Can you tell me why you choose to ride an LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 11:42 pm Thread Starter

Smile Can you tell me why you choose to ride an LT?

We were out for a ride this afternoon and did not return home until late evening and As most of you know traveling at night you sort of feel like you are in a tunnel, you see the road as your lights illuminate it with an occasional car passing from the other direction and even though nothing has really changed from the daylight you kinda close out the rest of the world. It is at times like these that I pay the most attention to the sounds and sensations of the motorcycle I am riding, tonight with my LT, a gentle hum from the exhaust, a confident easy purr saying Im here if you need me, an almost non existent whir from the drive gears, the tires gently rubbing on the surface of the road saying I gotcha just relax, I adjusted the windshield and there was a gentle wind puffing at my sleeves and occasionally at my face, I turned the radio down to better hear the LT whisper to me, and as I listened a feeling of contentment crept over me, one that is not available to me any other place, THAT IS WHY I RIDE A MOTORCYCLE AND CHOOSE TO RIDE AN LT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 11:55 pm

Talking

I ride an LT because... she made me (ex SO)!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 5:30 am

Moi Aussi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
I ride an LT because... she made me (ex SO)!
Almost exactly as Zippy, except current SO. Weird. If I mention selling it (even just to get a newer one) she freaks. I don't know WTF she does back there on longer rides, but seems too content to me. Heck, just yesterday, we cruised into town, got a "few" groceries. The LT swallowed the many bags without a hitch.
Dunno. LT-wise specifically, I would say the famous transformation: from a parked, lumbering truck to an agile, powerfull crotch-rocket at speed.

post #4 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 7:42 am

Talking

After 37 years of riding, and the LT being the best; Its because when I get On everything else " goes away".
We can ride for 700 miles/day and we always want to get back on.
Because riding first thing in the morning with my SO heading thru the great beautiful land of AMERICA is where our souls meet. Very few LOOK at this country for its amazing beauty and just drive thru it. The LT just helps us get thru with its endless beauty and its reliablility. (76000 no issues.)
What else is there? MY WFE, The BIKE and the WORLD.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #5 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 8:24 am

From the very first time I saw an LT, I knew I was going to own one sooner or later. I took a few years, but the wait was well worth it. This motorcycle not only rides as good as it looks, it has also taken my experiences and expectations of motorcycle riding to a level that I did not know existed.

I cannot for the life of me, phathom a replacement. The LT is the purest of the pure.......that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #6 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 8:47 am

Alway wanted a BMW.

We did not have a dealer so I rode Honda's. Great motorcycle, but I always wanted a BMW. Even without a dealer I bought a K100RS white, which was totaled with a deer strike that was in 1996. I have two Goldwings, 1994 and a 2001. Again great motorcycle, but I wanted another BMW. So Miller BMW opens it doors in 2002. I bought a 2002 RT which did not like, with my Goldwing. The SO did not the RT so we sold the RT and Goldwing and I got my first LT in 2002. Have had LT ever since and love it. After my Alaska trip on 1999 without any problem, an LT will always in the garage.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #7 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 9:09 am

My wife also loves her "throne", but she really LOVES the LT's presto-change-o
from comfy to twisty!!!
In that regard...last week on our Sunday ride w/HD's she said "I'm not nearly as tired as we usually are?? I answer-"We have never done so many miles that are not twisties and you are not just hanging out back there-you are leaning, anticipating, and so on.
So the LT is it!!!

MIke
post #8 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 9:43 am

Being a farmer at heart, I like tractors.... I like their simplicity and function.

When I rode the Oriental machines, they were scary fast fun... but I had an aversion to the Metric System.

So much of the tractor is customizable to personal taste... color, exhaust note.... and all it takes is a few bucks. The Orientals were, well, Oriental.

BMW... when I would sit on them in the showroom, didn't seem to "fit". It was the "Ugly German attitude"... "It is perfect."

In 2005 my wife finally convinced me, after 10 years, to test ride a BMW, the LT. I loved it's blend of performance and touring...

In my American way of thinking, I see "faults" in the product design of the BMW... things I know they can fix... that may happen when they decide on the PERFECT fix(es).

Side Note: IF it were up to me, I would mostly do the "adventure touring"... camping, waking to the sound of quiet you only find in nature and mountain vistas... something a BMW can do, just not the LT.

So, to answer the question, I ride the LT because it is the best currently being manufactured... and it's the epitome of the kind of motorcyclist I have matured to...

