Grip Puppies, bought 'em, like 'em! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 10:20 pm Thread Starter

Grip Puppies, bought 'em, like 'em!

From advice read on this board I decided to buy a pair of Grip Puppies.

From time to time I get a fair amount of pain between my thumb and forefinger on my right hand. The narrow grips on the LT really get to me after a few hours.

I ordered a pair of Grip Puppies http://www.casporttouring.com/store/...Category_Code=

I ordered the small size as reccomended here. Installation was a breeze, about 10 minutes total. Two things I would be careful with. I used dish soap and water as in the instructions. Be careful not to get this on the outside of the Grip. I did, and it made it much harder to install since they were quite slippery. Do not hold them up to your current grip and think they are too long and cut off a portion. They fit perfectly as they come. Good thing I bought two pair

My first impressions are that they are very comfortable. The larger grip diameter is much better for me and the sponginess really makes them pleasant to hold on to.

I have no experience with using the heated grips with these so I cannot make a comment there.

If you have similar comfort issues to mine, this is a great way to go. Cheap, easy to install and works!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 11:25 pm

I'm ready to get a set too - except for one question.

Here in the Rockies, it can get a tad coolish at times. I like my heated grips. How badly do the grip puppies interfere - if at all - with the grip heaters?

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 52 Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 11:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantime
From advice read on this board I decided to buy a pair of Grip Puppies.

From time to time I get a fair amount of pain between my thumb and forefinger on my right hand. The narrow grips on the LT really get to me after a few hours.

I ordered a pair of Grip Puppies http://www.casporttouring.com/store/...Category_Code=

I ordered the small size as reccomended here. Installation was a breeze, about 10 minutes total. Two things I would be careful with. I used dish soap and water as in the instructions. Be careful not to get this on the outside of the Grip. I did, and it made it much harder to install since they were quite slippery. Do not hold them up to your current grip and think they are too long and cut off a portion. They fit perfectly as they come. Good thing I bought two pair

My first impressions are that they are very comfortable. The larger grip diameter is much better for me and the sponginess really makes them pleasant to hold on to.

I have no experience with using the heated grips with these so I cannot make a comment there.

If you have similar comfort issues to mine, this is a great way to go. Cheap, easy to install and works!
+1 on the Grip Puppies. Bruce Coleman up in the Dallas area sent me a pair (actually two pairs, cuz I gave the first pair to the 7-year old next door to put on his Razor Scooter). Like you said - easy install. I just wish I hadn't cut the left one. It looked like it wuz gonna be too long and my FRS ptt switch wuz gonna be in the way. Nope, woulda fit just fine. I finally managed to take off the shortened piece; push on the cut-off piece; and put the other piece back on. Small seamage there, butt it don't care and neither do me or ole Toad. Good advice about not cutting.

I have ridden in somewhat cold weather and they don't seem to impede the heat flow, once they're warmed up.

BTW - kid next door axed his mom if he could git heated grips for his Razor like ole Toad!!

post #4 of 52 Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 11:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

"I have ridden in somewhat cold weather and they don't seem to impede the heat flow, once they're warmed up. "

+1 to Dick's comment. . .
A couple of times I've accidentally turned on the heated grips switch and I notice the warmth to my summer riding gloves through those puppies.

My right hand used to go numb . . no more

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #5 of 52 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 1:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
How badly do the grip puppies interfere - if at all - with the grip heaters?
Not at all. After getting and installing a pair on my LT, I tried the heaters and could tell no difference in how the heat felt/functioned.
post #6 of 52 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 1:10 am

Good enough for me!

Thanks guys.

Tate

post #7 of 52 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 8:12 am

Heated grips work fine. Best thing you won't be replacing your heated grips. These protect the expensive BMW grips. I had a bit of a time getting use to the thicker grip, but this went away.

Tom & Donna
2006 BMW K1200LT
Unigo Trailer
Albuquerque, New Mexico

post #8 of 52 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 8:40 am

Quote:
Thanks for the review Brian. I ordered a pair, and promise not to cut them before installation!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #9 of 52 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 8:47 am

Just ordered a pair.
post #10 of 52 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 10:00 am

Talking

Also ordered a pair. Free shipping if you're not in a hurry!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #11 of 52 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 10:28 am

These hold up very well too. I'm on third season with same pair....sweat, heat, normal abuse of the grip....they're as good as they were the day I put them on.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #12 of 52 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 11:25 am

I have had'em on my bike and love'em. The heat works well and they are easier to hold on to. Better grip than stock.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #13 of 52 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 4:15 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

On all the positive posts on these I just ordered 2 sets.

One of my issues is the thinness of the grips they are a problem for me, especially twisting the wick.

Thank you for the endorsements.
post #14 of 52 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 8:02 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

They Shipped already
post #15 of 52 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 8:43 pm

I have a friend who has short fingers - will he have difficulty holding on to the Grip Puppies?
post #16 of 52 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 8:48 pm Thread Starter

Hi Shawn,

Not knowing any other information, I can't give you a great answer. I will say that I estimate they increase the diameter of the original grip by somewher between 20 and 30%. Please accept this as a gustimate.

