Gear Oil Flush - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 5:36 am Thread Starter

Gear Oil Flush

Hello All,

My son and I have started to embark on our first 12K type service on our own armed with the BMW Repair Manual,etc. So far, we have replaced the final drive oil, plugs, gear oil, engine oil and filter.

I don't know about anyone else, but dropping the entire exhaust, and O2 sensor to get to the drain and fill on the tranny seems absolutely crazy even though we just finished doing it.

Does anyone know how to do the gear oil flush without dropping the exhaust? One of the local dealers elluded to a way but wasn't specific.

Also, any shortcuts to replace the air and gas filters?

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 6:13 am

Hi Bob,

You may have done things the hard way, but you now know more than I about dropping the exhaust and O2 sensor!

What year is your bike? Do you have a hydraulic center stand on the bike? Do you have the BMW brand shop manual, Clymer or other?

Basically, you just have to remove the lower fairing, skid plate and the exhaust bracket attached to the centerstand. The exhaust system stays on the bike. You've learned the advantage of using Amsoil synthetic 75W90 Severe Gear Lube in the transmission and final drive. You can extend these lube changes to 24,000 miles and maintain your factory warranty, plus get a free parts and labor warranty should the fluid ever fail. That served me well on my 137,000 mile 2000 K1200LT and will on my 2006. And I get to go through this aggravation half as often.
post #3 of 15 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 6:27 am

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

I've got an 03 and have never needed to remove the exhaust system. And I don't think the guys with the hydraulic center stand need to either. On mine I remove a small exhaust hanger because it's mounting plate is in the way of the transmission drain. The mount attaches with two bolts into the bottom of the engine/skid plate and once it is removed I have an open path the the drain plug. Take another look at the manual you are using and see if maybe you have added a couple of steps that weren't needed.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE

post #4 of 15 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 6:27 am Thread Starter

It is an '03 LTC .. 23.8K.. Using the BMW Shop manual. So, 24K.. Hmmm.. Last stuff was BMW synthetic at 12K. When we drained the final drive, the fluid looked almost new. Barely saw any metal at all. I really had to search for it. The gear oil in the tranny was alot darker.

Funny story.. My wife saw a small gatoraid bottle day before yesterday sitting in the garage. She thought it was red gatorade. Glad she didn't try to drink it.... Arghh.... She poured it down the sink then realized that it was too thick to be gatorade. I heard about it for sure !!!

Hmm.. Manual says "Remove Exhaust system".. Pretty clear to me.. Here is a direct quote:

Place the motorcycle on its centre stand so that
it is level.
– Remove engine spoiler.
a .................................................. ..See Group 46
• Remove the front right footrest.
• Remove the exhaust bracket on the centre
stand mounting bracket.
a .................................................. .See Group 18,
Removing exhaust system

Last edited by rglassma; Aug 2nd, 2007 at 6:41 am.
post #5 of 15 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 6:55 am

Transmission oil

I too have an 03LTC and I do not remove the engine spoiler or the exhaust system, just the footrest and the exhaust bracket, I fashion a scrap piece of cardboard into a trough and insert it up under the drain plug, remove the plug, drain and refill altogether it takes less than 30 minutes.
post #6 of 15 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 7:01 am

Yeah, it probably should just say remove exhaust bracket. It just takes removing the 3 bolts on page 18.5 and then the bolt a few inches away on the exhaust system to remove the hangar. Poor instructions and design.

I think the manual is pretty accurate for the air filter replacement. I suggest sticking with the BMW air filter and not using a K&N. My mechanic said the K&N was letting fine dust in and sandblasting my engine, and I've read where a lot of people feel the K&N does not remove 5 micron and smaller particles. Plan on spending the whole day taking all the plastic off. You might as well plan on checking valve clearances and changing spark plugs at the same time.

I didn't replace the fuel filter till 100,000 miles. It didn't seem to need it, but felt it was time to do it, especially with all the gas I've put in it in Mexico. The manual says you need a special tool to unscrew the filter/fuel pump from the tank, but I think I just used some big pliers and/or bumped it with a hammer and block to get it loose.

Be sure to check out the Hall of Wisdom here for some maintenance tips.
post #7 of 15 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 8:10 am

Hi, Bob - I've never removed the exhaust system in order to do a fluid change on the tranny, nor has anyone done it during our many tech sessions. I think what the instructions are saying is - refer to Group 18 to see how to remove the exhaust hanger bracket.

