I want a bitchin' LT stereo. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 8:09 pm Thread Starter

Cool I want a bitchin' LT stereo.

Pete's recent post got me to thinking, and I know we've got the onboard juice to do it. I'm tired of wearing in-ear custom molded speakers - they STILL hurt and don't sound all that great.

I'm gonna need some 5.25 inch quality $$ poly speakers - probably $100 EACH with metal tweeters (not silk), an extra amp to feed them and of course a small subwoofer ingeniously hid somewhere that won't take up existing storage space. (between the passenger seat and top case?) Upgraded wiring will be a neccessary evil.

Someone has done this... where?

I PROMISE I won't play any rap! More into global groove.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jul 31st, 2007 at 9:39 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 8:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
and of course a small subwoofer ingeniously hid somewhere

In the seat?

sorry, couldn't resist

Duane

Check the obvious first!
01 LT Champagne "The Starship"
73 Z1 Kawi
and 7 long gone
post #3 of 41 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 9:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman
In the seat?

sorry, couldn't resist
HMMMMmmmmm.

Now THAT would be interesting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

post #4 of 41 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 9:10 pm

Could put a tube in place of the canistor?
post #5 of 41 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 9:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_E
Could put a tube in place of the canistor?
Great idea - my canister is LONG gone! (but I was kinda thinking that's where the extra amp would go...)

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #6 of 41 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 9:16 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

It has been done before. Although the sub-woofer was in the top box.

Can't remember the name of the guy.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #7 of 41 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 9:21 pm

iPod

When my ears got tired of stretching to listen to the music and conservative talk radio. I bought an iPod and Shure - E2c Sound Isolating Earphones.
Life is now good.

In-ear earphones are key especially if you wear a half helmet. Throw the foam earphones that come with the ipod away or give to your dog.
In-ear is key.

For earphone info: Has two year warrantee!
http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/P...pa_E2c_content

Bose also carries similar In-ear earphones for the same bucks.

Versatility: You can take the iPod with you when you go running. It's a lot easier than strapping the LT to your back to go run.

You can also get the optional iPod FM receiver when you want to listen to conservative talk radio. Life is now great.
post #8 of 41 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 9:29 pm

Ari could whip this out in no time, and then install another bunch of switches with an equalizer and other audio controls.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #9 of 41 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 9:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneShot
When my ears got tired of stretching to listen to the music and conservative talk radio. I bought an iPod and Shure - E2c Sound Isolating Earphones.
Life is now good.

In-ear earphones are key especially if you wear a half helmet. Throw the foam earphones that come with the ipod away or give to your dog.
In-ear is key.

For earphone info: Has two year warrantee!
http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/P...pa_E2c_content

Bose also carries similar In-ear earphones for the same bucks.

Versatility: You can take the iPod with you when you go running. It's a lot easier than strapping the LT to your back to go run.

You can also get the optional iPod FM receiver when you want to listen to conservative talk radio. Life is now great.
Oh yeah - the I-pod is the heart of my system.

I popped for some $175.00 EAR brand custom in - ear speakers a few years ago at CCR. Never could get any performance out of them and they hurt like hell right from the beginning. What a waste of money - they were just too hard, then clamping the helmet on made them excrutiatingly painful.

I finally molded my own silicone plugs from an inexpensive kit www.earplugsthatfit.com that was a huge improvement in comfort - but the sound still did not cut it. I think the styrofoam in my helmet is absorbing 90% of the sound... especially the base.

Sounds like you've found some good plugs - but my thinking is kinda along horsepower lines - there is no replacement for displacement!