I would say that if the original grips are anywhere close to being a stretch, I would not reccomend the change.

Hope that helps,

Brian
post #17 of 52 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 10:19 pm

Quote:
Hi Shawn,

Not knowing any other information, I can't give you a great answer. I will say that I estimate they increase the diameter of the original grip by somewher between 20 and 30%. Please accept this as a gustimate.

I would say that if the original grips are anywhere close to being a stretch, I would not reccomend the change.

Hope that helps,

Brian
Thanks Brian... Yeah it does I....errrr, my friend.... has short fingers but not something terribly weird ....

Sounds like it might make for a softer more relaxed grip as welll...

Guess I'll follow the herd and order a set - if they don't work, i'll blame you!
post #18 of 52 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 10:27 pm

Na, no need to blame anyone - just trade your bike!

Tate

post #19 of 52 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 10:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Na, no need to blame anyone - just trade your bike!
Funny Tate... No way I'll do that...
post #20 of 52 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 11:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfxray

Guess I'll follow the herd and order a set - if they don't work, i'll blame you!

You...er...your friend will love them. It's great when something is easy and meets your expectations
post #21 of 52 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 11:53 pm

I just put my order in for a pair too. d.
post #22 of 52 Old Jul 24th, 2007, 11:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwillie
I just put my order in for a pair too. d.
You will like'em!

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #23 of 52 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 8:16 am

Use with Trottle Rocker?

Ok, you sold me on them too, but does anyone use them with a trottle rocker on the right grip? Will it fit over these?

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #24 of 52 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 8:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprdoorman
Ok, you sold me on them too, but does anyone use them with a trottle rocker on the right grip? Will it fit over these?
I have the one with the velcro strap and it works very well. Just pull it tight when you install it.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #25 of 52 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 7:15 pm

Sold me...just ordered them!!

Greg and Melanie

06 BMW K12LT "WANDRR"
05 DL1000 "WNDRR2"
02 Triumph Trophy 1200 "WNDRR3", in Heidelburg

WANDRR Motorcycle Tours
wandrrmotorcycletours.com
BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE
post #26 of 52 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 12:39 pm

Sold

Considered them when my '03 grips started cracking. Never got around to it before the bike was totalled. Just ordered 2 sets for the new bike. If I like them I will need another set for one of my buddies to have.

Pat Lynch
'07 K1200LT
'03 K1200LTE (Gone)
La Salle, MI
15 mi N. of Toledo

post #27 of 52 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 1:20 pm

I've had mine for about six months, & without the rocker, my right hand kept getting cramps - so I took the right one off. With the rocker, there's no problem. I suspect the issue may be related to throttle torque/spring load vs hand size.

The rocker has always fixed that problem for me... BTW, both work with the heated grips (turned on, that is...)
post #28 of 52 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 7:48 pm

i ordered my grip puppies tues...they were here thurs
post #29 of 52 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 8:54 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprdoorman
Yes! I just put mine on with the (original) Throttle Rocker last night. Seems to work fine.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #30 of 52 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:59 pm

Mine came in today. The throttle rocker did fit over them but, I'm thinking of trimming the grip & letting the rocker fit down flush with the grip.
post #31 of 52 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 4:35 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Yep, Mine came yesterday, on today

Very NICE.

Pic so others can see them on:

Lee

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #32 of 52 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 2:16 am

Received mine today, they go on tomorrow. What great service!! d.
post #33 of 52 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 7:23 am

Got mine, installed fairly easily.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #34 of 52 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 7:38 am

With all the positive energy this thread has been generating, I too ordered a couple of pairs.

Wow, I never liked most padded grips, but these feel great!

Thanks for the tip and the hardy recommendations!

BTW, I applied the soapy water solution to the BMW grips NOT the Grip Puppies and they pretty much just slid on. I think that is a better way than trying to lube the inside of a tube!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #35 of 52 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 11:01 am

good stuff

Just ordered 3pr (if they feel like a soft sponge I thing I had these on my 86K100RS liked them but couldn't find them again thanks)
post #36 of 52 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 3:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Cool

Ok, Ok.....I have the Grip Puppies(small) and what am I doing wrong to install? I've mixed Joy and water, Joy straight and Murphies and these things are fighting back. I got one on appx 1" and that seemed to be about it. Slick fingers, etc. I put it inside, I dipped it and I put it on the grip. No go! I have stripped my LT and this has been the hardest. Is it possible my grips aren't the same size as everyone else's?
Is it possible "size matters"?

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #37 of 52 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 3:30 pm

Cool

Patience is the key! They will go on, but it takes persistence, as they go a little at a time. But once they are on they ain't gonna slide off easily, and that's what ya want!

