Back to dyno oil in replace of synthetic - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 11:30 am Thread Starter

Back to dyno oil in replace of synthetic

I'm thinking about moving back to dyno oil instead of synthetic.

I wonder if any one here have done this move before.

When I had to change oil during a trip, find the right synthetic to blend with the BMW I had was a big deal. After a lot of "I think this one will work" I decide to change oil and filter instead of just adding what I need.

So, I'm not sure on the benefits of using synthetic if I'm changing oil every 5K miles. Do you? Am I missing something here?

I already decided on using dyno on the rear and and transmission (80W90).

Would like to hear some opinions on that. THank you

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 11:44 am

Dyno vs. Synthetic

I have considered that as well but am sticking with Syn for now. I doubt that you would have done any harm to add dyno to your synthetic while on the trip. Isn't that what the "synthetic blends" are?

A riding buddy of mine has about 190,000 mikles on a 2000 RT that uses conventional motor oil (MC specific) bought from WalMart at a buck or two a qt. He changes it regularly at a 3000-4000 interval and has had no issues other than a clutch at 130,000. Lubricants are so good now, that is almost never the problem.

Redrider
2000 K1200LT
2003 K1200RS

post #3 of 54 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 12:20 pm

I think the biggest real difference is which ever one makes you sleep better. There's nothing magic about synthetic, it's nothing more than dino oil that meets "synthetic" specs. I guess synthetic makes me sleep better, cause I keep buying it. Mixing it is not a problem, you'll just create your own "synthetic blend".

post #4 of 54 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 12:22 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I use Castral 20w50 full synth for motor and Valvoline full synth 75w90 for trans & rear drive. Both easy to find at most auto parts store or Wally World If I know my trip will take me pass time for an oil change I bring an oil filter with me and the tools needed to do it on the road

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 54 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 2:19 pm

Since the LT has a dry clutch, there is no need for motorcycle specific oil.

You can get Mobil 1 15-50W at Wally world pretty much anywhere, and if you can make the room, carry a spare oil filter and related tools to do the job on the road....a 2 dollar drip tray can be purchased along with the oil, and places like Autozone wont mind if you pull up behind and do the service yourself, then let them dispose of your used oil.

I dont like frequent oil changes, so I stick with synthetic....not only on the LT, but my truck, wife's car, lawnmower, boat engine.....synthetic is NOT dino....

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #6 of 54 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 2:21 pm

This is only partly true and only for some synthetic oils. There are several types of products that are considered to be synthetic in North America.

True synthetic oil is manufactured from non-petroleum base products such as carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, and methane. These products are not derived from any natural petrolium sources.

A second type of synthetic oil is made from "Syncrude" which is a hydrogenated and purified bimuten derived from the oil sands in Alberta, Canada. Syncrude is derived from natural sources but the product and process to create them bears little resemblance to refined natural oils.

The third type of product involves hydrocraking high grade mineral oil into a base stock (API Group III oils) with properties "almost" as good as manufactured synthetic base products . Again this is derived from natural oil sources but has little resemblance to normally refined oil products.

I know Amsoil and Mobil 1 are manufactured synthetics and there are probably others.

All that being said there are no compatibility issues between synthetic and natural engine oil products. If all I had access to was dino oil I would mix it with the synthetic in my engine as long as it met the specifications of the engine manufacturer. I would change back to my preferred oil at the next oil change.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #7 of 54 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 3:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd98056
This is only partly true and only for some synthetic oils. There are several types of products that are considered to be synthetic in North America.

True synthetic oil is manufactured from non-petroleum base products such as carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, and methane. These products are not derived from any natural petrolium sources.

A second type of synthetic oil is made from "Syncrude" which is a hydrogenated and purified bimuten derived from the oil sands in Alberta, Canada. Syncrude is derived from natural sources but the product and process to create them bears little resemblance to refined natural oils.

The third type of product involves hydrocraking high grade mineral oil into a base stock (API Group III oils) with properties "almost" as good as manufactured synthetic base products . Again this is derived from natural oil sources but has little resemblance to normally refined oil products.

I know Amsoil and Mobil 1 are manufactured synthetics and there are probably others.

All that being said there are no compatibility issues between synthetic and natural engine oil products. If all I had access to was dino oil I would mix it with the synthetic in my engine as long as it met the specifications of the engine manufacturer. I would change back to my preferred oil at the next oil change.
Like I said, it all comes from Dinosoars, & not some kind of magic.
post #8 of 54 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 3:43 pm
kip

oil debate

i think that other than the dreaded rear drive issue, and perhaps tires, oil preferences are the most common recurring theme on this site

it always amazes me how passionate people can get about their oil, oil change frequency, etc.....

as for me....i like synthetic ...im not real scientific....it just feels alot slicker to me which somehow i think is a good thing....as for what kind....i use one carried by walmart and autozone ....like it or not (not starting up a Wal-Mart debate) there are plenty of those everywhere you go.....as for how often....well....im shooting for every 5000 plus or minus some depending on weather, where i am, what all else the wife has lined up for me to do etc....

my LT's only got 92000 miles on it so far so I can't give any really statistically valid results to my methods at this point....but I will check back every 50,000 or so and let ya'll know if i have seen a need to make any changes

since i havent posted anything in a while ill go ahead and throw in a vote for michelins over bridgestones tho

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga
post #9 of 54 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 4:03 pm
kip

testing

well no replies on my michelin comment
what i was thinking was metzler

CRS is really taking effect hard now days

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga
post #10 of 54 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 4:10 pm

Maybe I'm Chicken

I know all oils (and gas for that matter) are basically the same. Viscosity is about the only real difference.

