Speaker Upgrade - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 12:50 pm Thread Starter

Post Speaker Upgrade

I've had a busy couple weeks with the LT, swapped fluids on the rear drive, trans, changed the oil, swapped plugs, even learned what a B**ch it is to remove the ENTIRE damn fuel tank to get to the air filter, etc.

I've been less than thrilled with the audio performance on the beast, so I followed the lead of CCPastorjack and decided to upgrade. Went with Alpine SPS-130A 5 1/4" 2-way speakers after talking to Crutchfield and researching reviews.

The SPS-130A speakers have a high performance center tweeter that is "aimable" in the direction you want, made from poly not paper (therefore water safe--like the OEM's) 35 watt constant, with 175 watt max, 4ohm, 45-30,000 hz, 92 db sensitivity, bla bla bla (better than OEM).

(Originally I tried Pyle brand marine speakers, but they sucked, and I was told that any speaker made of poly instead of paper is just fine for our applications)

Anyway, I've read past threads where some members said they noticed a significant difference, some noticed none at all--I have noticed a huge difference. Now, granted, my OEM speakers (I have an '04) were brittle as hell...perhaps because the bike spent three years in Atlanta before I bought it and brought it to Dallas, so it's been a hot weather steed, I don't know. Pics below show the difference between old and new.

I've posted a WORD document with step by step pics and instructions for anyone interested in doing the same, with the disclaimer that I am no pro...in other words, I take no responsibility if you blow anything up.

Now, the best part...

I got my speakers off of EBay for $33.94 INCLUDING SHIPPING per pair!

if you want to see the install stuff, I put the file on: http://www.bmwlt.com/files/displayimage.php?pos=-131

moderators, if it meets your standards, feel free to toss it in the maintenance section.

Be well all

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0069.JPG
Views:	1796
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	13437   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0070.JPG
Views:	1274
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	13438  

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 1:24 pm

Talking Great job!

Pete,
Step 7=B
turn key on, 2 full twists of throttle, turn key off!
Then step 8
I keep forgetting that part and only remember when the bike runs crappy! Thanks for the directions. I'm doing it.

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448
post #3 of 36 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 2:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offwego
Pete,
Step 7=B
turn key on, 2 full twists of throttle, turn key off!
Then step 8
I keep forgetting that part and only remember when the bike runs crappy! Thanks for the directions. I'm doing it.

d'oh...BMW's manual says "one" I always do three...

lemme know what you think of the swap, and remember my OEM speakers were old and dry and brittle (as Rodney Dangerfield would say "Like my wife...") so your results may vary.

post #4 of 36 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 2:10 pm

Did you replace the front?

B

"Never enough garage space"

Actually live in San Diego. Can't figure out how to update it. Tried everything.

'14 Ducati Multistrada Gran Turismo
'14 Ducati 899 Panigale
post #5 of 36 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 2:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainfry
Did you replace the front?

B
I'm waiting for the write on this as well for those of us who ride without a top case

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #6 of 36 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 2:51 pm Thread Starter

fronts...

yup, did the fronts as well, didn't think to take pics.

Same basic process as the rears, the only difference was that the speakers aren't a direct and easy fit like the rears are--the bracket that holds the OEM speaker down fits a little differently.

My way around it was to remove the OEM speaker, place the plastic oblong bracket back in its place, then bend three of the four finger-like prongs at the base of the new speakers (used for mounting the speaker) upwards with a flat pliers so the new speaker was "round." Then I took a spare, large washer, slipped that over the 12 o'clock screw for the original speaker, and used that to attach the new one, screwed it down, and it was very solid.

The front speakers have a very intricate rubber gasket around them that makes it challenging, but the connections are identical...just unplug and plug the new ones in, one is smaller than the other so you can't do it incorrectly, and both front and rear are 5 1/4".

I've attached a word doc of screenshots of the '04 and earlier manual showing BMW's instructions for front and rear replacement, keep in mind that there is no separate tweeter if you go with what I did...which is just ONE option...

P
Attached Files
File Type: doc spkrs.doc (388.0 KB, 498 views)

post #7 of 36 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 3:54 pm
kip

thanks

i appreciate that info and the time you took to research and document things
ive been wanting to change out my front speakers for a while
ive ridden most of the last year without the top bag on the back and my front speakers werent too good before i started that....and now they are worse....

im gonna round up some of those and see what happens!

thanks alot!

