Seat adjuster missing - 2000LTC - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 4:27 pm Thread Starter

Seat adjuster missing, got picture? - 2000 K1200LTC

Greetings,

I just picked up a used year 2000 LTC and I there's no height adjustment hardware under the seat. The rider's manual shows a poor-resolution picture and that appears to show a horizontal rod that rotates to select amongst two different heights (a tab is either jacking the seat up, or not). I suspect the previous owner may have removed the metal bar entirely to get the seat down lower. I'm 5'9" and was surprised to find that I can flat-foot the bike. I found the bracket # online, so I should be able to just order one.

Is this a common hack to lower the seat? Could somebody take a picture of the their seat bottom (the bike, not your butt) that shows the bracket and how it's mounted?

Thanks,
Wayne
Austin, Texas

Last edited by waynelt; Aug 3rd, 2007 at 4:40 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 4:48 pm

Low Seat

If you have the BMW low seat on your bike, alterations were done to adapt it properly. You lose the ability to adjust the seat. If you are 5'9" and flatfooting it, it is probably the bmw low seat.
post #3 of 14 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 4:49 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Yes this is common enfact I removed mine also. I thought that I keep it but could not find it. I'll look again later. if I find it you welcome to have it. I'm in Austin also so getting it to you will be easy

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 14 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 5:03 pm

First picture is in high setting. Second picture in low. Im 5'11". Always have on high, but i have a longer inseam than most. Hope it helps a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seat 001.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	13483   Click image for larger version

Name:	seat 002.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	13484  

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #5 of 14 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 5:21 pm

Seat Adjuster

I'm pretty sure I have my seat adjuster (from an 03). If you decide you can use it, it's yours for the price of shipping.

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 K1200LT (Black/Yellow) BigBee
Unigo Trailer (Black/Yellow) Stinger
post #6 of 14 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 7:59 pm Thread Starter

Thanks!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, just what I needed. I was wondering how the rod was mounted, and the pictures show it is just pressed into place. I can get the part for just $36 from Lonestar here in Austin, that's cheap enough, but I do appreciate the offers for a freebie.

I love that I can flat-foot the bike, however, the windscreen's perfectly at the horizon when lowered. I was thinking if I put the rod back in and set it to low, that would raise my eyeballs a tad. The windscreen's probably history anyway, I think it's stock and is kinda fugly to look through now. Seems the CeeBaily is getting high marks here, I'll probably spring for one of those, but I'd like to be sure I don't need a -1 height first.

Thanks to reading Craigslist yesterday, I'm out $7500, and I haven't gotten much done at work since! Great forum here by the way...

Thanks again!
Wayne
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4395.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	13485  
post #7 of 14 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 8:29 pm

My seat adjuster was broken, couldn't lock it in high position....
Turned out to be a blessing.....
I added material to the frame below the seat to get the height I wanted and discovered it solved another problem....on long rides, my pants would be up in my crotch so I had to stop and adjust..........
By raising the rear of the seat higher than it was meant to go, it took the front of the seat out of my crotch and solved the problem.....
(and my voice is getting deeper again)

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #8 of 14 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 2:52 am Thread Starter

Turns out I DO have the low seat - no adjuster for me

I checked the numbers on the seat to the online microfiche and mine is an "823" low seat. This explains why the windshield appears so high in my field of view, the seat's lower than stock. Anyone know how much lower than stock this option was for 2000?

Looks like I will have to order a shorter windscreen, and if the ceebaileys #2-2 is the most loved, I might need a -3 or -4. Anybody have a #2-2 with the stock seat around my height (5' 9", 32 inch inseam)?

Thanks,
Wayne
post #9 of 14 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 3:25 am

I have 2004 KLT and the seat adj is missing too . This must be a common think . My feet are on the ground . Thanks Dan
post #10 of 14 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 9:23 am

Hey Wayne, be sure to keep an eye on the South Central forums for local happenings.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #11 of 14 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 10:44 am

Wayne,
Those low seats are in high demand, You may want to propose a trade with some one with a standard seat.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #12 of 14 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 12:28 pm

Wayne, I am your height with a 30 inch inseam, and I had a Cee Bailey #2 -2, and I liked the windshield, but could barely see over it with the seat in the normal low position when the windshield was all the way lowered. I sold that one, and bought a #2, -4, and I love it. I can see over it with no problem. My wife, however, thinks the -4 creates too much wind for her. Probably if I have to replace the -4, it will be with a -3. I think it will work best for us both. If you have the lower seat, you might consider a -4.
post #13 of 14 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 2:45 pm

Need a seat adjuster for my '01

One of the supports broke off at the weld. If someone has one they no longer want or need, I'll buy it from you. Send me a PM.
This request is also listed in the classified section.

FridayBob Chalfant
University Circle, Cleveland, OH
'01 LTC in black, Elvira
'07 LTC in Blue, no name yet
129,000+ miles, 49 states, 9 provinces, Mexico

post #14 of 14 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 7:04 pm

%^[email protected] !!!!!

Just ran out and looked - don't have one either (on a 99). Damn! Now I really miss it, knowing that I'm missing it!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in