HID Lighting - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:13 pm Thread Starter

HID Lighting

I noticed on my trip back from Canada that my low beam would cut off. I switched to high beam and irritated few drivers during the wee hours on the road, but I had to see, and the high beam stayed on. I thought it was the low beam ballast and ignitor, so I ordered a new set, and switched the ballast from the high to the low so I could continue to ride, however tonight the high would cut off every minute or so on the ride home. If I switched from high to low and back on again it would be fine for another few minutes. All connections were checked and seemed in order. Any ideas?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 12:23 am
Senior Member (ret.)

I would check the ground strip inside the headlight that holds the high beam bulb and grounds both the high annd low beam wires. make sure the wires are on the spades tight.

Also, check to see if an of the inline fuses are loose inside their respective holders. If you have a relay than check that also.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 19 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 7:26 am

Then there's the ever famous, hair line cracked fuse. It looks alright, Flukes alright, but has an intermittant short. That one will drive you gonzo.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 7:38 am Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I will replace both fuses, I dont have any spades left , everything under there is soldered.
post #5 of 19 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 7:39 am

I had this happen and had to use the high beam and than put the original light back in to complete the ride. I found the ground wire had come loose from its connection, the crimp was poorly done. With the crimp fixed and secure there is no problem.
Cliff
post #6 of 19 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 11:37 am Thread Starter

Question

Took the nose cone off, checked all the connections, replaced the fuses, even put on an extra ground wire from the ground to the frame, the low beam still only comes on for a minute or so then goes out. If I turn the bike off and turn the key on then it all works again for a minute or so. Any other ideas??
post #7 of 19 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 12:23 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Ok. Next step is to look at the bulb itself. Turn ignition off. Disconnect pigtails, get bulb out and check to see if the bulb lens is cracked. You may need a magnifier. If there is no crack. then it's either the igniter or ballast.

On a CQLight brand that I installed, I had a similar issue. Culprit was the pigtail connector to the igniter. Operator/installer error in that it was not properly connected. Once I had the connection right, we had no more issues.

One other thing I would check is the connection inside the headlight. Brown and yellow wire connector for low beam. Make sure the + and - wires from the HID side are seated properly. You should hear a slight click noise when they are.

Let me know what you find.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #8 of 19 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 12:26 pm

I'd also like to point out the an LT frame is not a good grounding point.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #9 of 19 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 12:53 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Just for kicks....check for polarity correctness. HIDs have a fail safe mechanism built in inside the ballast/igniter and will turn themselves off if the polarity is not correct.

Raffy
post #10 of 19 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 1:12 pm Thread Starter

I switched the ballast wiring, so that I could rule out a bad ballast and ignitor, so that with the high beam on I have low beam on the headlight, still only stays on for a few minutes. I checked the main connector going from the wire harness to the headlight assembly, there is a little play in it, though I moved it around to see if it will cut out the light and it stays on so the connection there is good. Still only stays on for a few minutes. Of the 3 wires going out of the headlight assembly, one is to the high beam, one to the low beam and one to the ground which is spliced to incorporate an extra wire to the bike frame, which probably is not doing anything. All connections are soldered, no spades at all
post #11 of 19 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 1:17 pm Thread Starter

Stupid question, as I have almost no electrical knowledge on 12 v systems, can I check the connector on the harness with a test light and see if there is continual power without frying something important?
post #12 of 19 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 1:21 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Bike harness? Yes.

Do not attempt to do that on the wiring from ballast/igniter unless you take major precautions. You are dealing with 18K-22K volts!

Your ground wire seems to be the culprit. Run a ground buss from the battery up to the nose cone. Then connect that wire to it. Or run that wire to the horn bolt with a O ring terminal below the bolt.

If it were me, I'd do the ground buss.

Raffy
post #13 of 19 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 1:28 pm

Try the relay

My HID's were doing the same and I switched out the relay (under $5.00); has worked ever since. The relay will get wet and rust.
post #14 of 19 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 2:07 pm Thread Starter

pics of new ballast and old, new one does not have a fuse
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STA72214.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	13494   Click image for larger version

Name:	STA72215.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	13495   Click image for larger version

Name:	STA72216.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	13496   Click image for larger version

Name:	STA72217.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	13497   Click image for larger version

Name:	STA72218.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	13498  

post #15 of 19 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 2:33 pm

Mike is coming over to work on the HID failure this evening. DOES ANYONE HAVE A COPY OF THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CQ HID SYSTEM??? If so, can you email them to [email protected] Thanks in advance!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #16 of 19 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 2:56 pm

Hey Jack, I don't recall any instructions. Either that, or I just chunked them.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #17 of 19 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 9:17 pm

Well, we checked every ground, connection etc on the bike and through switching the ballasts and ignitors, we dtermined that it is the low beam buld going bad. It will come on for about a min (if that long) and then go out. If you cut bike off, and then back on it does the same thing over and over.

Anybody ever heard of such a thing being caused by a bad HID bulb?

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #18 of 19 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 9:48 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Yup. Is the center dark? Did you find any cracks in the bulb?

Raffy
post #19 of 19 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 9:56 pm Thread Starter

Smile

A dark smudge but not on the center of the bulb. I will now see if I can sell the new ballast and igniter before monday, or I will send it back to cq and get a new bulb. Thank you to everyone who helped in this very frustrating time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in