Getting harder to raise - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 11:41 am Thread Starter

Question Getting harder to raise

Has anyone had a problem with getting the LT on the center stand. I have an 02 bought new. The dealer has replaced the shock twice but even they say that it sits low. They have no idea what is causing the problem. I've shown new owners how to get their LT's up and almost threw it off backwards it was so easy. I could sure use some ideas. Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 12:24 pm
was

Ideas:
1) Go to a different dealer/service dept. Your dealer replaced a shock twice without knowing what the problem is (i.e., without knowing whether the shock was sagging)???? Your dealer admits that the problem still exists and shrugs his/her shoulders????
2) Once you have a proper diagnosis you can address the root cause. In the meantime, many people have found that riding the front wheel onto a 3/4" piece of plywood when you park at home makes putting it on the center stand much easier. Not much help when you are away from home, though.
3) Use the side stand until you get a proper diagnosis. After you turn off the bike, hold it leaned just slightly to the right for 15 sec (I unstrap and pull off my helmet during that time). It won't smoke when you start it up again.
4) If you do your own wrenching, remove the center stand, inspect the frame where it attaches and the pivot point of the stand, clean everything, re-grease everything, and reinstall. At the very least you can rule out the center stand as contributing to the problem. HTH.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 1:15 pm Thread Starter

Forgot to tell you that they have also replaced the center stand. Due to the amount of force needed to raise it, it actually twisted it to the point that it wobbled while on it.

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 5:17 pm

Smile

My 02 was getting difficult to put it on the centerstand, but when I replace the shocks front and rear it was easy again, my shocks were shot. Go to a different dealer, none of this makes any sense (you do have air in the tires )

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't Panic!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #5 of 8 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 6:12 pm

Kink... kool name.. phil owt ur profile, plz.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #6 of 8 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 6:41 pm

Miles on Tires

How is the rear tire? Mine gets difficult towards the end of the tires life as it flattens out.
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 6:56 pm

You could also set up a couple of boards to be beneath each tire in your garage. That way the "center stand" will have a shorter distance to raise the bike.

In order to see how different your bike is from another, how about measuring the distance from the ground when you are stationary. Just straddle the bike (don't sit) and post here.. That way you'll get an idea of how "different" yours may be when others reply with the same "measurement".

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 8 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 7:35 pm

Front shock might be the one that's sagging.

B D R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in