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga
post #8 of 36 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 4:01 pm

That's just awesome Pete - I'm ordering up four in just a few minutes.

Quick question for 'ya: Is it possible to do the fronts without removing the upper fairing per BMW's instructions? Looks like the grills just pop off and then you're in?

Thanks!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #9 of 36 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 4:30 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
That's just awesome Pete - I'm ordering up four in just a few minutes.

Quick question for 'ya: Is it possible to do the fronts without removing the upper fairing per BMW's instructions? Looks like the grills just pop off and then you're in?

Thanks!

can't say on the '05's and beyond, but for mine, I had to take the side upper fairings off, remove the windshield, take off the front tupperware, remove the stingray, THEN take off the entire piece...the "grilles" are attached from the inside...

although, after all that, I did think that taking a sawz-all to it would have been a lot easier. Come to think of it, a nice pair of in-ear headphones for the ipod would have solved my problem, too...

post #10 of 36 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 5:29 pm

Drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
can't say on the '05's and beyond, but for mine, I had to take the side upper fairings off, remove the windshield, take off the front tupperware, remove the stingray, THEN take off the entire piece...the "grilles" are attached from the inside...

although, after all that, I did think that taking a sawz-all to it would have been a lot easier. Come to think of it, a nice pair of in-ear headphones for the ipod would have solved my problem, too...
And you've found that the OEM audio system drives these speakers with enough power? Ie, no external amp necessary?

Actually live in San Diego. Can't figure out how to update it. Tried everything.

'14 Ducati 899 Panigale
post #11 of 36 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 10:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainfry
And you've found that the OEM audio system drives these speakers with enough power? Ie, no external amp necessary?

I replaced just the right side first so I could answer just that question for myself. Yes, the OEM system drives it. The new speaker was louder at the same volume setting than the old one, clearer, and sounded better. And the new speakers handled much higher volume (from the handlebar volume "switch") before noticable distortion than the old ones.

Again, my old OEM speakers were pretty brittle, your results may vary...

post #12 of 36 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 11:08 pm

Thanks for the info... definitely a project I'm gonna consider... add it to the list of others that's growing everyday. ha.

'14 Ducati 899 Panigale
post #13 of 36 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 6:21 pm

Pete,
I think the moderators are not getting my message or are not responding at this time. I have attempted to click on the thread and have tried the files. No luck. I am hoping the speakers come in soon and right now plan on working on them over the weekend.
Jim Wimberley
post #14 of 36 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 11:20 am

Quote:
I've had a busy couple weeks with the LT, swapped fluids on the rear drive, trans, changed the oil, swapped plugs, even learned what a B**ch it is to remove the ENTIRE damn fuel tank to get to the air filter, etc.

I've been less than thrilled with the audio performance on the beast, so I followed the lead of CCPastorjack and decided to upgrade. Went with Alpine SPS-130A 5 1/4" 2-way speakers after talking to Crutchfield and researching reviews.

The SPS-130A speakers have a high performance center tweeter that is "aimable" in the direction you want, made from poly not paper (therefore water safe--like the OEM's) 35 watt constant, with 175 watt max, 4ohm, 45-30,000 hz, 92 db sensitivity, bla bla bla (better than OEM).

(Originally I tried Pyle brand marine speakers, but they sucked, and I was told that any speaker made of poly instead of paper is just fine for our applications)

Anyway, I've read past threads where some members said they noticed a significant difference, some noticed none at all--I have noticed a huge difference. Now, granted, my OEM speakers (I have an '04) were brittle as hell...perhaps because the bike spent three years in Atlanta before I bought it and brought it to Dallas, so it's been a hot weather steed, I don't know. Pics below show the difference between old and new.

I've posted a WORD document with step by step pics and instructions for anyone interested in doing the same, with the disclaimer that I am no pro...in other words, I take no responsibility if you blow anything up.

Now, the best part...

I got my speakers off of EBay for $33.94 INCLUDING SHIPPING per pair!

if you want to see the install stuff, I put the file on: http://www.bmwlt.com/files/displayimage.php?pos=-131

moderators, if it meets your standards, feel free to toss it in the maintenance section.

Be well all

Pete
My question is this: was the improvement in audio quality significant enough to take on this task?

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #15 of 36 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 12:33 pm Thread Starter

very very much so...but I say that with the disclaimer that my OEM speakers were old and dry and brittle (you know, like Griff likes his womens!), so it's certainly possible that "your results may vary."