I just need to "grow up" and realize it...... NAAAAHHHH!!!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 10:25 am
Lifetime Supporter

When I was looking to get back on two wheels in earnest and replace my 76 Kawasaki I wanted a BMW, in part because of their support of older models. I wanted a touring model and narrowed down the search to RT, RS, or LT. Cruise control was almost mandatory so the RT was out, I'm an old guy so humping the RS gas tank all day wasn't appealing, and finally the LT's extra heft was offset by comfort for the SO.

Motor On ,/'

post #10 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 10:27 am

After riding BMW's for over 40 years, this year I trailered to West Bend. The SO said riding the LT was better than all the other BMW's we had ever rode.

an no matter what it take to ride to Gillette, WY next year it will be ride or NO GO.

The only problem with my LT is it is over 7years old, an only has 41,000 mile on it.

Some thing is wrong.
post #11 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 10:51 am

For a long time I lived on a motorcycle for much of the year.
Sure my articles about breakdowns in the middle of nowhere. How I made the repairs to get me where I needed to be were entertaining for the readers. But they were still a PITA for me.
I wanted the best ride and longest service for my riding dollar, (length of service for dollars invested) BMW fit the bill and still does.
That said the LT has it's limitations, but for highway riding it has no equal.
Now it sucks in the dirt and you have to buy another bike to train for serious off road adventures.
I read your post and I have always tried to tell people, turn all the BS off and become one with your machine. It makes you a better rider.
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #12 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 11:11 am

The short version

In early '02, I took a ride down the Blue Ridge Parkway on my '83 Honda V65, then on to Atlanta, GA. I have owned SIX V65s, and had a love affair with the machine for many years. But on the way home back in '02, I finally decided that the V65 was not the right machine for me anymore. I needed something more suited for Long-Distance Touring. I looked at every make and model available. I figured someday I'd own a GoldWing, but that just wasn't the right time . . . guess I figured at 37, I wasn't old enough yet. (Honest!) The last bike I looked at (and test rode) was a new BMW K1200RS. I was pretty set on buying that bike. When I showed it to my wife online, she wasn't too thrilled with the pillion. I showed her an LT, and she said, "Oh! I'd ride THAT!!!". The next morning I got on the phone with the two nearest dealers and had them give me a price for the exact same LT. The lowest bidder got my business. 46K miles later, I sold the LT and bought a new '06 GT from that same dealer.

Although I'm not as brand loyal as some...I'll probably always own a BMW of some sort. There's just something about 'em...
post #13 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 11:11 am

I test rode all the touring bikes while I hade my 1984 Yamaha Venture, And this is the replacement I choose. It came down between the gold wing and the LT. The LT was what I got and have no regrets.
I love this bike.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #14 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 11:26 am

The price was right.
post #15 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 12:43 pm

I like how people always think BMW's are soo expensive. For what they have on them they are one of the cheapest bikes used. I bought a 2000 for 7,500. You can't even find a 2000 Goldwing close to that price, plus your stuck with the ugly model. I wasn't looking for another LT to add to my 1100 but I couldn't pass up the price. I love my LT's for LD.
Most people think im crazy. I pull up take off my helmet and gear. First question I get, "Aren't you a little young for that?"
I respond, "No, its a sportbike motor trapped in touring luggage."
This fall hoping to hit all the states besides Alaska. LT is best bang for buck.
Almost forgot 320 miles on tank of gas!!!! Soon to be more.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"

Last edited by ironbuttwannabe; Aug 5th, 2007 at 12:53 pm.
post #16 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 1:01 pm

Put many miles on our Rt.......
but........well.......getting older and wanted more "comfort"......................
Couldn't bring myself to leave BMW but I liked the Goldwing approach..........
I held back for quite a while, not wanting to admit I didn't need "sporty"..........
Best move I ever made.....................(beside letting Karen put an air mattress in our tent).................

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #17 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 3:10 pm

Thumbs up Price and Comfort

Price and comfort.

I know that's 2 reasons instead of one.

Oh well, that's my story. LOL

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #18 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 3:19 pm

It was the wife

On the previous bike we could do 450 miles but the next day she couldn't ride. One day in the BMW show room in Wooster, the salesman suggested we both sit on the LT. She said "you can get one of these!"... who am I to argue?

