Doing the unthinkable! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 11:51 pm Thread Starter

Doing the unthinkable!

Iíve been riding my í03 LT for two years now. Itís the best bike Iíve ever owned. Iím probably spoiled. I wouldnít want to be without ABS, heated grips and seats, CD player, radio with weather channel, total protection from the wind, electric windshield, comfortable riding position, ample storage, good performance and the adjustable rear shock. In other words, to me this bike is perfect.

Hereís the rub. I have an old sports injury that is now beginning to bother me. My doctor told me it would and that making some ďadjustmentsĒ should be expected. Iíve done some of that. I donít take racquetball so seriously anymore. I play people my own age and realize itís good for exercise and OK to loose. That, by the way, is how I hurt me knee.

Iím a weekend rider, so I donít put many miles on a bike, but less and less miles on the LT is beginning to bother my knee. Itís not the riding position; itís riding in traffic and handling the weight of the LT that hurts. If I ride for half a day Iím sore for a couple of days. After I had the bike for a year I installed the lower seat. That made a big difference, but now Iím back to where I was. My knee seems to be getting worse.

This is the heaviest bike Iíve ever owned. Iím thinking I may need to go back to a much lighter bike. Looks like the BMW R1200RT and Honda ST1300 fit that description. I looked at an RT today and pleasantly discovered I can get all the things I want on it. It is much lighter and doesnít seem to stress my knee. It does have a high seat, and that is one of the things I had to change on the LT. By the way, Iím 6 ft tall, so itís not reaching the ground; itís having a wider stance that I need. Iíve not seriously looked at the ST1300 yet, but Iíve ridden with some and they seem to be nice bikes. They may not have all the amenities I want.

Iím not ready for a three-wheeler yet, but Iím open for other suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 12:13 am

Smile knee pain

I had the same problem only with my 83 R80RT. After sometimes as little as 30 min ride my right knee was hurting so bad I considered giving up riding. Came close to selling the bike and sticking to cages. Someone sugggested I try a product that contained Glucosimine. Did some reserch and talked to a couple progressive doctor friends of mine who said it would not hurt to give it a try. I found a very reasonable source and My knee pain has been eliminated. I felt good enough to rebuild the RT and then purchase an R1200CLC now with 05 LT. 35K miles later and several years, am still pain free. I am not a Dr. so not in a position to advise but it is OTC and you asked for suggestions

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #3 of 33 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 12:20 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiwan
I had the same problem only with my 83 R80RT. After sometimes as little as 30 min ride my right knee was hurting so bad I considered giving up riding. Came close to selling the bike and sticking to cages. Someone sugggested I try a product that contained Glucosimine. Did some reserch and talked to a couple progressive doctor friends of mine who said it would not hurt to give it a try. I found a very reasonable source and My knee pain has been eliminated. I felt good enough to rebuild the RT and then purchase an R1200CLC now with 05 LT. 35K miles later and several years, am still pain free. I am not a Dr. so not in a position to advise but it is OTC and you asked for suggestions
Hi Toby,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been taking 1500mg a day for years. It helps a lot. It's been about 15 years since orthoscopic surgery, so I believe the glucosimine has given me added years of pain-free use. When I hear of someone having joint pain of any kind I always suggest they try it.

post #4 of 33 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 12:27 am

Thats not the "unthinkable". The unthinkable is switching to a Harley cause you local BMW dealer goes out of business, leaving your closest dealer 60 miles away (and with bad traffic between) versus a harley dealer being 1 mile way. If this terrible prediction comes to pass I will definately sell the K1200LT. I might go bikeless for awhile before finally succumbing to the availability of a Harley. I'll just have to see how long I can hold out without a bike....but the complexity of these BMW's really doesn't give us the option to do our own repairs like we could do with a harley. And lets face it.....we do need repairs and parts from time to time despite the basic reliabilty they provide. I just hope harley sees the light and at least adds ABS to their bikes in the future before I have to buy one.....

BMW take note....we cannot continue to support your product if you do not do something to ensure that we are offered the facilities of a local dealer, or at least an authorized warranty repair facility. I'm not a harley fan by any means....but at least they have dealers everywhere throughout the country and I can get parts if I'm stuck on the road. Heck....I can't even get a new tire around the area north of Detroit if my local dealer bites the dust.....

If its got tits or an engine you're gonna have trouble with it

05 Graphite K1200LT
post #5 of 33 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 2:42 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Gary,

What if you could keep all the conveniences and comforts of your LT, but add a few horsepower and save 200 lbs? Look here.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 33 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 4:44 am

Smile

garyj asked about options.

garyj, there has been a few threads about talking about a "voyager system"

i have promised myself that one day many, many years from now when my LT is to heavy for me,that i will get one of these so i can keep riding my LT.

there was another thread about a set of wheels that dropped down at about 5 kmph by a guy in Japan i think it was.the photos that were posted of the unit looked very professional and it looked like it came with it from the factory.