I wear a full-face helmet, have noticed a dramatic improvement in FM radio, cd, zumo-fed XM radio, mp3, and ipod audio.

would do it again in a heartbeat.

post #16 of 36 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 12:34 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
My question is this: was the improvement in audio quality significant enough to take on this task?
It was a HUGE improvement on the rears. I used MTX 5 1/4 and it is night and day. No tweeter separate, just a good 2 way speaker. As soon as I do a Tupperware gig, I will do the fronts. Less then an hour for the rears so it is worth it big time.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #17 of 36 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 5:44 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Correction I used

Kicker 5 1/4" Coaxial Speakers
Model #: KKR 055KS525

Smooth, Sweet, and nice output.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #18 of 36 Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 9:29 am

I tried a pair of MTX 5001 component speakers. They are great speakers almost to good for the bike. They went in the rear with very little trouble but will not work in the front without quite a lot of modification. The magnets are to large to fit in the stock box. The other problem is you really can't get the potential of the speaker without adding more amp.
Bob
post #19 of 36 Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 9:43 am
vvk

Jbl

Quote:
The SPS-130A speakers have a high performance center tweeter that is "aimable" in the direction you want, made from poly not paper (therefore water safe--like the OEM's) 35 watt constant, with 175 watt max, 4ohm, 45-30,000 hz, 92 db sensitivity, bla bla bla (better than OEM).Pete
Hi Pete, thanks for the heads up!
Nice mod.
Now for the amp

Here's one I saw on a Russian bike, from JBLansing

Miles of smiles of miles of smiles of...
The hardest thing to do on a K1200LT is riding it home.

Vic
Booze Brother #1
Gandalf Grau
The Netherlands

Last edited by vvk; Nov 3rd, 2007 at 9:49 am. Reason: Addition
post #20 of 36 Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 11:35 am

Where? What amp?

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #21 of 36 Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 7:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
Correction I used

Kicker 5 1/4" Coaxial Speakers
Model #: KKR 055KS525

Smooth, Sweet, and nice output.
Talked me into it, boys! Ordered a pair of thse for half retail and am ready to install for a long awaited improvement to the audio. Of course, I'll have to take the FW rack off...won't sound too good with the luggage carrier on the shelf! Wow...just in time to put it away for winter!!! Thanks for the thread!

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #22 of 36 Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 7:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Where? What amp?
Yeah...now where does the sub-woofer go?

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975

--H.H. Humphrey
post #23 of 36 Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 9:29 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Talked me into it, boys! Ordered a pair of thse for half retail and am ready to install for a long awaited improvement to the audio. Of course, I'll have to take the FW rack off...won't sound too good with the luggage carrier on the shelf! Wow...just in time to put it away for winter!!! Thanks for the thread!
You will not be disappointed, and for the price you cant beat them. I look forward to doing a pair in the front also.

36.95 on Flea Bay now.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959

Last edited by LAF; Nov 3rd, 2007 at 9:47 pm.
post #24 of 36 Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 9:33 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Yeah...now where does the sub-woofer go?
Cut a hole behind the passenger back rest?

Bungee a Bazooka Tube to the rack?

How about in that false exhaust from another thread?

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #25 of 36 Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 9:39 pm

Unhappy

I replaced my rear speakers with alpines, great sound out of them, unfortunately I was only privy to the sound for a few weeks as my amp went out and all I have is the front now, currently looking to replace the radio or find somone who can repair it, which does not seem possible.
post #26 of 36 Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 9:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
You will not be disappointed, and for the price you cant beat them. I look forward to doing a pair in the front also.

60 bucks to the door from Flea Bay from an add on there now.
http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_...ker_05%2BKS525

$53.95 plus free shipping!

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975

--H.H. Humphrey
post #27 of 36 Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:04 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Good price, I was being general.

Guy on Flea Bay are like 36.95 and then 19.00 for shipping, what a rip we get on shipping these days.

At any rate they are good sounding speakers at least on my 07, and I will put a pair in the front next Summer.

Have fun you are going to like them.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #28 of 36 Old Nov 4th, 2007, 2:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF

Guy on Flea Bay are like 36.95 and then 19.00 for shipping, what a rip we get on shipping these days.
That as you may be aware is because there is no commission on the carriage. Therefore if you sell something very cheap but high carriage, there is a much reduced bill. Have you seen some of the far eastern ebayers? 1p per item and £10 post (general example)

Just pussin' through.
post #29 of 36 Old Nov 4th, 2007, 6:45 am

Just curious

I can understand wanting better sound from the built in speakers, but at normal riding speed (40-80) can you really make out what you are listening to well enough to follow the GPS audio?