Many years back, I made the change to all synthetic all the time. Cars, trucks, boats, mowers, etc. What drove me was one of my pilot friends who, although not technical, knew they used synthetics all the times in planes.

I guess if it is safe enough to run a turbine (even if it is a different formulation) it is probably good enough for everything else.

Or perhaps its just another form of Farkle
post #11 of 54 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 5:01 pm

I've been working in an oil refinery for 30+ years & have been trying to figure out where synthetic oil comes from for a long time. Have you ever seen a synthetic oil refinery or factory? The best I can come up with is this. Everything in synthetic oil comes from crude oil after it is broken down into every product that comes from crude oil & that is a whole lot more than gasoline. The ingredients are put back together in the exact formular to meet "synthetic oil" specs. Which means it's a custom blend with less impurities, will stand up to more heat & has better lubricating values. It is still dino oil but, taken apart & put back together. I have been searching for an answer for years & this is the best I can come up with. You might have to be a coonass to understand what I just said, it's the best I can do.
post #12 of 54 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 5:25 pm

Big E,

Quit searching for chemical synthetic oil in an oil refinery. It is made in chemical plants. Some oil refineries do have an ethylene or olefin unit. They can then pipe, rail or ship it to a chemical plant to make synthetic oil. The largest supplier of PolyAlphaOlefin based synthetic oil in the US is Exxon Chemical.

Which oil refinery in LA do you work? I spent alot of time at Shell Norco, just west of New Orleans, doing mostly HS&E and gas treating there.
post #13 of 54 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 6:44 pm

Where does Exxon Chemical get it's feed stock to make the synthetic oil, from an Exxon refinery maybe? I worked at the Marathon Refinery for 31 years until this year, now I'm at a Marathon Gas Plant in west Africa.
post #14 of 54 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 9:47 pm

Damn, that's a long way from Prairieville Louisiana!!

Tommy
02 K12 LT - 251,000 Miles and counting
442,000+ BMW Miles and counting
post #15 of 54 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 5:34 am

My wife used to work on an oil rig in Louisiana "back in the day." That was before she hurt her back. I forget what she did specifically, but I gather it was a general laborer..something to do with mud.

I've been considering switching all my vehicles over to ******, but haven't decided yet. I have never heard of an "oil related" failure of any kind, in any kind of engine, other than, "not enough."

About 15 years or so ago, I started running Wal-Mart's house brand oil in all my cars. Never had a bit of trouble, not even with my last Kia Sportage that had 197,000+ miles on it when I got rid of it this spring, and even then the engine was running like a watch.

Funny thing. Someone mentioned Castrol, and I believe that's the brand mentioned in my BMW's owners manual. The service manager at the (BMW) dealer where I bought my bike told me to use "anything but Castrol."

You think oil "discussions" are interesting here, you should hear the ones on outboard motor forums.
post #16 of 54 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 6:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by strsout
I'm thinking about moving back to dyno oil instead of synthetic.

I wonder if any one here have done this move before.

When I had to change oil during a trip, find the right synthetic to blend with the BMW I had was a big deal. After a lot of "I think this one will work" I decide to change oil and filter instead of just adding what I need.

So, I'm not sure on the benefits of using synthetic if I'm changing oil every 5K miles. Do you? Am I missing something here?

I already decided on using dyno on the rear and and transmission (80W90).

Would like to hear some opinions on that. THank you
if you are changing oil every 5k or even 6k like bmw recomends you have no problem running DYNO unless it is extreeme use

so in reality since Synth. is supposed to be sooo much better, you should be able to do your oil changes further apart, BUT if you do that you can void your warranty!

so why spend double for synth oil?
post #17 of 54 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 6:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass
I've been considering switching all my vehicles over to ******, but haven't decided yet. I have never heard of an "oil related" failure of any kind, in any kind of engine, other than, "not enough."

About 15 years or so ago, I started running Wal-Mart's house brand oil in all my cars. Never had a bit of trouble, not even with my last Kia Sportage that had 197,000+ miles on it when I got rid of it this spring, and even then the engine was running like a watch.

