Advice wanted - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 3:23 pm Thread Starter

Advice wanted

Hello everybody. My name is Jim and I just bought a 2001 LT. Man that sounded like some of the meetings I go to. Anyway, like I said I just purchased a í01 LT and Iím coming from a Honda ST. Easy on the jeers, the olí ST was very faithful. What Iím looking for is any kind of riding or maintenance advice that you can offer. Iíd like to switch over to ******, but what weight do you recommend? Also, Iím more into doing most of my own maintenance, so what would be a recommendation for a good manual? Since the LT seems a little more top heavy then the ST, Iím wondering about various riding techniques. I probably should have put these requests in more then one thread, but hey, Iím new, right? Iíve got myself registered for an 11 day ride later this month, and any help will be greatly appreciated.
Ride Far, Ride Safe
jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 3:54 pm

Use 20W50 Amsoil. Try E-Bay for manuals.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 4:22 pm

...and come to CCR to learn how to work on it and meet 600 other BMW riders.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok

post #4 of 13 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 4:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allniterider
Hello everybody. My name is Jim and I just bought a 2001 LT. Man that sounded like some of the meetings I go to. Anyway, like I said I just purchased a í01 LT and Iím coming from a Honda ST. Easy on the jeers, the olí ST was very faithful. What Iím looking for is any kind of riding or maintenance advice that you can offer. Iíd like to switch over to ******, but what weight do you recommend? Also, Iím more into doing most of my own maintenance, so what would be a recommendation for a good manual? Since the LT seems a little more top heavy then the ST, Iím wondering about various riding techniques. I probably should have put these requests in more then one thread, but hey, Iím new, right? Iíve got myself registered for an 11 day ride later this month, and

any help will be greatly appreciated.
Ride Far, Ride Safe
jim

what oil has been run in it since new? , stay with it, and you won't have any problems, this from almost 30 year experience as a mechanic

oh shit I just caught that!

Zebco 202?

if your registered for the 11 days of hell?
then you cast a good one
post #5 of 13 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:51 pm

I also transitioned from a 1991 ST1100 (it had the lowest serial number I had found and might have been the first in the US) and enjoyed that motorcycle for 136,000 miles. I was going to sell it and get an ST1300 or FJR1300, but those kept being delayed introductions. In the meantime my wife and I rented a K1200LT in Washington state for a week. We really liked the bike and thought we'd buy a used one and sell it after deciding between an FJ and ST13. Well, both came out and we rode them, but decided we liked the K better and put 137,000 miles on that one. We liked it so much, we bought the more powerful and luxurious 2006.

I've got the Factory K1200LT Repair manual (available first) and the Clymer. I think the Clymer is easier to understand, written better and has more details that we shade tree mechanics need. It is also less expensive. The Factory manual seems to have been written by someone whose English was their second language and for those more familiar with BMW motorcycles.

I've tried BMW motorcycle oil (made by Castrol), Rotella Synthetic Blend, Mobil1 Vtwin motorcycle oil and Amsoil synthetic motorcycle oil. I liked the Amsoil much better than the others for cooler temperatures, smoother shifting with the Amsoil synthetic 75W90 gear lube in the transmission and final drive, a little better gas mileage, and most of all the warranted double the mileage change interval. I don't enjoy wrenching on the bike so anything I can do to lessen the maintenance, the better.

Take the MSF Experienced Rider Course on your bike. You'll get used to it quick. I also felt the K bike was huge when I left the ST. But the size seems to melt away after a while. I had a friend that had an ST and we'd switch. The ST felt like a dinky sport bike. But I'd never go back. But the new Kawasaki Concours? Hmmmm...... I'll probably just get the revamped K1200LT in a few years. I like being comfy and yet I can keep up with my sport bike buddies, except for those that are top notch amateur racers.

Hope this helps.
post #6 of 13 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:59 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Sure, the LT is top-heavy compared to some other bikes, but the weight really melts away at speed. It is an excellent LD bike, comfortable, great gas mileage, and (usually) reliable. Poke around here, read a bunch of threads, and most of your questions will get answered.

But if you're referring to the 11-day ride I'm thinking of, are you sure changing to a new bike at such a late date is a good idea? Unless you bought this 2001 LT, then you'd be way ahead of the game.

I'd put as many miles on it in the next few weeks as you can, to get used to the bike and its quirks. And do a lot of slow-speed work in a large parking lot. Tight u-turns aren't a problem, if you're familiar with the bike and use enough throttle. But I'd sure hate to have to learn that technique on day 8 or 9 with very little sleep . . .

Also, what kind of tires are on the bike? The ME880 is probably the only tire that will get you through all 11 days without changing. You can run Avons or BT020s, but plan on changing the rear at the midway checkpoint.

BTW, I will be at the checkpoint, so say hi if we happen to run across each other.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by meese; Aug 2nd, 2007 at 11:15 pm.
post #7 of 13 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 6:36 am

Quote:
"BMW motorcycle oil (made by Castrol)"
BMW oil is not made by castrol it is made by Spectro

here is also a link to http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-oil/

and a link to - read on about additives

http://www.spectro-oils.com/faqs.htm
post #8 of 13 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 6:46 am

LT riding

Jim, I see why you are going to BMW meetings, buying a German bike while living in Harley country............ .........The LT is a great bike. I bought a used '03 last year after coming off an '05 Venture. It's a lot lighter feeling than the Venture. Once you get used to the ABS brakes, you'll be OK. Personally, I loved the MSF course and also the Jerry Paladino "Ride Like A Pro" CD. I learned a lot from both. Just ride it, you'll get used to it.......

