Clutch Disintegrated - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 11:53 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs down Clutch Disintegrated

My clutch went out on a recent trip. Long story short.No previous problems with clutch and no warning. Cruising along @ 85 mph. Felt a vibration for about 5 seconds then tach spun up to 7000rpm. Stopped and the bike didnt even try to creep when in gear. Slipping wasnt the problem . The bike acted as if in neutral even when in gear.
Now I know why. Took it apart today. There is no fluid in housing. No sign of a leak anywhere. What was in the housing was a bunch of fuzz that used to be the clutch plate. There was not one bit of lining left on the clutch plate. Anybody else have this problem? The bike only has 58000 on it. Seems I didnt have the leaking slave everybodyelse has.
Buzz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clutch1.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	13407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clutch2.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	13408  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 29th, 2007, 12:18 am

looks like a bad clutch from the get-go...the material should not come apart like that! Never seen a clutch do that...

First time for everything!!! Sorry about your troubles..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Jul 29th, 2007, 1:04 am
Super Moderator

First time I've heard of that happening on an LT, and I've been riding them since 99 (had 3 myself). Not sure what to tell you, sorry about the troubles.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 29th, 2007, 1:26 am

Seen something like that once. On an old Toyota pickup truck, after I buried it in a ditch full of snow and tried like the dickens to get it out again. Mechanic called it 'Angel Haired'. Was a new Kevlar clutch - less than 1K miles on it.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #5 of 9 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 10:55 pm Thread Starter

Now I think know what caused the clutch to grind itself to nothing. Took the transmission apart. Bearing on the main shaft fell apart. The failing bearing caused the mainshaft to run out of round. The clutch plate is attached to the mainshaft by a spline so the clutch was running out of round and ground itself to dust against the pressure plate. This is what caused the vibration I felt before everything quit. This is the best theory I can come up with. All other bearings in the trans are good.
post #6 of 9 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 8:35 am

When my clutch was most recently contaminated by the slave cylinder leaking, when Touring Sport went to replace it they found the same thing in my tranny, main shaft flopping in the breeze, replaced the tranny.........along with the rear end which also turned out to be ready to frag. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #7 of 9 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 9:15 am

Disintegrated clutch not unique

In response to ToothMD's matter,
I had the identical situation and results coming back from the RA rally at the Biltmore Estates, NC. My transmission started showing some signs of distress as I was noticing above average rpm's for the various speeds, or mph. I consulted my BMW dealer, and was told it should not be a problem to drive home. About 20 miles north of Knoxville,TN, near exit 144, on I-75, the transmission just went out completely at 75mph, and I coasted over to the shoulder. Both BMW roadside assistance and BMW MOA roadside assistance exhausted their options for towing service. After 4 hours of calls and waiting, a Tennessee State Trooper found a towing service in Caryville. TN. After towing the 2006 k1200LT home. My dealer found a totally disintegrated clutchplate. This is a matter BMW should address. The service manager said he had only seen this issue once before.
post #8 of 9 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 7:37 pm

Now I'm scared to ride, am I gonna have a rear end go or a clutch leave me on the side of the road.

B D R
post #9 of 9 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 10:14 pm Thread Starter

Dont be afraid just dont ever assume you are going to make it to your destination. ALWAYS carry a BMW anonymous book with you. This is the only thing that saved me out in the middle of nowhere in North Dakota. Nice to have people that are willing to help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in