I'll pass on the conservative talk radio, thanks. I'm more of an Air America/Slate kinda' guy.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #10 of 41 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 9:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Ari could whip this out in no time, and then install another bunch of switches with an equalizer and other audio controls.
Yeah Howard - he should be gettin' up in a few hours!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #11 of 41 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 9:52 pm

hey Ron...

my $40 a pair speakers, including shipping, have "swiveling titanium-coated PEI balanced dome tweeters" whatever the hell that means...

if you want, you can get a two-way amp that would be about 2" by 4" by 8" and crank as much as 400 watts (if you're only gonna' have two speakers, you only need two outputs) for under $80, that would fit in the deadspace under the passenger seat

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #12 of 41 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 10:01 pm

Thumbs up

The shure earphones come with around 4 different styles of inserts and three sizes for each style of insert to get the right fit. The in-ear types are more flush with your head and should not touch the inside of the helmet. But we are all made differently.

IMHO, the in-ear type earphones bring the music to your ears, where the bike speakers have to send the sound through torrents of wind, other vehicle noises, and the DOT helmet. Ya maybe they lack a little, but they reduce the wind noises in your helmet very well.

I also like the ability to download audio books from iTunes and listen to them while riding. In my case I listen to non-fiction, so when I reach my destinations, I'm a little more smarter than when I left.
Knowledge is P O W E R
post #13 of 41 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 10:46 pm

I have a set of custom moulded ear plug from a guy named Arizona Al and I love them. The cut most all of the wind noise and motor. I use them in different ways, either pluged into the Autocom or just plug them into the Ipod and use the remote. I don't care what quality of speakers you get or how big of an amp at 80 mph you will have to turn it up so loud that the combination of the wind, engine noise and the loud music your ears are going to killing you at the end of a day. One of the things I like about Al's design is that the ear moulds uses air tubes connected to a transducer/speaker so you don't ever rip the wires out of the ear moulds and they produce nice base which I could never get out of the helmet speakers. It took a while to get use to them and yes they one of them hurt for a while. If you put a drop of olive oil on your finger and rub it in your ear before you screw the moulds in it makes a huge difference in the comfort. I have ridden as much as 900 miles in a day with them in and they are not any difference than having a helmet on. One thing I forgot is that the telephone sounds great though them. But if you need a space for an amp there is room above the radio.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #14 of 41 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 1:12 am
Old Dawg

Raffy is correct about the guy on the old site that had a very cool stereo upgrade on his LT. He put a sub and an amp in the top box. He got some crap from a few members here about it (not to mention the fact his wife was pretty hot and had an adult website that a few folks weren't so nice about) so he sold his toy and went back to a Harley. I thought the guy was pretty cool

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #15 of 41 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 2:25 am

Garage
Quote:
I'm gonna need some 5.25 inch quality $$ poly speakers - probably $100 EACH with metal tweeters (not silk), an extra amp to feed them and of course a small subwoofer ingeniously hid somewhere that won't take up existing storage space. (between the passenger seat and top case?) Upgraded wiring will be a necessary evil.
I'm subscribing to this thread because I'm very interested in how this goes. I'm frustrated with the anemic sound of the stock speakers and lack of bass response. If you put any bass in at all on the whopping two-band (bass/treble) "EQ" then it distorts at highway speed. I'm sure part of that is due to the fact that I drive around the 100mph mark (what's the point in going slow on the German Autobahn system?) But is it too much to ask for a decent sounding audio system?

Plus, I'd NEVER wear in-ear plugs simply as a safety issue. They block all ambient noise which makes for better music listening. However you also won't hear that car horn or police siren.

Heracleitus

'12 Victory Cross Country Vivian Vader
'07 LT
die Blau Frau SOLD!
MBW-MOA Member #140221
post #16 of 41 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 3:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heracleitus
Plus, I'd NEVER wear in-ear plugs simply as a safety issue. They block all ambient noise which makes for better music listening. However you also won't hear that car horn or police siren.
I just got an LT and haven't got all the audio hooked up yet.

I can tell you from 2 years of experience on a ZX-12R - I've tried all kinds of in ear headphones.

THERE'S NO SAFETY PROBLEM!!!! I can hear everything important, no matter how loud the music is cranked. I find I ride better as they eliminate the fatigue of wind and car noise (and TRUCK noise), and I concentrate much better. As far as which ear buds go, it makes a big difference to get the right ones.

