Route to CCR - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 6:44 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs down Route to CCR

Iím looking for info on the flowing route to CCR. I would appreciate any suggestion and comments as I have not been on most of these roads. Need to combine some work related business with my ride to CCR. Like most of us I want to avoid the slabs (Interstates) but unfortunately I donít have a lot of time. This working for a living gets in the way of my life. Iím thinking of taking a short hop (4 hours) Friday after dark on Interstate 10 from the Southern California desert to Phoenix to avoid the high desert heat. Spend the night at my daughters and up early and onto Flagstaff, AZ and cooler temps. From there pick-up Routes 89 and 160 to Durango, CO. Then I thought I might go with 550 to US 50 across the rest of CO and into KS. After I complete my business in Kansas City, I was going to just follow US 50 to US 54 to Osage Beach, MO. by Wednesday. Thanks - Doug

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Ė Growing Up is Optional
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 7:44 pm

Talking

Just go east . . . following the trail of final drive fluid. The bulletproof FJRs and GoldWings will be waiting there for us.
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 9:19 pm

Route to CCR

This is my first posting/reply. Being from Colorado and having traveled your planned route, here is my 2cents: 160 will be a scenic ride from Durango to Walsenburg. You will be passing over Wolf Creek Pass (10850')-great scenic drive all the way. Watch for late afternoon electrical storms from Durango to Walsenburg. Law enforcement doing their jobs in that area. Very good paved roads.
Wolf Creek Pass does have some single lanes. Weekends can be high tourist and camping traffic through the pass. Check construction through Wolf Creek Pass.
After Walsenburg, take highway 10 to La Junta. Highway 10 runs into Highway 50. Highway 10 and 50 are good paved roads (single lane each way for the most part). I believe Highway 50 is called the "lonelyest highway," and for good reason. Again, law enforcement is prevalent to the Kansas boarder. I can't speak for KS. You will go through La Junta, Las Animas and Lamar, before crossing into Kansas. Also, watch for late afternoon electrical storms on the plains.
Highway 50, in Kansas, is a repeat of 50 in Colorado. Similar two lane paved road.

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 29th, 2007, 6:07 pm

After leaving Kansas City on Hwy 50, you will pick your way through several small towns. There is a speed trap in Lone Jack, MO and another just outside of Warrensberg, MO. Be careful at Jefferson City. The interchange from 50 to 54 is not very well marked. 54 on in is a clear shot but LOTS of traffic on the weekends. Friday afternoons into Lake Ozarks is a bitch. Sunday afternoons out is the same.

I want to die young...at a ripe old age.

Several Triumphs (which I still love)
one Beezer 441
Harley Sportster (which I still hate and was ecstatic to see go)
2003 LT- traded for 2005
2005 LT- traded for deer (dead after the introduction to the LT- both totaled)
2005 LT- sold for a 2008 Gold Wing GL1800
2008 GL1800 Gold Wing
BMWMOA
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 2:41 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks guys - hope to see & meet youin MO.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Ė Growing Up is Optional

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in