Seattle to Banff, Canada - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 11:52 am Thread Starter

Seattle to Banff, Canada

Howdy All;

I just returned from a 9 day 2200 mile trip from Seattle to Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, and Calgary (Alberta, Canada) and back.

This trip confirmed something I already knew: The stock seat on my 2005 K1200 LT is horribly uncomfortable. I had a Corbin seat on my 1997 Road King and loved it. I did a 550 mile day on the Harley and was ready to go the next day without any pain to speak of. 400 miles on this seat and I'm ready for nothing but a few days off of the bike.

I've read many of the posts on here regarding seats. It looks like the Corbin is liked by a few, but disliked by many. The Rick Mayer seats seem to be highly regarded, and are the most reasonably priced compared with Corbin, Russel, and others. I like the Mayer guarantee as well.

Does anyone have feedback on their Rick Mayer seat that they are willing to share? If so, I'd love to hear it!

Another problem that was magnified on this trip was the weak throttle response when starting out in first gear, or even when rolling at low RPM's. I've read about the "brown wire fix", but it seems the 2005 and later LT's don't have the brown wire.

Any suggestions on how I can improve the throttle response on my '05 LT?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to reading your replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 12:22 pm

Get a 2000 with a Remus/Rhinewest setup and kick some butt !!!

There's an ass made for every seat, to bad the seat aint made for everbodies ass, I hope you find one more comfy. Maybe a backrest would help.

Awesome trip ( I grew up in that area and know it well), did you head up I-5 into the Vancouver area and take the Trans Canada across ? If so, I could, along with many others here, point you to better and less travelled routes.

I'm starting to miss the mountains, it's been too long.

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #3 of 19 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 12:36 pm Thread Starter

Route to Banff

On the way up, we rode east through Washington on I-90 through Coeur D'Alene, ID and then North on US-95. Then we took Provincial Route 93/95 to Banff.

On the way back, we took the Trans-Canada Hwy all the way from Calgary to the US border in Sumas, WA.

I'd love to see the alternate routes. We may do this trip again within the next couple of years. I will never tire of the beauty that Alberta, Canada has to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1200LTryder
Get a 2000 with a Remus/Rhinewest setup and kick some butt !!!

There's an ass made for every seat, to bad the seat aint made for everbodies ass, I hope you find one more comfy. Maybe a backrest would help.

Awesome trip ( I grew up in that area and know it well), did you head up I-5 into the Vancouver area and take the Trans Canada across ? If so, I could, along with many others here, point you to better and less travelled routes.

I'm starting to miss the mountains, it's been too long.

post #4 of 19 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 12:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Chuck,
The SO and I just did that trip about 3 weeks ago. Took the North Cascade Highway through Winthrop, Hwy 97 to Osoyoos, then over the southern route in BC. Came back the northern route through Kelowna. It was 103 degrees in southern BC...like riding in a hair dryer.

Like you, I also found the seat on my '07 LT to be miserable (SO loves hers). I have an appointment this week at Rich's in Seattle. I figured with a highly recommended seat re-builder right in town, might as well go there so it can be adjusted if necessary. Just another thought.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #5 of 19 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 12:52 pm
was

Almost everyone I know who has a 2005 complains about the lack of comfort in the OEM seat, so you're not alone there. I don't have an aftermarket seat, so I'm no help there, but for a cheaper alternative consider the pre-'05 seat, which many, including myself, consider to be quite comfortable. (Oops, I just remembered that I think I recall reading a post that said that the pre-'05 seats are not interchangeable with '05 and later mountings. Check compatibility first if you go this route.)

I also had a great time riding in Alberta and a bit of BC. Coming from the east, I ran the Yellowhead Hwy to Jasper and then 93/95 down. The road that I most wanted to run, but didn't, was the Crows Nest Hwy west of Medicine Hat, right along the border. Several people have raved about it. Maybe next time.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #6 of 19 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 1:19 pm

I had a Beadrider on my '05 LT and it helped quite a bit, I did 4 1,000 mile days with just the beadrider on the stock seat. The right gear helps too, I wore "Under Armour" heat or cold depending in the temps underneath my Darian light pants.