My faves are Etymotic ER-4P. They sound like the $275 I paid for them but they don't fit well under the helmet so they are uncomfortable. Now I see they can be had for $175. And I thought they were worth it at the price I paid.

The little Sony $50 ear buds suck. No matter how loud I crank it, these are barely audible at 65MPH.

I heard about Senheiser CX-300 ear buds. Tiny, so they are flush with your ears, and the sound is incredible. About $50.

Been though about 7 pairs of ear buds, and the Senheisers do it all.

I never tried the Shures because they look bigger than the Etymotic.

Your mileage may vary.

Back to the original thread: I'd love to kick up the LT stereo a few notches. Let us know what you do.

mike
post #17 of 41 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 5:04 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbiker
THERE'S NO SAFETY PROBLEM!!!!
Several state governments would disagree with you. Two quick examples: California, Florida

Heracleitus

'07 LT
die Blau Frau SOLD!
MBW-MOA Member #140221
post #18 of 41 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 5:39 am

quality audio

IMO
Finding comfortable in the ear speakers is the way to go. Having more than one set of ear speakers or changable foam/rubber ear inserts on a set of ear buds allows a change when one set becomes annoying.

I had a set made by what's her name (plugUp.com) at CCR last year. They were very comfortable, unfortunately they developed a short in the wiring. I'll get another set of custom made when I get a chance; they were so comfortable I'd forget I had them in. I also have a set of universal ear buds (about $120 IIRC, AeroStitch Rider Wearhouse catalog, I think they are Etymotic, but not the most expensive ones. I consider the sound quality to be very good) which are quite comfortable but I have experimented with diffent adaptors on them to find a couple I really like. On long rides I may switch from one adaptor to another if my ears become annoyed; keep 'em in my tank bag.

In spite of state laws against ear speakers, there really is no safety issue. They reduce wind noise and you can still hear traffic, horns, sirens, etc. The amount of ambient noise reduction does vary from one type of ear speaker to another; there is a difference in ambient nosie reduction when I switch from one ear adaptor to another with my univeral ear buds. And if one argues that any reduction in ability to hear ambient sounds is dangerous, then blasting the bike's speaker system is dangerous too. These laws restricting headphones and earspeakers while driving are well intentioned, but you think the guy blasting his conventional speaker system doesn't have comparable reduction in ability to hear? I would argue that in the ear speakers are safer than conventional speakers running loud enough to hear them well above ambient noise.

On upgraded bike speaker systems: Costly. Blasting the neighborhood with your cool sounds is right up there with loud pipes IMO, inconsiderate and not cool. No matter how high the fidelity and power of the system you're competing with wind noise; unless you're gonna just listen to this getto blaster while it parked.
post #19 of 41 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 5:55 am

Want a Bitchin' Stereo??

Marry a sister and her twin! (Sorry, couldn't resist that one!)

Best of luck.
Curt

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #20 of 41 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 6:41 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatson
I have a set of custom moulded ear plug from a guy named Arizona Al and I love them. The cut most all of the wind noise and motor. I use them in different ways, either pluged into the Autocom or just plug them into the Ipod and use the remote. I don't care what quality of speakers you get or how big of an amp at 80 mph you will have to turn it up so loud that the combination of the wind, engine noise and the loud music your ears are going to killing you at the end of a day. One of the things I like about Al's design is that the ear moulds uses air tubes connected to a transducer/speaker so you don't ever rip the wires out of the ear moulds and they produce nice base which I could never get out of the helmet speakers. It took a while to get use to them and yes they one of them hurt for a while. If you put a drop of olive oil on your finger and rub it in your ear before you screw the moulds in it makes a huge difference in the comfort. I have ridden as much as 900 miles in a day with them in and they are not any difference than having a helmet on. One thing I forgot is that the telephone sounds great though them. But if you need a space for an amp there is room above the radio.
That "little dab will do ya'" is a great idea Doug... never tried that. Virgin or extra virgin? (think I might give some glycerin a try)

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #21 of 41 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 6:55 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
IMO
Finding comfortable in the ear speakers is the way to go. Having more than one set of ear speakers or changable foam/rubber ear inserts on a set of ear buds allows a change when one set becomes annoying.

