Anyone know of a stolen K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 12:58 pm Thread Starter

Anyone know of a stolen K1200LT

From a previously "hijacked" thread I asked the above question in regards to a hidden key on the bike. Just curious, as I leave my key in the ignition most of the time, does anyone have first hand knowledge of this happening?

Buying a 1999 model for way below list from your neighbor does not constitute stolen!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 1:36 pm

Had the same thought...

I leave my key in all the time, unless I'm overnight some where. When I stop for lunch, I take my jacket off and cover the tankbag, gps and key. I never lock my saddlebags or trunk either unless it's overnight somewhere, then I strip it!

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448
post #3 of 47 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 1:43 pm

Having learned to ride in Paris I always lock the bike, and since my 05 has central locking I also Always lock the bags as well.
My GPS on the BMR shelf has a lock mount as well. I usually lock the helmets too.
Locks keep honest people honest, and the last thing you want is to have one or both helmets stolen while you are 100s of miles away from home, especially in a state with helmet law.
I learned the hard way...
With that said I am not too fearful on the "truck" being taken, thanks to its weight. I am more concerned about the gear on and about the bike.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 47 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 1:49 pm

I like to lock mine and most times I will set the alarm as also.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need to stay awake

post #5 of 47 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 2:05 pm

Don't know - I've never left a bike unlocked - bags/forks/disk.... and if I'm off of it for more than an hour, I always cover it too...

I had one of my Techs at Oregon Health & Science Hospital riding a stock HD, less than a year old, with a chain in the ft rim - have it stolen from the COVERED employee parking lot - in view of cameras. Truck had the plates off & thieves never showed a face....
post #6 of 47 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 2:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
From a previously "hijacked" thread I asked the above question in regards to a hidden key on the bike. Just curious, as I leave my key in the ignition most of the time, does anyone have first hand knowledge of this happening?

Buying a 1999 model for way below list from your neighbor does not constitute stolen!
It seems to me that leaving the key in the ignition is asking for trouble. I lock everything.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #7 of 47 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 2:38 pm

I used to lock mine all the time when I first got it. Now I seldom even take the key with me. I do lock up my riding gear if I don't feel comfortable where I stop - but that just depends. I am especially wary at dealerships.

I have offered to let H-D riding friends take test rides on my LT but they always decline because: it's too big, I ain't riding nothin I can't see the front tire on (my favorite), don't want to ride no Jap/German/Italian bike, ......... . Given it would take someone that either owned one or worked for a dealership that would feel comfortable riding one so I don't think it would be an impulse thing. And, other than parting one out - how are they going to get rid of it. Knowing how cheap BMW riders are, they would have to fight for every dollar for every part - and pay the shipping.

Wonder if the insurance companies would share their loss information with us regarding LT thefts?

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #8 of 47 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 2:45 pm

I never leave my key in it, when Iam not on it.
post #9 of 47 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 3:33 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I want to trust people, but experience tells me otherwise.

We had our locked K100LT saddlebags and trunk broken into in Paris and our helmets and other stuff stolen. Dayle says the most terrifying thing she's done was riding back through Paris traffic at midnight with no helmets.

On the LT, I always kept a cable or chain behind the passenger seat with my cover. When traveling, it took only a minute to lock the helmets and jackets through the saddlebag handles (bags were usually full when on the road) then throw on the cover. That way, we could have lunch or do the tourist stuff at leisure and without carrying or worrying about anything.

I usually won't bother with the alarm, unless I'm parked overnight at some random motel.

Sure, most people are trustworthy and you may never have a problem. But then again, it only takes one jerk to ruin your whole day.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 47 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 7:27 pm

I've never "heard" of an LT stolen,
but it seems leaving the key is an invitation for some moron to "try it out"

I don't think I'd want to tell the insurance company "I left the key in it"
they probably have some "fine print" regarding that.

