rauto-reverse - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 5:54 pm Thread Starter

Question auto-reverse

Took a nice long ride down to the Florida Keys today. When we got home I was in 1st gear up the driveway. My wife wanted off, now! So, I hit the kill switch, left the key on and stabilized for her dismount. Then I backed out her car, to put the bike away. When I, put it in neutral, started it and put it in reverse, it started backing up, without the starter button being pressed. I quickly flipped it out of reverse, shut it down and restarted. Flipping reverse lever, it started backing. I put it in forward and went for a ride. Came home, neutral and key off. Started, reverse and auto back me up. The started is not stuck on, the starter works fine. Why is auto reverse happening?

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448

Last edited by Offwego; Jul 28th, 2007 at 7:53 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jul 29th, 2007, 7:54 am Thread Starter

Question any ideas?

why would the bike start to move in reverse as soon as I flip the reverse lever without pressing the starter button?

Craig

BMWMOA #113448
post #3 of 11 Old Jul 29th, 2007, 8:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offwego
why would the bike start to move in reverse as soon as I flip the reverse lever without pressing the starter button?
OK, I'll take a crack at it. The reverse lever is mechanical, so it's out of the play. I'm thinking you have a short in the controller. It could be from the start button, but I doubt it. I vote controller.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old Jul 29th, 2007, 10:06 am Thread Starter

Cool controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
OK, I'll take a crack at it. The reverse lever is mechanical, so it's out of the play. I'm thinking you have a short in the controller. It could be from the start button, but I doubt it. I vote controller.
I knew you would know! Where's the controller?

Craig

BMWMOA #113448
post #5 of 11 Old Jul 29th, 2007, 10:25 am

Garage
Ooh, Ooh. I know, I know. Pick me, pick me.... The bike wants you to see where you've been, not where you're going .
Seriously, though, I agree with grif. It sounds like there's a short that's keeping reverse on all the time when the lever is turned. I'm just surprised that it even starts because when reverse is engaged, the starter is killed. Where are you planning to take it, Craig? Hope it works out for you. BTW, do you ever go to Fudd's on Thursday nights? It would be nice to meet you. I'm in the Falls, so not too far from you.

Joe
05 Ocean Blue LT "Mein Byk"
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
post #6 of 11 Old Jul 29th, 2007, 10:46 am Thread Starter

Cool You're it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodoc
Ooh, Ooh. I know, I know. Pick me, pick me.... The bike wants you to see where you've been, not where you're going .
Seriously, though, I agree with grif. It sounds like there's a short that's keeping reverse on all the time when the lever is turned. I'm just surprised that it even starts because when reverse is engaged, the starter is killed. Where are you planning to take it, Craig? Hope it works out for you. BTW, do you ever go to Fudd's on Thursday nights? It would be nice to meet you. I'm in the Falls, so not too far from you.
Doc, we've met! Had dinner with you and your friend with the gold wing! Remember the tall blonde guy? That's me. We were going to do a ride upstate, but you all decided to not get wet!
The bike works fine, but when I put it in reverse, it's starts moving without hitting the starter. Hope your trip was good. See you.

Craig

BMWMOA #113448
post #7 of 11 Old Jul 29th, 2007, 11:13 am Thread Starter

Smile had to be hot!

As I mentioned in the beginning, when we got home, I hit the kill switch, but left the key on. I guess something got hot and caused the reverse to stick, because I just went out and tried it and everything is okay! Ready to ride forward.

The majic of Griff

Craig

BMWMOA #113448
post #8 of 11 Old Jul 29th, 2007, 11:26 am
was

+1 for the controller. It's located on the back of the battery box, sort of between the battery and the rear coolant reserve tank. Looking at the schematic for the 2000 LT, it looks like it has about 18 wires attached to it via two different wiring harnesses, and is connected to about a gazillion components. With regard to your situation, (and I am really just speculating here), it looks like the starter relay normally is closed (and the starter actuated) when the controller gets messages from the starter button (pin 9 of the larger wiring harness) and the Reverse Switch (pin 10 of the larger harness). The Motronic also is connected to the reverse controller, but I don't know what role it plays. Other inputs that need to be correct are from the speed sensor, side switch stand, clutch switch, gear indicator, emergency shut off relay, etc., etc., but the circuit of interest appears to be Reverse Switch (which is on the actuating shaft and is moved when you move the lever from F to R), Starter Switch, controller, and starter relay. The starter relay does not seem to be shorted because it is not on all the time. The Reverse Switch seems to be doing its job, telling the controller that the selector has been moved to the reverse position. But as soon as the controller gets that information the bike starts to move, i.e., the starter relay has closed. If this were a short in the starter switch it seems to me that the relay would close as soon as you turned the key on with the selector in the Forward position, and the starter would try to start the engine. So, we're back to the controller. To tell you the truth, I was hoping that if I walked through this while puzzling over the schematic there would be another obvious possibility; hence the verbiage above. I think you are in for a MoDiTec session and possible replacement of your controller. Good luck.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #9 of 11 Old Jul 29th, 2007, 1:23 pm Thread Starter

Red face back up...

Anytime something goes wrong, the first thing I try to do, is work backward from my last operation. The last thing I did was to install the Fastek HID low beam. The only thing I'm iffy on is, I mounted the ballast to the Cruise Control box up under the nose. If by leaving the key on, and hence the headlight, the ballast may have caused the cruise control controller to get hot causing a snaffu in the motronic. Also power was still to the kill switch, which could (I suppose) cause the starter button to short. Now, with all cooled off, everything is working. If it happens again, I will probably move the ballast. Knowing me, which I do, I will move it anyway....here I go....back to the garage!

Craig

BMWMOA #113448
post #10 of 11 Old Jul 29th, 2007, 4:19 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offwego
Doc, we've met! Had dinner with you and your friend with the gold wing! Remember the tall blonde guy? That's me. We were going to do a ride upstate, but you all decided to not get wet!
The bike works fine, but when I put it in reverse, it's starts moving without hitting the starter. Hope your trip was good. See you.
Oops! My bad. You're right. Since we go by screen names on this board, and not everyone has an avatar with their picture, it's kinda hard to place people whom we've met only once. Now, of course, I remember.

As for my trip, it was a disaster. I got sick on the way up and two days into it, I had pneumonia. Parents got sick too, only not as severe. I put everyone, including myself, on antibiotics. Bike never came out of the trailer because I was too sick to ride. Came home early and counted our blessings that it wasn't worse. Thanks for asking.

Hope to see you again soon, Craig, and good luck with the autoreverse. My 0.02 would be to shut off the bike with the key and not use the kill switch unless it's an emergency. Until next time.

Joe
05 Ocean Blue LT "Mein Byk"
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
post #11 of 11 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 8:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodoc
It would be nice to meet you.
He won't be too hard to spot, he'll be the one riding in reverse !!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in