Slips out of 5th. gear! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 11:14 am Thread Starter

Slips out of 5th. gear!

Anyone have or have had this problem? Driving along minding my own bizz and my trans slips out of 5th. gear. Have also experienced not wanting to up shift to 3rd. or down shift to 2nd. This primarily occurs only after riding 60-100 miles, short rides no prob... Wazz-up-wit-dat????

And yes I have replaced all my shift linkage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 11:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_gonz
Anyone have or have had this problem? Driving along minding my own bizz and my trans slips out of 5th. gear. Have also experienced not wanting to up shift to 3rd. or down shift to 2nd. This primarily occurs only after riding 60-100 miles, short rides no prob... Wazz-up-wit-dat????

Rene, I had that problem and also lost fifth gear altogether. I was February of this year. At my 24K the Texician Crew pulled out my linkage and lubed it up real well. Also pulled out a tiny piece of dirt out of one of the ball sockets. Put it all back in and no problems.
I was scared that it was going to be a tranny problem. When was your linkage put back in?

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #3 of 10 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 11:45 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
When was your linkage put back in?
I just did it about a week ago. I went with a total replacement rods, cups, dust covers, balls and clips all BMW OEM parts.

post #4 of 10 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 12:26 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
I just did it about a week ago. I went with a total replacement rods, cups, dust covers, balls and clips all BMW OEM parts.
Did you grease the snot outa the linkage/ball joints? I was having same problem but stopped after a good greasing.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 10 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 12:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Did you grease the snot outa the linkage/ball joints? I was having same problem but stopped after a good greasing.
Not only did I grease everything up, I used lithium grease that I use on my boat trailer bearing, heck I even thew some snot in just for good measure!!
post #6 of 10 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 2:08 pm

Quote:

I have only experienced shifting problems once. My fix was to lube and then adjust the linkage twice. That allowed me to complete every shift since. I think that heat may be causing the shift linkage to change just enough to not make linkage travel incomplete and short the mechanical travel necessary to complete the shift.

If you were popping just out of a gear, I probably would not suggest that you do the linkage adjustment but seeing that you miss shifts...

I would get the bike hot enough so it fails and then adjust the linkage so it shifts properly every time. Fix the obvious.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #7 of 10 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 2:21 pm
was

I had a similar problem after replacing some of the parts in my linkage. (I could not take the bike out on the road because the rear drive and driveshaft were off at the time, so I did not experience the bike jumping out of gear.) Shifting from neutral to first was erratic, shifting from first to second was difficult, shifting from second to third or above simply did not happen. Second to first was no problem, but I could not find neutral out of second no matter how gently I moved the shift lever. Turned out that I needed to adjust the length of my short rod by loosening the lock nut and turning the cup. In my case I needed to lengthen the rod by about 2 full turns. Unfortunately, I started out by shortening the rod, so I went through about a dozen trial-and-error adjustments, which was a real PITA. Tip: you do NOT need to put the little pin in the cup for every trial. Took me awhile to realize that. I don't understand the mechanics of the system, but the final full turn was like magic, suddenly I had a tranny that worked smoothly when running through the gears up or down. Good luck.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #8 of 10 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 9:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
In my case I needed to lengthen the rod by about 2 full turns. Unfortunately, I started out by shortening the rod, so I went through about a dozen trial-and-error adjustments, which was a real PITA.

Well to avoid the PITA part of the work anyone have a better way to go about fine tunning the shift linkage? I sure as heck know BMW isn't doing the adjustment via trial-and-error. There should be some specs. on length from point to point, be it a center to center measurement from the center of the ball cups or from the locking nut face at the cups to the other end of the rod. At least something to get you into the ball park as a starting point and or check.....
post #9 of 10 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 10:55 am

First of all...check the distance between the two lock nuts on the linkage rod. Should be 36mm (as I recall) when tightened. If it isn't you'll have a hard time adjusting the rod correctly. If that gap is correct, I know of no other way to adjust except trial and error, but there's a fair amount of tolerance that's allowable.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #10 of 10 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 8:55 pm

Rene, what's the latest? Did you get it to work?

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in