Bike won't start - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 9:23 am Thread Starter

Bike won't start

Hopefully this is an easy one. This morning, I pushed my LT off the center stand. It came down sort of hard. When I went to start it, the neutral light was on but it won't crank at all even though the lights were bright. Then I found I couldn't shift it into gear. It seems like the gears are stuck - or something.

Any ideas??

Cheers - Jack
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 9:33 am
Lifetime Supporter

Cool

Start with the reverse switch and make sure it is all the way forward, and the kill switch is in the middle.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #3 of 9 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 10:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblalock
Start with the reverse switch and make sure it is all the way forward, and the kill switch is in the middle.

What he said.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need to stay awake

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 12:56 pm

Also pull the clutch in, might be a false natural, kick stand up......

2002LTC 102,000
1979 Honda CX 500 50,000..Sold
1983 FJ1100 Sold
Don.
post #5 of 9 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 6:03 pm

Thumbs up battery connections

If it hasn't started by checking the above already mentioned, maybe the jar did something to the battery or it's connections.

Can you roll the bike? Maybe it's not in neutral.Without the engine running, it is sometimes hard to get the shift lever to do anything. Nothing spinning in there to allow movement of gears.

Just my .02. Can't garrantee it's worth. LOL

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #6 of 9 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 11:09 pm Thread Starter

Red face Embarrassed

You were right. I had backed it into my sister's garage and put it up on the center stand. This morning when I tried to start it I forgot to take it out of reverse!

Can I blame the lack of my first cup of coffee? It certainly couldn't be old age...

Thanks for your replies!

Cheers - Jack
post #7 of 9 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 11:45 pm

Cheap fix!

edit:.. so, look at the bright side.. you have a successful "override switch" test...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 9 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 9:26 am

It sure is nice when a problem becomes such a simple fix. All part of learning about how the bike works.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #9 of 9 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:15 am
Lifetime Supporter

Wink

That reverser is something most of us have experienced. I called my wrench on mine.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in