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #19 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 3:35 pm

I don't ride an LT yet, but am looking into getting one. I currently ride a HD Street Glide. Not a bad bike but I am looking to take my steed to the next level. I am kind of uncomfortable trying to fit the image of HD, and the direction they have been going with quality control and customer service is not agreeing with me. I am 30 years old and have owned many sport bikes and a couple HDs. I don't care for loud pipes or bikes that are all show and no go. I registered to this site to get some insight and maybe reinforce my decision to go with an LT. I grew up on Beemers in the 80s going from rally to rally with my father on his 1982 R 100GS. It was a great time and are some of my fondest memories. I guess there isn't any bad motorcycles to ride, if a trail 70 was all I could get my hands on, you would still see me smiling. I have 7 months to make my decision out in Iraq so I will be picking your brains with questions from time to time. Hope you won't mind. Great site so far.
post #20 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 4:28 pm

It followed me home

I took it for a test ride and could not believe the way it handled for such a big bike. Just could not stop smiling. Felt that life was just too short to say no!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #21 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 5:43 pm

Same excuse as some of the other folks on here, wife's doings.

Went to the dealer's with the intention of getting a new RT. They had a copper colored one that caught my eye, was sitting on it, the usual. Wife got on back and then she wanted to sit on the LT that was right beside it. Did so to humor her. She said that this is it, we're getting this bike. I tried to get out of it, it was black, told her I'd had black bikes before and they were hard to keep clean, Larry the sales guy said no problem, we got them in a couple of different colors. A couple of hours later I was on the way home on an Anthricite LT.

First time someone else has picked out my bike for me. She did good.

B D R
post #22 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 5:52 pm

Same here. We stopped in at a dealer to pick up a face shield, wifey gravitated to the LT, sat on the back & said "let's take it for a demo ride". She later told me that she was planning on announcing that she would no longer ride our R1150RS.

After the first corner, I was smitten. I couldn't believe how light the thing felt nor how smooth the engine was. I like it more every time I ride it.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #23 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 6:35 pm

Mona looked at the RS and said "thats what I pictured you on" my response "it looks like speeding tickets to me, and I want you to be comfortable , this bike is about -us ,not me!!
Those who have ridden with us know she does not miss rides regardless of weather or technical difficultly of the road..so I guess it is about US !!!

Mike

I don't wanna work..just wanna bang on my LT all day.....
post #24 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 6:44 pm

I owned a 99 LT that I purchased because of my interest in long distance touring and because my ex was also interested, so comfort was a huge factor. With the LT the comfort factor was a no brainer and immediately realized that, but what I also quickly found out, is that the LT is a real performer. Recently remarried to a woman who is interested in touring, a second LT is a forgone conclusion for me and my wife after sitting on one in the showroom said this is the one.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #25 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 7:02 pm

Here's my story: I rode with a couple of buddies on some relatively long tours while I still owned my '2000 Goldwing SE which I still consider a great bike. First two rides (Deals Gap and then around the 5 Great Lakes) with my friends, Wayne on an LT and Renzo on a HD Roadking. No LT envy. Third year, back again to Deals Gap, Renzo asks to ride Wayne's LT. Wayne looks funny on the HD. After only 100 miles on the LT, next year Renzo is on an LT. Now I'm staring at two LT's and developing a curious interest while riding to the West through Montana and Wyoming in June of '2006 thinking maybe the LT's don't look so bad after all. Then, I take a later '2006 ride to Utah meeting up with my cousin, Tom, who rides a Honda VTX. Unfortunately, Tom's riding buddy, Gordie, has a '2003 LT. Now I'm staring at another LT for 4K miles through the mountains in Colorado and Utah. Then, I start talking with a buddy, Carl, that is rekindling an interest in riding. He's looking at the BMW RT. I started telling him about the virtues of an LT which of course he dismissed as heresay because I didn't ride an LT. He did then start looking at the LT and started liking them. Being an advocate of the LT, I started looking at the LT seriously considering buying one but made the decision that I was not going to buy an LT unless the deal was "right". To make a long story a little longer, Carl bought a '2006 LT, Gordie traded his '2003 LT for a '2007, I bought a '2007 and Renzo and Wayne are contently riding their '2002 and '2000 LT's. That's why I ride an LT (and like it).

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

Not all those who wander are lost.

post #26 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 7:11 pm

the More I Ride It; The More I Chose It !
post #27 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 7:31 pm

We set out to buy a new Road King. Instead of giving the dealer my deposit to get on his waiting list, I told him I'd be back when there was a foot of snow on the ground in July.

My wife and I choose the LT over the GW because my left foot roasted on the GW, and my wife liked how calm it was for her when I put the windshield all the way up.

I looked at how many times a year I drove my car, I'm a widower now, and decide it was cheaper to rent a car the 3 or 4 times a year I need to drive one, that to own a car.

So, its just the LT now.

