Gearbox Tale of Whoa - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 24th, 2007, 10:41 pm Thread Starter

Gearbox Tale of Whoa

I recently sold my high milage '99 K12LTC to a friend and purchased a low milage '03 for myself. We were both on a ride a couple of weekends ago when he tried to downshift and got stuck in 4th gear. We pulled over and checked out linkage, but it seemed to be a problem inside the gearbox.

So, Sunday we pulled the gearbox out of the '99 and when we opened the drain plug we got pieces of mettle and the foulest smelling oil.

Today, my friend took the gearbox over to one of our 3 Houston dealerships and the service manager told him to forget it and purchase a new gearbox to the tune of $3K.

Well... even with all the mettle that came out of that tranny, he rode ~75 miles home on it the day it broke and there were no grinding sounds. So I'm thinking that there is still a chance that the problem is with the syncros and the shifting mechanism and not the main gears.

What do you super users think of this failure? Have we heard of this type of failure before? Should we expect the dealer's service department to at least make an effort to see what is wrong before suggesting spending that kind of money on a '99 with 97K miles?

Also, if we really should not be trying to rebuild this gearbox, where would we start looking for a used replacement?

Thanks for your advice and opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 1:57 am

Would be worth a 'look see' to know where the bits came from. Total judgment call and I wasn't at any hotel last night.

For a used one - I assume you mean someplace other than the one most folks start with? beemerboneyard.com

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 2:28 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Zotter!

Of course... beemerboneyard. I knew that!

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 5:42 pm

Lightbulb I'd take it apart

Might be a good learning experience to take it apart before you spend the big bucks for another tranny. I'd like to see the inside of one instead of pics in my Clymer book!

Unless of course you are going to have a dealer to the work.

Just my .02

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 5:54 pm
Gold Supporter

The couple I had apart lost the bearing on the input shaft. It is not that hard to replace, but if you have a dealer do the work frequently you can find a used one cheaper than the labor involved. Good Luck.

Jim Davidson
2007 R1200RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in