Reverse Controller Cost??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 6:48 pm Thread Starter

Red face Reverse Controller Cost???

My 2000 LTC has a problem with the reverse. It'll backup 5 feet or so and then stop. The R light flashes then. If I let off on the button and hit it again it will go another five feet and stop again with the light flashing. I've searched this site for anyone else having a similiar problem and found a number of people that had the same symptons and ended up replacing a component they called a "reverse controller". Today I talked to my dealer to make an appointment to have the controller replaced. He said the controller unit was over $1000!!!! I'm curious if this sounds right or if it was a different component that other people actually replaced and just called it a reverse controller. I also talked to the mechanic and he said he'll do a number of tests before he just blatantly replaces the component. By the way, I've dealt with this dealer for well over twenty years and I'm positive they're not trying to rip me off. He actually showed me the price on his parts computer.

Any thoughts???

Jack

"Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are".

Jack

2000 LTC Cannon Red
1997 Valkyrie Tourer
1987 Helix (hers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 7:40 pm

Reverse Controller Cost???

Check beemerboneyard.com, they usually have one of these. The last one one the site is listed at $200.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #3 of 11 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 7:46 pm

Did a search on "reverse problem" found this

It is too easy to run home after a bad dealer or warranty experience and post away.

So, I am pleased to announce that my reverser was diagnosed and repaired on the first attempt by BMW of Charlotte. The speed sensor was the culprit. (In my case, the bike would move aft about 3 feet with each successive press of the starter button while in reverse mode.)

In addition to the reverser problem, they replaced my rear rotor due to excessive disc play about the rivets. I know this is a huge topic of discussion, but in my case I really didn't mind the rattle and I did not make the complaint. However, the tech and service manager recommended replacement.

For point of reference, the new rotor has quite a bit of float about the rivets also but not as much as the original, and no rattle on slow cornering.

The bike's in good shape and looks like she was well treated during her stay.

Hope this information helps someone else solve their similar problems.

Garry

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 6:10 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion about the used parts and other possibilities. If my mechanic determins that it is the controller, I'll definitely wait to buy a used one. That $1000 price tag is just a bit too much. If it quits working completely, I'll just resort to the way we used to do things (b4 reverse) and be careful where I park.

Jack

Jack

2000 LTC Cannon Red
1997 Valkyrie Tourer
1987 Helix (hers)
post #5 of 11 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 6:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfwandrn
My 2000 LTC has a problem with the reverse. It'll backup 5 feet or so and then stop. The R light flashes then. If I let off on the button and hit it again it will go another five feet and stop again with the light flashing. I've searched this site for anyone else having a similiar problem and found a number of people that had the same symptons and ended up replacing a component they called a "reverse controller". Today I talked to my dealer to make an appointment to have the controller replaced. He said the controller unit was over $1000!!!! I'm curious if this sounds right or if it was a different component that other people actually replaced and just called it a reverse controller. I also talked to the mechanic and he said he'll do a number of tests before he just blatantly replaces the component. By the way, I've dealt with this dealer for well over twenty years and I'm positive they're not trying to rip me off. He actually showed me the price on his parts computer.

Any thoughts???

Jack
he didn't mention how much labor it was to replace it either
you might want to ask him that as well.

it is not just a 10 minute job, <g>
post #6 of 11 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 7:15 am

Quote:

Any thoughts???

Jack
The symptom you are having is most surely the speed sensor circuit for the reverser. The things that have failed in that circuit are the speed sensor itself, the wiring, or the connector for the sensor.

Think about any maintenance done on the bike recently knowing this -

- The sensor is on the top right front of the transmission just inboard of the RH rider peg bracket. Your dealer can verify a bad sensor. It is difficult to troubleshoot this on your own.

- Follow the wire lead from the sensor forward. Until you get to a connector along the RH frame in the same location as the fuel pump electrical connector. This connector is known to be left disconnected after some maint. or may be loose.

- Look at all the wiring you can between the sensor and the controller for any obvious damage. The controller is opposite and just aft of the battery when you open your seat on the LH side.

These are the things that usually cause this problem. A controller may fail in the same manner and could be your problem, but I'd make sure the others are ruled out first.

Let us know what the final solution is.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #7 of 11 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 9:21 am Thread Starter

Thanks John, I have an appointment on the 21st of August for the dealer to do some trouble shooting. The first thing the mechanic asked me yesterday was whether or not the speedometer was acting up. His first thought was the speed sensor. I'll make sure they check out all your suggestions.

Thanks Again

Jack

Jack

2000 LTC Cannon Red
1997 Valkyrie Tourer
1987 Helix (hers)
post #8 of 11 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 11:49 am

Loose Wire

My 2006 did the same when it was brand new. Got some advice from the LT Doctor and hed our dealer check it out. Whilst they had ordered a replacement part under warranty, it was found to be a loose connection. Reattached the wire and all was back to normal. Get your tech to check this aspect before taking out your wallet.

I would rather be riding my bike and thinking about God than sitting in Church thinking about my bike!

Regards
Allen
post #9 of 11 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 12:21 pm

Quote:
Thanks John, I have an appointment on the 21st of August for the dealer to do some trouble shooting. The first thing the mechanic asked me yesterday was whether or not the speedometer was acting up. His first thought was the speed sensor. I'll make sure they check out all your suggestions.

Thanks Again

Jack
The mechanic is a little off track there though, the reverse speed sensor is not the same as the one used for the speedo, on your bike that sensor is on the rear drive.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #10 of 11 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 7:09 pm

Smile Reverse Controller Cost?

I can vouch for the connector on the right hand side frame. Had the same problem with my 2001 for almost a year. Had the valves checked by the dealer last year (I did the remainder of the 12,000 mile service). The mech had to take the seat frame off and must have hit the connector and loosened it. Made partial contact with the same symptoms. If you have the right side plastic off, easy to check. Best, Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
The symptom you are having is most surely the speed sensor circuit for the reverser. The things that have failed in that circuit are the speed sensor itself, the wiring, or the connector for the sensor.

Think about any maintenance done on the bike recently knowing this -

- The sensor is on the top right front of the transmission just inboard of the RH rider peg bracket. Your dealer can verify a bad sensor. It is difficult to troubleshoot this on your own.

- Follow the wire lead from the sensor forward. Until you get to a connector along the RH frame in the same location as the fuel pump electrical connector. This connector is known to be left disconnected after some maint. or may be loose.

- Look at all the wiring you can between the sensor and the controller for any obvious damage. The controller is opposite and just aft of the battery when you open your seat on the LH side.

These are the things that usually cause this problem. A controller may fail in the same manner and could be your problem, but I'd make sure the others are ruled out first.

Let us know what the final solution is.

Bob
post #11 of 11 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 8:13 pm

[QUOTE=bowlesj]
-

I was just going to suggest this. I discovered the connection hanging loose when I had my tank off just before the National Rally. I saw this connector just hanging there. Before I may have thought it the lead for an additional power outlet near the rear brake pedal as there is one on the left near the shifter. (The outlet is not installed but the wiring connection is there.) Anyway I looked around and found the other side of the connector and plugged the two in. I believe the wires are brown with yellow and green stripes. Or some combination of the 3.

Before my reverse was acting as you described. Today I used it to back up 15 feet. It worked flawlessly.

I don't ever remember disconnecting this wiring but must have since I've done all the maintenance on Tarkus for the past 3 years.

Pull the plastic and check this before spending any money!

-

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in