ME 880 in the Wet - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 6:59 pm Thread Starter

ME 880 in the Wet

Coming back home from a very soggy ride today out of Lexington (Mid-Ohio), twice I was suprised by the slipping front tire. This is not the first time, new or old ME 880 tires have slipped on me. Now I'm twice a cautious when cornering with the ME 880s. Even the back tire broke free on me in Fostoria as I applied power once around the corner (I fishtailed it).

Have you experienced this as well?

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 7:12 pm

Many say Metzelers don't grip in the rain. I've slipped mine a couple of times but I take it easy on wet pavement. I don't think anything made of rubber will grip wet pavement............but I could be wrong...........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #3 of 32 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 7:22 pm

ME880 in the wet

I think you should PM Dave Shealey and ask him.

FridayBob Chalfant
University Circle, Cleveland, OH
'01 LTC in black, Elvira
'07 LTC in Blue, no name yet
129,000+ miles, 49 states, 9 provinces, Mexico

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 32 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 7:25 pm

never had a prob. i usually slow down
post #5 of 32 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 7:26 pm

Had issues, switched to BT020s.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 32 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 8:16 pm

Avons will grip in the rain, I feel more confident in gravel with them also. Just not sure how long they will last. Time will tell.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #7 of 32 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 8:24 pm

ME800 Wet Miles

Last 3 years, over 50K+ miles on ME880's (front & rear) w/plenty of rain encounters, have never had one slip. But I qualify that by adding wet + 2 wheels to me equates to lots more caution. Really careful in curves and power-on's is the way I ride in wet.

Just my experience....fwiw.

BeemerRiderBob
Dallas/Ft. Worth

'82 R100 Sidecar
'91 R100 GS BumbleBee
'93 R100 GS/PD
'02 K1200 LTC- KIA 09/04/07
'03 KTM 450 Exc (living in Colorado)
'08 R1200 GS Adventure (Joy)

Only 41% of the World Left to Visit!

post #8 of 32 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 8:59 pm

Rode in the worst rain of my life ( last 30 years riding) going to the MOA in WI. The ME 880's held the rode great. I have been running 880's for the last 6 years and never had a problem.

Live Free and ride
My Rides
1974 Honda CB360T
1982 Suzuki 750G
1980 Honda Gold Wing
1993 Honda Gold Wing
1995 Harley Road King
1999 BMW 1200LT

<center>

post #9 of 32 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 9:22 pm

Use a bit more caution in the rain with the Me 880's. I have slipped w/them.

I do believe that they are the longest lasting tire, I've ever used, but because of the dreaded "front end wiggle" I had to go to another mfg for both the front and rear tires. If you don't have that problem.....I'd stay with the 880's............but be careful when in the wet.

Pat

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's
post #10 of 32 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 11:29 pm

Have never had a problem with the 880s, and have ridden for days in the rain. Only time I have slipped is on tar snakes.
post #11 of 32 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 11:45 pm

Wet....Rain what is this stuff? Haven't seen it for a long time.. Enjoyed some real thick fog in Carmel last weekend coming down Ca.1

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34 14 12.63 N
119 01 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #12 of 32 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 8:25 am

I've ridden about 50k on ME880s and lots in the rain. They will slip on tar snakes and some painted center lines when wet but I think most tires will. I always slow down and ride with smoother use of the brakes and throttle in the rain and have had no problems. It takes lots of throttle, or maybe a heavy trailer, to make one fishtail in the rain.
post #13 of 32 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 8:30 am

Never had a problem with the ME880's, and I am a front brake only rider - wet or dry.

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701
post #14 of 32 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 8:33 am

Just road over 500 miles on saturday on the 100,000 foot club ride in Colorado. Once, on a very smooth road, at about 65+, I felt a slight slip and kept it slow. The only time I felt that before was when they were brand new and it was wet.

They are not as solid in the rain as the BT020s. But, they have everything else going for them.

