Synthetic oil ?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 10:59 am Thread Starter
mos

Synthetic oil ??

Just pick up a 05 LT . What a great bike and I came from a R1200RT. Anyone using synthetic oil ? When { how many miles} did you start using it and what brand / weight. Also is changing oil on the LT a big deal ?
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 11:05 am

I understand that if you LT 2005 has the electric center stand, you will have a little more work to change oil, but other than that, engine oil is easy. One big screw for drain, 3 little one for the oil filter.
I'm normally done with it in about 20 minutes work, divided in two sections of 6 minutes to open the drain and oil filter, 30 minutes waiting for drain out, 15 minutes to close and fill it up.

Now, changing to synthetic I'm not so sure any more. I my self are planing to go back to mineral oil.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 11:06 am

I've never used any synthetic oil in mine yet (~18,000 miles) but there are a number of threads on the subject here.

It's not hard to chance the oil at all. Check out the articles at the top of the page, and you'll find instructions that will walk you right through it.

Here's the link to the oil change.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/articles...rticle&artid=4

post #4 of 14 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 12:18 pm

On the 05 or later you have to remove the skid plate. Takes 10 minutes to R&R that.
post #5 of 14 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 12:28 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

My dealer (LoneStar BMW ) said not to use synth till after 18,000 miles. That is what I did with no problems so far.

I use Castrol full synth 20w50 in motor & valvoline full synth 75w90 in trans & final drive

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 14 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 12:50 pm

Started with Amsoil synthetic 20W50 motorcycle oil and Amsoil EaO22 filter on my 2006 LT at 600 miles. Next oil and filter change was at 13,000 miles. Now nearing 25,000 miles so will do my 3rd oil oil and filter change. Used this oil and schedule for my 2000 LT and went 137,000 till I sold it and bought this 2006 LT. There was no visible wear or varnish under the valve cover and it never needed a valve adjustment.
post #7 of 14 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 1:03 pm

On my 05 I switched to BMW Synthetic at 13K miles.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #8 of 14 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 1:28 pm

Oil Type for an LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos
Just pick up a 05 LT . What a great bike and I came from a R1200RT. Anyone using synthetic oil ? When { how many miles} did you start using it and what brand / weight. Also is changing oil on the LT a big deal ?
Mike
Bought a new 2006 LT August 2006 and used only BMW dino 20W50, including winter months, but garage is 10F warmer than outside. That, and a careful breakin are probably why I had no discernable oil use (changed at 600, 3K, and about to have 6K done, and the level is "stuck" in the middle of the sight glass. Not to content to stick with a good thing, I'm going to change to BMW synthetic 15W50.

Can't help you with the DIY oil change. Recommend you read the paper on motorcycle oils at <http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf>
post #9 of 14 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 2:20 pm

Oil source--Red Line Oil

www.racerpartswholesale.com

Go to Motorcycle Division

Red Line Oil (new motorcycle oil) in stock --same day shipping.

Put code MOS10 in to order and get an additional 10% off.

Tom Volk

Full disclosure: I own Racer Parts Wholesale. We are selling oil and other products (Jiffy Tite quick disconnects --for example) to Forum members.
post #10 of 14 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 2:37 pm

Can you tell us more about the new Red Line motorcycle oil? I've heard about it but know no one that has used it. Why did Red Line decide to come out with a motorcycle specific oil when they used to recommend their general purpose oil?

What is the base oil? Petroleum, PAO, ester?

What is the recommended change interval? Does it come with a parts and labor warranty should the oil fail?

Any comparison data with other oil?

Can you post a link to the tech data sheet and MSDS?

What is the JASO rating for a wet clutch? B, MA, MA2, other?

Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
post #11 of 14 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 4:02 pm

I wuz over on the Red Line oil website here and reading thru the info. Seems most items refer to ester-based. I wuz wondering why you asked about the JASO rating for a wet clutch, when the LTs have a dry clutch system?

I'm heading back to their website and finish looking around - just wondering if it holds the answers to your question, Tim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVipond
Can you tell us more about the new Red Line motorcycle oil? I've heard about it but know no one that has used it. Why did Red Line decide to come out with a motorcycle specific oil when they used to recommend their general purpose oil?

What is the base oil? Petroleum, PAO, ester?

What is the recommended change interval? Does it come with a parts and labor warranty should the oil fail?

Any comparison data with other oil?

Can you post a link to the tech data sheet and MSDS?

What is the JASO rating for a wet clutch? B, MA, MA2, other?

Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
post #12 of 14 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 5:10 pm

Hi Dick,

I was wondering about the JASO wet clutch rating, which seems to be JASO MB. I found that odd because most wet clutch bikes require the higher JASO MA or even higher JASO MA2, as do the wet clutch BMW's (non-LT's). As an avid motorcyclist, retired oil company chemist, and now part time oil salesman, I am often asked my opinion on motor oils. I am glad to see they are using the older API SJ, SG, & SH formulations as these make for better motorcycle oils than the latest API SM oils.
post #13 of 14 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 7:37 pm

Synthetics

At the signing of the deal, I had to ask when I could use synthetics because I use Synthetics across the board in all my vehicles. The BMW dealer said to wait until 18k. Sheesh, it felt like a long engagement, but I waited.

When the blessed day came, it felt like we finally consecrated our relationship together.
Synthetic is that good.
post #14 of 14 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 10:49 pm

Have an '03 and used Castrol until 18K. First change went to mobil 1 v-twin with the BMW filter for 6K. Now I am ready for Amsoil that was just delivered to my door (thanks Tim) the other day... Just put some Amsoil gear oil in the final drive.. Tomorrow, it goes in the tranny and 20W-50 Synthetic will go in the crank case !!!

I hear Amsoil will do 12K... I am not sure I want to go that long. But, after I use my left over BMW filters, who knows. Maybe i'll get some amsoil filters and give 12K a try..

18K conversion to Synthetic is what our two local dealers in Denver are saying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in