Simple Question, Complex Answer??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 6:08 pm Thread Starter

Simple Question, Complex Answer???

Why can't I keep the hand grips on my LT?? I have the non-heated grips, and I've replaced them twice after the previous ones slip off. The second time I replaced them, I used the super-duper grip glue that my local (Honda) dealer recommended.

I put them on using the little compressed air trick, now three weeks later, I'm again having to modify my throttle hand because the bottom 1/4 of the grip is limp.

What does it take??????? I've heard hairspray, but didn't have any. At this point I've gotta cut these off, and re-install new ones (might as well for ten bucks). I'd really rather they stay in place this time. Opinions???

Last edited by WildernessJeep; Aug 6th, 2007 at 6:13 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 6:14 pm

I used to use hairspray on my goldwing all the time it does work great

Live Free and ride
My Rides
1974 Honda CB360T
1982 Suzuki 750G
1980 Honda Gold Wing
1993 Honda Gold Wing
1995 Harley Road King
1999 BMW 1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<center>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 6:33 pm

If you've got any adhesive residue left over get some 3M adhesive remover and clean with a microfiber towel. Then, rough up the tubes with garnet sand paper, (it will cut chrome) rinse with alcohol and let air dry. Spray on a LIGHT coat of 3M Super 90 spray glue and pop the grips on with a rubber mallet just before the glue dries completely - only about 30 seconds or so. They ain't goin' nowhere.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

post #4 of 11 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 8:14 pm Thread Starter

3M makes great products. I'll try it.

Thanks,

r
post #5 of 11 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 8:37 pm Thread Starter

Somebody said the compressed air trick was "bad for it", and would make the glue not set.

Anybody else have that problem, or is the guy just trying to make me cuss (more) ?????
post #6 of 11 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 8:41 pm

I've got the same problem with the gel grips I use. When they start inching their way off, I turn on the heat and push them back on. After this happens a couple of times, I simply slide them off and spray some more hair spray on them and put them back on. That'll hold them in place for about a month, then the slipping starts all over again.

Tommy
02 K12 LT - 251,000 Miles and counting
442,000+ BMW Miles and counting
post #7 of 11 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 10:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessJeep
3M makes great products. I'll try it.

Thanks,

r
Yep, they sure do. The garnet paper actually cuts into the plating and makes thousands of small grooves for the glue to grip - greatly increasing surface area. Cut it into small, long strips and "floss" the tube at different angles until it's nice and dull.

Super 90 is super expensive, but don't go for the cheesey off brand stuff - or even 3M 77 adhesive which is about half the price - or they'll fall of AGAIN.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #8 of 11 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 1:32 am

Try Permatex black super weatherstrip adhesive. I put new weatherstripping on my car using it, and once set, it will NOT let go. Clean the inside of the grip with brake parts cleaner along with the handlebar. Put a thin coat on both and quickly slide the grip in place. Let sit overnight to make sure it has all set.
post #9 of 11 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 6:05 am

Grips

I can't remember what it is called but it is the tape I used to put golf grips on some clubs I made. Wrap the handlebar with the tape and then rub it down with mineral spirits. The grips slide on real easy. Then let sit for 24 hours. Has always worked for me.

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #10 of 11 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 6:07 am

Grips

I can't remember what it is called but it is the tape(siome kinda double sided tape) I used to put golf grips on some clubs I made. Wrap the handlebar with the tape and then rub it down with mineral spirits. The grips slide on real easy. Then let sit for 24 hours. Has always worked for me.

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #11 of 11 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 7:47 am

hair spray didn't work for me. most have water as an ingredient. i used gasket shellac it didn't work. then i cleaned the old adhesives out with a wire brush and reapplied with gasket shellac. it worked. so if at first you don't succeed then clean it and try again.

Last edited by omurphy; Aug 7th, 2007 at 7:49 am. Reason: misspelled a word

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in