I had a Harley stolen in Phoenix back in 1974, that changed my perspective "forever"
And then there was that time when I came out of a bar and somebody was trying to kickstart my HD (forks were locked, ignition wasn't)
He was dealt with appropriately....... lets just call it "frontier justice"

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #11 of 47 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 7:49 pm

Never heard of a stolen LT, but leaving the key in the ignition could be considered negligence if the bike was stolen by a someone and crashed causing serious injury or death. Here in Charlotte, NC it is illegal to leave your car runnning with the keys in the ignition.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #12 of 47 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 8:15 pm

Where's my key? They stole my KEY and my BIKE!!!!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #13 of 47 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 8:55 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I have lost two bikes to thieves, they ain't gona get this one! I lock it but I have a spare key in a strategic place. Set the central locking and if it is a suspect area I also set the alarm (not that anyone pays attention to it when it goes off).

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #14 of 47 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 9:04 pm

I've ridden one like it's stolen!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #15 of 47 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 9:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
I have lost two bikes to thieves, they ain't gona get this one! I lock it but I have a spare key in a strategic place. Set the central locking and if it is a suspect area I also set the alarm (not that anyone pays attention to it when it goes off).
I'm not gonna make it easy for 'em, so at a motel or someplace away from home, I remove the key; lock the lockable thangs; put ole Toad in reverse; fit the EZ Touring Wanderer cover on and go to sleep. To me, this removes any doubt that I did what I can do, and Mr/Mrs insurance person can git on with gittin' on. No spare key on ole Toad - it's in my wallet. BTW - I haven't any first hand knowledge, nor anecdotal, that anyone I know has had their bike stolen. I used to maintain a link to a website that supposedly keeps up with that info - not sure how current they kept it tho. And obviously, I can't find it now!!
post #16 of 47 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 9:42 pm

I hate scumbags!

Why give sub-humans a free pass to making your life more complicated and expensive? Maybe one of them will get hurt riding off with your bike a sue your a$$.

On base, I lock and alarm my bike everyday w/o exception.

At home, my bike stays locked and alarmed inside the garage so if someone messes with it while I'm not home, the alarm could alert a neighbor or scare off the perp. I do this with all my vehicles as well.

The keys to all the vehicles stay locked in the safe while not in use, so the piece of human excrement can't ride off with any of my vehicles. I really hate human excrements!
post #17 of 47 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 10:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Never heard of a stolen LT, but leaving the key in the ignition could be considered negligence if the bike was stolen by a someone and crashed causing serious injury or death. Here in Charlotte, NC it is illegal to leave your car runnning with the keys in the ignition.
Very unfortunate but true the parents of some joy ridding thief may end up with most your assets if you leave the key in the ignition and the kid crashes or gets killed - it's your fault, because you enticed them to a life of crime.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

post #18 of 47 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 11:29 pm

I doubt if the average bike thief could steal an LT, unless he had previous experience. The bike would be on it's side within 100 yards.

2006 LT
Times dropped(so far): 2
2006 FZ-1
Speeding tickets(so far): 0

IBA

"Four things greater than all things are,-
Women and Horses and Power and War." Rudyard Kipling
post #19 of 47 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 1:41 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneShot
Why give sub-humans a free pass to making your life more complicated and expensive? Maybe one of them will get hurt riding off with your bike a sue your a$$.

On base, I lock and alarm my bike everyday w/o exception.

At home, my bike stays locked and alarmed inside the garage so if someone messes with it while I'm not home, the alarm could alert a neighbor or scare off the perp. I do this with all my vehicles as well.

The keys to all the vehicles stay locked in the safe while not in use, so the piece of human excrement can't ride off with any of my vehicles. I really hate human excrements!
Knoxville must be a crime-ridden craphole, either that or you're paranoid.

. . . not that there is anything wrong with that.

Heracleitus

'12 Victory Cross Country Vivian Vader
'07 LT
die Blau Frau SOLD!
MBW-MOA Member #140221
post #20 of 47 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 2:33 am

Greetings all

When I'm forced to stay overnight in an area less savoury than some, I select reverse and take the round selector with me. It's a very minor inconvenience to make things a little harder for those that would target the Bismarck.

Kindest regards to all.

