LED brake lite on K/LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 11:21 am Thread Starter

LED brake lite on K/LT

Need tech input for adding a "bright" LED brake lite to the back of my '05 K/LT. Been told, "warned", that adding such other stuff, might upset the signal integrated into the ABS. I don't have a clue and looking for who knows.

Just don't want to get clobbered in the rain and fog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 11:54 am
Senior Member (ret.)

Based on your question, I assume you do not have the top rack on the top box.

Open your top case, remove the screws that hold the mirror and storage in place. There should be two wires that are stubbed out there and these are used for connecting the top rack integrated LED light bar.

For an aftermarket LED light bar, you may have to change the connectors on either side and you are done.

If you want to make your LED light bar a decelerating pattern flashing brake light (4-3-2-solid), there are two products:

Kisan tailBlazer - this makes the LED light bar a running light at half power and a flashing brake light. www.kisantech.com

Rider West - Brake Flasher decelerating pattern, without running light. www.riderwest.com

They both go inline between the existing wires and the LED light bar. The Kisan is made for the top rack OEM LED light bar. The Rider West necessitates cutting the stock connector off and using bullet connectors - that is, it should work with most aftermarket LED light bars by cutting the two wire connectors off on each side.

LED light bars are available from:

www.signaldynamics.com

and I am sure several other places.

Hope this helps.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy

Last edited by RaffyK; Jul 31st, 2007 at 12:27 pm. Reason: spelling
post #3 of 21 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 12:22 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

As long as you stay away from the circuit that feeds the center running light you will be OK. That is the only circuit that is monitored by the ABS. The two brake/running lights on either side are not monitored.As Raffy said the pigtail in the top case is also a good place to get the brake signal, I used it for a home made brake/running light that is attached to the top of the top case at the backrest.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 1:17 pm

Lightbulb

I bought from a member in this site a Brake! unit designed for the LT and installed it on my 05. It is programable, and does not affect the ABS system. I get a lot of comments on how bright my tail light is and how much attention I get when I hit the brakes.
http://www.homebody-design.com/catalog/brake/brake.html
The product is manufactured in Canada.
During installation I found that I had to sand paper the openings for the bulbs as they are a tad larger than stock (took all of 5 minutes).

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 2:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
I bought from a member in this site a Brake! unit designed for the LT and installed it on my 05. It is programable, and does not affect the ABS system. I get a lot of comments on how bright my tail light is and how much attention I get when I hit the brakes.
During installation I found that I had to sand paper the openings for the bulbs as they are a tad larger than stock (took all of 5 minutes).
That looks like the units my dealer was demoing when I bought my bike. I liked it so much I had him replace all three brake lights. Now when I hit the brakes it looks like my rear end exploded. A number of people have commented on how attention getting it is.

Bruce

Bruce Buchner
2017 R1200RT Platinum Bronze Metallic
2012 R1200RT Fluid Grey Metallic (Little Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2007 K1200LT Storm Grey Metallic (Big Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2001 325XI 4dr Sold
1967 2000CS Coupe (Left it in Germany)
post #6 of 21 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 8:32 pm

BRAKE! LED Replacement Tail Light/Brake Light

Replaced the factory lights with the BRAKE! LED Replacement Tail Light/Brake Light.
Bought mine at BMW-Ducati-Triumph of Charlotte (NC).
Also saw them at Capitol BMW (Raleigh, NC) Morton's (VA) and Bob's BMW (MD).

Five minutes to install.
Snaps in, replacing the stock bulbs.
Below is the link to the light at Sierra BMW (NV).

http://www.sierrabmw.bigstep.com/ite...5&PRID=1547491

Big difference.
Pulsates (slow or fast, your choice), then glows steady.
post #7 of 21 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 7:05 am

+1 for the BRAKE! product. Top notch in every respect.

Steve
Granada Hills CA
2005 K1200LT Dark Graphite Metallic
post #8 of 21 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 5:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
I have to agree. I purchased the same setup at the BMWMOA Rally.

It has an adjustable time for the blinking of the brake lite. ! sec, 1.5 sec, 2 sec or off - no blinking at all.
post #9 of 21 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 3:34 pm

How many LED´s do you get with a kit ?