Least you've done it once - you won't need to do it next time!! It's definitely a bear. BTW - did you replace the large copper-alloy crush rings at the exhaust flanges, or just re-use the old? I don't know what the manual sez about that, butt if you did what it said, then you should be golden.

Good wrenching, Bob. Take care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglassma
It is an '03 LTC .. 23.8K.. Using the BMW Shop manual. So, 24K.. Hmmm.. Last stuff was BMW synthetic at 12K. When we drained the final drive, the fluid looked almost new. Barely saw any metal at all. I really had to search for it. The gear oil in the tranny was alot darker.

Funny story.. My wife saw a small gatoraid bottle day before yesterday sitting in the garage. She thought it was red gatorade. Glad she didn't try to drink it.... Arghh.... She poured it down the sink then realized that it was too thick to be gatorade. I heard about it for sure !!!

Hmm.. Manual says "Remove Exhaust system".. Pretty clear to me.. Here is a direct quote:

it is level.
– Remove engine spoiler.
stand mounting bracket.
Removing exhaust system
post #8 of 15 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 8:10 am

I have a 2000, and I don't take my exhaust off to do the Transmission. In fact, it is fairly easy in comparison to other maintence tasks on the LT. You might want to think about getting the Paul Sayegh (I think I spelled that right) CD's and view them. He does most of the routine maintence there--except the bike he is using in the video is a pre 05 so it doesn't have the hydraulic center stand.
post #9 of 15 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 9:01 am
was

Quote:
Does anyone know how to do the gear oil flush without dropping the exhaust? One of the local dealers elluded to a way but wasn't specific.

Also, any shortcuts to replace the air and gas filters?
If you had that conversation with the dealer before you did the tranny work, he should have been more helpful, IMHO.

I'm afraid there are no shortcuts to the air and gas filter replacements. I was extremely intimidated by the prospect of removing that amount of tupperware, removing the stingray, pulling the gas tank, etc., but actually I found that each step was fairly simple when broken down into a lot of little steps. There are good suppliments to the manual on this site for tupperware removal and maybe gas tank R&R. Check the HoW and the technical papers. Before you start pulling the gas tank, take a look at how your gas lines are connected on the right side below the tank. If they are the OEM plastic quick disconnects (not sure if BMW put these on '03 bikes) you may want to read up on metal quick disconnects as possible replacements for the plastic ones, and you may want to get some spare O-rings for the QDs. It is not unknown for the plastic ones to break, and it is quite common for O-rings to get pinched or cut on both the plastic and the metal ones.

Good luck with your wrenching.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #10 of 15 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:02 am

Talking 3 words

Paul Sayegh Video Shows you everything.

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448
post #11 of 15 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:25 am

Thumbs up Clymer Fan

Hi,

Me, I use the Clymer repair manual. It's real clear in it's instructions.

You did more than you needed to , but no harm done. Just your time.

Things go back together pretty easy. I just line things up as I take them off so I know what goes back on next. I do pay special attention to torque values. Especially the small screws/bolts.

Glad to hear you're wrenching. I think it makes one appreciate the bike more!!!! Just my .02 worth.

Happy wrenching and ride safe!

Vern

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #12 of 15 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 3:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offwego
Paul Sayegh Video Shows you everything.
I agree. This video has been a tremendous help to me. Highly recommended. dwillie.
post #13 of 15 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 7:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernvernvern
Hi,

Me, I use the Clymer repair manual. It's real clear in it's instructions.

You did more than you needed to , but no harm done. Just your time.

Things go back together pretty easy. I just line things up as I take them off so I know what goes back on next. I do pay special attention to torque values. Especially the small screws/bolts.

Glad to hear you're wrenching. I think it makes one appreciate the bike more!!!! Just my .02 worth.

Happy wrenching and ride safe!

Vern
No question about apreciating the bike. I love the bike. But, I HATE the maintenance on it.. I am not real good with this stuff.
post #14 of 15 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 7:31 pm

Are you sure of the intructions?

Maybe the manual means refer to the section on removing the exhaust system for instructions on removing the exhaust bracket. Lots of manuals do this, i.e. refer you to another section for a subroutine so they don't have to reprint it.
I betcha if you read it again, you can take it so it doesn't really mean to remove the whole system, just the bracket. Cuz, if your bike is like my 2000 you only need to remove the bracket.

Quote:

it is level.
– Remove engine spoiler.
stand mounting bracket.
Removing exhaust system
post #15 of 15 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 6:53 am

Changing tranny fluid

I took my tranny out of the bike and changed fluid in it. Of course, I was doing a clutch job at the time. I haven't tried it in the bike yet but I soon will..............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in