Paul Harrington
AU
E: [email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #21 of 47 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 6:50 am

I Always Lock and Alarm

My standard stopping procedure is to lock the forks, put the key in the oddments box, put the GPS and helmet in the trunk and then lock and set the alarm with the key fob. I have a spare key attached to the key along with the GPS screwdriver.

On my 07 as far as I know you can't start it without the fob but I don't want anybody fooling around trying. They get frustrated and may damage something out of spite.

Bruce

Bruce Buchner
2017 R1200RT Platinum Bronze Metallic
2012 R1200RT Fluid Grey Metallic (Little Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2007 K1200LT Storm Grey Metallic (Big Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2001 325XI 4dr Sold
1967 2000CS Coupe (Left it in Germany)
post #22 of 47 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 6:58 am

Man. Y'all go thru a lot of work.

Get off bike. Stick Glock in waist band at small of back.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #23 of 47 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 6:59 am

When ever I need parts for my bike, if I see a bike. I pull over and see if the key is in it, if not then I can just start it with a quarter
OH my fault, thats on HD's
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #24 of 47 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 7:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
When ever I need parts for my bike, if I see a bike. I pull over and see if the key is in it, if not then I can just start it with a quarter
OH my fault, thats on HD's
Rock
I've tried that and had a helluva time. I kept dropping one of the dimes.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #25 of 47 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 8:43 am
Bouncer

I believe the only stolen LT story that has ever been shared in the history of this forum was a guy in North Carolina that had an entire garage full of collectable motorcycles stolen. I would assume the thieves were interested in the exotic bikes in the collection and the LT was taken because it was in with the rest.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #26 of 47 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 9:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offwego
I leave my key in all the time, unless I'm overnight some where. When I stop for lunch, I take my jacket off and cover the tankbag, gps and key. I never lock my saddlebags or trunk either unless it's overnight somewhere, then I strip it!
I'm about the same here. If I stop at a restaurant or to pay for my fuel, the helmet is sitting on the dash and I usually leave the key in it. Going in to a store or mall, I will put my helmet in the trunk and take the key with me but I usually do not lock it. At a motel, I lock it and press the alarm.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #27 of 47 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 10:02 am
ajs

Been ridin' Beemers for 30 years. Never locked a one, never had one stolen either. One of the reasons I bought the first one is because someone told me no one ever steals a Beemer, it ain't shiny enough. For my latest, an '05 LT, I bought an attachment thingy for the back of the key that I attached a BMW roundel to that manages to disguise it quite nicely. Bike never locked, bags never locked, key in the ignition even when I travel to other parts of the continent. (I have been many places too) So far so good. Minimal hassle and I have a great time riding. I must say though, I have never ridden in Paris. Oh yes! I have never heard of one being stolen.
post #28 of 47 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 7:17 pm

In life, there are some people who are just begging for a wedgie
post #29 of 47 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 7:35 pm Thread Starter

difficult to steal

It just seems to me that it would be quite difficult to steal a K1200LT. I don't leave my helmet on the bike except for short stops and my bike is pretty stock. I would not leave the GPS out overnight but in general the key is always in it.

I think if someone really wanted my bike, they would not be driving it off. Probably try to load it on a truck. (I'd love to watch that!) I may be nieve, but as I stated in the original message, I haven't heard of a K1200LT stolen in the US and as others have said, why take it? There is not much of a market for parts and the community is quite small.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #30 of 47 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 7:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
I would assume the thieves were interested in the exotic bikes in the collection and the LT was taken because it was in with the rest.
Thats what they wanted everyone to think, but the fact is (at least I like to think so because I now ride one) is that was all a cover story so they could get their hands on an LT
Rock
PS, WITH A GOOD FINAL DRIVE

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #31 of 47 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 1:47 am
apk

I am amazed, I would never consider leaving the key in, surely thats asking for trouble ? As someone said given the weight it would probably be on its side within 100yds, but would you really want that ?

Why put temptation in the way, don't be lazy remove the key, you know it makes sense !
post #32 of 47 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 4:27 am

I have often times put my faith in society only to be let down eventually. After moving to Atlanta I had someone walk into my open garage on a Sunday afternoon and take my bikes while I was inside doing something else. I used to leave my doors unlocked in the house quite often but here lately I hear on the news about home invasions in nice neighborhoods in Atlanta.