Funny thing. Someone mentioned Castrol, and I believe that's the brand mentioned in my BMW's owners manual. The service manager at the (BMW) dealer where I bought my bike told me to use "anything but Castrol."
funny, you must use BMW of Orlando, that is the same thing they told me, I looked at him and laughed, told him I was a mechanic way to long for him to feed me that BS

I ran castrol in to many vehicles for way over 100k miles with no problems,

I love oil threads, 90 percent of it is pure BS.

you have your proof with 197k running cheap wal mart oil

the biggest concern with running oils is not to mix base grades, that is when you sttart sludge buildup
post #18 of 54 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 6:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
=====================
I ran castrol in to many vehicles for way over 100k miles with no problems,
Me too!
Quote:

I love oil threads, 90 percent of it is pure BS.
Way more than just 90% in my opinion.
[quote]

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #19 of 54 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 7:27 am

Quote:
if you are changing oil every 5k or even 6k like bmw recomends you have no problem running DYNO unless it is extreeme use

so in reality since Synth. is supposed to be sooo much better, you should be able to do your oil changes further apart, BUT if you do that you can void your warranty!

so why spend double for synth oil?
Synthetic oils in general will provide easier start up in cold weather and more protection in hot weather. Chemical synthetic oil molecules are designed and built to be the best molecule for lubrication and stability. All of these molecules are identical. Petroleum molecules number in the thousands of different types. Most are stable and good lubricants. Some are not. This is why chemical synthetics are more robust, evaporate less, produce less varnish and sludge, more efficient and last longer. This is why synthetic oils offer longer warranties than petroleum oils and as long as they don't fail, will not void a factory warranty even with extended oil change intervals. This is the law. If they do fail, make sure the oil has their own parts and labor warranty.

For those who would like to learn more about motor oils and lubrication, take a look at http://www.motor-oil-engineers.com/M...eers%20PDF.pdf . For those who would like to compare 26 popular motorcycle oils that were tested using 10 standard ASTM test methods by an independent nonprofit lab, check out http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf .
post #20 of 54 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 7:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass
Have your service manager dig up a copy of the BMW oil "Material Safety Data Sheet" for the BMW oil. He is required by law to have a copy on hand. Look in the upper right corner of the document. It should say the oil or document was produced by Castrol. I contacted BMW about a year or two ago and they told me Castrol produced BMW oil. However, it may not be the same exact formulation that Castrol uses in their products.
post #21 of 54 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 9:39 am

I use the Amsoil all around in my bike, change the fluids every 12k miles and still sleep well at night.
I also use Amsoil in our cars and my car is a 1986 Honda Accord.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #22 of 54 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 2:56 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
I use the Amsoil all around in my bike, change the fluids every 12k miles and still sleep well at night.
I also use Amsoil in our cars and my car is a 1986 Honda Accord.
NO BONES not a "CHICK CAR"

Stevie Shreeve
post #23 of 54 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 7:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
NO BONES not a "CHICK CAR"
What's wrong with attracting chicks? Well, I guess if you actually see it, not too many people would be interested it looking at it. But it does run.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #24 of 54 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 5:00 am

Dirty oil is what wears out a motor. Change oil and filter regularly and you will have no problems. Nothing wrong with dyno oils. The only Benifit of synthetics is that you can go longer between oil changes because the syns do not break down as fast as Dyno oil does. Just my opinion...
post #25 of 54 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 7:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomK12LT
Dirty oil is what wears out a motor. Change oil and filter regularly and you will have no problems. Nothing wrong with dyno oils. The only Benifit of synthetics is that you can go longer between oil changes because the syns do not break down as fast as Dyno oil does. Just my opinion...
I agree. still though if the "bike" is in warranty and you don;t change the oil per scheduled maintance they can void warranty

so why spend usually double or more than double
post #26 of 54 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 7:11 am

Your warranty cannot be voided unless they prove the oil failed. That is the law. Be sure the oil you use has it's own warranty if the oil fails. That way you are always covered even when extending your oil changes.
post #27 of 54 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 7:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVipond
Your warranty cannot be voided unless they prove the oil failed. That is the law. Be sure the oil you use has it's own warranty if the oil fails. That way you are always covered even when extending your oil changes.

hahaha good luck there, go ahead double your oil change mileage and have something happen to a BMW oil related.

you might win in court after spending a small fortune on attorneys, but I doubt it. if they can prove lack of maintenance they can win, it all depends on who's lawyer is better.

Tom
post #28 of 54 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 8:10 am

Amsoil has recommended extended oil change intervals for 35 years and has NEVER voided a factory warranty. A mechanic can usually tell if an oil has failed or the equipment failed. Case in point. My transmission broke in my K1200LT at 136,000 miles. Mechanic said gear lube looked good even though I doubled the OEM RECOMMENDED oil change interval. A gear tooth broke (likely a manufacturing flaw) and locked the transmission. No oil varnish or visable wear found. The inside of the transmission looked new. The extended warranty paid for repairs. No delays, no lawyers, no muss, no fuss. In the meantime, I had the gear lube analyzed by a 3rd party company. Analysis came back, everything looked great and the company recommended the lube for further use, and to sample at the next interval, which would have been at 4X BMW's oil change interval. If the oil had failed, Amsoil would have paid for all repairs as stated in their written warranty.
post #29 of 54 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:49 am

Quote:
Amsoil has recommended extended oil change intervals for 35 years and has NEVER voided a factory warranty. A mechanic can usually tell if an oil has failed or the equipment failed. Case in point. My transmission broke in my K1200LT at 136,000 miles. Mechanic said gear lube looked good even though I doubled the OEM RECOMMENDED oil change interval. A gear tooth broke (likely a manufacturing flaw) and locked the transmission. No oil varnish or visable wear found. The inside of the transmission looked new. The extended warranty paid for repairs. No delays, no lawyers, no muss, no fuss. In the meantime, I had the gear lube analyzed by a 3rd party company. Analysis came back, everything looked great and the company recommended the lube for further use, and to sample at the next interval, which would have been at 4X BMW's oil change interval. If the oil had failed, Amsoil would have paid for all repairs as stated in their written warranty.
screw what amsoil says, it's a pyramid sales tactic I've been a mechanic my whole life, like I said have an issue with BMW and see if amsoil will pay for your attorney

I fought with BMW NA once already over a trans failure
and all the services were done and I could prove it with my receipts of oils filters and everything else.

