cheap coffee cup holder - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 10:46 pm Thread Starter

cheap coffee cup holder

After checking the prices of the aftermarket cup holders, I figured there's got to be a better alternative than spending 150 bucks!

Wal-Mart bicycle bottle holder $5.00
Lowes Metric machine screws $ .75
Scrap 1/8" scrap aluminum free

Neat cup holder.....PRICELESS!

a couple hours fiddling in the garage and it's done

I will provide details & pictures if interested (don't know how to attach flicks here) e-mail [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 12:26 am

pics

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #3 of 26 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 12:46 am

I agree. Pics... I don't have a cup holder 'cause there was no way on God's green earth that I wanted to part with that much money! Show us what you did!

Steve Brooten
'01 K1200LT

post #4 of 26 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 1:41 am

Yeah, would love to see what you did. If you can't upload pics, please send me them via private e-mail ([email protected]). Maybe we can put some LEDs in it . Thanks.

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 K1200LT (Black/Yellow) BigBee
Unigo Trailer (Black/Yellow) Stinger
post #5 of 26 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 5:03 am

Not wanting to hijack the thread or interfere in anybody's drink holder development business, I just want to inform the CCR attendees that several sets of Ari's Special Drink Holders (bot rider and passenger models) are available at the silent auction at Tan-Tar-A.

You can check the product here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/pozoizqu...ALDRINKHOLDERS

Best regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

Last edited by pozo_izquierdo; Jul 28th, 2007 at 5:10 am.
post #6 of 26 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 8:54 am

Cool I'm confused ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrooten
I agree. Pics... I don't have a cup holder 'cause there was no way on God's green earth that I wanted to part with that much money! Show us what you did!
and this is with a grin on my face, spend that amount of $$$$ for a bike and quibble over the price of special oil or the price of an accessory that adds to your comfort or enjoyment, I just don't get it!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 26 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 9:03 am

Thinks that make me laugh.

Some of you will spend 20k to 25k for the best motorcycle in the world, but yet will harpe over $100 bucks, priceless.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #8 of 26 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 10:11 am

That just proves that the old saying is true,

the cheapest thing on a BMW, is the rider

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #9 of 26 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 10:39 am

I have a special kevlar embroidered cover with pure gold stitching and a GPS locator chip implanted, along with a Lowjack interface to protect my beloved cupholder.

BTW, how much duct tape you gonna use to attach this (I'm sure) fashionable piece of artwork to the motorcycle ?

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #10 of 26 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 10:52 am

I've never quite understood the concept of a cup holder on a motorcycle.... (or a car for that matter) Seems like it easily falls into the list of distractions that causes accidents: cell phones, text messaging, putting makeup on, reaching for a fallen item on the floor, etc.

Why is it we feel compelled to do EVERYTHING except keep our eyes on the road and DRIVE THE FREAKIN' VEHICLE?

About a useful as a screen door on a submarine.

Rant over.

Now, since we all love to see ghetto mods we really need to see pictures!

All you've got to do is go "advanced", scroll down to "manage attachments", click on it. A new window will open allowing you to add pictures. Click browse, and look for the picture you want to attach - usually found in "my pictures". Open it, click upload and then close.

Your picture will appear as a small thumbnail below your post, which usually can be clicked on and turned into a full size image for your viewers.

Easy.

PS: Ghetto mods need to look OEM to receive a nod of approval - if not be prepared to get roasted by our esteemed panel of judges!

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jul 28th, 2007 at 11:00 am.
post #11 of 26 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 10:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryschumer
Yeah, would love to see what you did. If you can't upload pics, please send me them via private e-mail ([email protected]). Maybe we can put some LEDs in it . Thanks.
I like the way you think Larry!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #12 of 26 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 11:01 am

I've never quite understood the concept of a cup holder on a motorcycle.... (or a car for that matter) Seems like it easily falls into the list of distractions that causes accidents: cell phones, text messaging, putting makeup on, reaching for a fallen item on the floor, etc.

Why is it we feel compelled to do EVERYTHING except keep our eyes on the road and DRIVE THE FREAKIN' VEHICLE?

About a useful as a screen door on a submarine

C'mon Ron, that cupholder has saved MANY a BEER whilst servicing the beast...beats knocking one over and spilling all over the tupperware scattered all over the garage floor....aint that what it's made for ?

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #13 of 26 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 11:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
PS: Ghetto mods need to look OEM to receive a nod of approval - if not be prepared to get roasted by our esteemed panel of judges!
Hi Ron, whaddya say,

Is this OEM enough?

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3578.JPG
Views:	997
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	13385  

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #14 of 26 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 12:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1200LTryder

About a useful as a screen door on a submarine

C'mon Ron, that cupholder has saved MANY a BEER whilst servicing the beast...beats knocking one over and spilling all over the tupperware scattered all over the garage floor....aint that what it's made for ?
Hmmm, never had that problem - I usually drink 'em too fast!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #15 of 26 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 12:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
Hi Ron, whaddya say,

Is this OEM enough?

Regards
Ummmm....

HELL YEAH! - but without the roundel not a chance!

GHETTO APPROVED!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #16 of 26 Old Jul 29th, 2007, 9:48 am

BlueBook

Kelley BlueBook

under accessories:
Check all that apply
____Alarm:+$125.00
____CD Changer+$200.00
____Drilled holes to install cup holder:-$125.00 each!
____BMW cup holder:+$125.00

just my opinion.
post #17 of 26 Old Jul 29th, 2007, 1:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
and this is with a grin on my face, spend that amount of $$$$ for a bike and quibble over the price of special oil or the price of an accessory that adds to your comfort or enjoyment, I just don't get it!
Dats cuz some of us cheap skates spent less for our LTs than most do for their annual maintenance bills!