The Beadriders are great when its hot it's like air conditioning and when its raining the water drains away.

I moved the beadrider to my '06 GS Adv. even after I bought a Sargent seat for it. - Best $35 farkle I ever bought.

http://www.beadrider.com/ - they picture an LT on their front page.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 2:14 pm

You don't have to go to California to get a good quality custom saddle. Rich's Custom Leather is right here in Seattle. There are a lot of folks in the long distance riding community that think highly of them. The convenience of being able to ride in for a fitting or adjustments is also plus. He has reworked my K1200LT and R1200GS and I couldn't be happier.

Don't get me wrong Rick Mayer saddles are also top end saddles. If you are just looking for an excuse to ride to Northern California then go for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #8 of 19 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 2:34 pm Thread Starter

BeadRider

I tried the BeadRider, but it didn't make a noticeable difference. I also tried a SoftBottom gel cushion. The SoftBottom helps, but not enough. Both will probably be for sale in the classifieds after I get a custom seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronning
I had a Beadrider on my '05 LT and it helped quite a bit, I did 4 1,000 mile days with just the beadrider on the stock seat. The right gear helps too, I wore "Under Armour" heat or cold depending in the temps underneath my Darian light pants.

The Beadriders are great when its hot it's like air conditioning and when its raining the water drains away.

I moved the beadrider to my '06 GS Adv. even after I bought a Sargent seat for it. - Best $35 farkle I ever bought.

http://www.beadrider.com/ - they picture an LT on their front page.

Dave
post #9 of 19 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 2:37 pm Thread Starter

Rich's Custom Seats

The thing that worries me about Rich's is their lack of a guarantee. Rick Mayer and Russell both guarantee customer satisfaction.

Rich's has the following statement on their website. This statement doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about their willingness to please their customers:
ALTERATIONS:
After the seat is fitted to your satisfaction and completed....... if you determine that modifications are necessary there will be an hour dismantling fee. All work and modifications beyond that will be on an hourly basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd98056
You don't have to go to California to get a good quality custom saddle. Rich's Custom Leather is right here in Seattle. There are a lot of folks in the long distance riding community that think highly of them. The convenience of being able to ride in for a fitting or adjustments is also plus. He has reworked my K1200LT and R1200GS and I couldn't be happier.

Don't get me wrong Rick Mayer saddles are also top end saddles. If you are just looking for an excuse to ride to Northern California then go for it.
post #10 of 19 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 2:47 pm

Hi Chuck,

it is not often that I can comment on your ride tales "been there seen that" but me and my buddy rode down from Calgary via Banff to Glacier etc last August. Some magnificient scenery!

My enjoyment of 11.000 km was not disturbed by the seat. I sat on a Russell leather Day-Long seat (with BakUp backrest) and if at the end of each riding day some part of my body was sore it never was my behind.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #11 of 19 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 3:13 pm

I just rode my VTX from Portland OR to lake Pend Oreille. (430 miles) I should have had the luxury of worrying about my behind. The fairing seems to go up to my chest. The 3/4 helmet makes sure the wind makes a rocket engine sound in my helmet. My ear phones kept falling out of my ears and I rarely missed a bug. Boy do I feel spoiler when i drive my LT now. I feel it has ruined me for all other long distance riding. The day I returned home from my Seattle to Jackson hole round trip of 2300 miles on my LT I had to take the wife out for a quick spin to stop myself going for withdrawls. The other riders were really beat up and I just didn't appreciate what they were going through till this recent trip. Needless to say the VTX hasn't got much time recently.

I don't even prefer the bike for short trips anymore the LT just flat out beats it in on most rides. Maybe the VTX wins when its parked and starting up ( Honda = no smoke). as soon as you reach a cruising speed of 30mph the LT wins hands down.