I presume 2 to be able to change both the original bulbs correct ?.
post #10 of 21 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 12:10 pm

In order to provide the benefit of brighter tail lights and much brighter brake lights, I designed P3 Lights. They allow you to keep your stock tail light intact and so avoid any CAN-bus issues. The additonal lights also give you a larger lit area and, as well as redundancy.

They are fully K1200LT compatible. Click on the photo for more details.

post #11 of 21 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 12:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskene
In order to provide the benefit of brighter tail lights and much brighter brake lights, I designed P3 Lights. They allow you to keep your stock tail light intact and so avoid any CAN-bus issues. The additonal lights also give you a larger lit area and, as well as redundancy.
+1 on the P3. I bought a set at the CCR silent auction and put them on my wife's Burgman. They also have a running light feature that flickers the led's at high speed, and it's an attention grabber.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #12 of 21 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 3:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buchnerb
Now when I hit the brakes it looks like my rear end exploded.

Bruce

Ewwwwww - don't need that mental image!

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #13 of 21 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 3:10 pm

Because of my irrational fear of being hit from behind, the first 'farkle' I purchased for my bike was the Kisan Tail light modulator - from Raffy's company - which I recommend highly for his service. I think just about every LT Rider here that saw it purchased one too. I also think it is one of the best dollar for safety values available for the LT - mostly because of the placement of the LED light bar on the trunk. As a safety / value thing, this is only slightly better than the $.35 John Rehder center rear brake light activation - which he did on my bike at a service session long ago.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #14 of 21 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 10:02 pm

John said:

"+1 on the P3. I bought a set at the CCR silent auction and put them on my wife's Burgman. They also have a running light feature that flickers the led's at high speed, and it's an attention grabber."

Glad you like the P3 Lights, John. I was curious about who the winning bidder at CCR was.

post #15 of 21 Old Sep 20th, 2007, 6:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskene
John said:

"+1 on the P3. I bought a set at the CCR silent auction and put them on my wife's Burgman. They also have a running light feature that flickers the led's at high speed, and it's an attention grabber."

Glad you like the P3 Lights, John. I was curious about who the winning bidder at CCR was.
I had been looking for something for her Burgie for a while, and when I saw the P3 system I knew that was it. I put my bid at the retail price to give myself a good chance of winning. Thanks for your donation for the kids!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #16 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 12:15 pm

Re: LED brake lite on K/LT

Has anyone installed a set of these P3 lights on their LT? I just bought a set and was hoping someone had already installed then and could give me some pointers. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks........

Bill
post #17 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 1:19 pm

www.hyperlite.com

Silly bright.
post #18 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 10:22 pm

A few weeks ago, I put the Kisan Tailblazer on my 04LT. It has the existing LED bar as a running light and then flashes when the brake is applied. I think it is great because I didn't have to add anymore LED's. At the same time I added the Kisan modulating headlight. I have a larger concern of someone turning infront of me than being hit in the rear.

Ride 'em if you got 'em.
post #19 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 11:52 pm

I did the Brake! LED kit too, the problem is that right now they are in short supply. So, they can be hard to find. E-Bay had one or two recently, but they wanted $50 more than I paid for them.

The nice thing about them is that they are three seperate bulbs. Center and two satallite bulbs. They really do a nice job. Better than anything else I have seen on the market bar none.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #20 of 21 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 1:43 pm

I just put a set of the Brake! led lights on my '05 - they're great! I bought them at the BMWMOA rally over the weekend from Santa Cruz BMW - they have them on a closeout. If you order them make sure to ask for a set with the resistor on the master module - you'll need it on your '05!! (I tried the "regular" set and had a taillight fault appear and the resistor type works perfectly). They worked so well and were such at such a great price my buddy bought a set for his '05LT too!!!
post #21 of 21 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 10:23 pm

Talking Re: LED brake lite on K/LT

I'm not going to assume anything. I use the Brake! LED accessory light. It needed a resistor to be added for the monitoring system to work correctly. I am very happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldracer1943
Need tech input for adding a "bright" LED brake lite to the back of my '05 K/LT. Been told, "warned", that adding such other stuff, might upset the signal integrated into the ABS. I don't have a clue and looking for who knows.

Just don't want to get clobbered in the rain and fog.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in