My two cents is not to create opportunities for people to make stupid decisions with during a moment of weakness or you'll eventually be disappointed.
post #33 of 47 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 8:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle
My two cents is not to create opportunities for people to make stupid decisions with during a moment of weakness or you'll eventually be disappointed.
I hear you! Last Saturday I had a tech session, so I left the gate to our land open. A Jehovah's Witness came onto our property and gave Dick a pamplet!!

-=grif=-

Grok
post #34 of 47 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I hear you! Last Saturday I had a tech session, so I left the gate to our land open. A Jehovah's Witness came onto our property and gave Dick a pamplet!!
Did he convert them????

Craig

BMWMOA #113448
post #35 of 47 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offwego
Did he convert them????
When I walked around to the front yard, I found 'em huddled at the front door. When I told 'em we were all 'round back, working on motorcycles, the oldest lady looked down her nose at me and asked "what kinda bikes would that be?" I sed, "no ma'am - not whatcher thinkin'. They're BMWs." She raised her eyebrows and said "Oh, they're very nice!!!" Then told me she wuz just handing out invitations to a revival event; "would I be interested?"

So, I signed Grif's name and took the flyer so's he'd have the address!!
post #36 of 47 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 3:40 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
When I walked around to the front yard, I found 'em huddled at the front door. When I told 'em we were all 'round back, working on motorcycles, the oldest lady looked down her nose at me and asked "what kinda bikes would that be?" I sed, "no ma'am - not whatcher thinkin'. They're BMWs." She raised her eyebrows and said "Oh, they're very nice!!!" Then told me she wuz just handing out invitations to a revival event; "would I be interested?"

So, I signed Grif's name and took the flyer so's he'd have the address!!
Good on ya Dick! Lookin out for your fellow Biker like that! Does Grif know how fortunate he is to have such friends?

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #37 of 47 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 5:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Good on ya Dick! Lookin out for your fellow Biker like that! Does Grif know how fortunate he is to have such friends?

John
I dunno, John. He hasn't called to offer to come by, pick me up, and go to the revival with him.
post #38 of 47 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 7:44 pm

Quote:
I dunno, John. He hasn't called to offer to come by, pick me up, and go to the revival with him.
That's because I've arranged to have the revival sent to you. That's right! For one glorious week, at your house, there will be singing, praying, preaching, folks sweating in the yard. Tell Cheryl she better whip up a beeeeeeeg batch of them chocolate peanut butter thangs.

BTW, Sandy and Amy got home from the coast and you'da thought them gal's hadn't eaten in a week. They smoothe devastated that plate of peanut butter chocolate thangs..... and washed it down with Michelob Ultra

-=grif=-

Grok
post #39 of 47 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 9:32 pm

Quote:
That's because I've arranged to have the revival sent to you. That's right! For one glorious week, at your house, there will be singing, praying, preaching, folks sweating in the yard. Tell Cheryl she better whip up a beeeeeeeg batch of them chocolate peanut butter thangs.
Hey, we're used to that - right across the street is a Tarot card reader (must be 88 yrs old, minimum) and when she gits thru the seance mode, the front door flings open and she and her 'clients' commence to dancin' in the yard, chantin' and sweatin' and eatin' grass and some of 'em even doin' handstands. I wuz gonna have some tickets printed up and put a booth at the end of the street and make me a leetle spendin' cash --- butt dang, I noticed all the neighbors were fleein'; guess I'll charge an exit fee instead!!

Quote:
BTW, Sandy and Amy got home from the coast and you'da thought them gal's hadn't eaten in a week. They smoothe devastated that plate of peanut butter chocolate thangs..... and washed it down with Michelob Ultra
Unhhhh - them two got tastes 'bout like Cheryl - WEIRD!! Course, Cheryl would pass on them peanut better chocolate thangs, cuz she's never eaten a piece of chocolate, butt she might do damage to a Michelob; expecially if it said 'white zinfandel' on the bottle!!
post #40 of 47 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 6:52 am Thread Starter

what a way to keep a thread alive!

