Golf clubs and the LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 10:59 am Thread Starter

Golf clubs and the LT

Does anybody have any slick methods to haul your clubs to the links?

I don't have, nor want, a trailer.

Tony Williams
San Diego and Africa
2002 LTC black
Cee Bailey windscreen +2"
XM Roady 2
Garmin Zumo 550 GPS
ChatterBox XBi2 bluetooth intercom
Metzler 880's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 11:20 am

I think you're stuck

IMO, without a trailer I think your stuck taking the cage. But I could be wrong.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #3 of 25 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 11:26 am

Try this company! http://home.comcast.net/~thecoolestrack/CoolerRack.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coolrack12.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	795   Click image for larger version

Name:	coolrack42.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	796  

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC

post #4 of 25 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 11:38 am

Dave,

Please don't tell me that is your bike. Wonder what the extra weight on the rear does for handleing??
post #5 of 25 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 11:46 am

Naw, the photos are from the company's web site. Got it off the old BMWLT site. I don't pay golf...takes too much time away from ridin' my champaigne LT and too many cuss words.

I like the ones with the 48 quart cooler on the back. Can you imagine that full of ice and your favoite adult beverages? Instant wheelie and a trip to the pokey!

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #6 of 25 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 12:57 pm

I would bet this rig could get you a ticket. the brake and running lights are clearly obscured.
post #7 of 25 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 1:57 pm

If I can carry a $3000 Taylor acoustic geetar on my back seat...surely you can do the same with a set of clubs. My golf bag has a nice cover that zips over top the heads to insure you wouldn't lose any clubs on a big bump.

I think a $6 bungee net is your solution . . . but what do I know?

Off to church:
post #8 of 25 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 3:18 pm

Joe's right on

I use to tie my my clubs to the Ultra the exact same way. Using the trunk rack was key, you have to make certain the bag couldn't move from side to side. Got allot of "looks" at the Club - it was great!!!

Sorry no pics.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

post #9 of 25 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 9:47 am

Saw this link in Wing World Magazine.

Looks Sharp and less than a set of Jpegs.

http://www.drivelikeapro.com/pages/motorcycles.html#

Larry Rusnak
Wadsworth, Ohio
2002 K1200LTC Pacific Blue
post #10 of 25 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 10:23 am

I have thought about this for a while. Haven't played much golf since I got the LT. I was thinking of scaling down my bag to a lightweight canvas bag and laying the clubs across the back seat. That would keep the center of gravity low and in front of the rear wheel and probably would stick out too far on either side. Tie up the clubs so they don't fly out on the truns of course. I think BMR makes a shelf that goes over the rear seat to give a stable platform. What you do with all the other stuff (shoes, balls, gloves, etc...)is up to you. Or you could store them at the country club.

Adversity builds character.

BMW MOA #: 115771
My rides: '01 K1200LT Black (of course)
'00 BMW 540i (also black)
'76 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 (not black)
'06 Toyota Landcruiser (black again)
post #11 of 25 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 10:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
If I can carry a $3000 Taylor acoustic geetar on my back seat...surely you can do the same with a set of clubs. My golf bag has a nice cover that zips over top the heads to insure you wouldn't lose any clubs on a big bump.

I think a $6 bungee net is your solution . . . but what do I know?

Off to church:
Joe, do you worry about weather issue when you take your expensive guitar? Not just rain, but humidity temperature change that sort of thing. I have been contempating the Martin backpacker guitar as an alternative to my Guild.

post #12 of 25 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 12:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwagner
Joe, do you worry about weather issue when you take your expensive guitar? Not just rain, but humidity temperature change that sort of thing. I have been contempating the Martin backpacker guitar as an alternative to my Guild.
Oh HECK YEA! I wanted to ride to church sooo badly this morning...but I needed to take the Taylor for a new song I was doing, so I caged it. It was about 40 degrees when I left home. I won't strap the Taylor onto the LT in 40 degree weather. The only reason I do take the Taylor in the summer is that I only live about 7-8 minutes away from church. I figure as long as the humidifiers are full, my baby'll be OK for the short trip. I also have a cheaper Alvarez I take when going further. Seems to fare OK enough. As for my electrics and amps and such...that's what cages are for.
post #13 of 25 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 6:52 pm

I see, I guess I thought you were taking it on extended trips. I miss my axe(s)when I am away too long.

post #14 of 25 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 6:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Oh HECK YEA! I wanted to ride to church sooo badly this morning...but I needed to take the Taylor for a new song I was doing, so I caged it. It was about 40 degrees when I left home. I won't strap the Taylor onto the LT in 40 degree weather. The only reason I do take the Taylor in the summer is that I only live about 7-8 minutes away from church. I figure as long as the humidifiers are full, my baby'll be OK for the short trip. I also have a cheaper Alvarez I take when going further. Seems to fare OK enough. As for my electrics and amps and such...that's what cages are for.
That is exactly my situation. Good to see your solution. I won't have my bike until mid-December but all I take to church with me is my Guild F412. It would be great to take the bike. Thanks for sharing.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #15 of 25 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 6:58 pm

Adjustable Club

You could always buy one of these or these. A previous boss used something similar all the time.

