Wiring Problem? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 3:29 pm Thread Starter

Angry Wiring Problem?

I have a strange problem which I think may be wiring related but I have no idea how to trouble shoot this one.

The headlight, taillight and dash lights all go out periodically for a few seconds (1 -5 seconds). I assume there all going out because they are on the same fuse. Friends that I was riding with were telling me this but I couldn't see any pattern when I was riding. Today I just left the bike in the garage and started it. Rocking the bike did not cause the lights to flash but giving hard throttle caused the light to go out. I recently had my local dealer install Ohlin shocks and the problem seems to have started about the same time. He also did the 60K service and replaced a headlight.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 5:13 pm
was

Not sure, but . . .

Check the negative pole of the battery and the ground to the frame. The Hi beam, right turn, left turn, speedometer, and ABS warning lights on the instrument panel all connect directly to the negative pole. So do the low beam headlight, high beam headlight, left and right front turn signals, right horn, left horn, brake light relay, brake lightbulbs, left and right rear turn signal bulbs, flasher unit, and a bunch of other stuff. If your dealer unhooked the battery when doing the service the feeds to the negative pole may not have gotten tightened up, and vibration may cause you to lose the circuits intermittantly. Good luck.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #3 of 11 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 5:14 pm

What year is your bike? If you have a Xenon headlight - check the ignitor - it's on the same circuit.

post #4 of 11 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 8:03 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Check the connections on the starter. That provides the ground for the load shed relay and if loose can cause the relay to cut out producing the symptoms you described. Notice how all that stuff goes out when you crank the engine?

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 9:34 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStanley
I have a strange problem which I think may be wiring related but I have no idea how to trouble shoot this one.

The headlight, taillight and dash lights all go out periodically for a few seconds (1 -5 seconds). I assume there all going out because they are on the same fuse. Friends that I was riding with were telling me this but I couldn't see any pattern when I was riding. Today I just left the bike in the garage and started it. Rocking the bike did not cause the lights to flash but giving hard throttle caused the light to go out. I recently had my local dealer install Ohlin shocks and the problem seems to have started about the same time. He also did the 60K service and replaced a headlight.

Any ideas?
It is probably the bolts that hold the starter on. As was said in a post above, they provide the ground path for the load shed relay. As you rev the engine, the vibration will cause the loose starter to shake on the bolts, the ground path for the load shed relay becomes interrupted and all the items controlled by that circuit will lose power. You can look down from under the riders seat and see the top bolt. A very long flat head screwdriver can be used to tighten the bolt enough to stop the problem, but you will need a stubby ball head allen driver to get the bolt tight. There is also one on the bottom of the starter that you cannot see from above.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 Old Aug 30th, 2007, 9:59 am

I am experiencing exactly the same issue with my 2002 LT. Hit about 4K on the revs and all the lights go out. A local repair guy has the bike right now trying to trace down the problem. Have to go out of town to the BMW dealer, so figured I'd give this guy a shot first.

Can you tell me where/which fuse goes to the headlight? This guy said he pulled every fuse from the three boxes under the seat and the headlight stayed on. And where is the relay located?
post #7 of 11 Old Aug 30th, 2007, 10:28 am

Fixed! Forget that last post...the problem was a loose starter bolt. Tightened it, and all is good now. Just wish I'd seen this thread before taking it to the shop! Oh well.

Now if I can just get my Navigator to turn on...
post #8 of 11 Old Aug 31st, 2007, 12:52 am

Exact same problem hear "the lights" go out at around 4grand. Tend to come back at 6500 or so, but flicker. Check the load relief last weak and that was a big waste of time.
I can now get the plastics of and back on including tank in two hours.

Checking that bolt I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks guys for all the great info.

Randy
post #9 of 11 Old Aug 31st, 2007, 1:59 am

Ok. I feel quite the bone for asking this as I have found the starter, but which bolt/screw am I looking for? The one on the top seems to be tight. Is there another one I should be looking for? I see nothing that requires a flat head screwdriver or allen wrench?
Note: I have the manual, but its been all but useless. Praying I don't have to take this thing apart AGAIN.

2002 K1200LT also btw.

Thanks again.

Last edited by cherioer; Aug 31st, 2007 at 2:08 am.
post #10 of 11 Old Aug 31st, 2007, 4:58 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The electrical connections are what you should be checking as well as the pyhsical mounting bolts. That is the path for the ground on the load shed relay.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 11 Old Sep 8th, 2007, 1:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
The electrical connections are what you should be checking as well as the pyhsical mounting bolts. That is the path for the ground on the load shed relay.
Got her fix. There was a good reason I couldn't find the bolt everyone was talking about. Turns out that bolt came loose andfell out.
Put new bolt in with locktite and bam she's good to go.

FYI: Still for sale and the first $8000 get her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in