re-painting lower trim question... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 8:14 pm Thread Starter

re-painting lower trim question...

I have an '04 LT, "Dark metallic graphite" over lighter grey. The bottom paint is a matte finish and has not faired well (no pun intended) in the battle against small pebbles/road debris and on one side when the beast flopped over in the Condor "can't possibly fall over" bike chock.

So I was washing the bike this weekend and thinking, "it would be a gigantic waste of time and effort to try and use touch up paint on the dozens and dozens of tiny rock dings on the front lower fairing, at some point, I'll probably have to have all of the bottom tupperware sprayed."

Then I wondered, "what would this look like if the bottom tupperware was a different color?" Clearcoated black perhaps? One of the reasons I've always really liked the silver LT's is that the top and bottom "halves" if you will are visually the same color, maybe matching top and bottom with the same dark metallic graphite? Hell, maybe an old-fashioned flame job?

Anyone changed colors on the bottom half? Pics to share?

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 8:26 pm

Wonder what colors they have for Rhino Bed Liner in a rattle can??

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
I have an '04 LT, "Dark metallic graphite" over lighter grey. The bottom paint is a matte finish and has not faired well (no pun intended) in the battle against small pebbles/road debris and on one side when the beast flopped over in the Condor "can't possibly fall over" bike chock.

So I was washing the bike this weekend and thinking, "it would be a gigantic waste of time and effort to try and use touch up paint on the dozens and dozens of tiny rock dings on the front lower fairing, at some point, I'll probably have to have all of the bottom tupperware sprayed."

Then I wondered, "what would this look like if the bottom tupperware was a different color?" Clearcoated black perhaps? One of the reasons I've always really liked the silver LT's is that the top and bottom "halves" if you will are visually the same color, maybe matching top and bottom with the same dark metallic graphite? Hell, maybe an old-fashioned flame job?

post #3 of 23 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 8:49 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:

(Hi-Jack)--- Hey Grif we got a nuthern with a warsh bucket !!! get the rope

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 23 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 9:38 pm

Pete... I'm going to put the rattle can bedliner like Dick suggested. Didn't have time to do the deed during last PM cycle... but will do it soon.. with all the rain, probably sooner than expected!!!

I have lots in this can to do several bikes I bet...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #5 of 23 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 9:48 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Pete... I'm going to put the rattle can bedliner like Dick suggested. Didn't have time to do the deed during last PM cycle... but will do it soon.. with all the rain, probably sooner than expected!!!

I have lots in this can to do several bikes I bet...

wouldn't the stuff I can put on with a roller come out mo' betta?

post #6 of 23 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 9:50 pm

I suppose the answer is "yes", Pete, a roller would put a thicker coat on... Can't hurt... and you can always "recoat" with the rattle can if you need to.. make sure you "prep" well.. you know, buff the paint well with a scotchbrite pad.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 23 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 9:55 pm

Quote:
I suppose the answer is "yes", Pete, a roller would put a thicker coat on... Can't hurt... and you can always "recoat" with the rattle can if you need to.. make sure you "prep" well.. you know, buff the paint well with a scotchbrite pad.
Ain't it hard to sniff off a roller?!?!

Lissen, 'fore this gits too far down the road, lemme tell ya the originator of using the bed liner in a rattle can. Yup, the Grif Scoot dude. I think he did Barbara's handle bar covers and some other skin locations. Looked great.

Y'all take some good pics, now. I might convince ole Toad to get a tat, too!!!
post #8 of 23 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 10:00 pm

With a roller you might not have to pull off the lower center fairing... hmmmm... still, harder to sniff for full enjoyment.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #9 of 23 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 11:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Ain't it hard to sniff off a roller?!?!

Lissen, 'fore this gits too far down the road, lemme tell ya the originator of using the bed liner in a rattle can. Yup, the Grif Scoot dude. I think he did Barbara's handle bar covers and some other skin locations. Looked great.

Y'all take some good pics, now. I might convince ole Toad to get a tat, too!!!

OK, tell me you're kidding now...teasing a guy with a brain tumor is like playing keep-away with the retarded kids on the playground!

seriously, has anyone re-painted the bottom section of their LT a color other than the stock light grey? lol

post #10 of 23 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 11:49 pm

Quote:
OK, tell me you're kidding now...teasing a guy with a brain tumor is like playing keep-away with the retarded kids on the playground!

seriously, has anyone re-painted the bottom section of their LT a color other than the stock light grey? lol
Siriusly - they have. Butt for the life of me, I can't get back to who.m...ever it wuz. Grif may know - he's still out delivering payroll, or cleaning out the shutdown shop.

BTW - I'd do it in a heartbeat, butt I'm so damn lazy lately, what with all the rain causing a back-up in my honey-do-do list. I hate bein' in a funk!!

Maybe we oughta do a 'group spray'!! (ok, so it's not hysterical ). Your place, or Grif's??
post #11 of 23 Old Jul 24th, 2007, 12:05 am

Ok.. this is sounding like a Cat Herding roundup with the sprayin' and all...hehe..

Seriously, Pete.. no foolin... I have a rattle can of the spray goop I'm going to assault Misty with in the near future... I really DISLIKE the tire spray pattern on the center part of the fairing.