I find that the only way I can really hear clearly is through the speakers in my helmet. I did not like the way the original Auto Com sounded so last year I replaced them with Titanium speakers from Radio Shack and now the sound is awesome. This was a members suggestion that took little time to do and was really worth the results.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #30 of 36 Old Nov 4th, 2007, 9:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
Good price, I was being general.

At any rate they are good sounding speakers at least on my 07, and I will put a pair in the front next Summer.

Have fun you are going to like them.
Yeah...shipping on ebay is a major consideration when buying. Hey, try Overstock.com! $48.95 includes shipping! That speaker gets good reviews!

Now for that subwoofer!

Reido

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975

--H.H. Humphrey
post #31 of 36 Old Nov 4th, 2007, 9:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
I can understand wanting better sound from the built in speakers, but at normal riding speed (40-80) can you really make out what you are listening to well enough to follow the GPS audio?

I find that the only way I can really hear clearly is through the speakers in my helmet. I did not like the way the original Auto Com sounded so last year I replaced them with Titanium speakers from Radio Shack and now the sound is awesome. This was a members suggestion that took little time to do and was really worth the results.
I can only imagine...but at highway speeds I doubt there's much improvement; zero audio quality X infinitity (infinite audio improvement) will still be zero! However, I'd be mucho pleased if I could get better audio just putting around town; I'd plug in the helmet for highway audio.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975

--H.H. Humphrey
post #32 of 36 Old Nov 4th, 2007, 10:24 am Thread Starter

I don't have any problems hearing audio and my GPS commands at 85-90 mph with the new alpine speakers as shown in my mods, and that's with a shoei multitec modular helmet (full-face), and faceshield closed. Couldn't hear either well before.

Oh, further "props" for the "under fifty bucks" upgrade...I also have significant hearing loss thanks to an existing brain tumor, so if you still doubt whether it's worth three fill-ups of premium to upgrade your speakers, I'd recommend a decent pair of in-ear headphones instead.

my two cents, feel free to mail me change.

Pete

post #33 of 36 Old Nov 4th, 2007, 6:38 pm

I checked overstock.com and the only Alpines they have now are 6"x9". Just a bit too big without serious alteration.

I ordered a pair of Clarion SRR1316 for $20.00 plus $2.95 shipping. Response is 40Hz to 30kHz, so there may be slightly more low end than the Alpines. Their response was 45Hz to 30kHz. The difference might be undetectable. I listened to Alpine's current model, SPS-13CS at BestBuy today. Had they not been $96, I would have bought them on the spot. Really good sound and bass response. fle-bay had them for $54 including shipping. Considered it, but I don't think I went wrong with the Clarions. I've had a Clarion receiver in the car since '99.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #34 of 36 Old Nov 5th, 2007, 7:23 am

QUOTE from Lee510:

"I checked overstock.com and the only Alpines they have now are 6"x9". Just a bit too big without serious alteration."

Overstock.com has the Kicker KS525 which is what I was referring to.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975

--H.H. Humphrey
post #35 of 36 Old Aug 12th, 2008, 11:42 am

Re: Speaker Upgrade

This is GREAT! Thank you guys for the information. With my LT being 8yrs old I'm sure the speakers have aged too. Since seeing my 1st Porsche as a kid I've always liked Alpine.
Thank you Pete for starting this thread!

1985 K100RT 90k
1981 R100RT 56k miles Sold
2000 K1200LT 48k miles Sold
2003 Victory Vegas-12k miles Sold
1982 Suzuki GS550L only 299 miles Sold
1997 Yamaha Vmax-15k miles Sold
1996 Suzuki DR650-17k miles Sold
1996 R1100RT-27k miles Sold
1995 K1100LT-85k miles Sold
1982 Honda CB900F-33k mikes Sold
BMWMOA 138762[/I]
post #36 of 36 Old Aug 13th, 2008, 10:34 am

Re: Speaker Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip001
This is GREAT! Thank you guys for the information. With my LT being 8yrs old I'm sure the speakers have aged too. Since seeing my 1st Porsche as a kid I've always liked Alpine.
Thank you Pete for starting this thread!
I only replaced my rear speakers and improvement in quality and output is terrific! Would like to do the fronts also, but that's a bigger project than I want to tackle right now. Good luck!

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975

--H.H. Humphrey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in