Engine output shaft End Play?, and other ?'s - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 1:05 pm Thread Starter
sgt

Engine output shaft End Play?, and other ?'s

I am replacing rear engine seal, is there a run out spec for the rear engine shaft, if so, what is the measurements, if so how is it adjusted? I also noticed that there is about a 1/4 turn on trans input shaft before it is felt on output shaft with tranny in gear, is this appropriate or not, BMW manual I have doesn't give a lot of info, is there another manual offered? I say "Thank You" for any and all help.......Sgt, 2000 K1200LTC, 90,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 1:43 pm

Me, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt
I am replacing rear engine seal, is there a run out spec for the rear engine shaft, if so, what is the measurements, if so how is it adjusted? I also noticed that there is about a 1/4 turn on trans input shaft before it is felt on output shaft with tranny in gear, is this appropriate or not, BMW manual I have doesn't give a lot of info, is there another manual offered? I say "Thank You" for any and all help.......Sgt, 2000 K1200LTC, 90,000 miles
I'm also replacing my rear engine seal this weekend - sounds like you're a few steps ahead of me (I'm still riding this week). I'll be very interested in how your job turns out.

BTW, are you using the BMW clutch housing bar or did you make your own? Any prints or plans for homemade custom tools? (already have the 30mm socket).

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
post #3 of 6 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 4:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt
Sgt I noticed the play this past winter when replacing my RMS. I moved on and finisged the job don't worry .

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA

post #4 of 6 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 7:33 pm Thread Starter
sgt

Play

Which play are you speaking of: play in engine output shaft, or rotating play on tranny input shat to felt output shaft?

Terry Simpson
Sgt
post #5 of 6 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 10:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt
Terry,

Would be nice if some more folks chimed in on this one. FWIW, my engine shaft had lots of radial play in it as well - I kinda expected it to be rock solid, yet you can deflect it pretty easily.

WOW, what a PITA to get the main seal out!!! I didn't have the official seal puller, so I cobbled together a variety of "tools" made from bent nails, vise grips, even pushed a 2" long steel dowel thru the end of a small diameter pipe in a "T" shape, got the dowel into the seal and whacked a vise grip clamped on the pipe. All the above simply managed to chew the seal into oblivion, until I finally got a vise grip clamped directly on a piece of the seal itself, and was able to pull it out that way.

I hope the tranny seals will be easier.

Haven't looked at the tranny in/out play yet.

Dave

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
post #6 of 6 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 8:02 am

"I hope the tranny seals will be easier."

Dave
I found removing the tranny seal (clutch side) to be more difficult. Puncturing the seal with an awl, ala the manual, just pushed the seal in farther. I finally got it out by breaking the metal band built into the seal, but it wasn't easy and I risked scoring the aluminum. Thankfully it looks ok.

If I were doing it again, I would mark the center of the seal ring with a tap from a sharp point, drill a 1/16" hole through the seal's metal support, expand it with a 7/64" drill, then use the smallest screw extractor to grab the seal. You may need two grab holes at 180, but I don't think so.

I tried this method on the old seal in the vice, and it extractor gets a good hold. Be sure to hit the center of the seal wall or the drill will drift into the rubber only part of the seal.

I decided not to replace the tranny output side, even though I bought the part. It's not leaking and I can replace that one later, if necessary, without removing the transmission.

Good luck
Richard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in