I've never done it...oil change on the LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 7:33 pm Thread Starter

I've never done it...oil change on the LT

Three allen bolt on the bottom of the oil pan?

How many quarts of oil?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 7:37 pm

A bit less than 4 quarts

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #3 of 20 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 7:41 pm

Also, don't just ask for a filter. Ask for the "oil change kit". That comes with the O-Ring and crush washer you need.

post #4 of 20 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 7:58 pm Thread Starter

Am I correct with the three allen bolts?
post #5 of 20 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 8:07 pm

Right. The 3 allen bolts hold on the oil filter cover. Removing the cover will let you access the oil filter. Remove 2 of the bolts and slightly loosen the other unless you want a gusher of oil. Some people remove the oil drain plug but I have never seen the need if you remove the oil filter cover. I fill the oil filter with oil add a total of 3.5 quarts of oil and start the engine. I top off the oil until the level is in the center of the sight glass. You will need a thin walled oil filter wrench to get the oil filter out. I ended up purchasing mine from the BMW dealer but other have found them at auto parts stores.

ďRes ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?Ē

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 8:14 pm Thread Starter

Thanks! Now I am all set!
post #7 of 20 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 8:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopos
Am I correct with the three allen bolts?
Yes. There is a formal drain plug,(8mm Allen), that is located behind the filter access cover. Some guys don't bother pulling this, just the access plate with the 3 screws. Just be aware that hot oil will be coming out somewhat haphazardly, and additional oil will come out when you pull the filter. Best to crack open the cover slightly and let drain. Once the cover is removed, you will need an appropriate oil filter wrench to remove the filter which resides in a cavity above the pan. I bought mine from BMW, but I believe there are cheaper alternatives. This filter wrench allows you to attach a 3/8 drive extension and ratchet to remove and replace. Replenish new filter with oil, screw in place. Clean access cover and install new rubber O ring into covers groove. Carefully reinstall making sure not to overtighten the small Allen heads, I've heard they will snap off if overtorqued. Refill with new oil.
post #8 of 20 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 8:26 pm

Whoops! Mr Stuber beat me to the punch..at least you got two different versions of the same story!
post #9 of 20 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 8:39 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!
post #10 of 20 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 9:03 pm

Adam, you'll do fine! Heck, if I can do it, I KNOW you can...

Just keep some paper towels handy...
post #11 of 20 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 9:51 pm

I drop the drain plug first and then the filter cover. Makes less of a mess. Also if you have ever seen the inside of the oil pan, you'll see where if you drain it without dropping the plug, you will be leaving some dirty oil (not much, maybe an ounce or so) and any solids that have settled. Dropping the plug will flush most of the solids out. Just my thoughts and way of doing it.

Make sure the gasket on the filter comes out with the old filter.

3 1/2 quarts of oil does it for my '03.

Warm the engine but don't get it so hot you burn yourself with hot oil.

Be sure the fill plug is back in before you start it or ride off. Will make one heck of a mess.

Clean up with electric contact cleaner.

Have a roll of paper towels or a wad of rags handy cause you will make a mess, just try to not let it get out of control.

If you get the kit, you will have a crush washer or two left over, you will only use the o-ring for the filter cover and 1 crush washer under the drain plug.

Go for it.

B D R
post #12 of 20 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 10:40 pm

Just be sure you have a thin-walled metal oil filter cap wrench. I bought a plastic one at Wally*World. The ID fit the filter, but the OD was to big to fit through the sump opening. I found a metal one at Auto Zone. Much better price than BMW (Bring More Wallet) or H-D (Hundred Dollars).

I think I saw a post about shaving a plastic cap wrench to fit, but I figured I'd just screw it up and still have to buy a metal one.

The oil change is easy. Just very, very messy. Have lots of newspaper under your catch pan, just in case.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #13 of 20 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 11:35 am
Lifetime Supporter

In addition to all the above, check the old filter to make sure the old "O" gasket came out with it. It will sometimes get stuck up in the engine.