(this is *NOT* a flame)
riderup1 mentioned that the nearest bmw dealer is only 60 miles away for him.
gee whiz, i remember when i lived in Mt Isa i had my Honda VFR800 and the nearest dealer was here in townsville, just a mere 8 hours ride, or 900 kilometers away.
This didnt stop my Dad either from owning a K1100LTSE before he sold it and bought a K1200RS. The closest BMW dealer being in townsville as well.

I quite enjoyed having the dealer 900 kilometers away.

A great excuse for a weekend ride away :-))
post #7 of 33 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 7:23 am

Cool

Gary, I participated in Triathlons a couple of years and there were several people, that while running wore a band around their leg just below the knee, if i remember right. I inquired about the band and was told they had knee problems and the band alleviated the pain. perhaps you could investigate it and see if it would help your situation.

Wish I could give you more info on it, even the name of it. I am sure that a search on it may produce info. if you cant find anything, I could contact some of my old Tri friends.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #8 of 33 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 9:30 am

Thumbs up

The original Cho-Pat strap. Find it here http://www.cho-pat.com/

Does work well for chondromalacia patella stuff, but still doesn't take away the weight of the LT I'm afraid.

My vote goes toward one of them new R12's! I've ridden my buddy's, and although not *quite* as comfy as the LT, it works very well, and has a very entertaining motor.....as well as most of the farkles! The weight difference is obviously VERY noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOGILLS2
Gary, I participated in Triathlons a couple of years and there were several people, that while running wore a band around their leg just below the knee, if i remember right. I inquired about the band and was told they had knee problems and the band alleviated the pain. perhaps you could investigate it and see if it would help your situation.

Wish I could give you more info on it, even the name of it. I am sure that a search on it may produce info. if you cant find anything, I could contact some of my old Tri friends.
post #9 of 33 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 11:06 am

I'm undergoing my 3rd (left) knee operation early next year, at 54 years of age I was told that my jogging/running days are over. I can still haul my LT around for touring and thru city traffic with my wife, but it is not my everyday ride. I want to be able to keep it/tour with it at least 4-6 more years, and then go to a lighter/lower COG touring bike. I'm "hopeful" that the next generation of LT's will meet my criteria. If not, well, .............there will always be other choices.

I've found that the dietary supplement Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM has helped me over the years.

regards

2016 R1200RT
2015 RGU
post #10 of 33 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 2:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Gary,

What if you could keep all the conveniences and comforts of your LT, but add a few horsepower and save 200 lbs? Look here.
Ken,

I've seen those pictures. It is a possibility. It's just that I may have to make a change before that bike is on the market. I may would change to that one even if my knee didn't hurt:-)
post #11 of 33 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 2:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOGILLS2

When my knee is bothering me I have a brace I wear when I play racquetball. It helps with the side to side play. It does not seem to help with the increased weight on the joint, which is the situation with holding the LT. I may only have that weight on my bad knee for a second as I first stop, but a few of those is what seems to aggravate the joint.
post #12 of 33 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 3:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ

I've found that the dietary supplement Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM has helped me over the years.

regards
Me too! I have been taking Glucosamine/Chondroitin for about 12 years now. I used to have a lot of knee problems, but not since starting the tablets. I did notice that the tablets I have been taking also begain to contain MSM about a year ago.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #13 of 33 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 3:46 pm

There is a recent article in Motorcycle Consumer News by flash gordon, md, supporting use of glucosamine for joint pains. flash states that it can take as long as 6 months (!) before the beneficial effects of glucosamine will be noticed. I just started taking it - mebbe by summer of '06, we'll see benefits.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #14 of 33 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 10:15 pm

Garage
Gary:

I have a friend with an ST1300. I actually took him to get it and convinced him that it would be a much better buy than the (ugly) bike he intended to get. I think it looks quite nice and it rides well. I still prefer the LT, but I liked the ST. One thing I found uncomfortable for me was the seat, which was a tad too high for my 5'9" body. No cruise control either. Hope this helps.

Joe
05 Ocean Blue LT "Mein Byk"
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
post #15 of 33 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 8:33 am

Hi Gary-
Dont know what year your LT is but my '05 doesnt appear as heavy in traffic than some of the older LTs I have ridden. The center of gravity appears lower and much easier to straddle.
Jim

PS - That GT looks sweat.
post #16 of 33 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 10:25 am

OK Gary, I have had some knee problems as a result of too much racquet ball as well. I thonght for the longest time I tore something up inside, so I stayed away from a lot of good exersize.

