What tank bag are you using on the LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 11:39 am Thread Starter
mos

What tank bag are you using on the LT?

New to the LT . Looking for feed back on what LT riders are using for a tank bag. How it mounts and pictures , pro-cons.
Thanks , Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 12:12 pm

I have used the BMW bag (too small, too expensive), the Eclipse (pretty good and worth the price) and the Chicane (by far the best).

Tim Frederick
Woodbury, MN
post #3 of 29 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 12:35 pm

The Chicane specific bag. It is not on the website you must ask for it. Great guy. It fits on top of the oddiment box and does not opstruct your view of instruments or GPS.

Very pleased with mine. It was very useful on our recent 4,897 miles in nine days. It holds more than you think including a small 35 oz camel bag.

post #4 of 29 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 12:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Smile

I have the 45 oz. CamelBak in my Chicane. I have had no others.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #5 of 29 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 1:00 pm

Chicane

Used the Chicane with a camel bag from REI on our Alaska-Ohio run this summer. Loved it! Even expanded, could use the radio buttons and see GPS with no problems.
post #6 of 29 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 1:02 pm

I put on a cheap Tour Master bag with map pouch. I think I paid $35. Then I cut up an old smaller atlas so I have all of the states. Had it for my 1100. Huge bag. Found it works great on the 1200. I just loop it around the radio and set it so i can see the radio display and it never moves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tankbag 001.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	13370   Click image for larger version

Name:	tankbag 002.JPG
Views:	590
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	13371  

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #7 of 29 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 1:03 pm

Chicane +1, great tankbag for the LT

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #8 of 29 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 1:33 pm

Tank Bag Selection

I have the RKA to be very useful. Having recently seen the Chicane, that would be first choice.

Here is a link to the RKA site: http://www.rka-luggage.com/A02%20Tankbags/tank.html

Paul M. Feldman

2008 - R1200RT "Cino"
2005 - KLT - "Tipsy" (now "Toasty") RIP
2004 - Suzuki Burgman 650
1978 - GL 1000
1985 - GL 1200 20th Anniversary Edition
1976 - Honda 750A
1973 - Honda CB 360 - "Bone Shaker"
1966 - Suzuki S80 - "Old Smokey"
post #9 of 29 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 1:55 pm Thread Starter
mos

what model Chicane are you guys using?
post #10 of 29 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 2:39 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos
New to the LT . Looking for feed back on what LT riders are using for a tank bag. How it mounts and pictures , pro-cons.
Thanks , Mike
I've used this bag on my last two LT's. Great size, not too big, but much larger that the stock bag. Has a rubber grommet in the side for MP3 cables etc...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #11 of 29 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 3:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos
Chicane Canyon EX for the LT. I also use the Chicane map holder that fits a normal, albeit, folded road map. The map holder is thoughtfully designed to strap over the tank bag using adjustable built in elastic cords.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #12 of 29 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 4:02 pm

Could someone post a picture and a bit more info on the Chicane bag? I have been trying to find a suitable bag for my '06 and this one sounds like a good possibility.

Thanks!

Jim
'06LT - Magnesium Black Graphite (light black)

post #13 of 29 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 4:29 pm

I use an ST1100 tank bag - it is massive and doesnt interfere with anything - fits the LT better than the ST1100!
I put all my heavy stuff in it and that can quite often be the stuff I want at hand - water, maps, batteries, camera etc.
If you spot one on ebay - get it - it is extreamly good quality as well.
Bad point - it wont match any colour - I have only seen them in faded red - but hey - looks or practicality - make your choice

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #14 of 29 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 4:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos

It is the Chicane BMW K1200LT Specific Tank Bag. Last I looked is was not shown on their website. http://www.chicaneusa.com/ "For more information or to place a phone order, call 303.877.0854
To contact Chicane, email at [email protected] "

So you have to call or email them.

Very happy with mine.
post #15 of 29 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 12:09 am

Here is the Chicane for the LT

The rain cover is stored in the front pouch and pull out and over the bag

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #16 of 29 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 12:24 am

Great looking bag. Thanks!

Jim
'06LT - Magnesium Black Graphite (light black)

post #17 of 29 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 1:41 am

Chicane LT bag I bought at a BMW rally from Chicane dealer. I love it!

2006 LT
Times dropped(so far): 2
2006 FZ-1
Speeding tickets(so far): 0

IBA

"Four things greater than all things are,-
Women and Horses and Power and War." Rudyard Kipling
post #18 of 29 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 8:42 am

Tank Bag

I have the LT specific Tank Bag. The first one I had a webbing (cloth) looP to fit over the oddments box lock and two hook and loop tabs to fasten it to the bike. I could not get the odments box to latch.

I called Chicane and talked to Randy, who told me I had an old model bag and to send it back to him and he would send me an updated one. I did, he did and the thing works great now. Used it on my latest 3800 mile trip to West Bend and back. I took the time to go by and thank Randy for his assistance. They are great people to do business with.

BTW, the new version has a small bungie type cord to loop over the oddments latch. Works great.

Ultra LT
post #19 of 29 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 10:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraLT
I have the LT specific Tank Bag. The first one I had a webbing (cloth) looP to fit over the oddments box lock and two hook and loop tabs to fasten it to the bike. I could not get the odments box to latch.