I managed to both pull from the inside, and push from the end in order to get mine on. And that is after I had soaped the inside of the grip puppies as well as the outside of the factory grips. Slow but sure.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblalock
Ok, Ok.....I have the Grip Puppies(small) and what am I doing wrong to install? I've mixed Joy and water, Joy straight and Murphies and these things are fighting back. I got one on appx 1" and that seemed to be about it. Slick fingers, etc. I put it inside, I dipped it and I put it on the grip. No go! I have stripped my LT and this has been the hardest. Is it possible my grips aren't the same size as everyone else's?
Is it possible "size matters"?

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #38 of 52 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 3:42 pm Thread Starter

I had the most success by turning while I pushed...then they just kind of...screwed on...

For me, getting them started past the wide end of the grip was the hardest part.

Brian
post #39 of 52 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 3:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Cool

I'll go at it again when I get home. A cool one, some slickum and patience(wife says I don't have any of that) and just maybe they'll give up.

Benton Blalock

'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #40 of 52 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 11:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Brian for the recommendation. I've always had problems with my right hand cramping on the LT...first bike I've ever had that problem with. I assumed it was due to the small diameter grips, so I've ordered a pair of Puppies.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #41 of 52 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 11:55 pm

I found the key was to twist the puppies as I pushed them into place. Work slowly with constant pressure. They're nice and comfy. dwillie.
post #42 of 52 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 7:57 am

If You Have it Use Air

I put mine on this weekend and had the same problem. My fingers got slick with soap and could not get a grip. I have a small air compressor in the garage I use for filling tires so I slipped the tip of a blow gun under the lip of the puppy and blew bursts of air in as I twisted and pulled. Worked like a charm. They slid right into position.

So far I really like them. Just back forth to work so far. No long trips yet but I feel I have a better grasp of the situation.

Bruce

Bruce Buchner
2017 R1200RT Platinum Bronze Metallic
2012 R1200RT Fluid Grey Metallic (Little Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2007 K1200LT Storm Grey Metallic (Big Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2001 325XI 4dr Sold
1967 2000CS Coupe (Left it in Germany)
post #43 of 52 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 10:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwillie
I found the key was to twist the puppies as I pushed them into place. Work slowly with constant pressure. They're nice and comfy. dwillie.
That's the key. Twist as you pull them on and once they are there, they will not move.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #44 of 52 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 3:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Cool Learned with this project

The Puppies are on but do not seem to make any difference in my right hand numbness.
I got real smart and decided I'd use that soap that foams as it exits the bottle. They slipped on so fast! Three minutes and they were on. Only problem is that stuff doesn't seem to dry. It even seemed to get slicker in the heat of the day. I could barely twist the throttle so I snatched them off.
Then I used rubbing alcohol, just like the bicycle shops do. Maybe 5 minutes to install but they are like glued on.
I think I like the extra thickness though.

Benton Blalock

230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #45 of 52 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 4:29 pm

Grip puppies

Best 8 bucks and change spent on the bike so far. I love the grip puppies.

It makes the grip size equivalent to my bars on my CR250. I just can't pop wheelies as easy on the LT like I can on my dirt bike though.

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
1992 Yamaha Virago 750 (given to friend)
River Oaks, TX
post #46 of 52 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:00 pm

whats the shelf life on these things? Think I better get three more before they runout or go up ! There was other grips like these but, with a little softer and thicker sponge on them ,had them on 86K100RS,liked them too could never find them again,buy two for each bike!
post #47 of 52 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 7:44 am

I just installed a throttle rocker ... didn't have time to get grip puppies before my trip ... WHAT A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE in holding the throttle.

Any difficulty in holding or working the stiff throttle with older LT's like mine (2002) GONE!
post #48 of 52 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petre
I just installed a throttle rocker ... didn't have time to get grip puppies before my trip ... WHAT A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE in holding the throttle.

Any difficulty in holding or working the stiff throttle with older LT's like mine (2002) GONE!
I have the throttle rocker over the grip puppies. Best of both worlds.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #49 of 52 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 7:08 pm
Human Behaviour Analyst

Re: Grip Puppies, bought 'em, like 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
I have the throttle rocker over the grip puppies. Best of both worlds.

Used a throttle rocker last season -- loved it (esspecially in the twisties where using Cruise doesn't work well) but it cut my OEM grip. Now there are ever expanding tears in my throttle side grip.
How do I order these Grip Puppies? Better yet, will the vendor be at Americade in a few weeks? If so I'll get them there.
Do they slip on over the OEM grips?
Keir
post #50 of 52 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 9:04 pm

Re: Grip Puppies, bought 'em, like 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkclark
Used a throttle rocker last season -- loved it (esspecially in the twisties where using Cruise doesn't work well) but it cut my OEM grip. Now there are ever expanding tears in my throttle side grip.
How do I order these Grip Puppies? Better yet, will the vendor be at Americade in a few weeks? If so I'll get them there.
Do they slip on over the OEM grips?
Keir
Check with the vendor here about being at Americade. Otherwise, you can order from their website, I think. And they do slip over the OEM grips.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in