10 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 8:43 pm

1st to 2nd is the hardest cause it's the longest travel. I was taught by the dealer to not use the clutch & it is extremely smooth! When done correct there is no noise, no resistance, just very smooth shifting. Anything that easy & that smooth can't be hurting anything.
post #10 of 10 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 7:02 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

I couldn't do it again though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_E
1st to 2nd is the hardest cause it's the longest travel. I was taught by the dealer to not use the clutch & it is extremely smooth! When done correct there is no noise, no resistance, just very smooth shifting. Anything that easy & that smooth can't be hurting anything.
So that is where you use the throttle (off/on) to get the gears to engage?
It happened for me last night as I was trying Pete VanDykes suggestions almost on accident. I didn't think that I had pulled in the clutch lever and what-do-ya-know I'm in 2nd gear. I'll keep working at it.
It was soooooooo smoooooooth.
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in