Recently, I decided to run in a 1/2 marathon for charity and learned something about knees and injurys we may or may not have. What I discovered is that the IT band on the outside of my leg was just simply too tight. A trainer suggested I start using a round bolster (like a soft plastic roller about 9" in diameter and about 4' long) to masssage out the tight band. It worked and I was shocked.

Not that I'm trying to play doctor, but have you tried this yet?

-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #17 of 33 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 10:28 am

I have one steel knee joint (A souvenier from a close encounter with a Buick several years ago) and advanced osteo-arthritus in the other knee. I have found that being able to stretch out my legs while riding is a necessity for me to be able to ride long distances.

I installed a set of Highway Ottomans on the LT last year, and they have made a world of difference in the comfort level of my long rides. Other riders have had similar results using J-pegs or other brands of extended foot pegs.

I also find that I am better able to deal with the weight of the bike when stopped, because my knees don't hurt as much.
post #18 of 33 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 11:46 am

I blew out my left knee about 5 years ago playing racquet ball. Actually that was just the final blow to it. Years of sports and abuse finally caught up with me. I tried arthroscopy and that helped some. Then I went to the Glucosamine/Chondroitin, which did not help much. Then I tried some injections of SynVisc that did wonderful things for about 16 months and the second round lasted about 5 months. I finally had a knee replacement about 8 months ago and I kind of wish that I had done so a long time ago.

I can even pick up the LT, (donít ask how I know please) and have been cleared to go skiing again. I donít believe that Iíll ever give up the LT. It is the perfect fit for myself and Marcia. It is expensive but with the help of this site and all the great people Iíve met through this site, it really makes it not so bad.

Good luck on finding the right ride for you and to find some relief for the knee pain. It would seems that many of us here know what you are going though.
post #19 of 33 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 10:02 pm

Gary, I don't have any joint problems but I do feel the LT is a bit top heavy for me at age 62. Even though I rode my beloved LT on a life-long dream ride all around the perimeter of the U.S., I began to miss the "spur-of-the-moment" fun of a short blast down to a local joint as I did on my Triumph in the 60's. So I solved my problem by buying a brand new Triumph Bonneville (about $8K). I have since having the time of my life. At 400 LBS, compared to the LT, It's like a very fast and swift toy. You can get on it easily, balance it between your knees at a stop, and not have to think much about the strategy you are going to use when coming to a stop.

Don't get me wrong, I love my LT, especially for a long cruise, but when it comes to just getting out for a relaxing, no worry, 30 minute ride, the Bonnie get's it hands down. The Bonnie is what I ride 70% of the time. I used to think that many of us may need two types of motorcycles... now I KNOW it.

Good luck.
post #20 of 33 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 10:24 pm

Smile

Six months ago I had my right (total) knee replaced. 2 1/2 months later I went to CCR 2005. Walking then was painful after a short distance, but riding was not.

I've considered a "lighter" bike, but I realize that once rolling the LT is great. I have found that being VERY careful at stops helps a lot. J-Pegs help too. My left knee is even getting better without having to make up for the right knee. The R1200RT was, I found, uncomfortable due to the amount of knee bending required. The R1200GS is better but, after 2 days, it hurts the new knee. The LT is the best riding position -- and I've looked at my share of "lighter" bikes.

I tried all of the snake oil and home remedies and think that I did my knee replacement just before it was too late. Get your body repaired and keep he LT.

Two cents.

Paul Browne
Reston, VA

'06 BMW R1200RT
post #21 of 33 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:36 pm

Oh Boo-hoo! Your nearest dealer is a whole 60 miles away -- an hour's ride. How do you possibly live through such desparate circumstances? Try having your nearest dealer be a nine hour ferry ride and then a 220 mile ride away. Suck it up man.

Mike Gray
Fairbanks, Alaska
2000 K1200LT
2014 F700GS
post #22 of 33 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 1:12 pm Thread Starter

Hal9000 - One of the things that I have come to most appreciate about the LT is the brakes. On of my safety requirements of any motorcycle I own in the future is that it has Anti-lock brakes.

S2DOG - It just seems to be supporting the weight that bothers me. I have a brace to wear when I play racquetball. I hardly ever wear it and do fine. If my knee is bothering me then I wear it.

JSCUILLO - I've done the lower seat modification and removed the top box. I also keep the rear shock at it lowest adjustment. This helps but I'm getting beyond that.
post #23 of 33 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 2:00 pm

How about a sidecar? That's what I am planning on doing next year...
post #24 of 33 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 2:59 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Warren
How about a sidecar? That's what I am planning on doing next year...
I'm not drawn to a sidecar. I have a little two-seater convertable car - that's my sidecar vehicle :-)
post #25 of 33 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 11:08 pm

knees

I have had 7 knee rebuilds and finally have had both knees replaced. I have had artificial knees for 2 years now and have been riding the LT since I bought my first LT in 2003.

