Autocomm Issue - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 10:02 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs down Autocomm Issue

I installed an Autocomm Pro M-1 in my LT back in '03 and it seemed to work great piping AM/FM, X-M, CD, IPOD, Radar and GPS info to my helmet. In fact it still seems to be doing a fine job of that. But I never had a second seater to ride with until recently so I never used the mics or the driver to passenger communication aspect of the system. My new girl friend loves to ride and that's where the system began to show its weakness. We cannot talk to one another! When we try, we may get one or two word out then the system cuts us off? Adjusting the VOX setting seems to have no effect on improving the two way communication. If I turn the VOX to maximum I lose part of the music audio and it still does not help? If the music is turned off completely, we still get only partial word, even if we yell. In fact, sometimes I can actually hear my significant other yelling at me through her and my helmet, but the electronic connection is pure crap? We both can hear the music signal, GPS and Radar fine.

Are the Mics bad or is it something in the system? I do not have PTT switches in this system, only the Autocomm VOX. I do have a PTT setup on my FRS radio and I know for fact that did work fairly well (don't use it much anymore)

Any thoughts would be helpful? I don't want to buy a new system for
5-year old bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 10:27 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The mics are directional, i.e. there is a front and a back to the disc (dark side forward, light side to the lips). Also they must be up and touching the lips. See if that makes a difference. Set the VOX at mid range.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 10:31 pm

autocom

I have had the 5pin autocom system and still use a pro-rider (7pin) for my solo riding quite a bit. The 5 pin autocom system has a weakness in the mics, they start to short over time. The cables in the connectors also will corrode and get loose causing the mics to cut out. Also, you also can check the foam/felt around the mics to make sure they are not too clogged which can happen over a 5 year period. You can get the mic attachment for your headsets seperately from autocomusa.com or you can take them off of the 7pin system. Becuase you have tried adjusting the VOX setting to no avail, I would isolate the mic not the unit first because it is cheaper. You can also call the people at autocom, they are usually VERY helpful. I hope this helps somewhat. Good Luck.

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 8:38 am

When I bought my 03 with the Pro M1, it would pop and crack and generally be useless. With a little work, it is now a few steps above useless. The first thing I had to do was figure out that the lower cable was hte poppong and cracking. Those can be replaced with a computer Keyboard cable. DIN 5 to DIN5. You can get tehm in beige and spray paint them black if you can't find black ones. Much cheaper thant he Autocomm version and available easily. Once you know you have two good cables, then set the gain (vox, whatever) to where the flat side of knob is perpendicular to the top of the unit. I can't remember which side though. Anyway, if you set it too low, the mics stay open all the time. If it's too high, you can't open the mics even yelling.

The mics should ideallly be placed right in front of lips, lightly touching even better. My wife talks low and doesn't like the mic too close, so we have a predicament similar to yours. The manual also says to use a word like "okay" or something before and after each transmission. At the beginning, it opens the mic to avoid chopping off the first thing you say. If my wife speaks up, I can hear her pretty well. It's still like she's int he next roomn or something, but it works properly. I usually try to hit the MUTE on the handlebar when we're talking, so the music doesn't interfere since she is so quiet.

I thinkthe trick is to speak loudly and clearly into the mics.

Getting the vox set to work ideally is a trick. It took me a while. You want the mics to close when you;re not speaking so it doesn't mute the tunes. And still open without yelling so much.

Good luck with it. Once you get it set, hopefully it will work better. Do you have the manuals for hte autocomm? I think I have seen them online several places, but I don;t have it readily available. Google it.

Randy
post #5 of 7 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 9:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

Red face mics are directional

Hi Vern , the mics are directional . I had a lot of problems with our Pro M1 . At the BMWMOA rally in Lima I talked to the Autocomm folks . They redid our helmets for us . Turns out I had the mics on backwards , And they work a lot better when there on the right way .
Also Randy is right , we are using a DIN 5 key board extinction cord for one of our cables now . That helped with the snap crackle and pop . hope this is of help ...Patric ...

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 4:59 am

hey...glad to hear your girlfriend loves to ride!!!

Marc

I have Autocom too, but a newer, 7-pin set up. No problems here...other writers have suggested the things I can think off...

"...if at first you don't succeed, then skydiving probably isn't the sport for you..."
post #7 of 7 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 5:39 am
Super Moderator

Feel the mics

Just a possibility to consider . . .

I had similiar issues and found that the small mic had rotated in the foam mouthpiece. See if you can rotate it so that it properly fases your mouth when speaking . . .

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in