Gearbox pulled out, what else to check? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 1:51 am Thread Starter

Question Gearbox pulled out, what else to check?

Now guys, many of you have gone "deeper" inside the LT as I have just concentrated on the farkleizing business, so some advise would be appreciated:

Some time next week my gearbox will be changed due to the skid plate touch down I experienced last week. http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25585

The work will be done by the dealer and the insurance company will cover the cost of the new tranny + labor. Now that the drivetrain is all apart, what all things should I ask for the tech to carry out on my expense?

My clutch feels OK , I think. It could be just reading too many horror stories about slipping clutches that I have sometimes had a fraction of second feeling that my clutch is slipping. It´s probably not. I guess a professional tech can see the condition of the clutch if I ask him to do so. Will the clutch become visible when the gearbox is pulled out or will need some extra effort to get into? Of course now that I will be riding my bike to the dealer about 150 km distance I could of course do some hard accelerations and see if the clutch has any slippage symptoms...

What about the famous slave cylinder? What all parts would you change just as a precaution? Yes, the weep hole will be drilled!

In last service my tech noticed a very small leak which seemed to come from the seal between the gearbox and the engine. This leak is very minimal as so far I have not seen a single drop of oil on my floor. Just enough to keep the bottom of the engine and gearbox kinda black and messy looking. So I hope this will be fixed automatically.

The rear drive bearing could be changed as well, I guess. Or am I suffering of paranoia?

Anything else?

My bike is manufactured in Dec. -03, it is the '05 model as you Americans call it. It has 66.000 km ( 41.000 miles) on it.

Thanks for the input in advance .

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 8:33 am

Ari...
Have the engine output shaft seal changed. Ask that they verify the crankshaft(engine output) shaft is not damaged (Standard repair proceedure)... just ask... =)

Also, it is konw that the Slaves "leak" over time... could be normal to "weep" as you're seeing between engine and gearbox.. but I'd have it replaced "while in there".

Your personal wrench guy should be able to tell you how much of the clutch is 'worn' away. If you're planning to keep the Farkle Platform, Sunset Cruiser II, then decide. For me.. replace the Clutch and Pressure plate and Flywheel whenever you replace the "clutch"... There is very little risk that the "clutch" assembly will fail.... but ask your wrench if that would be a "warranty" coverage to replace if it fails.

I would definitely "drill" the weep holes in the Slave and Gearbox. The only difference being I would bring a "plug" of some type for the clutch area since your environment tends to be a bit damper than some... I would then pull the plug at my oil changes... and keep an eye on oil dampness around it... a sign of problems...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #3 of 12 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 9:49 am Thread Starter

Hi Channing and thanks for your advise.

Just to confirm to you and others as well, that yes, I plan to keep this bike for quite some time yet. I can consider getting a new one maybe one or two years after BMW introduces the next generation LT. I let somebody else do the pioneering and test rabbit thing...

In the "worst case" I still ride this bike to CCR 2011 where ever it will be located. (Any hints..?) I try to make it there with my wife this time.

I still have a question: I know about the slave cylinder weep hole but what and where is the gearbox weep hole? I think I just made one by myself but that was not a success..

Best regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #4 of 12 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 11:49 am
Lifetime Supporter

When my '02 was apart for a new clutch caused by leaking engine seal, after consulting with the service guys, I had all the seals in the engine and trans replaced, a new clutch slave master (the redesigned part), and the weep holes drilled. Due to the cost you don't want to have to back in there for a long time.

Motor On ,/'

post #5 of 12 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 12:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
I still have a question: I know about the slave cylinder weep hole but what and where is the gearbox weep hole? I think I just made one by myself but that was not a success..
Ari, try this thread.

Dave

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
post #6 of 12 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 1:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
Hi Channing and thanks for your advise.

Best regards
Hi, Ari -

I think Channing is referring to the clutch housing/casing - not the 'gearbox' or transmission unit. Slap me if I'm wrong, butt don't tell Channing!!! Good luck with your 'project', Ari --- I know you'd rather be farkelizing instead of 'repairing'!!

Best Regards.
post #7 of 12 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 2:48 pm

Ari,
Glad you asked.. and Dick gave you good info... do NOT put ANOTHER hole in your GEARBOX.. DOH!!!

I was indeed speaking of what automotive folks call the "bell housing" which is where the clutch resides. This area is exposed to the GEARBOX input shaft and the ENGINE output shaft (crankshaft).

With a small (2mm) hole drilled at the bottom (6-o-clock position) of the the BELL HOUSING's lowest point, fluid should leak out rather than contaminate the clutch. Of course ANY leak there is "undesirable".... Cars typically leak at the rear main seals without damaging the clutches... so I can only assume the design of the LT allows the fluid to be spun around inside the bellhousing rather than leak out...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 12 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 5:43 am Thread Starter

Hi Dave and others,

thanks a lot, that was a very good and informative thread! Now I am pretty much on the map again.

I 'll keep you posted on how things proceed and how many holes in various locations we end up drilling .

Best regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #9 of 12 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 4:40 pm Thread Starter

Update on the new gearbox

My bike has been at the dealer for about two weeks now waiting for the new gearbox and time from the technician to tackle the project.

Today I received some pictures of the project and also a request from the wrench to come up and help him putting the bike together. He got somewhat lost with some of the extra wires and connectors...
No problem with that, I actually offered to come and help him as usual.

He also explained that the new tranny came complete with a new slave cylinder but he drilled the weep hole in the housing anyway.
he also drilled TWO inspection holes in the clutch housing. One in the bottom and one on the top. These upper one is for the borescope inspection.

I have been bikeless now for two weeks and I have been kinda crawling up the walls already. Luckily I have been busy with work related travelling, part of which I could have ridden of course. Especially in the +30 C weather we are currently enjoying..

Updated pictures from the workshop are here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/pozoizqu...GEARBOXHOUSING

Thanks for all the good advise from everybody! Let's hope there will not be many left-over parts tomorrow.

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #10 of 12 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 4:57 pm

Feel for ya

Ari, your bike looks just about like mine does at the moment...although mine has about 3km less wires...

Did you get any precise measurements on size & location of your inspection holes?

How accessible will your inspection holes be after the bike is all back together? Will it require any disassembly to access? Or will you line up similar holes in every layer out thru the Tupperware?

I'm surprised I haven't heard you describe plans for an onboard video clutch monitor viewed via your GPS screen.

Get well soon!

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
post #11 of 12 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 5:07 pm Thread Starter

Hi Dave

and thanks for the good wishes!

I have not seen the bike with my own eyes yet. The dealer is about 100 miles North from my hometown. I will drive there early tomorrow with all the parts that I already stripped from it before riding it to the dealer with a leaking gearbox.

I will report more after we have the bike finally together. Now it's getting late up here...

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #12 of 12 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 10:08 pm

dohhh! Dave.. don't need to give Ari any ideas!!!! Right Ari?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in