Couple of Questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 6:34 pm Thread Starter

Couple of Questions

As I've said I am a new Lt owner. I have a couple of Questions
1 My milage is lower than what I've read and what I was told this bike would do.
2 This may be part of the answer to question 1. How high do rev before shifting?
3 Is there any way of moving the bars back a little closer to me, about 2 inches?
From reading on this site I can tell there is a LOT of knowledgeable people here,so any help is welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 6:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by country-bum
As I've said I am a new Lt owner. I have a couple of Questions
1 My milage is lower than what I've read and what I was told this bike would do.
2 This may be part of the answer to question 1. How high do rev before shifting?
3 Is there any way of moving the bars back a little closer to me, about 2 inches?
From reading on this site I can tell there is a LOT of knowledgeable people here,so any help is welcomed.
Welcome to the nut house.

1. If your scoot is new it will take some time before the mileage improves, my feeling is the LT engine takes 20K to fully break in.

2. Rev it, the fat lady likes to sing, anything under 4K and you are lugging it.

3. No, only up and down. The only other practical way to shorten your reach is to have the lumbar portion of your seat modified and made thicker.

4. Check out that technical button at the top of the page - great bedtime reading - guaranteed to put you to sleep!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #3 of 10 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 8:25 pm Thread Starter

Thank you

Thanks
This is a 2000 Lt with 27800 miles on it.

post #4 of 10 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 7:54 am

What kind of mileage are you getting? I have a 2000 with just over 31000, and I get between 46-52, depending on the weather and how fast I am riding.
post #5 of 10 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 5:22 pm Thread Starter

I'm getting 40 mpg running 70 mph.
post #6 of 10 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 5:28 pm

On a 2300 mile trip going an average of 54 mph ( mostly 75 to 80 on the open roads) I reportedly had around 42 MPG.

I also am a double up rider which means that while I might be by myself my 350lbs is the equivalent of 2 up weight.

I was happy with the milleage but compared to 50 or 60 I have never been close with the exception of driving down hill with a tail wind.

Ian

2003 K1200LT
Aprilia Caponord

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 10 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 6:20 pm

Thumbs up Milage

I am on my 3rd LT since '99. 40 MPG has been my average on an interstate ride on all 3. Compare to Gold Wing and Ultra Classic and I'm happy with 40. But I tend to be pretty liberal with the throttle. Check your milage on a 50-65 MPG back road ride.
post #8 of 10 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 7:45 pm
kip

throttle position sensor

might try resetting your tps to increase your mileage

i think it goes something like this:

key on (dont crank)
operate throttle full closed to full open 3 times
key off
key on and crank as normal

(im sure somebody will correct me if i got it wrong)

when i replaced my transmission and got going again i didnt reset mine.....got almost 15 mpg less than i was getting before....reset it and mileage went back to normal.....(which for my bike is about 45 to 47 mpg)

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga
post #9 of 10 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 9:22 am

I have to say that when I run 70 or higher on mine, my mileage does go down a great deal. and 42 or so is the best I get. I usually ride the Interstate infrequently. Try it at 55-60 cruising and see what you are getting! Plus, are you going from the computer, or actually gas comsumption. My computer is about 2-5 off all the time (lower) from what I actually get.
post #10 of 10 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 9:24 am

One other question? Two perhaps depending on how you count it. What kind of windshield do you have, and do you ride with it in the high or low position. I find I get much better mileage with my Cee Bailey #2-4, then with the stock windshield that came on the bike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in