Bob
post #28 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 7:33 pm

We set out to buy a new Road King. Instead of giving the dealer my deposit to get on his waiting list, I told him I'd be back when there was a foot of snow on the ground in July (they worked very hard to convience me not to buy another HD) .

My wife and I choose the LT over the GW because my left foot roasted on the GW, and my wife liked how calm it was for her when I put the windshield all the way up.

I looked at how many times a year I drove my car, I'm a widower now, and decide it was cheaper to rent a car the 3 or 4 times a year I need to drive one, that to own a car.

So, its just the LT now.

Bob
post #29 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 7:54 pm

Why I Ride

I don't have a glamor story. I ride a Lt because my older brother had a 2000.
I was riding a V Star when he called me and said: he would feel better if I was riding the LT. So I sold my V Star and took him up on his very good deal.
I have been riding it for 4 days and loving every minute of it.
post #30 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 8:51 pm

Simple: I was ready to graduate to a touring bike and the LT was touted as the best so I bought it.

After I picked it up I was thing "I must like a challenge".
post #31 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 10:12 pm

Better to be lucky then good

We were ready to move up to a touring bike but the wing made me feel old.
I tried the fjr1300 was too hot and seemed small for 2 up riding. The st1300
seemed nice but was also hot and expensive. Just happened to see a guy riding an LT on the interstate and with out ever riding one I met an Lt owner
half way between home and Chicago and after a short test ride we were Lt
owners and I'd say we were lucky we seen that Lt on the interstate. Now we're the ones on the interstate and the twistys.
post #32 of 36 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 10:54 pm

Cool Why I ride an LT (and others)

Much to the chagrin of my understanding wife, I have three bikes (bless her heart). I ride two hondas and the K1200LT (2000 - Canyon Red). I have the small Honda Magna for tooling around town. The Honda ST1100 for when i feel sporty in my retirement years. And of course the K1200LT for the longer rides. My wife prefers the LT because she is warm (can you say heated seats) and dry with the large windscreen and my carcass to block any H2O that may fall from the sky. I have done numerous long rides with two of my compatriots (hence we become the three amigos). The LT is a big bike, but after about 5 miles an hour, it enters its "sport mode" and is a blast to ride.

I equate my life and riding, to a dog in a car, out for a sunny days ride. Some dogs just sit on the back seat or their owners laps. Not a bad way to spend your life. Then there are those dogs that no matter "how olde" need to head for the open window and stick their flapping tongue out the side for all the world to see. That pretty much sums up how i feel when i am motorcycling versus doing the cage thing. Enjoy your ride and your life!!!!!
post #33 of 36 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 1:39 am

I bought my LT June 06. My last bike was a BSA Rocket Gold Star, which I sold in 1983. I had only been on a bike a couple of times since then. Every time I suggested to the wife that I might by another motorcycle she said no, so one day I just said that I was popping out to have a look at a bike in a local dealers. I went specifically to look at the LT. When I saw it for the first time I couldn't believe how big it was. I sat on it for about 10 minutes trying to imagine what it would feel like to ride. I looked at all the switches and dials including that gps mount and thought this is it. I paid a deposit never haven ridden it and picked it up the next week. Every time I get back on it is like the first time, its special and the wife likes it to!
post #34 of 36 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 4:30 am Thread Starter

Smile Many Reason's

I wanted to say thanks to all who have responded to my question, there are many reasons among us, for buying an LT for a few it was a choice born of curioisity, for others a decision made because of the comforts, still others because of the beauty but for a lucky few because of the passion for this motorcycle. BMW has a truly unique approach to motorcycles I have owned other models and enjoyed them immensely but the LT is the best of the lot, as it should be.
Please continue to write here so that others who visit the forum and wonder if they might like an LT can read your responses and hopefully get a glimpse into what makes this a special motorcycle.
post #35 of 36 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 11:15 am

Is there anything else? I think not, for me, the LT is the Be all and end all as far as motorcycles are concerned. It was my first bike and unless something really rad appears on the horison it will be my last bike
post #36 of 36 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 2:15 pm

Since I was 5 years old I wanted a Harley-Davidson. When we were ready to buy, we rented a HD EGC, it beat the wife crazy, had to help her off of it, after two hours of riding, and she refused to ride it for any amount of time. We tried the goldwing and neither of us liked it. A friend suggested a BMW LT and let us ride his after 15 minutes the wife gave her okay, 2 years ago we purchased a 03 and have been going ever since, 36K miles later we both are still smiling. As soon as I crank it up she grabs her helmet and says, where are we going?

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in