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #9 of 13 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 6:47 am

BMW NA last year told me it was made by Castrol. But sometimes OEM's will list specs and go with the lowest bidder and change suppliers. Where did you get your info and when?
post #10 of 13 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 6:58 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVipond
BMW NA last year told me it was made by Castrol. But sometimes OEM's will list specs and go with the lowest bidder and change suppliers. Where did you get your info and when?
I just had and am having this discussion with my service manager. He is emphatic that it is Castrol.

I am going for my 600 (1000) mile service today. I am carrying 2 QT of Amsoil 75/90 Gear oil with me. Service manager is fine with it. I tried to explain the difference and it was lost on my service manager. However he has no problem with me suppling it.

I will run dino in the motor but like a good synth in the trany and FD. I also asked about the .75 for the trans, and then the rest in the FD. Again he was emphatic and said I NEED 2 quarts to do the service. So be it.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #11 of 13 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 6:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVipond
it is all about the bids for sure, just a couple month's ago I was told this, it is also in the second link (I should add told this by the owner of my dealer), I have ever heard him tell it to others and explain the extra aditives bmw wanted that honda oil (who is also made by specttro) does have in it.

my riders manual on my '07 still says bmw recomends castrol like our '02s did. so I assume this was a recent change (last year sometime perhaps)

oops sorry did it agian

here

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-oil/

BMW motorcycle dealers carry an assortment of regular and synthetic BMW motor oils made for them by Golden Spectro; if you're looking for synthetic oil for any brand of bike, you may find that the BMW oil is cheaper than any other 15W50 synthetic |
post #12 of 13 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 8:28 am
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by allniterider
Hello everybody. My name is Jim and I just bought a 2001 LT. Man that sounded like some of the meetings I go to. Anyway, like I said I just purchased a í01 LT and Iím coming from a Honda ST. Easy on the jeers, the olí ST was very faithful. What Iím looking for is any kind of riding or maintenance advice that you can offer. Iíd like to switch over to ******, but what weight do you recommend? Also, Iím more into doing most of my own maintenance, so what would be a recommendation for a good manual? Since the LT seems a little more top heavy then the ST, Iím wondering about various riding techniques. I probably should have put these requests in more then one thread, but hey, Iím new, right? Iíve got myself registered for an 11 day ride later this month, and any help will be greatly appreciated.
Ride Far, Ride Safe
jim
Hey, Jim. First of all, welcome to the site and congrats on your new ride. You made a great choice, IMHO, and you will find a wealth of good information about the LT here. Nobody's going to jeer about you riding the ST before, almost all of us rode and had a good time on a different bike before we got the LT, and lots of folks have other bikes besides the LT. And don't worry about multiple questions in one thread; it's the answers that may lead to confusion and chaos .

There are some great places on the site to look for the "collective" wisdom of other riders. You might start with the FAQ, but also check out the Hall of Wisdom (HoW) and the Technical link at the top of the page. Lots of folks here do their own maintenance and wrenching, so you are in good company on that account. I think Clymer is the only publisher that has come out with a manual other than the BMW Service manual. You will actually find more useful step-by-step instructions for some procedures right here on the site. I think most folks go with a multiweight oil, dino or synth, 20W50 has a good spread. However, in winter in your neck of the woods you probably will want something like a 10W50. For riding tips, do a search for topics like "riding advice", "slow speed", that sort of thing, and you will find tons of threads about riding advice. There is also some good stuff in the FAQ. The tips that were most important to me when I first got the LT were: 1) make sure the front wheel is dead straight ahead, your head is up, and your eyes are on the horizon when you come to a stop; 2) if you forget #1, don't worry, there usually is someone around who will help you pick up the bike; 3) there are threads and a video that will show you how to pick up the bike by yourself. Enjoy the ride, and ride safe!

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #13 of 13 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 4:15 pm Thread Starter

Some great information. I'm definitely going to have to spend a lot of time searching through BMWLT.
TMGS, from what I've gathered, all previous oil changes were done by the dealer. I'm signed up for a defensive driving class this weekend.
Yes Ken, I'll be riding THAT LT. If you're familiar with the bike please say hi, cause I'm sure my mind will be somewhere else.
Rattler50, I should mention, I still own a '97 WideGlide with 120K, that's only required a cam in 10 years of not too kind riding. Having a Harley in Wisc. is as mandatory as getting cheese with your apple pie. Jerrys' DVD is a valuable tool that always teaches me something new.
As far as synthetics, I wonder about a brand that's made by the lowest bidder. From what I've gathered Amsoil, only makes synthetics.
Somewhere it was mentioned to lean the bike to the right, for 10-15 seconds after shutting it off. This really helps eliminate the embarrassing cloud upon start-up. Thanks everybody for everything, you've made me feel very welcome.
Ride far, ride safe
jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in