ABS lights flashing side by side - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:00 am Thread Starter
jac

ABS lights flashing side by side

after a up hill stop sign, the ABS start to flash side by side. turn OFF/ON engine by key, the problem still there.
back home check the break fluid level, front one slightly blow the minimum. top up with DOT4, start engine the problem still there.
restart engine by kill switch and key when moving, the problem still there. test the battery = 12.87V (17 months old BMW battery), eventhough, put a brand new PC680MJ battery, the problem still there.

is this code have to be reset by dealer? any idea? please help.

Jack Z
DeMarest, New Jersey

1999 BMW K1200LTC
1981 Kawasaki GTO125
1979 Suzuki A100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:59 am

It will have to be reset by the dealer. Fluid level should not matter in your year bike.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:26 pm

ABS reset

I had the same problem with my 2000LT a short time ago. Top off both brake reseviors, unhook the battery for over a half an hour and yes, take it to the dealer to be re-set. I explained the issue to the dealer in my area (A&S powersports in Roseburg) and they reset it for me at no cost. I hope you have the same luck, it is a little un-nerving to have it happen as the replacement cost is over $1800.00. Good Luck

post #4 of 16 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 1:31 pm

Your '99 only has one rear reservoir.

Before going to the dealer, clean and check the gap on your ABS Sensors. Mine did what your's is doing and stopped after I check the gap and shimmed to correcto.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
post #5 of 16 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:33 pm Thread Starter
jac

it's possible caused by break lights ? because there are three running lights but only left and right lights ON when breaking. is this OK?

Jack Z
DeMarest, New Jersey

1999 BMW K1200LTC
1981 Kawasaki GTO125
1979 Suzuki A100
post #6 of 16 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 2:40 pm

The "99's brake lights aren't monitored, so that isn't it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 16 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac
it's possible caused by break lights ? because there are three running lights but only left and right lights ON when breaking. is this OK?
My 01 bike was like that, and I added a jumper wire to make it a brake/running light. I think your problem is going to be in the sensors. Check those gaps and let us know if that fixes it.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #8 of 16 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:45 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac
That is normal operation Jack. Usually on the early ABS II the only two things that cause a fault is the sensors (running the rear tire in the air after the drive off check) or the brain itself. If the sensors are OK then often a full flush of fluid and a rest by the dealer will clear the fault.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 16 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 9:08 am Thread Starter
jac

No luck, the cord shows hydraulic assembly need to be exchanged which raises my major concerns to the quality of BMW bike. Such high end motorcycle run only 25,000 miles then will spend $x,xxx to replace the main parts. Itís very unhappy ending.

Jack Z
DeMarest, New Jersey

1999 BMW K1200LTC
1981 Kawasaki GTO125
1979 Suzuki A100
post #10 of 16 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 9:16 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

By now a 99 model should have had three full brake fluid flushes performed regardless of mileage. That is (or lack of that ) what usually takes out the unit.

I would have them do a full flush then attempt a reset. many have recovered with this technique.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 16 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 9:26 am

ABS reset

I had the same problem with my 2000LT. When I took it to the dealer, it showed a Hydo fault, but when I flushed the system, front and back and then had them reset it again. The fault cleared. Dealer said any small particle can cause the fault. I would try the full flush (if you haven't already) before forking over major $ for the ABS II unit. Beemerboneyard has them used from time to time, but I haven't seen one there in months. Just my .02. Good Luck.
post #12 of 16 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 10:56 am Thread Starter
jac

I will flush break fluid (this is my first time). I found there is only one bleeder in front break on the left. But right side there is a big screw in the position for bleeder, what is that for? Do I have to do some thing when flushing the front break fluid?

Please help.

Jack Z
DeMarest, New Jersey

1999 BMW K1200LTC
1981 Kawasaki GTO125
1979 Suzuki A100
post #13 of 16 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 12:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac
I will flush break fluid (this is my first time). I found there is only one bleeder in front break on the left. But right side there is a big screw in the position for bleeder, what is that for? Do I have to do some thing when flushing the front break fluid? Please help.
That is the factory fill fitting. You will need to carefully remove it and replace it with a 10x1 (?) bleeder fitting or a speed bleeder fitting. You will also find one of those big screws at the clutch bleed fitting. **Please note that I said "carefully" remove the fitting. The best thing to do is heat it with a hair blower so that it will easily remove. This will loosen the locktite Since you have a 99LT, you can let gravity to bleed the system, just open the bleed fitting and make sure it does not run out of fluid.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #14 of 16 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 12:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac
I will flush break fluid (this is my first time). I found there is only one bleeder in front break on the left. But right side there is a big screw in the position for bleeder, what is that for? Do I have to do some thing when flushing the front break fluid?

Please help.
As Mike said, you can remove that fitting, but some have had a devil of a time doing it. An easier way is to buy a one speed bleeder, SB1010S, I believe, and use the OE bleeder in the big fitting. Remove the little Allen head cap. The fitting has a ball check valve, and the flat tip of the OE bleeder will push it in. You would screw it all the way in, then back it out a quarter turn to bleed. Remove it when finished, and replace the little cap. The same procedure will work on the clutch fitting. Have fun!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #15 of 16 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 9:59 am Thread Starter
jac

I am ready to replace the hydro pump module. I brought a used one for the same year of model with 35K mile. Any tips for installation? Do I have to fill up with DOT4 to the pump before to hook up those pipes from F/R breaks? Thanks

Jack Z
DeMarest, New Jersey

1999 BMW K1200LTC
1981 Kawasaki GTO125
1979 Suzuki A100
post #16 of 16 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 4:03 pm

I had the same problem with my 2000 LT. Did a brake flush and put in a new battery, had the dealer reset the default and now it is working. So far about 3500 miles since that was done. I am gonna keep my fingers crossed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in