New LT owner needs help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jul 24th, 2007, 7:56 pm Thread Starter
mos

New LT owner needs help

Well I went over to the dark side . Traded my 05 RT for an 05 LT. Don't know jack about the LT. I will have lots of questions .
I want to install my centrech fuse panel with relay . Where is the best place for that and where can I get keyed power for the relay ?

Where can I get a maint CD or manual ?

I am a tank bag guy what options do I have and who sells them ?

Bags do not remove so I guess I need some bag liners or do I ? who make them and where to buy?

That is it for now but I am sure I will have a lot more ????
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jul 24th, 2007, 8:05 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Congrats on your new bike.

Your dealer has the manual and CD - pick your choice. You can also now buy non factory maintenance manual from Clymer (sp?).

Tank bags:

Factory small bag
Chicane small bag
Chicane large bag
RKA expandable small
RKA expandable large
Marsee bag/expandable

There are others as well.

Saddlebag liners and top case liners

Kathy's bags
Beemerbags
RKA bags
Factory bags

You might want to check out our accessory page under Technical from the menu bar above.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 14 Old Jul 24th, 2007, 8:40 pm

Yup.. there are plenty of options.. comes down to what you "prefer"...

Welcome aboard.. the farkling never ends.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Jul 24th, 2007, 9:36 pm

Tank Bag

I have a Sargent Metro bag. I just use the top loop over the stingray and let the bottom just set there and I can adjust it left or right for tight turns.

Love it. Has a big map pocket on top.

John Robinson
Shawnee, KS
2003 K1200 LTE
post #5 of 14 Old Jul 24th, 2007, 9:45 pm

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos
I want to install my centrech fuse panel with relay . Where is the best place for that and where can I get keyed power for the relay ?
You can get switched power from the heated seats circuit, fuse box #2 (the one on the rightmost side of the bike), fuse #5 (top row, second one from the right).

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old Jul 24th, 2007, 9:48 pm

Exclamation

When purchasing saddlebag liners, specify if your LT has the CD changer in the right panier as there are 2 versions. If it does then the smaller bag will be appropriate, also meaning that you will have less space for luggage.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #7 of 14 Old Jul 24th, 2007, 9:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos
Well I went over to the dark side . Traded my 05 RT for an 05 LT. Don't know jack about the LT. I will have lots of questions .

Bags do not remove so I guess I need some bag liners or do I ? who make them and where to buy?

Mike
I got the CD thrown in as part of my purchase. BMW offers no paper manual.

I bought Kathy's Journey liners and a trunk bag from Bob's BMW and they look like quality bags. I haven't yet used them seriously though to test their durability, but they fit well and appear to be well made.

Voyager
post #8 of 14 Old Jul 24th, 2007, 10:11 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Welcome from another REAL new LT owner from a Harley Road Glide.

Love the LT like no other "Bagger" style bike I have ridden

I just bought this setup to put my MotoLites on I took of my Road Glide.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Home/Ma...AP-1/ap-1.html

Bummer for me is, to do a Proper install you must pull the tank and the Tupperware to get power to the front under the gas tank.

As to wiring from what I am reading, the heater seat relay is where most tap in for switched power to the relay. I Have never seen in person or a pic of one. I will before I mess with it

I hope in the first weekend in August I get to witness a Tupperware Party, to take some of the fear factor out for me. And I will also get to see how someone else installed a fuse block.

This is the first time even with a printed FM, I will not go "blindly into the night" on this machine. The wrenching does not scare me, it is getting to what you need to wrench that is my biggest adjustment.

I have to say, I fall more in love with this bike every mile I put on it.

I just keep saying, welcome to the 21ST Century.

I do sit and stare at it on my carport. I don't make noises though

I hope you are as happy..........

I hope you enjoy yours, as much as I do mine
post #9 of 14 Old Jul 24th, 2007, 11:05 pm
cws

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
Bummer for me is, to do a Proper install you must pull the tank and the Tupperware to get power to the front under the gas tank.
Not necessary to pull the tank (tupperware yes, to make it easier, but maybe not necessary either). There's a cable tunnel (tube?) under the RH side where the loom passes through. Push a metal wire (I used a straightened coathanger) through from front along the exisiting cables, and it should poke out near the battery. Just tape & drag a new cable back tied to the wire, no need to pull the tank off. I ran a power wire and a new earth lead that way.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #10 of 14 Old Jul 24th, 2007, 11:36 pm

I'm new, too (2005 bought 7/18/07).

I've been looking at the Cee Bailey bags but I don't know anything about them. Cee Bailey is about 10 minutes from my apartment so I'm going to swing by there and check 'em out. I'll post my opinion once I do.

Here's the link: http://www.ceebaileys.com/bags/bmw_bags.html

Mike
post #11 of 14 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 8:35 am

SJbowles was telling us at his tech session that to save some underseat clutter, he put his fuse block and relays in the space vacated by the vapor cannister under the trunk. That's a mod you may as well do if not already done. Search it. Yes, a bit harder to get to, but not too hard to remove trunk. Would have to plan ahead.

Congrats, and enjoy the new ride. It just gets better from here.
Randy
post #12 of 14 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 10:44 am Thread Starter
mos

good idea ...I will check it out
post #13 of 14 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 12:56 pm

Smile Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos

Mike
Howdy, Mike!

For starters, how about updating your profile so we know a little more aboutcha.

Lotsa folks tap into the seat heater wire to drive their farkle relay. There's easy access to this: look for the wire connection Ty-rapped to the left seat frame just aft of the fuel tank. You might hafta pull a bit of left side tupperware the first time, just to snip & relocate the Ty-rap so you can disconnect the seat heater easily from then on. You'll wanna tap into the bike side of the connector so you can still get the seat off by itself without taking your relay wire with it.

It's definitely *possible* to pull a wire from back to front without pulling the tank off - there are some photos and posts around here to coach you through that. I personally found, however, that it was well worth the extra hour or two to pull the tank loose the first time (didn't have to take it all the way off or disconnect hoses - just a couple bolts or so). This way, I got a real good look at what's underneath, and now I fully understand where the secret passage is and how to navigate it blind. On the other hand, if you're short on time, and/or have someone with you who has snaked the tunnel, you might take that route instead.

With a used bike, if you have the time and the mechanical aptitude, it's almost always worth pulling another layer of parts off to see what the PO (or their dealer) screwed up. My PO's dealer left one of the seat subframe mounting bolts off...

If you're into farkles, you need to read up on pozo_izquierdo's threads. He's the motherlode of inspiration for us mortals.

Don't spend too much time wrenchin' though! Get out & ride!

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)

Last edited by Schweintechnik; Jul 25th, 2007 at 12:58 pm. Reason: left out a word
post #14 of 14 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 3:03 pm

Good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweintechnik
Howdy, Mike!
With a used bike, if you have the time and the mechanical aptitude, it's almost always worth pulling another layer of parts off to see what the PO (or their dealer) screwed up. My PO's dealer left one of the seat subframe mounting bolts off...

If you're into farkles, you need to read up on pozo_izquierdo's threads. He's the motherlode of inspiration for us mortals.

Don't spend too much time wrenchin' though! Get out & ride!
Good point.. give the bike a "once over" to make SURE any "modification" were properly done.

Someone on this site recently bought a bike that fried part or all of the wiring harness...

Just a risk of life....

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in