Same old shifter lingage trouble - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 2:59 pm Thread Starter

Cool Same old shifter lingage trouble

My shifter went on me today three blocks from home talk about luck was planning a good day of riding and not close to home, but I do carry the replacement parts.

This is my first time to replace it and doing a search I can not seem to find a step by step how to do the work, did I miss it, can anyone help I have the side plate off, do I need to remove the tupperware on that side top and bottom?

I did see that people have found a heavy duty kit which I will likely go for after this, although I have 70,000 on the original but I also lube it on a regular bases.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 7:31 pm

Depending which stud broke you can access all linkage with removal of the lower left fairing. suggest you check all links .

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #3 of 9 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 7:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce13p
My shifter went on me today three blocks from home talk about luck was planning a good day of riding and not close to home, but I do carry the replacement parts.

This is my first time to replace it and doing a search I can not seem to find a step by step how to do the work, did I miss it, can anyone help I have the side plate off, do I need to remove the tupperware on that side top and bottom?

I did see that people have found a heavy duty kit which I will likely go for after this, although I have 70,000 on the original but I also lube it on a regular bases.

Thanks
Here Bruce:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...linkage+repair

This should get you on yur way. BTW I never had to remove any tupperware but others say it is easier.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 9:06 pm

Quote:

Thanks
Hey Bruce, mine came off twice before I put a heavy duty one on. No problem installing it, I did it in a parking lot with a 10mm wrench and a pair of needle nose pliers. Took about 15 minutes. No need to take the tupperware off, just the side plate.

Garry

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #5 of 9 Old Jul 29th, 2007, 10:55 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Same old Shifter linkage

Thanks Guys
I have it all apart and find that some *&^$ forgot to use Lock tight on the on of the important spots, so guess what it fell apart not broken and did only a little damage to the threads, so I am replacing everything just the same and keeping the parts that are in good (used shape) as emergency parts as there is very little wear in most of them.

I see what you say about taking it apart the only thing to slow me down way the amount of grease on the linkages.

Cheers and safe riding
post #6 of 9 Old Jul 29th, 2007, 1:48 pm

Ace Hardware Rules!

Just a story to give everyone hope when your linkage breaks as far away from a BMW dealer as you can get..... Mine went out on a vacation trip , no dealer in site, on Sunday. At best I was looking a three days lost. I found out that Ace Hardware carries a line of curtain rod swivel connectors that will duplicate the shifting connection. That bailing wire rig got me on the road in two hours and even though I carry the OEM parts now...Two years later my BMW is still shifting on Ace Hardware parts.
post #7 of 9 Old Jul 29th, 2007, 3:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gisman
Just a story to give everyone hope when your linkage breaks as far away from a BMW dealer as you can get..... Mine went out on a vacation trip , no dealer in site, on Sunday. At best I was looking a three days lost. I found out that Ace Hardware carries a line of curtain rod swivel connectors that will duplicate the shifting connection. That bailing wire rig got me on the road in two hours and even though I carry the OEM parts now...Two years later my BMW is still shifting on Ace Hardware parts.
I like it! That's my kinda fix!
post #8 of 9 Old Jul 29th, 2007, 3:28 pm Thread Starter

Talking Shifter

Thanks I will keep parts in the bike to repair it. Just came back from a little run works like a charm nice and smooth the old parts that are good have a noble place in the side bag with my tool kit, now I have done it I see how easy it is to do will still look for the heavy duty kit,

Again Thanks
post #9 of 9 Old Jul 29th, 2007, 6:45 pm

Quote:

Thanks
When you decide that you are tired of the wimpy factory shift linkage you send an e-mail to Phil Johnson ([email protected]) and order his heavy duty replacement kit. Specify if your bike is a 99-04 or an 05 and later as the thickness of the rods has changed.
I installed his kits on every LT I owned for peace of mind!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in