New battery needed..... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:03 am Thread Starter

Unhappy New battery needed.....

Well here goes. Last night I needed a boost, problem was I was going for a ride with a HD driver. He got a kick out of having to boost a BMW. The battery, I think, is original, 1999. I am going out to buy one in a couple hours. It will not be from BMW, but, a local bike store. Is there anything I should be aware of before I buy? The charging system is at 13.4 volts at idle, 13.8-9 when reved a bit.

Thanks

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_kramer
Well here goes. Last night I needed a boost, problem was I was going for a ride with a HD driver. He got a kick out of having to boost a BMW. The battery, I think, is original, 1999. I am going out to buy one in a couple hours. It will not be from BMW, but, a local bike store. Is there anything I should be aware of before I buy? The charging system is at 13.4 volts at idle, 13.8-9 when reved a bit.

Thanks
Hi, Garry - I'd either take the existing battery to the store for them to match dimensional size, or use the following:

Volts = 12V
Amp Hours = 19Ah
Length = 7"
Width = 3 1/16"
Heighth = 6 5/8"
Cold cranking amps = Plus side of 680 CCA.

If time permits, batteries are readily available through web-shopping (such as BatteryMart.com) and usually rather quickly. Lead acid batteries are common and usually have to be charged prior to use; and can't be shipped liquid-filled; fill them once on your premises (although there are sealed lead-acid batteries that might get around this Haz-Mat rule). Gel-mat types, such as the Odyssey PC680, are sealed units, are normally ready to go right outta the box, and can be shipped by common carrier, since no potential loss of toxic liquid. They'll hold a non-parasitic load charge for nearly two years.

HTH, Garry. Good luck.
post #3 of 15 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

You probably did this, but check the fluid level. You may get a little shopping/shipping time if the electrolyte is low, and you can add some distilled water.

Motor On ,/'

post #4 of 15 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 11:01 am

Battery

Hi Garry;

If you can wait out the delivery time go to www.digikey.com and search for a Panasonic LC-X1220P. You'll find the battery around $77CDN plus $8 shipping and GST only, no PST. They drop ship on the Canadian side of the border daily so no Customs clearance, or charges, for you. It's a typical lead acid (fillable, not sealed) battery and is at least equivalent to the original. I remember phoning battery suppliers around Toronto and the odd one will have the Odyssey at around $180. I decided I'd take the chance on two replacements at the cheaper price than gamble on a longer life with the more expensive battery .......... All debatable opinions of course!!!

Steve Collier
'05 KLT
post #5 of 15 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 11:07 am

PC680 and you do not have to check fluids. I just put one in my bike last week.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #6 of 15 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 11:13 am

The pc 680 on ebay used to be around 70 bucks. I bought one there a couple of years ago. Check it out!
post #7 of 15 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 11:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognot
The pc 680 on ebay used to be around 70 bucks. I bought one there a couple of years ago. Check it out!
I needed one and would'nt you know it, none on eBay. I had to order from a battery company and it cost me $95.00 and one day later, there they were back on eBay. But it was $92.00 and free shipping.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #8 of 15 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 12:11 pm

I have the Panasonic LC-X1220P battery. However, mine is a sealed lead acid battery and it has a slightly higher capacity than the standard BMW battery.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #9 of 15 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 1:05 pm

Batteries Plus sells the PC 680 and most of the time they have them in stock. I put on in my bike earlier this year, and it works great.
post #10 of 15 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 1:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerStar
Hi Garry;

If you can wait out the delivery time go to www.digikey.com and search for a Panasonic LC-X1220P. You'll find the battery around $77CDN plus $8 shipping and GST only, no PST. They drop ship on the Canadian side of the border daily so no Customs clearance, or charges, for you. It's a typical lead acid (fillable, not sealed) battery and is at least equivalent to the original. I remember phoning battery suppliers around Toronto and the odd one will have the Odyssey at around $180. I decided I'd take the chance on two replacements at the cheaper price than gamble on a longer life with the more expensive battery .......... All debatable opinions of course!!!

Steve Collier
'05 KLT
That is a top notch battery, you will get exceptionally long service life from it. An excellent choice.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #11 of 15 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 1:30 pm Thread Starter

Ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
That is a top notch battery, you will get exceptionally long service life from it. An excellent choice.
Ordered the LC-X1220P $76.64 cdn + $8.00 shipping + $5.08 tax

They had over 1500 in stock, hope to get it ASAP.

Thanks All
Garry

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #12 of 15 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 1:44 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuber
I have the Panasonic LC-X1220P battery. However, mine is a sealed lead acid battery and it has a slightly higher capacity than the standard BMW battery.
I bought one of them on line and it was ready to use when I received it, no charging required. In fact I installed the battery some 3 months after receiving and it still had a full charge.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #13 of 15 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 2:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
I bought one of them on line and it was ready to use when I received it, no charging required. In fact I installed the battery some 3 months after receiving and it still had a full charge.
I have quit using my battery tender with the Panasonic battery. I bought the battery tender to use with the BMW battery because the stock battery would have problems maintaining a charge if I didn't ride for 4-5 days. This is not a problem with the Panasonic battery.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #14 of 15 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 8:06 am

Try http://www.ebatteriestogo.com/landin...t/UB22-12N.htm. I bought the UPG battery earlier this year and it has been great.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #15 of 15 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 9:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_kramer
Ordered the LC-X1220P $76.64 cdn + $8.00 shipping + $5.08 tax
My dash is doing some funny stuff. I lose everything when the outside temp goes high, even the center stand does not work. Once the temp cools down in the low 20s C it all starts working again. I may need a new battery soon.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in