I had a set made by what's her name (plugUp.com) at CCR last year. They were very comfortable, unfortunately they developed a short in the wiring. I'll get another set of custom made when I get a chance; they were so comfortable I'd forget I had them in. I also have a set of universal ear buds (about $120 IIRC, AeroStitch Rider Wearhouse catalog, I think they are Etymotic, but not the most expensive ones. I consider the sound quality to be very good) which are quite comfortable but I have experimented with diffent adaptors on them to find a couple I really like. On long rides I may switch from one adaptor to another if my ears become annoyed; keep 'em in my tank bag.

In spite of state laws against ear speakers, there really is no safety issue. They reduce wind noise and you can still hear traffic, horns, sirens, etc. The amount of ambient noise reduction does vary from one type of ear speaker to another; there is a difference in ambient nosie reduction when I switch from one ear adaptor to another with my univeral ear buds. And if one argues that any reduction in ability to hear ambient sounds is dangerous, then blasting the bike's speaker system is dangerous too. These laws restricting headphones and earspeakers while driving are well intentioned, but you think the guy blasting his conventional speaker system doesn't have comparable reduction in ability to hear? I would argue that in the ear speakers are safer than conventional speakers running loud enough to hear them well above ambient noise.

On upgraded bike speaker systems: Costly. Blasting the neighborhood with your cool sounds is right up there with loud pipes IMO, inconsiderate and not cool. No matter how high the fidelity and power of the system you're competing with wind noise; unless you're gonna just listen to this getto blaster while it parked.
Actually I never listen to music except while cruising in the country or on the superslab.

I find it way too distracting since I like to hear the traffic around me. Even driving around Tucson at 105F in the Mercedes with the AC on I have the windows cracked a bit so I can sense what's going on around me - it's a pilot thang.

I agree ghetto blasters and loud pipes suck. I'm after clarity, not volume.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #22 of 41 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 7:10 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacolt
Marry a sister and her twin! (Sorry, couldn't resist that one!)

Best of luck.
Curt
You, You, I like the way think. I'll be keeping my eye on you.

Name the movie.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #23 of 41 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 7:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman
In the seat?
Not as daft as your think, my wifes MX 5 has speakers in the seats. One in the samll of your back where you can feal the bass beat, and one or two in the head rests. so with the top down, and the other 4 speakers in the car kicking out the sounds you can hear your music great.

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #24 of 41 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 9:42 am

Ron,

I went thru the same scenario you did....finding comfortable earplugs to use with my IPod. I bought a set of Ultimate Ears 5eb's, but found they were too big to fit under the helmet. Then it was off to the Etymotic ER-6i's which fit perfectly under my helmet but were uncomfortable due to their crappy in-ear silicone bud. What I did was get a set of Moldex Rocket earplugs (you get 3 pair for 6 bux) pulled out the green filter, clipped the end off and superglued em to the Etymotics.....RELIEF! I have ridden with this setup for about 2 years....I have yet to feel uncomfortable with em in my ears, plus I feel refreshed after every ride as they are snug enough to reduce noise fatigue.
Ron, its a cheap experiment, but I suspect youll love it.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #25 of 41 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 9:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
You, You, I like the way think. I'll be keeping my eye on you.

Name the movie.

Back to School......loved that movie. Sam was Professor Turgeson.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #26 of 41 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 11:46 am

Quote:
Several state governments would disagree with you. Two quick examples: California, Florida
No, not true. You need to read the statutes more carefully, at least the California one. Particularly this excerpt:

This prohibition does not apply to any of the following:
(d) The plugs or molds shall be designed in a
manner so as to not inhibit the wearer's ability to hear a siren or
horn from an emergency vehicle or a horn from another motor vehicle.