'03 Silver LT
'05 Silver F650GS (Wife)
'08 Red R12GS

Last edited by JeffB; Nov 20th, 2005 at 7:35 pm.
post #16 of 25 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 7:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Dave,

Please don't tell me that is your bike. Wonder what the extra weight on the rear does for handleing??
I thought you were talking about the cuddly, furry, motorman that usually is on a Wing. C'mon Dave, smile. You're not still PO'd over our last speed limit thread?

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #17 of 25 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 7:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
I thought you were talking about the cuddly, furry, motorman that usually is on a Wing. C'mon Dave, smile. You're not still PO'd over our last speed limit thread?
John, I have no idea what you are talking about. I don't own or ride a Wing.
No, I am not PO'd over the spedd limit thread. I did hear, however, that you were going 29 in a 25 zone and had to give yourself a ticket.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #18 of 25 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 6:22 am

If i was to try and hold a set of golf club to the rear of my LT, i would use nothing other then Andy strapz.

Forget bungee cords, i had a accident with one once and never again.
Andy strapz are great for a number of reasons. Firstly they are Australian, Secondly they dont have a great metal lug like bungee cords to scar your flesh or take yer eye out, Thridly, they are Australian ;-)

I have 4 of them, 2 long and 2 short. have not used them on my Lite Truck, but i used them all the time on my VFR and in patricular used them on my VFR when i rode it round Australia ,used it did to hold some gear to the rear of my bike, i swear by them.

If they dont do the trick, im sure i could JB weld it to yer ride instead ;-)
post #19 of 25 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 3:59 pm

I just found this site in Autoweek magazine! http://www.drivelikeapro.com/pages/motorcycles.html#

See, John, I am now retired and have too much time on my hands.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Golfbag.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	842  

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #20 of 25 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 4:04 pm

These damn threads/posts/replies get so complicated. Ok, first of all I didn't start the thread on golf. But, I did respond to the wrong guy re: the furry critter which you had no idea of what I am talking about.

Uhhhh, let's see if I can clear it up:
1. Golf bag not for me
2. Furry critter (motorman stuffed animal) was on your bike (I think) and I was referring to it belonging on a GW.
3. I turned myself in cuz I was going 50 in a 45 (max allowed per math is 49.5). They threw me out of the precinct and said if I ever came back they'd turn me into the looney bin!

So much for citizen's arrests!

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #21 of 25 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 4:29 pm
Bouncer

Hell, who needs a Unigo when you can just dump all your stuff in this. You don't even need to use it for golf clubs.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #22 of 25 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 9:14 pm

Clubs....

I simply "strap and go." I use a couple of spider, bungy cords and lay bag across rear seat. I use the handles on the side cases and off i go. My bag is a pretty light weight....sun-mountain sports carry bag.....i put the cover over the heads and put my golf shoes in the trunk. I have traveled about 250 miles to play somewhere left of nowhere, PA.

May not be safest thing, but i'd bet my clubs do less to the handling than most passengers....and as long as they are "strapped," i'm ready to go.....

Best of luck and i'll take some pics for you next time.
post #23 of 25 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 10:50 pm

Re: Golf clubs and the LT

Tony, I hear you loud and clear.
My two passions are golf and riding the LT, and if you love golf it is easy to tie up as much cash in that sport as depreciation of a K1200LT per year. Heck I have over $2,500 in clubs and assessors and drop another $1,500-$2,500 per year in greens. Shoes & clothes can easily go into the saddle bags.

I did see a device on the road once about a year ago (couldnt stop the guy), it was attached to the side of his K1200LT bike. It was at an angle. It looked great, but I have not found one like it. A big golf cart bag on the back of the LT is no good. Bungee cords no good. I too do not want to trailer (safety issues). I continue to drive the car to the golf courses, but would love to find a way to combine both loves. If you find something, drop me a line, I'll do the same.

post #24 of 25 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 2:36 am

*Updated @ 12:37am with pics and additional info.

This might be of some help. http://www.bmrproducts.com/proddetai...2Flatbed&cat=3

I just got one at the 08CCR. I've wanted one since 2005, but just never got around to it, and glad I waited because he's now got a nicer finish on it and I beleive a few more strap holes, and, the BMR Logo is now lasered into the product which is nice looking too.

Its easy to toss on or take off in a hurry by removing two finger knobs (one per side) and provides a nice solid place for just about anything you'd want to carry. Two brackets get installed simply by removing the passenger seat and bolting them in place. Once everything is closed up, you only see the verticle part of the bracket which is nesseled between the seat and the side case handle. Its designed so you can still hold the side case handle without interference as well.

The pics on the website are of the older model, Here are pics of mine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Flatbed1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	19344   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flatbed2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	19345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flatbed3.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	19346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flatbed4.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	19347  

Last edited by STYLNLT; Sep 1st, 2008 at 3:45 am.
post #25 of 25 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 3:26 pm

I use a carry bag and stap them across the back seat. Bungyed to the luggage rack so that the bag actually hangs. If I'm going far I will use a bungy net and tighten the clubs in so they dont rattle.

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
My dog is very selective where he will pee, yet he will poop anywhere. In that regard; we couldn’t be more different.

Last edited by BallsCasten; Sep 1st, 2008 at 3:46 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in