Carrying luggage - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 4:24 pm Thread Starter

Question Carrying luggage

Inside the saddle bags there is some info on weight limits. If I'm reading it right it suggests that you can put 33 lbs in the trunk and 11 lbs on the trunk rack. But it seems to me I've seen photos of LTs loaded with more than 11 lbs on the rack. What have people found in practice can be loaded on the trunk carrying rack? Do I really need to limit it to 11 lbs? Or, did I misread that thing altogether? If you're carring luggage for two, even if you're travelling very light, there just does not seem to be much capacity.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 4:59 pm

Smile Recommendations versus actual practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
Inside the saddle bags there is some info on weight limits. If I'm reading it right it suggests that you can put 33 lbs in the trunk and 11 lbs on the trunk rack. But it seems to me I've seen photos of LTs loaded with more than 11 lbs on the rack. What have people found in practice can be loaded on the trunk carrying rack? Do I really need to limit it to 11 lbs? Or, did I misread that thing altogether? If you're carring luggage for two, even if you're travelling very light, there just does not seem to be much capacity.
I have had in excess of 20 lbs on the top case rack (Paul Sayeh's HD rack adaption). This in addition to the side cases and top case being full of stuff and a couple of soft side saddlebags tied outboard of the LT's side cases. Camping gear for two, sleeping bags, tent, camp stove with propane tanks, and the kitchen sink.
You can load her up.

Exceeding weight recommendations changes handling, risks stuff breaking, tires popping, final drives exploding, and passengers falling off. None of these things happened to me, YMMV.
post #3 of 10 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 7:00 pm

Hauling a load

Use a lot of bungee cords when you get granny and her rocker on that trunk. She won't sit still!...........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

post #4 of 10 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 7:40 pm

I do not weigh my luggage...but...my wife has learned to pack "lite". None the less, there is a lot of weight back there. With the trunk, both side bags and the rack bag packed to the hilt, in 43000 miles I have never had a problem. Have a nice ride

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #5 of 10 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 7:46 pm

i used to have both saddle bags and the top case packed to the gills i also has a large duffel bag packed on the top rack,,ill guess it was a total weight of 50 lbs,,now that im towing a trailer i think its much better for the bike to pull than to carry all that extra weight
post #6 of 10 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:43 pm

Stopped at a closed truck scale on vacation. 1450lbs
SO needs to leave some of the neccesities at home
(like that will happen)

2002 K1200LTC Ocean Blue
post #7 of 10 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 11:01 pm

Both BMW and Ztechnik specify 5# as the carrying capacity of their top case racks.

5#? That's not much!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #8 of 10 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 1:24 pm Thread Starter

[QUOTE=hschisler]Both BMW and Ztechnik specify 5# as the carrying capacity of their top case racks.

5#? That's not much![/Howard, where did you see that? That seems different from what I read inside the left saddle bag.]

Greg

I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #9 of 10 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 1:36 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

post #10 of 10 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 2:09 pm Thread Starter

[QUOTE=RaffyK]5Kg = 11 Lbs.[/Ah, I thought the # sign meant pounds. Well, 11 lbs is what I thought, but others on this forum have suggested they've carried more.]

Greg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in