Like I said GOOD friggen luck, if they decide they ain't paying because you did not do your services on time or per their maintenance schedule you will fight them to the end and can loose and more than likely would in court.

Tom
post #30 of 54 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:10 pm

Quote:
screw what amsoil says, it's a pyramid sales tactic I've been a mechanic my whole life, like I said have an issue with BMW and see if amsoil will pay for your attorney

and all the services were done and I could prove it with my receipts of oils filters and everything else.

Like I said GOOD friggen luck, if they decide they ain't paying because you did not do your services on time or per their maintenance schedule you will fight them to the end and can loose and more than likely would in court.

Tom
Amsoil will pay for an attorney on my behalf if necessary. The laws are very clear that BMW would have to prove the oil failed. It didn't, so I had absolutely no problems with my warranty claim. Makes no difference if I changed before the recommended oil change interval, or at 1,000,000 mile intervals as long as the oil is good. However, Amsoil will likely only pay for up to double the BMW interval if the oil failed, unless an oil analysis like I had done shows the oil to be servicable for continued use like mine was. Some trucks have gone 400,000 miles on an Amsoil oil change and voided no warranty. Like I said, Amsoil has never voided a warranty in 35 years.

I had no fight with BMW NA or the extended warranty company. BMW even apologized and gave me $1000 rebate on the new bike I purchased as part of their apology.
post #31 of 54 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:58 pm

Quote:
Amsoil will pay for an attorney on my behalf if necessary. The laws are very clear that BMW would have to prove the oil failed. It didn't, so I had absolutely no problems with my warranty claim. Makes no difference if I changed before the recommended oil change interval, or at 1,000,000 mile intervals as long as the oil is good. However, Amsoil will likely only pay for up to double the BMW interval if the oil failed, unless an oil analysis like I had done shows the oil to be servicable for continued use like mine was. Some trucks have gone 400,000 miles on an Amsoil oil change and voided no warranty. Like I said, Amsoil has never voided a warranty in 35 years.

I had no fight with BMW NA or the extended warranty company. BMW even apologized and gave me $1000 rebate on the new bike I purchased as part of their apology.
well damnitman

here you have it folks, don't bother changing your oil any more! make bmw prove it was due to oil failure!

just what failure did you have?

I see you did not have to go to court? you were lucky.

and what vehicle comes with a 400k mile warranty?
are you saying it is only becuase of that snake oil? ooops I mean amsoil?

if so I laugh again!~

so exactly what was the cause of your engine failure? please explain the failure!
post #32 of 54 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 1:29 pm

Quote:
well damnitman

here you have it folks, don't bother changing your oil any more! make bmw prove it was due to oil failure!

just what failure did you have?

I see you did not have to go to court? you were lucky.

and what vehicle comes with a 400k mile warranty?
are you saying it is only becuase of that snake oil? ooops I mean amsoil?

if so I laugh again!~

so exactly what was the cause of your engine failure? please explain the failure!
I've never had an engine failure with extended Amsoil oil changes. I had the transmission lock up at 136,000 miles when I downshifted, apparently due to a flawed tooth in the transmission that broke loose and locked up the transmission and broke a few other teeth in the process. The Amsoil transmission fluid looked great and passed oil analysis for continued use past the 24,000 miles it was in service, the transmission looked new with no varnish or wear. BMW and the warranty company rightly concluded the fluid and the change interval was not at fault and that it was a manufacturing defect covered by the warranty.

Why was I lucky I didn't have to go to court? Why should I? The warranty laws are clear. I know it, Amsoil knows it, BMW knows it and the warranty companies know it. You might want to read them sometime.

All vehicles (even 400,000 mile ones) come with a free Amsoil warranty when you use their products and comes into play should their lubricants and filters ever fail and cause mechanical failure when used as directed.

So tell us about your big fight with BMW when YOUR transmission failed. I didn't get to experience one. They just rolled over for me when they saw the evidence.
post #33 of 54 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 1:44 pm

Quote:
I've never had an engine failure with extended Amsoil oil changes. I had the transmission lock up at 136,000 miles when I downshifted, apparently due to a flawed tooth in the transmission that broke loose and locked up the transmission and broke a few other teeth in the process. The Amsoil transmission fluid looked great and passed oil analysis for continued use past the 24,000 miles it was in service, the transmission looked new with no varnish or wear. BMW and the warranty company rightly concluded the fluid and the change interval was not at fault and that it was a manufacturing defect covered by the warranty.