The Etymotic earplugs are designed with a flat frequency response and a nominal attenuation and their design would qualify for the exemption. I've been using them for many years, and often remove them for a change of pace during long days in the saddle. There is no question that you can hear surrounding sounds as well, or even better when you are wearing them. Plus you stay more alert, because wind noise causes fatigue. Any serious rider should use ear protection, especially for long distance riding.

Regards,
-joel
post #27 of 41 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 12:09 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk_edwards
Not as daft as your think, my wifes MX 5 has speakers in the seats. One in the samll of your back where you can feal the bass beat, and one or two in the head rests. so with the top down, and the other 4 speakers in the car kicking out the sounds you can hear your music great.
I'm thinking about incorporating a switched 10" subwoofer in the passenger backrest if I can find a "thin" type like these Blaupunkt units. At only 2.5 inches deep it should fit fairly well by carving out a hole in the plastic on the back of the rest without having to cut into the trunk.
The missus is NOT going to be happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thin sub woofer.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	13457  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Aug 1st, 2007 at 12:21 pm.
post #28 of 41 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 2:44 pm

Quote:
I live in California. They disagree with 47(?) other states and say I can split lanes legally! I think that's less safe than riding with music.

If you're in a cage, you can crank up the music until it's heard 50 feet from you car. How loud is that????? Is that safer than no music for me?

And you cite only two states. What do the other 48 know that those don't (or visa versa)?

Strangely, in CA, they allow earplugs - just no music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog
You need to read the statutes more carefully, at least the California one. Particularly this excerpt:

This prohibition does not apply to any of the following:
(d) The plugs or molds shall be designed in a
manner so as to not inhibit the wearer's ability to hear a siren or
horn from an emergency vehicle or a horn from another motor vehicle.

The Etymotic earplugs are designed with a flat frequency response and a nominal attenuation and their design would qualify for the exemption. I've been using them for many years, and often remove them for a change of pace during long days in the saddle. There is no question that you can hear surrounding sounds as well, or even better when you are wearing them. Plus you stay more alert, because wind noise causes fatigue. Any serious rider should use ear protection, especially for long distance riding.
Thank you kdog. Like I said, I've ridden (for 20+) years with no earplugs, then in the last 2 with earplugs and sometimes music. I find the music removes a whole bunch of distractions and makes my mind concentrate better on the task at hand - not getting killed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Based on my experience, I agree with every point CharlieVT makes. And that's why I got rid of my first ear buds which were white and bought black ones - which match my leather and become invisible.

I'm not arguing - just pointing out...

mike

Last edited by mrbiker; Aug 1st, 2007 at 3:03 pm.
post #29 of 41 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 4:51 pm

What about seeing if you can squeeze this stuff into the side and top cases.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stereo system.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	13460  

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #30 of 41 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 5:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk_edwards
What about seeing if you can squeeze this stuff into the side and top cases.
OMG!

(I've just GOT to put that subwoofer in the passenger trunk rest!)

I need to channel Ari....

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #31 of 41 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 6:00 pm

I want a bitchin' LT stereo

I'm 100% with you. I've also been checking into a bitching system as you call it. Crutchfields has a small powered subwoofer that will fit in the trunk. They also have some pretty high powered speakers there also. I think we need the 5 1/4 inch speakers.

Let do this and make everyone else ask how we did it!!!!

Wendell

Quote:
Pete's recent post got me to thinking, and I know we've got the onboard juice to do it. I'm tired of wearing in-ear custom molded speakers - they STILL hurt and don't sound all that great.

I'm gonna need some 5.25 inch quality $$ poly speakers - probably $100 EACH with metal tweeters (not silk), an extra amp to feed them and of course a small subwoofer ingeniously hid somewhere that won't take up existing storage space. (between the passenger seat and top case?) Upgraded wiring will be a neccessary evil.