It's the machine - not the rice ya shelled out for it.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #18 of 26 Old Jul 29th, 2007, 11:09 pm Thread Starter

cup holder

I'm not making a cup holder business, just wanted to share in case anyone would be interested. I thought that was what this site was for!!
post #19 of 26 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 6:20 am

Hush now you lot..........get a £65 bmw cup holder now and use it because it is a fantastic way to piss off mates and fellow bikers.

Fat bikers bounce better
post #20 of 26 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 9:13 am

Gearman,

I'm always interested in stuff like this. Unlike some, I did not shell out big bucks for my LT. Less that 10 grand for my 03 with 6289 miles on it. It is your bike and if you're happy with it, go with it. Someone else out there may appreciate the idea and be able to use it or adpat their own version.

I'm not necessarily sold on a cupholder (hard to drink with a FF helmet). But would be nice to have a place to hold coffee mug securely til I get to work in the mornings. Have leaked many a cup in the trunk. Smells like a Starbucks in there.

Don;t fret the others. We can laugh at them spending $100 on a cupholder. I don;t always like what I see on there bikes either. I just keep it to myself and know that I won;t use their mod.

Where is Timberlake NC? Might be able to meet up sometime.

Randy
I would like to see the pics.

Randy
post #21 of 26 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 10:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearman
I'm not making a cup holder business, just wanted to share in case anyone would be interested. I thought that was what this site was for!!
Yep...that's a good part of this awesome site! We just tend to tease a bit, all in good fun though. These guys are great...well, most of the time/some of the time...well maybe once in a while anyway!! (See HH Humphrey's quote following this).

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #22 of 26 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 12:37 pm

I have a lot of them

Several years ago, I think about 2001 or so, in response to complaints similiar to the one above about the cost of the BMW cup holders, I had about 500 of the plastic cupholders made. Them, with a little button of velcro, makes a perfectable usable cup holder. It says "Just Ride IT" on them. Hey Avi - if you want them they are yours.

What I discovered is that LT riders (for the most part) love to complain about the cost of the accessories, but, when faced with the option to put a piece of cheap plastic, or new age looking aluminum on their bike, will fork out the extra $100. Hey I don't blame them. I have some of that tendency myself. Anyway, I swalloed the loss years ago.

I believe we gave away one to everyone who attended CCR in I think it was Gatlinburg, but I still have a box of them in my attic. I will not fill individual orders, but the first person who will take them off my hands with no cost to me (I have put enough money into this). They are sitting in Minneapolis Minnesota, so you either need to come here to pick them up, or pay for the shipping to send them to you.

I don't know where the velcro went, I think I last saw it in Griffs hands in 2003 in Gatlinburg, so who knows where they are now. He might have used him to stick his but to his bike, given the way he rides, he must use something like that.

Dave

David Tilsen

My 2014 K1600GTL - Hannigan Trike is my baby and I am LOVING it.
post #23 of 26 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 4:49 pm
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearman
Hey, Gearman, definitely interested, grateful for the original post, and hoping to see pics.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #24 of 26 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 7:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtilsen
Several years ago, I think about 2001 or so, in response to complaints similiar to the one above about the cost of the BMW cup holders, I had about 500 of the plastic cupholders made. Them, with a little button of velcro, makes a perfectable usable cup holder. It says "Just Ride IT" on them. Hey Avi - if you want them they are yours.

What I discovered is that LT riders (for the most part) love to complain about the cost of the accessories, but, when faced with the option to put a piece of cheap plastic, or new age looking aluminum on their bike, will fork out the extra $100. Hey I don't blame them. I have some of that tendency myself. Anyway, I swalloed the loss years ago.

I believe we gave away one to everyone who attended CCR in I think it was Gatlinburg, but I still have a box of them in my attic. I will not fill individual orders, but the first person who will take them off my hands with no cost to me (I have put enough money into this). They are sitting in Minneapolis Minnesota, so you either need to come here to pick them up, or pay for the shipping to send them to you.

I don't know where the velcro went, I think I last saw it in Griffs hands in 2003 in Gatlinburg, so who knows where they are now. He might have used him to stick his but to his bike, given the way he rides, he must use something like that.

Dave
Hey Dave:

How about donating them to the CCR charity event for this year - I'm sure they can be sold for a few bucks ($10.00?) each at the silent auction.

Not only do you get to write off the entire expense ($5K) on your taxes (plus shipping) whether or not they sell - but you will have made a significant contribution toward helping little kids with incarcerated parents learn that there IS a better way to lead their lives. The charity is recognized and legit, all you will need is a short letter from them acknowledging your contribution.

Just make sure you take photos before shipping them, the IRS is getting very picky about having backup proof.

If you donate them I'll provide the (missing) velcro!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #25 of 26 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 9:20 pm Thread Starter

thanks

Timberlake is near Roxboro (about 18 miles due North of Durham) Was going to attach some pictures but the attachment mgr does not work for me
post #26 of 26 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 9:27 pm Thread Starter

flicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
Hey, Gearman, definitely interested, grateful for the original post, and hoping to see pics.
send me an e-mail and I will attach pictures...jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in