Just need to be very cautious in the rain...
post #15 of 32 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 8:34 am

I try to stay under 100mph in the rain for just that reason, under 80 when pulling the pop up trailer.
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #16 of 32 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 8:37 am

I took a trip to Kansas City from Waco in May and experienced quite a bit of rain. I felt confident and in-control at all times riding on the ME 880s. Around town, have also ridden in the rain/on wet streets; no issues or concerns.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #17 of 32 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 10:58 am

Just the other day I was coming home from work had rained earlier. I was accelerating from a stop, approached slight uphill grade and I noticed what I thought was clutch slippage. A moment later the rear of the bike started coming out. I've had a few other minor slides.
No one has mentioned this yet, it sounds like the majority of LT'ers bump up their tire pressures. I would imagine this would increase the chances of sliding near the limit?
post #18 of 32 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 12:01 pm

Wink

I've been riding with Metzelers for over 20 years. These Me880's are a different animal than the models I have used in the past.
On dry pavement they grip like a tiger, and with wear, they become noisy and
some slippage is apparent in the rain.
I have read other riders have had good things to say about "Avon Storms" , so that might be my next tire aquisition.

Wolf
post #19 of 32 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 12:02 pm

Around here they use this stuff to patch cracks in the road. No grit of any kind added to it, so when it rains, the stuff is like wet metal.
I ran up state rd hill (PA 77 out of Meadville) in the rain one day, the whole hill was a mase of this stuff. The bike would only shift an inch or two before hooking up again, but 3 miles of it was hectic even for me.
ABATE has for years been asking them to put some sand in it, falls on deaf ears.
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #20 of 32 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 12:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaph
Coming back home from a very soggy ride today out of Lexington (Mid-Ohio), twice I was suprised by the slipping front tire. This is not the first time, new or old ME 880 tires have slipped on me. Now I'm twice a cautious when cornering with the ME 880s. Even the back tire broke free on me in Fostoria as I applied power once around the corner (I fishtailed it).

Have you experienced this as well?

Pete
Definitely had that problem with them myself. My one and only set of ME880s caused me heart stoppage 4-5 times. Over 8 sets of BT020 radials with no slips. Someone said the for the newer 880s Metzeler may have changed their compounds, but I would not trust them after that first set. They are good tires for the most part, but absolutely do not have the wet grip of the 020s, period. I gladly gave up front tire mileage to get the better wet grip on the rear by changing to the 020s. Funny though, even though the rear 020 had much better wet grip, it actually lasted longer than the rear 880! The front was another matter, could have gotten 14K out of the front 880, the 020s only lasted 8-9K.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #21 of 32 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 2:16 pm

I won't even put a Metzler on my GT after riding one set on the LT for about 4 thousand miles. I couldn't take them off fast enough to suit me. If they'll slip under power, what about a panic stop? Even riding cautiously if some butt head were to pull a stoopid human trick, you nail the brakes and the Metz's don't grip as well.....?????

I believe in giving myself every edge I can get.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #22 of 32 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 2:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
Around here they use this stuff to patch cracks in the road. No grit of any kind added to it, so when it rains, the stuff is like wet metal.
I ran up state rd hill (PA 77 out of Meadville) in the rain one day, the whole hill was a mase of this stuff. The bike would only shift an inch or two before hooking up again, but 3 miles of it was hectic even for me.
ABATE has for years been asking them to put some sand in it, falls on deaf ears.
Rock
Rock-they use that shit in Ohio too..It is really bordering criminality on many of our roads-they are riddled with the stuff..I certainly BITCHED here about tar snakes!!

I have an 880 on the front and the snakes have been the only puckerer!!

Snakes are applied way too thick on some roads so that when its hot they grab your bike and literally pull it around....then when its wet they are slicker than snot!!!(RANT OVER)

Mike
post #23 of 32 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 5:00 pm

Metz came stock on my FJR and they were simply the worst wet condition tire I have ever experienced. Since I am Seattle-based and ride year round, this is "a bad thing". Yanked them as fast as I could and replaced with the old Avon Azaro's. Night and day difference and a huge confidence gain. Now running the Storms and I have to say they are living up to the hype. One of, if not the best, sport touring tire I have used on any bike at any price.