I am wondering if I should resort to such comfort at a young age surely I should pay a few more years of dues? Nah I think its time to give myself completely to the LT with the odd fling on the Aprilia.

PS did that ride last year crossing through Metaline falls to Banf and back through kelowna BC. Great town plenty of good food and right on a large lake.

Ian

2003 K1200LT
Aprilia Caponord

post #12 of 19 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 3:35 pm

seat comfort

Isn't it amazing that a $20,000+ motorcycle comes with a crappy seat?

Redrider
2000 K1200LT
2003 K1200RS

post #13 of 19 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 4:21 pm

Thumbs up Rich's in Seattle

I had Rich's work on my 2005 LT seat and HUGE improvement. I'm not familiar with the details of his satisfaction guarantee but I have had no need to go back and I think it was back last October that I had it done. Probably have about 11-12,000 miles on it. I think you will be very happy
post #14 of 19 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 9:08 pm

I use a sheepskin. May not be for everybody but it is easy to transfer from one bike to another. Both the wife and I tried with and without it. It is better with it on for the longer hauls.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #15 of 19 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 10:41 pm

Rich's Custom Seats

Chuck,

Rich built the first seat for me twelve years ago.
The second one for my RT seven years ago, on that seat
I just rode 754 miles in one day, two up.
Last April got new seats for my new LT, he
readjusted it three times, before the final leather cover.
He does an excellent work, that is why I keep going back.
And the best thing for us here in the NW, that he is on
North Aurora and 95th.

Miklos, Shoreline WA. Amarena Red RT& Gold-Yellow LT.
post #16 of 19 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 6:26 am

Stock seat

I'd love to ride in Alberta some day...........I've ridden an Iron Butt (1061 in 16hrs) on my Yamaha Venture and I did several 500 to 750 mile days on it. It was the only stock seat I didn't change. I'd never attempt any of those on this stock seat. It really takes the joy out of riding. I'm in the process of doing something about that, if I can make up my mind which way I want to go. The only thing worse than a lousy stock seat is a lousy aftermarket seat you gave $600 or $700 dollars for.................

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #17 of 19 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 7:34 pm

Thumbs up Rich's Seat

Rich has done seats for my RT - GT - and now my LT. I had the LT done 2 years ago right after buying it; my most recent trip to Calgary from Seattle, I did the ride home in one day and the seat made that possible.

He's expensive, but his work is quality. If you have it done, plan on being there most of the day - take a good book.

I highly recommend having the seat recovered in leather, as it's more durable and comfortable. I also had him put a backrest on and that is the cats meow.
post #18 of 19 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 7:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMarshal
Rich has done seats for my RT - GT - and now my LT. I had the LT done 2 years ago right after buying it; my most recent trip to Calgary from Seattle, I did the ride home in one day and the seat made that possible.

He's expensive, but his work is quality. If you have it done, plan on being there most of the day - take a good book.

I highly recommend having the seat recovered in leather, as it's more durable and comfortable. I also had him put a backrest on and that is the cats meow.
Thanks for the suggestion on leather and seat back. My appointment is tomorrow...I'll take a good book.

2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #19 of 19 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 11:09 am
Lifetime Supporter

Could not be more positive about my experience with Rich's. It is an all day affair, but the time goes fast. Everyone is there to get custom seats done and Rich has a "gallery" of seats set up so you can watch and participate when it's time for fitting. Customers yesterday were a diverse, interesting group so conversation was easy. I had the drivers seat reformed (SO likes hers the way it is) then both seats and backrest covered in leather. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Could tell it was dramatically improved just on the ride home. The seat is now shaped to support rather than feeling like a pillow on a log. Rich is involved in every aspect of the fitting and final product. It's expensive, but I suspect the cost will long be forgotten when the trip meter hit's those 800+ mile days. The post here expressed concern regarding Rich's guarantee of fit, but there was a customer there yesterday who was returning because the fit wasn't right and Rich was fixing it no charge.

2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in