Confirming bad brake relay - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 10:46 pm Thread Starter

Wink Confirming bad brake relay

I have recently experienced the brake light staying on while riding and after shutting off the ignition. I appreciate the various posts regarding this problem, and the suggestion that it is the relay. I am sure that is my problem, and here is a way to confirm it.
1. Lift the seat.
2. Squeeze the front brake lever lightly and confirm the "click" from the switch.
3. Do the same for the rear brake pedal. If you don't hear the switch "click" you may have a switch problem, don't go any further with this until you can confirm the switches are working properly.
4. Squeeze the front brake lever lightly and turn on the ignition. DO NOT start the bike.
5. Quickly release the lever and re-squeeze - each time you do this you should be able to hear the relay activate - get your ear down by the rear of the gas tank. If the brake lights are staying on, you will not hear a click. Sometimes I have had to pull the fuse and wait a while to get the brake lights to work properly again.
6. If you release the brake lever too long, the ABS kicks in and the noise of the pumps will drown out the relay activation noise.
Good luck!
Bill Jones
Crystal Lake, IL
2002 Titan silver

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in