Someone has done this... where?

I PROMISE I won't play any rap! More into global groove.
post #32 of 41 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 6:02 pm

Thanks for the chuckle...
Using the word "bitchin" will have me laughing for hours.

As for upgrading the LT's stereo...why? If you want the real "look at me...look at me" effect, just buy a Harley with loud pipes and be done with it. If you want to actually hear the music, a quality headset or ear phones are the way to go. But I'm guessin' that's not poser enough for you Ron.
post #33 of 41 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 6:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrera1
I'm 100% with you. I've also been checking into a bitching system as you call it. Crutchfields has a small powered subwoofer that will fit in the trunk. They also have some pretty high powered speakers there also. I think we need the 5 1/4 inch speakers.

Let do this and make everyone else ask how we did it!!!!

Wendell
KEWL, I'm with you brother. I likes my muzak!

We can do MUCH better than Crutchfields on price... I'm gonna hit up one of my buds who is GM of AudioVox USA. He may even put together the system for us just for grins.

Hang in there - it might take a while but the results should be spectacular.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #34 of 41 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 9:39 pm

Maybe what you are looking for is better sound, not better base from a sub-woofer.

If you concentrate on the mid-range and they try and add lower mid along with upper mid, you'll enjoy music more.

It seems as if sub-woofers are designed to move a LARGE volume of air.

Many people think that most auto sound equipment isn't designed around sounding good.

Finding water proof speakers that sound OK?

If I go anyplace out of town, I either use two ear plugs, or leave my hearing aide in, turn it off, and use one ear plug.

If you want better sound, I'd look at finding comfortable in the ear "phones" and a headphone amp that can be powered with 12 volts, used with a digital medium that does not strip info from CDs.

you can try here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/index.php

or here to start looking:
http://headwize.com/projects/gilmore_prj.htm

Bob
post #35 of 41 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 9:52 pm

You can add one of these while you're at it.

Joe
2005 BMW K1200LT
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs
post #36 of 41 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 11:29 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josmas
You can add one of these while you're at it.
OMFG! I'm crying! I can't believe those exist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
As for upgrading the LT's stereo...why? If you want the real "look at me...look at me" effect, just buy a Harley with loud pipes and be done with it. If you want to actually hear the music, a quality headset or ear phones are the way to go. But I'm guessin' that's not poser enough for you Ron.
I can't speak for Ron, but I love listening to clear music while winding down the road in the middle of nowhere. I don't like earphones. My helmet already has speakers in it, but I only use those for intercom and phone. I worked in areas with very loud noises while I was in the USAF and wore earplugs nearly every day, all day for almost 11 years. I can't stand wearing plug-type headphones.

I'm not a poseur. I'm not in it for the "oh look at that kewl dood!" I could give a flying fat f#@k what anyone (other than the Mrs, of course) thinks about me. I don't listen to music loudly in towns and try to be respectful of others. That said, I'm not looking for something that'll make people's ears bleed, I want clarity and a touch more on the low side so the music doesn't sound tinny and washed out like it does now. Thus, I'm interested in what Mr. Miller finds. I think his and my goals are similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbiker
And you cite only two states. What do the other 48 know that those don't (or visa versa)?
I cited only two states because I didn't want to research all 50. Especially since I don't live in any of them. But the direct quote from the Kalifornia Drivers License testing booklet (since I have one of those) is "most states". So I'm guessing that 26+ states have laws against headphones.

Also, I'm in a military family, they'll give me a ticket if my music it too loud on base and they'll also give me one if I wear headphones while driving due to both being against their regulations.

OK, threadjacking complete? Back to our regularly scheduled discussion about upgraded sound systems on the LT.