Quote:
Hey, we're used to that - right across the street is a Tarot card reader (must be 88 yrs old, minimum) and when she gits thru the seance mode, the front door flings open and she and her 'clients' commence to dancin' in the yard, chantin' and sweatin' and eatin' grass and some of 'em even doin' handstands. I wuz gonna have some tickets printed up and put a booth at the end of the street and make me a leetle spendin' cash --- butt dang, I noticed all the neighbors were fleein'; guess I'll charge an exit fee instead!!

Unhhhh - them two got tastes 'bout like Cheryl - WEIRD!! Course, Cheryl would pass on them peanut better chocolate thangs, cuz she's never eaten a piece of chocolate, butt she might do damage to a Michelob; expecially if it said 'white zinfandel' on the bottle!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Guess I'll remove temptation and take the key with me.... probably forget which pocket it's stored in and have to use my "hidden" key that everyone knows about. At least I could ask this board where it is if I forget.

Off to the fish tank..........

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #41 of 47 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 9:13 am

I usually take the key out but seldom lock it.

What would you do with a stolen LT. There isn't any parts market to speak of. We don't build our bikes like the custom crowd and we tend not to smash the body work like the crotch rocket bunch. Who would buy the parts?

Really, what kid would want to take the LT for a joy ride? It's too big and not nearly as visually appealing as a Ninja or a H-D.

I'm more concerned with someone knocking it over.

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
post #42 of 47 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob204bc
I usually take the key out but seldom lock it.

What would you do with a stolen LT. There isn't any parts market to speak of. We don't build our bikes like the custom crowd and we tend not to smash the body work like the crotch rocket bunch. Who would buy the parts?
Yeah, it's a good thing no one here on these forums has ever had to search eBay for a good used final drive, an ABS unit, mirrors.......

Having had my home broken into twice, a car stolen, and coming out of a store with a riding buddy to find some scumbag working the disc brake lock with a bottle of liquid nitrogen (we were told it wasn't nice to dump that on his privates) I always lock up when parked. Won't stop a pro if they really want your property, but it may slow them down enough to give you a shot at retaliation!

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #43 of 47 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:25 am

Anyone know how to flash the message "This bike will self distruct in 60 seconds (flash/flash/...)"?? Then you could leave the key in for fun...
post #44 of 47 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:28 am

Unhappy disc lock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat_n_Telle
....... and coming out of a store with a riding buddy to find some scumbag working the disc brake lock with a bottle of liquid nitrogen ....
Someone was working on your LT disc lock with liquid nitrogen?

Craig

BMWMOA #113448
post #45 of 47 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:11 pm

Thumbs up Engine Immobilizer

At work (max-risk juvenile correctional facility) the key goes in the oddments box and everything locked... security policy -- inconvenient, but thats life

everywhere else, the key stays in the ignition.

Engine immobilizer and alarm is set to auto-activate and fob always in pocket... When parking, by the time I get off and stow away the helmet and gloves, I'll hear the activation tone as I'm walking away.

With the fob secure in pocket, immobilizer and alarm set, the KEY is worthless to a theif! Approaching the bike to get on, a simple press of the fob through the pants pocket unlocks, deactivates, and energizes all the appropriate funtions, ready for take off!

...just in case some idiot does steal the key, I also have a spare in hiding.

Warren
Chipley, FL
'05 LT - Gold
She was a fast machine, She kept her motor clean
She was the best damn woman I had ever seen -- [ac/dc]

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
Yogi Berra
post #46 of 47 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 4:45 pm

In the UK if you leave the key in it you will not get a pay out. Neighbour in our small town left their 3 hour old BMW 5 Series outside the shops and it went. No pay out and not sure her husband was to pleased about it.

Guess he won't buy her such an expensive birthday present next year.
post #47 of 47 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 5:04 pm

I say go ahead leave the key in it, it's only Detroit, I'm sure it will all be here when we get back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in