I'm running the storm up front on the LT with a BT020 radial in the back and its a match made in heaven. The iron wear, stability, and grip of the BT w/ the same going on up front without the BT front cupping. Once the last of my BT020 rear stash runs out, storms in the back too. Ditch the Metz and go Avon, you will never go back.
post #24 of 32 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 5:17 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Avon Radial front, BT020 Radial rear, period. Great traction wet or dry, and the more aggressive profiles make the LT feel 50 lbs lighter. I was getting 6-7K miles on a rear, and 14-17K from a front.

Even the newer BT020 Bias tires do everything better than the ME880s, except maybe mileage. But one good slip or lay down and I don't care how much you saved by using rock-hard tires. ANd yes, you do slow a bit in the wet, but like Grif said, sometimes you need to drop anchor and I want something I can trust under me.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #25 of 32 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 5:37 pm

RE: ME 880 in the Wet

Never ran on Metzler tires. I'm running Bridgestones on the 07 LT. The trip through Canada in June was a wet one with lots of heavy rain. The Bridgestones surprised me in that they stuck to the road as well as they did. I was used to the tires on a circa 1980's Goldwing which was twitchy as the dickens in the rain. The LT was very steady in the corners at speed and I never had even a minor slip from either tire. But, Bridgestones are not very good for milage....
post #26 of 32 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 9:00 pm

I've used nothing the Metzlers on my LT. I've had some slippage in curves on a couple of the tires and none on others. I just ride a little more carefully in the rain.

Tommy
02 K12 LT - 251,000 Miles and counting
442,000+ BMW Miles and counting
post #27 of 32 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 9:24 pm

I am not at all happy with the Metzelers in the rain. Next time I need a set I'm going with the Avon Storms

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #28 of 32 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 10:10 pm

Never had much of problem with the ME880's in the rain, at least nothing to cause me any concern.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #29 of 32 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 7:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo1137
Never had much of problem with the ME880's in the rain, at least nothing to cause me any concern.
That is fine, as long as you are aware that they can be an issue, and ride appropriately you may be OK. I never rode all that hard on them, but had 4-5 slips in places I never expected them. Over the next 3 plus years ran 020's and got to where I rode considerably harder when wet (still somewhat conservative though) due to developed trust in the Bridgestones.

It only takes ONE slip when totally unexpected to ruin your day. Therefore I gave up the mileage of the 880s for the added "insurance" of the much better wet grip.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #30 of 32 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 10:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
That is fine, as long as you are aware that they can be an issue, and ride appropriately you may be OK. I never rode all that hard on them, but had 4-5 slips in places I never expected them. Over the next 3 plus years ran 020's and got to where I rode considerably harder when wet (still somewhat conservative though) due to developed trust in the Bridgestones.

It only takes ONE slip when totally unexpected to ruin your day. Therefore I gave up the mileage of the 880s for the added "insurance" of the much better wet grip.
True enough, I should have also mentioned that I do not ride as fast in the rain as on dry and that I have had some dirt riding experience, so sliding around a bit is something that I am use to and handle. Also, being based in Phoenix a good rain tire is not as important to me as mileage.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #31 of 32 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 1:30 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I won't even put a Metzler on my GT after riding one set on the LT for about 4 thousand miles. I couldn't take them off fast enough to suit me. If they'll slip under power, what about a panic stop? Even riding cautiously if some butt head were to pull a stoopid human trick, you nail the brakes and the Metz's don't grip as well.....?????

I believe in giving myself every edge I can get.
Grif - what kind of tires were on Barbara when you had that minor accident on the wet road a year or so ago?

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #32 of 32 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 8:29 pm
kip

2 cents

metzlers ive had track better or make the bike track better to me especially at higher speeds.....and they definitely last longer
sometime last year up at ironhorse i had to get new tires and all i could get was bridgestones....
the bridgestones are stickier for sure......but dont last as long....
and on my bike....i think the metzlers were better....(to me)
as fate would have it tho i had a flat recently and had to get a new rear which is prolonging my bridgestone experience....

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in