Heracleitus

'07 LT
die Blau Frau SOLD!
MBW-MOA Member #140221
post #37 of 41 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 11:45 pm

This is getting interesting. I want a bitchin' system too. Tried ear speakers and just don't like 'em. When I'm out of the city, relaxed and moving down the two lanes, I like to turn up the music. The stock system needs some help. Keep the ideas coming. dwillie
post #38 of 41 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 9:14 am Thread Starter

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Thanks for the chuckle...
Using the word "bitchin" will have me laughing for hours.

Sorry I missed you Joe, I was out on a little 440 mile ride.

A great day, from Vail to Leadville, Buena Vista, Salida then over Monarch Pass to Gunninson where I had lunch with friends from college. Then mounted up for a cruise past Blue Mesa Reservoir and the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Stopped in Crawford for a break at Joe Cocker's ranch. Nice folks. Joe and Pam said to say "hey". Made a seat for her last year - Joe doesn't have anything to do with the motorbikes. Then over McClure Pass and down to Glenwood Springs and back home along I-70 at a nice 90mph clip.

Not exactly sure what a poser is? Someone that poses for pictures?

Oh, wait a minute - you meant POSEUR, right....? OK, repeat after me: Po - zhuur.. not that hard right?

Guess you must have been sleeping during spelling class.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Aug 2nd, 2007 at 9:30 am.
post #39 of 41 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:31 pm

I have been thinking about getting a better quality sound, also. I'm not a show-off and in desperate need of attention, just want a better sound from the speakers. It's true that premium systems have the ability to be louder, but that is usually a necessity to get clearer, less distorted sound at lower volumes. If you have a bike that tops out at 150 mph, it's going to cruise at 80mph a lot smoother than one that tops at 90mph
Sooo, I was thinking:

Amp -A quality, low distortion, actually, maybe even a booster type amp that could be hooked up in line just before the speakers. This way the controls on the bars will still work.

Equalizer - It would be nice to have this included in the amp. It would be ideal if it was mounted in a way that it could be adjusted, but not necessary as most of the time you set it as you like and leave it alone.

Speakers - Fronts could be a two way midrange/tweeter type. The rear has a few different directions it could go:
a) Small sub + 2 same as fronts
b) 2 three-way 6x9's w/some box work
c) 2 two or three way 5 1/4's
d, e, f, etc.) ???
I feel that the 5 1/4's don't put out much bass. So I would lean towards a or b. Plus to get everything to blend well is another concern. I'm sure there are people here who are more qualified then myself to design this project and I sure would like to be part of it. Waiting with interest

'02 LT Silver
Purchased April 07
77K miles
post #40 of 41 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlando
I have been thinking about getting a better quality sound, also. I'm not a show-off and in desperate need of attention, just want a better sound from the speakers. It's true that premium systems have the ability to be louder, but that is usually a necessity to get clearer, less distorted sound at lower volumes. If you have a bike that tops out at 150 mph, it's going to cruise at 80mph a lot smoother than one that tops at 90mph
Sooo, I was thinking:

Amp -A quality, low distortion, actually, maybe even a booster type amp that could be hooked up in line just before the speakers. This way the controls on the bars will still work.

Equalizer - It would be nice to have this included in the amp. It would be ideal if it was mounted in a way that it could be adjusted, but not necessary as most of the time you set it as you like and leave it alone.

Speakers - Fronts could be a two way midrange/tweeter type. The rear has a few different directions it could go:
a) Small sub + 2 same as fronts
b) 2 three-way 6x9's w/some box work
c) 2 two or three way 5 1/4's
d, e, f, etc.) ???
I feel that the 5 1/4's don't put out much bass. So I would lean towards a or b. Plus to get everything to blend well is another concern. I'm sure there are people here who are more qualified then myself to design this project and I sure would like to be part of it. Waiting with interest
I've never heard one myself, but have heard about some good installs with this one: www.electricalconnection.com/audio/amp.htm
dwillie
post #41 of 41 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:55 am

I like what I read on their site. It sounds like they are willing to work with you to get what you want.

'02 LT Silver
Purchased April 07
77K miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in