Motor On ,/'

post #14 of 20 Old Aug 27th, 2007, 6:43 pm

Oil Change Kit Metal Washers

I just changed the oil on an '02 LTC for the first time. I purchased an oil change kit from Chicago BMW. There was the filter, rubber filter washer, and O-ring for the filter cover. There were also three metal washers included in the kit - two smaller and one larger.

Can anyone tell me what these three metal washers are for? They ended up as leftovers after the oil change was complete.

Keith
post #15 of 20 Old Aug 27th, 2007, 7:29 pm

Just be sure you have a thin-walled metal oil filter cap wrench. I bought a plastic one at Wally*World. The ID fit the filter, but the OD was to big to fit through the sump opening. I found a metal one at Auto Zone.

getting ready to do a 24k. what is the part # or od of the auto zone wrench.
I have a long week end and need to stay close to the house. thought i might just take apart the LT and change fluids.

Jim
post #16 of 20 Old Aug 27th, 2007, 7:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemahieu
IThere were also three metal washers included in the kit - two smaller and one larger. Can anyone tell me what these three metal washers are for? They ended up as leftovers after the oil change was complete.
Keith
The filter kit actually fits a few different bikes so they package in the necessary crush washers for each bike.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #17 of 20 Old Aug 27th, 2007, 7:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by loansumrider
getting ready to do a 24k. what is the part # or od of the auto zone wrench. I have a long week end and need to stay close to the house. thought i might just take apart the LT and change fluids.

Jim
Hi, Jim,
I just checked my filter wrench. There was a sticker on it, but I peeled it off. I think there were at least three sizes of filters in my Auto Zone. I had the filter with me, so I just chose the one that fit. That's probably your best bet. At $4.00 each, you could buy one of each and return the ones you don't need, if you don't have the filter yet.

I originally stopped at Advance Auto. While the filter wrenches were nearly identical, the ones from Advance would not lock up with the flutes on my filter. I could turn it from flute to flute by hand. Thought I would end up with the big money one from BMW or H-D.

Remember, the plastic wrenches won't fit through the opening in the sump without carving. I still have mine, but it didn't have the size on it either. I can't return it, because I didn't keep the receipt. That $3.00 is going to wreck the household's economy. My "financier" said so.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #18 of 20 Old Aug 27th, 2007, 10:02 pm

I use K&N oil filters...3/8" extension (6") on the end of a ratchet works fine. Look at your old filter to make sure the sealing gasket is still on the filter, and not stuck up in the seating boss, if it is, you want to dig it out and not scratch the surface that it has adhered to.

Just make sure you line up the cooling fins on the oil filter cover with those on the bottom of the sump.

Get a long narrow funnel to pour the oil into the engine.

If you dont have cats, buy some kitty litter at wally world to throw down on the oil that you are going to spill ( yes, you ARE going to spill some oil).

Make sure you have the bike on the centerstand to perform your task...no fun trying to shake oil out of the bike if you started the job on the sidestand.

Once finished, and the obligitory test ride is completed, you can now thump your chest, explain to the SO how hard it was, and apologize for ruining her favorite dishrag, then crack a beer, and all will be fine in the world again.

Cheers mate !

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #19 of 20 Old Aug 28th, 2007, 9:19 am

Be sure and NOT over torque the allen head bolts. I think they take 9-10 NM which is not very much. All you need to do is seat the large O-ring against the block. A little oil on the O-ring helps the seal.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #20 of 20 Old Aug 28th, 2007, 10:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemahieu
I just changed the oil on an '02 LTC for the first time. I purchased an oil change kit from Chicago BMW. There was the filter, rubber filter washer, and O-ring for the filter cover. There were also three metal washers included in the kit - two smaller and one larger.

Can anyone tell me what these three metal washers are for? They ended up as leftovers after the oil change was complete.

Keith
These are most likely crush washers for the final drive (one for drain, 1 for fill), and transmission (1 for fill).

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in