tire help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 11:26 am Thread Starter

tire help

Can anyone give me step by step instructions on how to take the front and rear wheels of my 2000 K1200LT?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 12:29 pm

Sure

Front:
1)Put the bike on the centerstand and put some sort of jack under the engine, where the round cover is that you remove to change the oil filter, and jack the bike up until the rear wheel just touches the ground.
2) Remove the 4 10mm socket head bolts that hold the brake claipers on.
3) Remove the bolt on the end of the axel, (right side of forks as you look from the front).
4) Loosen the two pinch bolts on the very bottoms of the fork tubes, (they don't need to come out all the way).
5) Pull and push on each brake caliper to move the pucks back into the caliper, making more room around the rotor. Carefully pull the calipers out, angleing them as you go. Some people put masking tape on the rim to prevent scratching, but I've always been able to get them out without contacting the rim.
6)Using a small diameter screw driver or other tool put through the hole in the left-hand end of the axel, rotate the axel back and forth while pulling it out. Support the wheel as the axel comes out, otherwise it will bind up and make the job harder. Note which spacer goes on which side.
7) Carefully roll the wheel/tire out from under the fender, (you may need to pull up on the fender a little).
Reverse is opposite, except that you should roll the bike off of the centerstand and "bounce" the front forks a couple ot times before tightening the pinch bolts on the forks, (I really feel this is an unnecessary step, but some people swear by it). You may need to put a dull, flat tool in between the brake pads to make more space between them in order to get them back over the rotors.

Rear:
1) Bike on centerstand, take the two Torx head screws out that hold the license plate bracket on. Rotate the bracket up and lift it out.
2) With the bike's transmission in gear, loosen and remove the 5 wheel lug nuts, (a 17mm socket, short extension and a 1/2" ratchet work great).
3) From the left side of the bike, while sitting on the gorund, (unless you're lucky enough to have a lift), pull the wheel towards you. It will pull off of the hub and drop to the ground.
4) Roll the wheel/tire out the back.
5) Installation is the reverse.

When the wheels are off, use a flashlight and take a good look at the brake pad thikness on all of the calipers and look around the inside of the swingarm for any oil leaks. You can also turn the inner races of the front wheel bearings, checking for any "notchiness), and grab each front rotor an try to shke/move it, (the mounting bushings do wear out and cause noise).

Good luck!

George
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 12:57 pm
was

What George wrote.

However, I assume that you are not removing the wheels just for practice, that you are going to be doing other stuff. So my advice would be to get the BMW service manual, and maybe the Clymer manual for cross reference.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 1:44 pm Thread Starter

Smile tire help

Thanks for the instructions. I'm about a hundred miles away from home and need to replace my rear tire. I figured I might as well replace the front while I'm at it. I've got tools with me but ran off and left my clymer manual at home. Thanks for the help!
post #5 of 8 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 2:33 pm

I am in Murphy, NC with a Coats changer and Snap-On computer balancer if you ever need help, again.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #6 of 8 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 9:55 am Thread Starter

tire help

Thanks George and the rest of ya'll for the help. I took the wheels off and got new tires this morning. It was alot easier than I thought it would be.

Thanks again!

Scott
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 11:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootermac
Thanks George and the rest of ya'll for the help. I took the wheels off and got new tires this morning. It was alot easier than I thought it would be.

Thanks again!

Scott
Glad it helped. A lot of jobs on the LT are esier than they first seem.

GB
post #8 of 8 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 10:24 am

Paul Sayegh's service videos cover wheel removal as well as almost all of the other basic service jobs on the LT. I highly recommend them. JMO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in