Why was I lucky I didn't have to go to court? Why should I? The warranty laws are clear. I know it, Amsoil knows it, BMW knows it and the warranty companies know it. You might want to read them sometime.

All vehicles (even 400,000 mile ones) come with a free Amsoil warranty when you use their products and comes into play should their lubricants and filters ever fail and cause mechanical failure when used as directed.

So tell us about your big fight with BMW when YOUR transmission failed. I didn't get to experience one. They just rolled over for me when they saw the evidence.
1st off , I've never had a engine failure wiht any oil

just how many miles were on that tranny when it locked up?
post #34 of 54 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 1:51 pm

Quote:
Tom
You mentioned this fight you had. Tell us about it.

Like I said twice before, my transmission had 136,000 miles when it locked up.
post #35 of 54 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 2:25 pm

Quote:
You mentioned this fight you had. Tell us about it.

Like I said twice before, my transmission had 136,000 miles when it locked up.

"Like I said twice before"
Just making sure we are on the same page here soooo

BMW had nothing to do with this?
it was your extended that covered that repair?,
you know to date I have never seen a extended question service intervals.

if so it was your extended you just fed us a bunch of BS about BMW covering anything

our tranny in her RT, had been replaced before this was the third major repair on it,

There was no lube failure (Dino gear oil), the bike was out miles but the tranny was still under it's two year, it stripped input shaft and did some damge to 1st gear)

oops forgot, they made us show every service since new on the 2nd trans repair, it was a PITA

They fought us tooth and nail replacing that tranny.

GO AHEAD FOLKS, RUN THAT OIL 100K MILES

Last edited by tmgs; Aug 2nd, 2007 at 2:33 pm.
post #36 of 54 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 3:08 pm

I have to agree with tmgs about this one. If my bike was under warranty, I would go by the book as to changing intervals, regardless of what kind of oil i was using. I definitely would be using a grade recommended by the MFG. Hardly anyone ever really wins a lawsuit--even if you are right. Plus how many years are you willing to wait to proven right. Not to mention all the hassles of depostions, interrogatories and bs. I am an attorney, and I know most of the time the system is neither swift or satisfactory. JMO
post #37 of 54 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 4:00 pm

Quote:
"Like I said twice before"
Just making sure we are on the same page here soooo

BMW had nothing to do with this?
it was your extended that covered that repair?,
you know to date I have never seen a extended question service intervals.

if so it was your extended you just fed us a bunch of BS about BMW covering anything

our tranny in her RT, had been replaced before this was the third major repair on it,

There was no lube failure (Dino gear oil), the bike was out miles but the tranny was still under it's two year, it stripped input shaft and did some damge to 1st gear)

oops forgot, they made us show every service since new on the 2nd trans repair, it was a PITA

They fought us tooth and nail replacing that tranny.

GO AHEAD FOLKS, RUN THAT OIL 100K MILES
BMW motorcycle in a BMW shop repaired by a BMW mechanic using BMW parts paid for by my extended warranty after the BMW service manager asked them to. BMW NA gave me $1000 after I told them the story. I had no fight and not sure I even asked BMW for the money. Only run the same Amsoil motorcycle oil 100,000 miles if you have a $20 analysis run every 12,000 miles or once a year whichever happens first and it says to continue to the next sample interval. Or 24,000 with the transmission and final drive oil. I prefer just to change Amsoil and filter every 12,000 miles, and the transmission and final drive oil every 24,000 miles. Although I ran it 36,000 miles once. Ooops...
post #38 of 54 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 4:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlakin
I have to agree with tmgs about this one. If my bike was under warranty, I would go by the book as to changing intervals, regardless of what kind of oil i was using. I definitely would be using a grade recommended by the MFG. Hardly anyone ever really wins a lawsuit--even if you are right. Plus how many years are you willing to wait to proven right. Not to mention all the hassles of depostions, interrogatories and bs. I am an attorney, and I know most of the time the system is neither swift or satisfactory. JMO
Yep, this is why it is important to run an oil that meets the requirements that BMW places on the oil, and to use an oil with it's own warranty. What you are describing has not happened with Amsoil in 35 years. If you use a car or truck oil that is not recommended by the oil manufacturer and/or has no warranty, look out!
post #39 of 54 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 4:22 pm

Quote:
Yep, this is why it is important to run an oil that meets the requirements that BMW places on the oil, and to use an oil with it's own warranty. What you are describing has not happened with Amsoil in 35 years. If you use a car or truck oil that is not recommended by the oil manufacturer and/or has no warranty, look out!

hahahahaha

I love the pyramid sales pitch! good job, you get a raise!

fact is have you ever heard of any oil co paying for a repair?

ya know the dirty ass nasty Quaker STate oil every one swore was the worst crapo ever

well that is one of the cleanest engines I have ever seen taken apart, the fellow that bought that car new ran nothing but quacker state oil in it

am soiled's snake oil
Quack er State
Shell ing out your money
Castrol
whotheheckever are all fine oils and you will never see a repair due to BAD oil.

bad owners mixing differnet blends over and over causeing extreeme sludge possibly, but never OIL causing damage without some other reason (dirt in it never changing filters whatever) plus that and todays; vehicles burn cleaner

