New owner - is this normal? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 5:42 pm Thread Starter

New owner - is this normal?

I have a 2000 K1200LT with 14,500 mi on it (it had 13,000 when i bought it). It has a noticable "clunk" when you start and stop - mainly starting. It sounds and feels like it is right under the drivers seat in the drivetrain - perhaps where the gearbox mates with the driveshaft????? I don't know if this is a normal thing for this bike or a sign of problems? I have looked on the board and only found discussion about the brake disc issue, but I think mine is further forward. Any ideas or info is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 5:49 pm

Thumbs up slack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjasonl
I have a 2000 K1200LT with 14,500 mi on it (it had 13,000 when i bought it). It has a noticable "clunk" when you start and stop - mainly starting. It sounds and feels like it is right under the drivers seat in the drivetrain - perhaps where the gearbox mates with the driveshaft????? I don't know if this is a normal thing for this bike or a sign of problems? I have looked on the board and only found discussion about the brake disc issue, but I think mine is further forward. Any ideas or info is appreciated!

There is a little slack between the transmission and the final drive. If you put the bike on the center stand and in gear. You should be able to turn the rear wheel forward and back rotating a couple inches. I believe that is normal.

If you're coasting to a stop with the clutch lever squeezed, the slack may be there when you let the clutch out again and hear a cluck.

I seldom hear it though, on my bike.

Might want to check it further sometime.

Just my .02.

The guru's here will set you straight on the subject, I'm sure. I just happen to be one of the first to read your post.

Welcome and enjoy the RIDE!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #3 of 11 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 7:42 pm

Quote:
Hi, Jason - welcome to this leetle corner of the universe. Good to see you on board.

Lissen, Port Orchard is right in amongst several other LT rider's locations, from places like Bellevue and Bremerton, etc. I suggest that you hook up with one or two of 'em and compare 'noises'! Many, many times, noises are normal, and then other times, it's *never heard of that one before*!! A quick 'advanced search' on the member list will turn up a roster of folks in your area, cuz you can fine tune the search engine to get pretty specific.

Good luck with finding the 'noise' source, and I hope it's a routine one, heard by other folks.

Ride safe.

post #4 of 11 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 9:27 pm

I have a noise in my 05. I think it is when the clutch is engaging. It only happens when I am in first gear in heavy traffic stopping and going a lot.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #5 of 11 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 10:28 pm

Clunker

I have an oolt had 20k on it when purchased last year have 35k on it
now I also noticed this clunking, but now I hardy ever hear or feel it as I'm
much smoother with the take off and start. Also have had no problems with
the bike. Just start enjoying the ride.
post #6 of 11 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 9:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwriderm
I have an oolt had 20k on it when purchased last year have 35k on it
now I also noticed this clunking, but now I hardy ever hear or feel it as I'm
much smoother with the take off and start. Also have had no problems with
the bike. Just start enjoying the ride.
If you have the revs up high enough you will not hear it....OR much else for that matter:-)

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #7 of 11 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 9:53 am

Cool Clunk, clunk, junk!

Quote:
Howdy! I bought my 2000 with 2600 miles on it and it does, and did the same thing. I used to worry about it, but then I took it to 2 dealers, who test rode it and said "Normal, just ride it". So, relax and enjoy!

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448
post #8 of 11 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:07 am

Sounds to me like rear brake rattle. I have an '03 and heard the sounds you described... intermittent loud clunking noise on take-off, stopping and over rough pavement. After extensive research here on the site I was satisfied that I was hearing the slack in the rear disc brake pads and it is completely normal. In fact one guy calls them "cowbells" to give one an idea how noisey they can be. My 2 cents.
post #9 of 11 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:50 am

Talking Turning up

Radio or CD also is another option to rev ing the engine. Ear plugs is another option. Both work very well.

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #10 of 11 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 3:35 pm

Slap

It's just the slack in the drivetrain. Mine does it when in engage/disengage the clutch rapidly...

It's normal.

Just ride it.. Once you get used to the bike you'll learn how to ride it without making all those funny noises.. There's some pretty cool noises in the valve train as well...

Good Luck

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #11 of 11 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 4:20 pm

Wink Abby, Abby Normal

Like K bike rattle, and K bike whine, K bike clunk is normal.

Clunk is probably taking up slack in the driveline as suggested above.

CLLunKK... is not normal.

Now, someone tell me the difference between "Clunk" and "CLLunKK" by describing it over the internet.

If it starts, and it isn't leaking any fluids, ride it like you stole it (until it breaks or the fluids start leaking out).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in