If you have some "roll on" stuff, that would be easier to apply than removing the fairing...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #12 of 23 Old Jul 24th, 2007, 9:05 am

Quote:
Ok.. this is sounding like a Cat Herding roundup with the sprayin' and all...hehe..

Seriously, Pete.. no foolin... I have a rattle can of the spray goop I'm going to assault Misty with in the near future... I really DISLIKE the tire spray pattern on the center part of the fairing.

If you have some "roll on" stuff, that would be easier to apply than removing the fairing...
Yo, Channing --- slight tete-a-tete (don't know where to put them leetle umlaut thangies!). I know you know that one of the keys to successful painting results, is the 'prep' work. Being 'of age', I gotta tell ya I'd rather pull the lowers and work off-bike to prep 'em than to work on-bike. Got 'em off to 'prep' 'em, just would seem easier to hang 'em on a string and git-r-done.

BTW - I wuz thinkin' of just doin' the chin piece. Then I got to lookin' and ole Toad's side panels are just about as beat up as the chin. Guess I'll do the whole thang.
post #13 of 23 Old Jul 24th, 2007, 9:32 am

Hey, Dick! "message received" on the "prep once, paint once"...

You are correct about the "chin" part.. it really takes a beating! I'm surprised there isn't a longer fender xten-shun to cover that... hmmmmm.. sounds like an opportunity for a "cottage industry"...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #14 of 23 Old Jul 24th, 2007, 9:43 am

Quote:

You are correct about the "chin" part.. it really takes a beating! I'm surprised there isn't a longer fender xten-shun to cover that... hmmmmm.. sounds like an opportunity for a "cottage industry"...
There is one for the LT, Channing. Takes some drilling into OEM, I think; and folks are loathe to do that. Least ole Toad won't lemme do it!!
post #15 of 23 Old Jul 24th, 2007, 1:33 pm

Quote:

Gotcha' covered - for peanuts! (#4 in the pictures)

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...&sb=5&o=7&vc=1

(BTW, I ended up using black plastic christmas tree fasteners instead of the rivets, no worries about oxidation and a snap (literally) to install.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #16 of 23 Old Jul 24th, 2007, 3:11 pm

Thanks, Ron!!! I thought I'd seen it done somewhere before!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #17 of 23 Old Jul 24th, 2007, 3:25 pm

I added a "Fenda-Extenda" about a year ago. Instead of using the screws that were supplied to attach it, I used plastic pipe glue that can be found at any hardware store. Easy to apply, dried quickly and has held strong since. Makes a big difference on the front lower fairing. dwillie.
post #18 of 23 Old Jul 24th, 2007, 7:26 pm

dwillie.. pics, pard... plz..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #19 of 23 Old Jul 24th, 2007, 9:17 pm

Smile re-painting lower fairing

hi pete. I have a 03 LT in impala brown. two years ago wife went to the grand canyon and vegas. while riding around out west the front tire picks up sand from the road. when we got home it looked like some one sand blasted the lower tupper ware. I wanted a change so i went to a local custom paint shop(bikes-street rods ect.) they painted the 3 lower panels,the 2 strips on the bags,the 2 saddle bag latches and the 2 plastic egg crate pieces at the radiator discharge. they used House Of Kolor paint. BMW uses a high quality paint. i would stick with a custom paint or one from a high end car mfg. GM,Ford and Chrysler paint chips when held up to the bike look bland. the work cost $500.00. I like the way it looks,better yet the wife likes it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike 001.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	561.2 KB
ID:	13335   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike 002.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	596.1 KB
ID:	13336   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike 003.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	529.0 KB
ID:	13337  
post #20 of 23 Old Jul 24th, 2007, 9:29 pm

Very Nice Dan!!! HOK makes some really cool paint - maybe a color shifting reptile skin like paint job....hmmmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrown
hi pete. I have a 03 LT in impala brown. two years ago wife went to the grand canyon and vegas. while riding around out west the front tire picks up sand from the road. when we got home it looked like some one sand blasted the lower tupper ware. I wanted a change so i went to a local custom paint shop(bikes-street rods ect.) they painted the 3 lower panels,the 2 strips on the bags,the 2 saddle bag latches and the 2 plastic egg crate pieces at the radiator discharge. they used House Of Kolor paint. BMW uses a high quality paint. i would stick with a custom paint or one from a high end car mfg. GM,Ford and Chrysler paint chips when held up to the bike look bland. the work cost $500.00. I like the way it looks,better yet the wife likes it.
post #21 of 23 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 1:37 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrown

well, you had me right up to "the wife likes it..." lol

very nice.

post #22 of 23 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 8:32 am

Dan's bike does look good. I was going to say you needed to see it. Nice effect and looks great in peson too. A darker bottom color may "lighten" the appearance of the LT too.

Randy
post #23 of 23 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 1:44 pm

Quote:
dwillie.. pics, pard... plz..
Hi Deacon. No pics,.........no camera............Sorry. but look at Dan's first picture of his bronze LT. You can see what I'd guess was a
Fenda-Extenda. Looks like he used screws which I'm sure works fine. I used that plastic pipe cement. Sets fast, and holds tight. No more dirty front cowling. dwillie.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in