I have run nothing but amsoil in this k1200LT since the 12k mile service, it is no cleaner inside the engine than anything I ever ran with twice the mileage using castrol

don't believe it come see the BS hypeo yourself before I sell the bike

oh BTW the bike has 146k miles on it, 100k less than many vehicles I've had run on castrol and not one bit cleaner

and this bike has had the Snake oil (oops Amsoil) changed every 6k and sometimes much less due to leaving on a trip

in fact this is the second oil level glass in it so you can see the oil level

Tom (who will not waste the extra 6-7 bucks a quart on snake oil again - yes out west one time I had to pay 9 bucks a quart for the snake oil)
post #40 of 54 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 5:43 pm

Thanks. I have gotten a raise nearly every month for the past 3 years. Amsoil has experienced double digit growth every year in the past 20 years. They have doubled their growth every 5 years. This year they expect to do it in 3 years. The other oil companies are not doing so well. Shell bought Pennzoil and Quaker State a few years ago. All 3 divisions have lost market share.

Pyramid? I retired from Shell Oil which had about 27 levels. Plus customers, the board and share holders. Amsoil has the customer, a dealer, two levels above him and about 3 levels at the company. Which has the larger pyramid?

Amsoil does make a few warranty payments a year. Mostly for good PR. Never because the oil failed.

Shell Oil owns Pennzoil and Quaker State. All have good product lines.

Why is Amsoil snake oil? They purchase PolyAlphaOlefin from Exxon Chemical and a few others. They purchase their additive packages from Lubrizol just like Quaker State, Shell, Pennzoil and others. Amsoil just buys their top performance packages. They have their oils tested by Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio, an independent non profit lab, and publish the test results using standard ASTM test methods against named competitors. Nobody has proved their results incorrect. They have about 6500 pages of mostly technical information on their Corporate website. Amsoil came out with the first API synthetic oil in 1972. Then Mobil1 came out a few years later. Now, everyone has jumped on the bandwagon and offers synthetic oils. Plus they offer a free warranty with extended oil change intervals. Any of the majors could make an oil just as good as Amsoil. They just choose not to. Amsoil is quietly recognized as the leader in oil and filtration at the major oil company meetings.

Toyota and others have had to pay for thousands of engine repairs due to improper oils and/or oil change intervals being used. They've revised their recommendations to synthetic oils and shorter oil changes. They have also increased their warranty intervals.
post #41 of 54 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 6:29 pm

Quote:
Thanks. I have gotten a raise nearly every month for the past 3 years. Amsoil has experienced double digit growth every year in the past 20 years. They have doubled their growth every 5 years. This year they expect to do it in 3 years. The other oil companies are not doing so well. Shell bought Pennzoil and Quaker State a few years ago. All 3 divisions have lost market share.

Pyramid? I retired from Shell Oil which had about 27 levels. Plus customers, the board and share holders. Amsoil has the customer, a dealer, two levels above him and about 3 levels at the company. Which has the larger pyramid?

Amsoil does make a few warranty payments a year. Mostly for good PR. Never because the oil failed.

Shell Oil owns Pennzoil and Quaker State. All have good product lines.

Why is Amsoil snake oil? They purchase PolyAlphaOlefin from Exxon Chemical and a few others. They purchase their additive packages from Lubrizol just like Quaker State, Shell, Pennzoil and others. Amsoil just buys their top performance packages. They have their oils tested by Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio, an independent non profit lab, and publish the test results using standard ASTM test methods against named competitors. Nobody has proved their results incorrect. They have about 6500 pages of mostly technical information on their Corporate website. Amsoil came out with the first API synthetic oil in 1972. Then Mobil1 came out a few years later. Now, everyone has jumped on the bandwagon and offers synthetic oils. Plus they offer a free warranty with extended oil change intervals. Any of the majors could make an oil just as good as Amsoil. They just choose not to. Amsoil is quietly recognized as the leader in oil and filtration at the major oil company meetings.

Toyota and others have had to pay for thousands of engine repairs due to improper oils and/or oil change intervals being used. They've revised their recommendations to synthetic oils and shorter oil changes. They have also increased their warranty intervals.
hehehe I knew it

ya know i worked for toyota for a while never did I see or hear of a warranty job paid for because of oil problem. fialure of a part yes but not due to the oil itself

sorry but I still call BS on the snake oil company.

is it a bad oil? No, and I never said it was,

I should rather say it is a waste of hard earned dollars and you will get great results and long engine/trans life out of regular good old fashion Oil for half (or less) the cost.

like I said I have a bike here right now with amsoiled in it and it is no cleaner than any other vehicle I have ever owned, not my cars, not my bikes even my old stroker shovel that got the snot run out of it with Kendall 70wt in it

now that is proof in the real world.
post #42 of 54 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 7:25 pm

Quote:
ya know i worked for toyota for a while never did I see or hear of a warranty job paid for because of oil problem. fialure of a part yes but not due to the oil itself
Here is a little reading you can do. http://www.autosafety.org/getcat.php?cid=28 .
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2774
http://www.petitiononline.com/TMC2003/petition.html .
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...ta_engine.html
post #43 of 54 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 9:21 pm

