Bike making noise, Identify problem - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 8:01 am Thread Starter

Bike making noise, Identify problem

Just came back from a trip and during the trip I developed a new noise. The bike is in the shop and waiting for them to get time to look at it. The noise is intermittant. Happens when I pull into a parking space slowly, clutch in, feet down, using only front brake lever very easily to stop. I was riding two up fully loaded so when I say slowly stopping, I mean it. I have not dropped her yet but when I do it will be when I am trying to slowly stop.
The noise sounds like it is coming from under me on the right hand side but the sound could be traveling from somewhere else on the bike. It sounds like if you took a coffee can and put about 3-4 2 inch rocks in it and rolled it slowly. Any thoughts or has anyone else experienced this. The bike runs fine and I did over 2000 miles with it.
Thanks all

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 10:00 am

Friend of mine has a K1200RS and he has that noise on start up. It turned out to be the a timing chain problem. They are changing out everything related to the timing chain under warrenty. Don't know if this could be your problem but it is a place to start.
post #3 of 9 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 10:29 am

You might check the welds on the catalytic converter.

Dan King
2000 K1200LTC
Springville, Ca

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 10:40 am

Long shot here, but my rear brake rotor would clang while at idle just sitting on the center stand or while I was backing up. Does it do it when the rear brake is being used? I still have a rattle (similar to the rear brake rotor) but I think it is in the exhaust system somewhere.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #5 of 9 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 10:57 am
Lifetime Supporter

Cool

My guess is that famous rear rotor. I have the EBC on mine now.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #6 of 9 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 11:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpillis
Just came back from a trip and during the trip I developed a new noise. The bike is in the shop and waiting for them to get time to look at it. The noise is intermittant. Happens when I pull into a parking space slowly, clutch in, feet down, using only front brake lever very easily to stop.
Thanks all
When you put it in neutral and let out the clutch lever did the sound change? Try to eliminate one thing at a time. If it goes away when the bike is in neutral and the clutch lever is out pull in the clutch lever again and see if the noise reappears. This might indicate a clutch issue. If the noise is there regardless of the clutch/transmission does it go away if you apply the rear brake lever of firmly grip the front brake lever? Was it making noise only when you were rolling, and stopped when you came to a full stop? This could indicate a worn out brake rotor (warranty item for sure). If it is making the noise all the time it might be the muffler or the spring muffler mount located above the center stand. The mount has a tendency to break where it is crimped at one end. I've had to replace two of these and the noise was very noticeable, but it was more of a "buzz" than clanking. Timing chain noise will also be a constant, and more of a rattle in the front of the engine. This is very noticeable at idle and will fluctuate with RPM. If you have this issue make sure it is delt with ASAP. IHTH Good luck.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #7 of 9 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 11:12 am
was

Oooh, I love questions like this. Let's see, 2005 LT, new noise, more rumble than rattle, noticed only when front brake lightly engaged and rpm <2000 (I'm guessing) and mph < 5 and clutch engaged (tranny not under load) and seems to come from low center right hand side (but might be from elsewhere). I wish you had the bike to check out a couple of things. First I'd look for vibration caused by loose mounting bolts on the front fender (this has more of a rattle sound, but it's a quick and easy rule-out). Then I'd look for loose mounting bolts that attach the center stand and the side stand. While I was at it I'd look to see if the heat shield over the exhaust pipe was loose. Once those had been ruled out I'd put the bike up on the center stand, put it in neutral, start it up (well ventilated space!!! eye protection, gloves, long sleeves, all safety precautions) and crawl around to see if I could hear the noise. If yes, it's likely to be engine related, if no it's unlikely to be engine related. Then I'd put it in first gear (clutch engaged), put some rubber bands around the left grip and clutch lever to hold the lever in, and crawl around again to see if I could hear/isolate the noise. Then I'd double check to make sure the rear wheel was not touching the ground, take off the rubber bands, keep the bike in first, and let the rear wheel rotate at idle speed while checking for the noise. Then I'd pull in the clutch, rev the engine a bit, slowly let out the clutch, let the rear wheel rotate faster, pull in the clutch, rubber band the lever, and crawl around while the residual momentum of the rear wheel was turning the rear drive, shaft, and tranny output shaft. I'd pay particular attention to the rear drive, U-joints, and tranny. Get a cardboard tube, or roll up a piece of thin cardboard, and use that as a stethescope; put one end right on the rear drive and listen; then move it to the rear U-joint position, then the front U-joint position, then to the tranny. You may have to repeat the procedure to get the rear wheel moving faster several times to get to all these positions. By this time you have approximated most of the parameters of the bike's functioning when you hear the noise in the parking lot, except movement and front brake. Turn off the engine. Just to double check, grab the rear tire with one hand at 3:00 and one hand at 9:00 (caution!! metal parts might be very hot) and push-pull several times. There should be no play. Grab the wheel at 12:00 and 6:00 and push-pull several times. There should be no play. (I'm really hoping that it's not your final drive!) Put the bike in neutral and rotate the rear tire with your hands, listening for possible scraping of the rear brake pads.

OK, to the front. Put a jack under the front of the tranny, a piece of wood on the jack, double check to make sure the bike is secure on its center stand, and slooooowly jack up the front. The front wheel will come up off the ground. I like to continue jacking until the rear tire comes in contact with the floor; this gives the bike a 4-point stance (jack, two feet of the center stand, and rear tire) rather than a very short 3-point stance. Rotate the front tire with your hands. Listen for rumble at the front wheel bearings and front brakes. I don't know if there is any way to lightly engage the front brake and rotate the tire, I doubt you can rotate it fast enough to give you any useful data. You may want to ride the bike to the top of a small hill, turn it off (so you can hear better), and carefully roll down the hill with the front brake lightly engaged.

At this point you may have isolated the system that is involved and the location of the rumble within that system. Next steps would depend on what you have found. Hope the dealer can find it quickly and fix it inexpensively. Good luck!

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #8 of 9 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 8:10 pm Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks you to all who ave some great advice on troubleshooting and noise locating. Like Bill said it would be great if I had the bike. I am wating for tech to look at it and was trying to get some good ideas for them to check.

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #9 of 9 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 12:26 am

This sounds a lot like something I have seen over and over. Usually with ME 880 tires....as they wear and develop the lean noise, the rear tire is cupping badly on the outer edges. At slow speeds this causes a vibration that will rattle the floating rear brake disk. It is a rattle clunky sound normally noticeable almost at a stop. Using the front brake on the integrated system does normally put more pressure on the front than the rear, so the rear still has enough play to rattle the disk.

That is my theory and I am sticking to it. A new rear tire has always quieted it for me. I recently changed to Avon Storms and have not seen this problem since.

Hope that helps,

Ron

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in