What has kept me going is riding a bicycle 12-35 miles a day for at least 5 days a week. The strengthening of the support tissue helps keep the bone abrasion to a minimum by using the low impact bicycle riding.

You cannot sit at a desk all week and think you can expect strength and stability from them. The low impact bicycling does a lot to strengthen them without abusing the joints.

After 7 reconstructions prior to replacement, I know a little about that...compliments of Viet Nam, an AK47 and a bit of shrapnel.

I want to die young...at a ripe old age.

Several Triumphs (which I still love)
one Beezer 441
Harley Sportster (which I still hate and was ecstatic to see go)
2003 LT- traded for 2005
2005 LT- traded for deer (dead after the introduction to the LT- both totaled)
2005 LT- sold for a 2008 Gold Wing GL1800
2008 GL1800 Gold Wing
BMWMOA
post #26 of 33 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 6:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyj
Iím a weekend rider, so I donít put many miles on a bike, but less and less miles on the LT is beginning to bother my knee. Itís not the riding position; itís riding in traffic and handling the weight of the LT that hurts.
Maybe you could try balancing the bike more ie with 2 feet down, instead of propped on one leg. When I'm at a stop light, I can sometimes momentarily lift both feet off the ground because I'm balancing the bike. This works for even very tall bikes like a KLR or KTM adventure. So, no matter what the weight of the bike I'm riding, I never feel it when stopped.

The bike is holding itself up. I'm not.

Hope that helps,

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
Gerbing Heated JACKET LINER Review
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides/p...bing/liner.htm
:
post #27 of 33 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 6:40 pm

Red face

Who can get 2 feet on the ground?
post #28 of 33 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 6:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin1952
Who can get 2 feet on the ground?
When I test rode the Buell Ulysses, the tips of my toes were touching down on one side.

But the bike held itself up. If I had to stop for a prolonged time, I would slide off the seat slightly to put my foot down. But the motorcycle would still be in balance. I was not holding its weight. It's just a way to put less stress on the knees.

Best,

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
:
post #29 of 33 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 6:59 pm

Old Knees

I have a similar problem with the K1200 but it's not the weight of the bike it's the bent knees on pegs with little room to move. J-pegs help but I'm tall and they too fold me up more than the 55 year old knees want to be for a long time. The automan looks appealing but I haven't seen them up close to see if that will stretch the legs out on long rides. Harley forward controls with floor boards is easier on the knees ... but not as much fun to ride.
post #30 of 33 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 7:17 pm

Thumbs up

At 5'3" I can only say that there is never adull moment when i am walking the bike around at low speeds. It must be a sight to see me jumping from side-to-side on the bike to get my one toe on the ground. Have had the bike for 5 years and have no intention of selling it. When I get too old for the gymnastics will get some stabiliser wheels fitted. This is the only bike I have kept for so long - can't imagine parting with it.
post #31 of 33 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 9:02 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Hey dwtklt,

Try the Footpeg Relocation Kit from Suburban Machinery. That, along with a decent backrest, has helped several people with knee and leg issues. The Bakup backrest is quite popular for the K12LT.

Also the Highway Ottomans garner high praise for extended trips.

And a bit of profile information helps, so that we can at least address you by name, or maybe find someone local to you who would let you sit on their bike to test out different configurations.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #32 of 33 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 9:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker
Maybe you could try balancing the bike more ie with 2 feet down, instead of propped on one leg. When I'm at a stop light, I can sometimes momentarily lift both feet off the ground because I'm balancing the bike. This works for even very tall bikes like a KLR or KTM adventure. So, no matter what the weight of the bike I'm riding, I never feel it when stopped.

The bike is holding itself up. I'm not.

Hope that helps,

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
:
Hi Bruno,

Thanks for responding. Most of the time I do have both feet down. It isn't often that I'm forced to support weight on my bad knee, but it does happen and that's the problem.
post #33 of 33 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 9:48 pm Thread Starter

I've done it - put the bike on the CLASSIFIEDS forum :-( I took the bike out today and paid close attention to my position on the bike and supporting it when stopped. My issues are when stopped, moving around when in a parked position, and stopping and then making a sharp turn to my "bad" side. Parking lot speeds aren't a problem - UNLESS someone would make me do a quick stop, especially during a turn to my bad side. I did that once and it really hurt! I'm not happy about this, but my knee will be.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in