I appreciate your time for those links, it still wont change my mind on amsoil or any other high priced oil,

I wish i still had the testing results but some years back there was yet another independent oil study

the number one oil was
Shell Rotella T Synthetic
Amsoil was number two

I forget who was next, I do remember Mobil one synthetic being a few more down the list
then dino oils came in

there is no question that the top name synthetic oils are good
there is also no question the 2 dollar a quart castrol from your local auto parts is top Shell oil that will get you hundreds of thousands of miles out of your vehicle be it motorcycle or car air cooled or water cooled,

at better than 3/4 million miles on motorcycles and god only knows how many on cars, I stand by my statements
, as far as oil is concerned I can say without a question paying 8-9 dollars a quart for oil is just a waste of money

Tom
post #44 of 54 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 9:40 pm

I agree $8 or $9 for a quart of oil is too expensive. My customers and I usually pay $4-7. And with warranted 7500 to 35,000 miles on an oil change, it becomes cost effective and saves a lot of time. And many notice lower temperatures, better shifting and better gas mileage to boot!
post #45 of 54 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 5:02 am

Tim, Im interested in hearing more about Amsoil. How can I get some and what do you use in the K1200LT motor, tranny, and final drive? Do they make filters for the BMW 1200LT? Thanks in advance.
post #46 of 54 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 6:04 am

Quote:
I agree $8 or $9 for a quart of oil is too expensive. My customers and I usually pay $4-7. And with warranted 7500 to 35,000 miles on an oil change, it becomes cost effective and saves a lot of time. And many notice lower temperatures, better shifting and better gas mileage to boot!
it didn't make a bit of difference on the mileage on either of our bikes the RT of the K1200 then again I had tweaked everything possible already for mileage

it did seem to show one bar less temp on the RT in stop and go traffic in fl during august, HOWEVER there was nothing scientific ever done to prove that, IOW I never took temp readings with any type of accurate thermometer to prove it was the oil before or after the switch to amsoil

again

even becoming a dealer buying 4 cases at a time I could not buy amsoiled for under (I think it was 7.95) per quart at the time, (a couple years ago) + shipping,
a friend here was already a dealer so I just paid him his 8.45 a quart and I had no shipping to deal with then, and did not have to pay out several hindred at a time. I bet I still have the paper work here someplace to become a dealer.

so 4 bucks a quart I call again BS I have never been able to find amsoil for under 8 bucks a quart

you must be special <g>

I still say it is a waste of cash, go ahead don;t change your oil on a bike that is under warranty like they say per scheduled maintenance. in fact I think everyone should do this, that way if they are any engine problems maybe BMW NA will make more money not having to pay warranty claims and the prices of bikes will come down

Now your selling a load not about the oil, but about the warranty I do not believe for one moment Amsoil would pay for a attorney should BMW NA decline a repair due to lack of scheduled maintenance. remember they do not have to prove oil failure they have to prove maintenance was not done. proving what the cause is becomes very difficult.
go ahead check ever states laws now. go ahead check the Magnuson moss act as well, none cover you if you do not perform the scheduled maintenance

ya know if you only do one oil change a year or longer it;s no big deal, but when you start running two bikes at 30-50k miles a year a piece it gets expensive and still does no better of a job than oil that is less than half the price

that is why I call it snake oil, kind of like the old medicine men traveling selling the castor oil as a cure all

I now have 146k miles on one bike and 76k miles on the rt (when it was traded in) running amsoil. neither were any cleaner inside the engine neither showed any less signs of wear in the valve train, still had a rear main seal fail and the paint still faded

it made the value of bikes no better, I just spent a ton more money over those what 225k miles.

that is just my experience on two bmw motorcycles one R1150 one K1200

YMMV it's your money spend it how you want, but dont feed me a bunch of bs about snake oil

spend 2 bucks a quart or over 8 bucks quart, even buying bmw branded oil changing it every 6k you still save money

one other thing, right now there is 146 k miles on theh tranny and just under 100k on the final drive running nothing but GL5 gear lube, the bike shifts great

Last edited by tmgs; Aug 3rd, 2007 at 6:10 am.
post #47 of 54 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 6:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_E
Like I said, it all comes from Dinosoars, & not some kind of magic.
well not really, it is more of a phrase,

There is general agreement in mainstream science that petroleum originated when organic matter in ancient muds and clays accumulated in subsiding geological basins. This sediment was heated over a period of millions of years as geological processes brought the material deeper underground. The end product depends on just how deep the organic-rich sediments were carried. At 150 - 200 C, natural gas is the end produce. At 60 - 150 C, oils are produced, and leach out of the rocks to form pockets that get trapped between impermeable layers of shale.

The geologic period when petroleum deposits can form depends on a balance between sufficient sources of organic material ( trees, plants etc with waxy 'hydrocarbon coatings') and the occurrence of the proper geologic subsidence and trapping processes. Deposits found in Precambrian rocks are rare, as are deposits in the much more recent Pleistocene 'rocks'. However, tar deposits are found in the latter rocks such as the famous 'La Brea Tar Pits' in southern California. It takes several million years for the petroleum

another more interesting read

http://www.enviroliteracy.org/article.php/1130.html

so are we really running out of oil?

it has been said several times lately we are not, the earth is producing more. there are many articles on the fact

have fun with research

hehehe, big oil companies just want us to have fear!