I called Chicane and talked to Randy, who told me I had an old model bag and to send it back to him and he would send me an updated one. I did, he did and the thing works great now. Used it on my latest 3800 mile trip to West Bend and back. I took the time to go by and thank Randy for his assistance. They are great people to do business with.

BTW, the new version has a small bungie type cord to loop over the oddments latch. Works great.

Ultra LT
I had the same loop on my Chicane. I told Randy about it when I was at the BMW rally in West Bend. He told me to get go get it from my bike and modified my bag on the spot with the bungee loop and it works great now! Randy is sometimes hard to get a hold of but provides excellent customer service. The Chicane products are top quality and backed by great service!

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #20 of 29 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 11:33 am

My tank bag is by far the most useful accessory on my scoot. I've always been less than impressed with the current offerings, so I utilized a "pannier" designed for a mountain bike rear top rack and modified it to fit the LT.

The curved base is piece of 1/8" Lexan covered on both sides with short cropped fleece, with an adjustable strap that fits around the sting ray. A small snap holds the rear in place under the very front bottom of the seat.

It's expandable, has side pockets and a top zippered pocket. It also came with a rain cover. I can stuff it pretty much full, but the side pockets - when packed - do have some interference with the handlebars.... not enough where it has caused me any concerns since it easily slides to the side when pushed.

Although it is weathered and sun checked over the past 6 years it has done the job extremely well and I've never lacked for space.

I seem to remember paying $45.00 for it, the attached pictures show it unexpanded - expanded it adds another 5 inches of height.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tankbag 001.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	13386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tankbag 002.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	13387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tankbag 003.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	13388  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #21 of 29 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 11:52 am

+1 for RKA tank bag. non magnetic, quick releae. Has a rain cover you can get for it but I never had to use it while on the move. The map window sticks to the top of it with velcro, and is perfect size if you print out your own strip maps with streets and trips.

Picture of one here...
http://jeff.dean.home.att.net/tankbag.htm

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #22 of 29 Old Jul 29th, 2007, 1:01 am

tank for LT

One more vote for the RKA bag. Easy to install. Big enough to be useful, but not overwhelming.
post #23 of 29 Old Jul 29th, 2007, 5:47 pm

RKA to Chicane

Had a RKA bag for several years.
Gave it up for the Chicane which is a super bag in a number of respects IMO.
post #24 of 29 Old Jul 29th, 2007, 6:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraLT

Ultra LT
I also have this bag. Love the bag, but hate that strap. Will contact Chicane and see if they will swap it for me. Will also order a bladder for it, as I think that would be easier than toting a camel pack on my back.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #25 of 29 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 12:14 am

Tank Bags

Bought an RKA 25-liter 3-point expandable tank bag for my '99 R1100RT.
Used the three outside pockets and main compartment.
Rarely used it expanded.
Used it on the LT.
Only problem was interference with handlebars when steering lock to lock trying to park the bike.

Then bought the RKA 8.5-liter SuperSport X-Mini tank bag.
Quality bag, more steering clearance.
Not enough storage room.

Finally bought the Chicane EX (not the LT EX).
Felt LT EX was too small. Decision reinforced over two years of hard use.
Like it better than either of my RKA's.

Size hasn't interfered with handling, even on the Dragon or Cherohala Skyway.

Holds my CamelBak 50-oz Omega reservoir (w/insulated drinking tube) in an Igloo soft cooler. Partially fill Camelbak with beverage of choice and freeze. Fill to capacity and place in cooler. Use frozen blue ice pack or fill another flexible reservoir almost to capacity and freeze. Leave room for expansion.
Keeps drinks cold and provides refill.
Chicane has holder on left side to secure the drinking tube.

Built-in rain cover stored in front pocket.

Chicane map pocket could be bigger, but adequate.

Highly reflective piping built into design of the bag.

Easy to mount/dismount.
Front two-point loop goes around radio head.
Rear attached with Fastek buckle to seat hinge.
post #26 of 29 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 1:19 am

Cortech

..I'm using the same as Ted, it is the Cortech, it's very useful.
post #27 of 29 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:05 am
Lifetime Supporter

One more vote for the Chicane K1200LT specific bag. Hydration pack fits inside with a special outlet for the hose. Easy to take on and off.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #28 of 29 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 5:18 pm

I have been using the RKA tank bag designed specifically for the LT. It has served me well. I used it on a ride out west last year, 6200 miles, and I had it crammed with all sorts of good stuff. The best thing about it is, it mounts very easy and it's very easy to remove. It has a shoulder strap supplied which is very handy. It is very well made as it is "made in the USA". I always try to buy American when I can. I like the idea of spending my money to support my people. My only gripe- the map sleeve is a bit cramped. You have to learn creative map folding. One last thing, they have a limited lifetime guarantee. Mine lives on the bike. Check em out!

Brian
NC
02 Silver LTC
post #29 of 29 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 8:12 pm

I had the LT specific Chicane bag and couldn't get the loop to fit my bike. An email to the company brought no response so I sold the bag.

A Coretech Super Mini works great and it is my daily bag. Very easy on/off, which is not the case with the Chicane. Just unclick one fastener and remove the bag (front is looped under the radio).

I got a Roadgear three-point sport bag for my Alaska trip, and it worked great. Has nice volume, is narrow so it doesn't get in the way of the handlebars, has a useable map pocket (unlike the Chicane), and easy on/off like the Coretech.

Wally Gingerich
Cleveland, OH
2001 K1200LT
1999 R1100RS
1994 K75

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in