<grin>
post #48 of 54 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 6:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomK12LT
Tim, Im interested in hearing more about Amsoil. How can I get some and what do you use in the K1200LT motor, tranny, and final drive? Do they make filters for the BMW 1200LT? Thanks in advance.
I use the Amsoil 20W50 synthetic motorcycle oil in the motor, 75W90 synthetic gear lube in the transmission and final drive. Some people's manuals list heavier transmission and final drive oil, so double check yours. Amsoil also has 75W110 and 75W140 and some people here use those.

They make a great nanofiber oil filter for the K1200's. Part # EaO122. They filter smaller particles, hold more dirt for double BMW extended oil filter change intervals, and flow better than other filters. They also make air filters for Harleys and Harley K&N, and Gold Wings. Unfortunately for us, not the K1200LT. If you are interested in one, I'll contact Amsoil and tell them. The more people that want one for an application, the more likely and the sooner they will make one. It is a dry, reusable (100,000 mile) synthetic media that filters smaller particles, holds more dirt and flows better than any other filter on the market.
post #49 of 54 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 7:53 am

Quote:
so 4 bucks a quart I call again BS I have never been able to find amsoil for under 8 bucks a quart
<g>
remember they do not have to prove oil failure they have to prove maintenance was not done. proving what the cause is becomes very difficult.
go ahead check ever states laws now. go ahead check the Magnuson moss act as well, none cover you if you do not perform the scheduled maintenance
I work to get the lowest prices for my customers. Many people have their own business or have influence on those who do. For those people, I can set up a Commercial account. They can purchase Amsoil's API certified 5W20, 5W30, 10W30, 10W40 synthetic oils for $4.00 a quart. Others can buy it at $4.30 a quart. They can also buy Amsoil's 25,000 mile motor oil at $4.90 a quart, the synthetic European oil at $4.95 a quart, 5W40 API CJ4+ synthetic oil for 2007 and newer diesels for $4.85 a quart, synthetic diesel 15W40 for $4.55 a quart, synthetic blend diesel oil for 3.95 a quart. They can also buy the synthetic 20W50 motorcycle oil for $5.95 a quart, and $5.73 a quart by the gallon bottle. So call it BS if you want, just make sure it stands for Big Savings!

Amsoil has never voided a factory warranty in the 35 years they have recommended ignoring factory maintenance intervals and recommended extending oil change intervals to up to 35,000 miles. That is because the warranty laws protect them. The factory maintenance intervals are determined by running minimum spec oils that meet the warranty requirements. Not for Amsoil synthetics that greatly exceed the minimum performance oil standards. Amsoil has over 1.6 million accounts and has no warranty issues listed with the Better Business Bureau.

The following info was found on Amsoil's website.

“If engine damage otherwise covered by warranty
was found to be unrelated to the engine lubricant,
then the consumer’s practice with regard to oil
change intervals would not be a relevant consideration,
and the warranty claim would be honored.”
Fuels and Lubricants Division,
General Motors Research Laboratories

If used engine oil is discarded without an independent analysis,
the dealership and vehicle manufacturer lose their evidence
to support a claim that the oil, and not a mechanical
problem, caused the failure. For example, sludge may be
formed through several avenues, not all related to the
oil’s performance. Antifreeze contamination or nitration due
to poor electronic sensor performance may cause sludge,
and both may be directly related to a defect in vehicle manufacture
or workmanship, but clearly neither may be
blamed on the oil.

“The New Vehicle Warranty would not be void
simply because an owner failed to use proper
engine oils or did not perform maintenance at the
prescribed intervals. Warranty applicability is contingent
upon the cause of failure.”
Service Policies and Procedures Department,
General Motors Corporation

• Cause of failure is paramount to warranty claim payment.
Vehicle manufacturers warrant their products to be free of defect in manufacture or workmanship. In order to avoid
paying a warranty claim, a vehicle manufacturer must show a failure is not due to a defect in the manufacture or workmanship
of the vehicle. The manufacturer may not arbitrarily blame a failure on the consumer’s practice of changing
oil at extended intervals.

• The AMSOIL warranty assumes protection where the vehicle warranty stops.
AMSOIL offers complete protection to its customers through the finest line of lubricants and filters available and through
the unique AMSOIL warranty. Customers following AMSOIL recommendations are protected by the AMSOIL warranty
if they experience a failure caused by an AMSOIL product and the vehicle manufacturer won’t honor its warranty.
post #50 of 54 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 8:35 am

Just for the record, I do use Amsoil in the crankcase, and have been using it for a considerable time. I use the BMW filters however, and change my oil and filter at around 10000 or slighty higher. I haven't been using Amsoil in the rear drive because the guy I get it from can't seem to get it for me unless I order a whole case. It would take me years to use a case of it. I don't mind paying more for Synethic oil and changing it less often. Money wise they work out about the same, and I do feel like synthetic oil is superior in dissipating heat and fighting viscosity breakdown.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in